What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A. J. Jenkins (1 Viewer)

chinawildman

Footballguy
I've been googling the heck out of this guy and thus far like what I see. But honestly before Goodell called his name, no one in 49er land had an inkling who this dude was, myself included. It's long shot, but it wouldn't surprise me for him to have a Denarius Moore type impact in his rookie season.

Reasons for:

1) Moss could flame out, Manningham could be another Brandon Jones (fragile), Ginn is ginn, Crabtree continues to disappoint.

2) Jenkins was very productive as the only real offensive threat on his team, often faced double teams, yet still caught 50% of passes thrown his way.

3) Smith could continue to progress given a full offseason in the new offense (doubtful, but hey who thought he'd beat Brees in a shootout?)

4) Very polished and smooth WR who ran a 4.3, makes things look "easy". Again referencing things said about Moore last season.

Reasons against:

1) Skinny build, not physically imposing like a "prototypical" #1 WR should be. (I will argue that plenty of WRs are his size and have been productive FF wrs -> Bruce, Holt, Wayne, Harrison, Smith, Maclin, etc...

2) Has to beat out 3 vets for a starting spot

3) Alex Smith

Of course these are just my observations from my research. Would love to hear more from anyone that knows more about the kid. The media has had little to say about him, I presume from a similar lack of information.

very productive last year at Illinois, saw him at Shrine Game in Tampa earlier this year, impressed me every day in practice, quick in and out of his breaks, knows how to count steps and set up defenders, savvy route runner, sticky hands, good sideline awareness, big fan of his game although I thought he would be a 2nd round pick....back in JAN scouts told me he would be a 4th or 5th round guy. Solid #2 WR in the pros.

Arguably has the best hands in the draft. Ran a lot of crosses. Didn't play to his speed, compared to a guy like Chris Givens. Can't get off press. Not strong enough to win jumpballs.

"In high school, his friends called him E.T. because of his large hands and long fingers!"

I've read this about 7 million times. Y'all know what they say about large hands....

I'm a huge Illini fan, and I won all three of my fantasy leagues last year (pats self on back), so I hope I have some credibility here...

I don't see AJ as a top fantasy WR. I cant believe he went in the first round, just like I couldn't believe he ran a sub 4.4 forty.

Illinois started last season 6-0, and then finished the season 0-6 before winning a bowl game.

Main reason we started so good was bc of Jenkins. Then he disappeared, and our lack of a vertical passing game killed us. Our line play was bad, but I think college teams were able to gameplay Jenkins out of the game, so what does that tell you?

And an aside, I hope AJ is amazing as a pro. But the idea that AJ was a 1st rounder and Rejus Benn was not is hard for me to believe.

The last time I got this EEEEEEEEEE feeling about a player it was Greg Jennings. They are very size in terms of size, speed, hands, route running and both came from small/bad schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
'keisersose said:
I'm a huge Illini fan, and I won all three of my fantasy leagues last year (pats self on back), so I hope I have some credibility here...

I don't see AJ as a top fantasy WR. I cant believe he went in the first round, just like I couldn't believe he ran a sub 4.4 forty.

Illinois started last season 6-0, and then finished the season 0-6 before winning a bowl game.

Main reason we started so good was bc of Jenkins. Then he disappeared, and our lack of a vertical passing game killed us. Our line play was bad, but I think college teams were able to gameplay Jenkins out of the game, so what does that tell you?

And an aside, I hope AJ is amazing as a pro. But the idea that AJ was a 1st rounder and Rejus Benn was not is hard for me to believe.
That your QB and the rest of the WR's sucked. Jenkins had the 90 catches - the next best receiver caught 26. Jenkins also caught 8 out of Scheelhasse's 13 TD's and 90 out of his 184 passes.Also, how did he disappear when he had 38 catches in those 6 losses?

What would you consider his weaknesses?

very productive last year at Illinois, saw him at Shrine Game in Tampa earlier this year, impressed me every day in practice, quick in and out of his breaks, knows how to count steps and set up defenders, savvy route runner, sticky hands, good sideline awareness, big fan of his game although I thought he would be a 2nd round pick....back in JAN scouts told me he would be a 4th or 5th round guy. Solid #2 WR in the pros.

6-0, 190.

The last time I got this EEEEEEEEEE feeling about a player it was Greg Jennings. They are very size in terms of size, speed, hands, route running and both came from small schools.
Big 10?
Correct, for some reason Illinois seems like small school.
Illinois seems like a small school? A big ten school, and in the last five years, Illinois has had more first round draft picks than any other big ten team. And regarding your other post abou Jenkins disappearance during the 0-6 stretch, we did lose our #2 WR Darius millines to injury, but it was the same QB that was throwing to him duringnth 6-0 start. I hope I'm wrong and AJ is a great NFL player...but Greg Jennings?

you can press him, so he'll need to work on his get off at the pro level, small size will have some question his durability.

I don't see why Jennings is not comparable to Jenkins, they were both the 4th wr taken in their respective drafts (Jennings behind Holmes, Chad Jackson, and Sinorice Moss) with similar size and weight and combine #s.

The last time I got this EEEEEEEEEE feeling about a player it was Greg Jennings. They are very size in terms of size, speed, hands, route running and both came from small schools.
Big 10?
Correct, for some reason Illinois seems like small school.
Illinois seems like a small school? A big ten school, and in the last five years, Illinois has had more first round draft picks than any other big ten team. And regarding your other post abou Jenkins disappearance during the 0-6 stretch, we did lose our #2 WR Darius millines to injury, but it was the same QB that was throwing to him duringnth 6-0 start. I hope I'm wrong and AJ is a great NFL player...but Greg Jennings?

Illinois has never really been known as "Air it Out U" so that is partially why WR coming out of U of I are not very highly known. That said, I am impressed by the numbers he put up last year as the focal point of that offense. His college stats are a bit better than Benn's and are on par with what Brandon Lloyd put up in college, although Lloyd left after his Junior season.

With the way NFL offenses move guys around now and do these catch and run plays etc., I think Jenkins could have a decent career. I am intrigued by the mention of Denarius Moore, and can see that type of thing happening. I look forward to camps to see what Jenkins can do.

This pick kind of reminds me of the Aldon Smith pick last year... When the 9ers took him most thought it was a bit early.. ASmith worked out pretty well and perhaps the Harbaugh scouting regime will go 2/2 with first round picks. The reality of this pick is that true its a first rounder but hes 15 minutes away from a second round pick...

AJ seems to have the Lyod like quickness in and out of his cuts and breaks, good hands and a bit undersized for a Full bodied #1 WR in the nfl... Others with his size have produced WR1 numbers but I think the 9ers offense may limit his upside.. He seems to be going anywhere from round 2-4 in rook drafts..

I've been googling the heck out of this guy and thus far like what I see. But honestly before Goodell called his name, no one in 49er land had an inkling who this dude was, myself included. It's long shot, but it wouldn't surprise me for him to have a Denarius Moore type impact in his rookie season.

Reasons for:

1) Moss could flame out, Manningham could be another Brandon Jones (fragile), Ginn is ginn, Crabtree continues to disappoint.

2) Jenkins was very productive as the only real offensive threat on his team, often faced double teams, yet still caught 50% of passes thrown his way.

3) Smith could continue to progress given a full offseason in the new offense (doubtful, but hey who thought he'd beat Brees in a shootout?)

4) Very polished and smooth WR who ran a 4.3, makes things look "easy". Again referencing things said about Moore last season.

Reasons against:

1) Skinny build, not physically imposing like a "prototypical" #1 WR should be. (I will argue that plenty of WRs are his size and have been productive FF wrs -> Bruce, Holt, Wayne, Harrison, Smith, Maclin, etc...

3) Alex Smith

Of course these are just my observations from my research. Would love to hear more from anyone that knows more about the kid. The media has had little to say about him, I presume from a similar lack of information.
exactly what are u expecting in one of the most run heavy offenses and Alex Smith is your QB? He did quite well last year and future looks bright with distractions and hopefully injuries behind him.

Crabtree's YPR is 12.1, which ranks 78th amongst all receivers (counting TEs) last year. For comparison's sake, Heath Miller posted higher yards per reception numbers. Considering that he was a top 10 pick, that is disappointing.

Reasons for:

Reasons against:

3) Alex Smith

exactly what are u expecting in one of the most run heavy offenses and Alex Smith is your QB? He did quite well last year and future looks bright with distractions and hopefully injuries behind him.

Would he best best if used out of the slot?
He'd be best outside with Crabtree sliding into the slot in 3 WR sets, Manningham is the other. I'm thinking if Moss is the old Moss then Jenkins will take longer to see the field but if Moss is done Jenkins will get a shot at starter snaps.Basically, this is an easy situation to figure out in the interim if Moss plays. Moss and Manningham are starters, Crabtree takes the slot in 3 WR sets, and sometimes in 2 WR sets to give Manningham or Moss a blow - Jenkins rides pine. Where it gets messy is if Moss doesn't cut it, I'm bullish on Jenkins in that case.Any way you slice, really like him in dynasty as a 2nd round value. LaMichael too.

I don't know if Jenkins will pan out or not, but I think if an owner can be patient with him, he will get a great shot for SF. There are a lot of mouths to feed in that O right now, but Jenkins could very well emerge as their top receiving threat in a year or two. Moss isn't a long-term concern and I don't think Manningham is all that special. While I was definitely a Crabtree believer, it hasn't worked out for him for various reasons. Jenkins is SF's attempt at addressing WR long-term. Great late 2nd rd or early 3rd rd dynasty value, imo, particularly if you don't need him to produce immediately.

Basically, this is an easy situation to figure out in the interim if Moss plays. Moss and Manningham are starters, Crabtree takes the slot in 3 WR sets, and sometimes in 2 WR sets to give Manningham or Moss a blow - Jenkins rides pine.
Really?! You don't see Crabtree as a starter any longer? They bring in Moss off the street and Crabtree immediately goes to the bench? That's a bit much if you ask me.

I wanted to entertain this comparison with Jennings a bit so I went and dug up some original scouting reports of Jennings from 2006. Eerily similar to Jenkins in size and skill set (route running, quick, separates, average size, etc)... as cstu astutely noted originally.

Greg Jennings, Western Michigan (5-11, 197lbs, 4.45): Average size, but he is a good athlete who can make big plays. Quick. Lacks classic deep speed and not sent deep much in college. Runs good routes. Gets separation from defensive backs. Adjusts well for the football and has very soft hands. Tough receiver who will go over the middle. Runs well after the catch. Needs to become a better blocker. Smart and hardworking. Can return punts. (source)

STRENGTHS

Competitiveness

Quickness off Line

Route-Running Skills

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT

Blocking Ability

Downfield Threat

Durability

Dominant receiver at Western Michigan who will need to continue to improve to get receiving opportunities in the NFL. Great work ethic and sharp route runner who moves well with the ball. Slender frame may cause concern about long-term durability. Not a consistent deep threat. (source)

The last time I got this EEEEEEEEEE feeling about a player it was Greg Jennings. They are very size in terms of size, speed, hands, route running and both came from small/bad schools.

They bring in Moss off the street and Crabtree immediately goes to the bench? That's a bit much if you ask me.
Based off the above I'm going to guess you took my post out of context. If Randy becomes Old Randy, yes, Crabtree's snap count takes a hit. How much? Don't know, depends how many offensive snaps Harbaugh wants Moss and Manningham out there and if they'll run more 3 WR sets.Pretty big if though, definitely something you have to consider though.The good news is with all of these questions it is making LMJ and Jenkins cheaper in early rookie drafts.

That scouting report could be used for dozens of NFL WRs. This is fantasy football. You guys can do what you want obviously, but I'm not targeting AJ in my dynasty draft, and I have about every other Illini in the league, (rashard, leshoure, Pierre Thomas, ans Llloyd). I will also probably try to get the texans or chargers defense to have one of Luiget or Mercilus.

Even if AJ does turn out to be worthy of a top draft pick, do you think any 49er WR is going to put up numbers like Greg Jennings?

I wanted to entertain this comparison with Jennings a bit so I went and dug up some original scouting reports of Jennings from 2006. Eerily similar to Jenkins in size and skill set (route running, quick, separates, average size, etc)... as cstu astutely noted originally.

Greg Jennings, Western Michigan (5-11, 197lbs, 4.45): Average size, but he is a good athlete who can make big plays. Quick. Lacks classic deep speed and not sent deep much in college. Runs good routes. Gets separation from defensive backs. Adjusts well for the football and has very soft hands. Tough receiver who will go over the middle. Runs well after the catch. Needs to become a better blocker. Smart and hardworking. Can return punts. (source)

STRENGTHS

Competitiveness

Quickness off Line

Route-Running Skills

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT

Blocking Ability

Downfield Threat

Durability

Dominant receiver at Western Michigan who will need to continue to improve to get receiving opportunities in the NFL. Great work ethic and sharp route runner who moves well with the ball. Slender frame may cause concern about long-term durability. Not a consistent deep threat. (source)

That scouting report could be used for dozens of NFL WRs.
I think you're over-estimating the number of guys who are 6-0, 190, with good hands/route running and sub-4.4 speed. Another guy he compares to is Mike Wallace:Height/Weight - Wallace 6-0,199, Jenkins 6-0/20040 time - Wallace 4.33, Jenkins 4.39Vertical - Wallace 40", Jenkins 38.5"Broad Jump - Wallace 10-09", Jenkins 10-04"20 SS - Wallace 4.27, Jenkins 4.123 Cone - Wallace 6.90, Jenkins 6.73Bench - Wallace 14, Jenkins 12Hand Size - Wallace 9.0", Jenkins 9.5"

Jennings isn't a good comp. Jenkins is lankier/thinner. Jennings has a much more solid build.

Jenkins is built more like Nate Burleson and Steve Breaston.

Even if AJ does turn out to be worthy of a top draft pick, do you think any 49er WR is going to put up numbers like Greg Jennings?
Things can change quickly in the NFL and I don't expect Alex Smith to be there long if he doesn't make big strides passing the ball.

Names please, because I can't seem to think of that many off the top of my head. I can't recall many WRs that came into the league already good route runners with 4.3 speed. Denarius Moore is one of them, hence my original mention. Jennings as I recall drew drave reviews in camp for his precision routes, similar to the camp hype Moore received. Any others?

That scouting report could be used for dozens of NFL WRs. This is fantasy football. You guys can do what you want obviously, but I'm not targeting AJ in my dynasty draft, and I have about every other Illini in the league, (rashard, leshoure, Pierre Thomas, ans Llloyd). I will also probably try to get the texans or chargers defense to have one of Luiget or Mercilus.

"In high school, his friends called him E.T. because of his large hands and long fingers!"I've read this about 7 million times. Y'all know what they say about large hands....
The last receiver I remember them remarking about gigantic hands was Hakeem Nicks.

Things can change quickly in the NFL and I don't expect Alex Smith to be there long if he doesn't make big strides passing the ball.
The next QB might already be on the roster in Josh Johnson. He will give Smith a run for his money.

Many Illini fans think Paul petrino was good at running up the score and inflating offensive stats against inferior competion. Jenkins tore it up to start the year, then the offense died when he was shut down. We were going into the second half of games without getting on the opponents side of the field.

Maybe it was a bitof a hyperbolic statement to say that report would describe dozens or we, but the point stands that there have been numerous WR in the first round. AJ is more likely to be Reidel Anthony than Greg Jennings.

Crabtree's YPR is 12.1, which ranks 78th amongst all receivers (counting TEs) last year. For comparison's sake, Heath Miller posted higher yards per reception numbers. Considering that he was a top 10 pick, that is disappointing.

Reasons for:

Reasons against:

3) Alex Smith

Yards per reception doesn't mean much. I like looking at yards per pass route run (pro football focus). Crabtree is at 2.07 ypprr, which puts him in the top third. Receivers around him are Julio (2.10), Nicks (2.08), Jennings (2.07), Lloyd (1.92), VJ (1.92), and Maclin (1.86). It's also the best on his team, with Davis coming in at 1.76. Crabtree is just limited by the offense.

I answered a question about the comparisons to Mike Wallace last night on The Audible...figured I would post here as well.

I remember Wallace at the Senior Bowl telling me he was just learning how to run routes...see video interview here:

Wallace is CRAZY fast, much faster than Jenkins. Pad speed is what I'm talking about. Seeing both of these players at field level it's no contest. It was like the difference I saw between Jarius Wright and Joe Adams at field level.

However, Jenkins is a VERY crafty route runner right now. It's rare to see as a rookie, very savvy, counts steps, does little things like shoulder fakes, head shakes, to gain separation.

that's a HUGE difference. Wallace is still learning to run routes, and has improved since I saw him at the Senior Bowl. Jenkins I saw at both the Shrine and Senior this year and his routes were very smooth. However, Jenkins isn't CRAZY fast like Wallace.

:2cents:

I answered a question about the comparisons to Mike Wallace last night on The Audible...figured I would post here as well.

I remember Wallace at the Senior Bowl telling me he was just learning how to run routes...see video interview here:

Not to derail too much, but what was the difference you saw between J. Wright and Adams?

on film I swore Wright was faster, saw him at the Shrine and he was very fast......then I saw Adams the next week at the Senior Bowl -- he was INSANELY fast, played faster, cut faster, turned upfield faster...clear difference.

All that tells me is that crabtree was the best option of a sorry receiving corp, which I already knew. Crabtree had 72 recs, the next closest guy not named Vernon Davis was Kyle Williams with 20 catches. That means everytime a pass play was called, Crabtree was the most likely recipient of the pass. To achieve a high ypprr, all he had to do was catch a bunch of short passes. (which he did) How does that show effectiveness or any promise?

To me the most condemning stat is crabtree's virtual disappearance act during the playoffs. Sure you can pin alot of it on Smith, but Crabtree had his chances and didn't make the play. I still think he has a chance to be a playmaker, but he needs to up his conditioning, alot of times he looks like he's trying to make moves that his body won't allow.

Yards per reception doesn't mean much. I like looking at yards per pass route run (pro football focus). Crabtree is at 2.07 ypprr, which puts him in the top third. Receivers around him are Julio (2.10), Nicks (2.08), Jennings (2.07), Lloyd (1.92), VJ (1.92), and Maclin (1.86). It's also the best on his team, with Davis coming in at 1.76. Crabtree is just limited by the offense.

All that tells me is that crabtree was the best option of a sorry receiving corp, which I already knew. Crabtree had 72 recs, the next closest guy not named Vernon Davis was Kyle Williams with 20 catches. That means everytime a pass play was called, Crabtree was the most likely recipient of the pass. To achieve a high ypprr, all he had to do was catch a bunch of short passes. (which he did) How does that show effectiveness or any promise?

To me the most condemning stat is crabtree's virtual disappearance act during the playoffs. Sure you can pin alot of it on Smith, but Crabtree had his chances and didn't make the play. I still think he has a chance to be a playmaker, but he needs to up his conditioning, alot of times he looks like he's trying to make moves that his body won't allow.

I also think there's a good chance the 49ers cut him next year and save $4.6M off the cap if he doesn't improve from last year.

I also think there's a good chance the 49ers cut him next year and save $4.6M off the cap if he doesn't improve from last year.
It's possible. he knows he needs to get quicker and overall in better shape in the offseason, no excuses for not doing so this summer. If he shows up to camp in the same condition this year it will be a good indication of where his priorities are (or, more accurately, aren't). SF has a lot of bodies at the position right now but there are no major obstacles to Jenkins emerging if he is as talented as the niners think he is.

As a Midwest guy, I watch a lot of B10. Jenkins never stood out. I never noticed him and thought, this is a NFL talent.

I am a UT alum and likewise have watched alot of Big 12. The guys that stood out to me as "NFL guys" are usually because of their size/speed combos (i.e. Ricky Williams, Roy Williams, Vince Young, Adrian Peterson, Michael Crabtree, etc) I never considered Priest Holmes, Jamaal Charles, Wes Welker, Darren Sproles as "NFL guys", and their draft positions reflected as much. I'm no scout, just a casual fan. Rarely do I watch college football and say "Wow, what an awesome route, this kid's got a bright future in the pros!"

As a Midwest guy, I watch a lot of B10. Jenkins never stood out. I never noticed him and thought, this is a NFL talent.

Rice taking 49ers Jenkins to "The Hill" -- Wed May 9 9:40 pm --Retired star to put rookie WR through legendary training regimenSan Francisco 49ers legend Jerry Rice isn't wasting any time putting first-round draft pick A.J. Jenkins through the gauntlet of his NFL training regimen. Rice is preparing to take Jenkins on "The Hill," a 2.5-mile uphill climb in San Carlos, Calif., that was a staple of the Pro Football Hall of Famer's offseason workout. After learning how to run the grueling route from the likes of Roger Craig and Ronnie Lott, Rice now is prepared to teach Jenkins, whom the 49ers selected with the 30th overall pick in April's NFL draft. (NFL.com)

Rice taking 49ers Jenkins to "The Hill" -- Wed May 9 9:40 pm --Retired star to put rookie WR through legendary training regimenSan Francisco 49ers legend Jerry Rice isn't wasting any time putting first-round draft pick A.J. Jenkins through the gauntlet of his NFL training regimen. Rice is preparing to take Jenkins on "The Hill," a 2.5-mile uphill climb in San Carlos, Calif., that was a staple of the Pro Football Hall of Famer's offseason workout. After learning how to run the grueling route from the likes of Roger Craig and Ronnie Lott, Rice now is prepared to teach Jenkins, whom the 49ers selected with the 30th overall pick in April's NFL draft. (NFL.com)
Ummmm...maybe this is why:Per Rotoworld:
49ers first-round pick A.J. Jenkins reported to rookie minicamp out of shape.Beat writers Matt Barrows and Matt Maiocco both noticed it on the field, and coach Jim Harbaugh confirmed he was unimpressed with Jenkins' conditioning midway through practice. This won't be a concern as long as Jenkins shows up to OTAs in better shape, but he certainly could've made a better first impression. He's competing with Mario Manningham and Randy Moss for a starting job
That swishing sound you just heard was Jenkins' rookie draft ADP slipping deep into the 2nd/early 3rd round...

Harbaugh wasn't too surprised some rookies reported out of shape."I knew that these guys weren't working out as hard as our guys had been working out," Harbaugh said, "because our guys are just fanatical with the way they work out and the way they approach their cardio."

Harbaugh wasn't too surprised some rookies reported out of shape."I knew that these guys weren't working out as hard as our guys had been working out," Harbaugh said, "because our guys are just fanatical with the way they work out and the way they approach their cardio."
:shrug:When you're the first round pick, you want to make a good first impression - he didn't. Harbaugh specifically said he was "unimpressed with Jenkins' conditioning". That's all I'm sayin'. I'm not saying he's gonna be a bust - just that it's not a good first step.

While it's underwhelming that he's out of shape, I suppose that's better than getting injured or just looking like he's not the player they thought they were getting. From everything I've read he looked the part before getting winded. I wonder how much of this is media hyperbole though, because they've been all over Moss's jock. I guess the beat writers haven't seen a real receiver come across these parts in quite some time.

Users who are viewing this thread