What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A little dynasty TE discussion... (1 Viewer)

Ballstein said:
Reed and J. Thomas will be monsterous next year
Assuming Reed can get past his concussion issues. They've officially progressed into full-on "red alert" level for me. There's a not-insignificant chance that they prove career-ending, like they were for Austin Collie or Jahvid Best.

If he's healthy, he's in my top 5.

I hate this carousel. Last year I had Gresham, Hernandez, Finley. Man I thought I was stacked.

After I dropped Hernandez and Gresham, I drafted Cameron in Rd 3 of a rookie draft (FA/rookie) and picked Reed up off the WW. So I had Finley, Cameron, Reed. Then Finley IR, Reed IR, Cameron out.

So now (I know no one cares) I have Finley, Reed on IR, Ausberry on IR, Griffin and Cameron.

Now might actually be a good time to float a buy-low offer at the Reed owner, for those who don't mind high-risk investments for potentially high rewards.

Now might actually be a good time to float a buy-low offer at the Reed owner, for those who don't mind high-risk investments for potentially high rewards.
would you rather have him or Finley? Seems like the price might be the same. I couldn't get a 2 for Finley.

Reed's brain seems like it's in a similar condition to Austin Collie

Don't like Fleener. Had to make an emergency trade last offseason after the Aaron Hernandez fiasco and he just didn't pan out like I had hoped. Far too inconsistent and when watching Colts games, he just doesn't have the aura of being "the man" in that offense.

I also have Escobar stashed in my dynasty. This is what I'm paying attention to the most. I drafted him for 3 or 4 seasons down the line after Witten starts to fade. I think the guy has all the receiving tools to be a competent top 12 TE...but good god dude's gotta learn to block. He got Romo smashed a few times the 1st 2 or 3 games of the season and he quickly had playing time greatly reduced.

Finally I am stashing Zach Sudfeld still. The measurables are too impressive to ignore. I know Cumberland looks good and don't think he's going anywhere, but hoping maybe Jets will see the light that their old foes in New England found in running some dual-TE sets down the line.

Last edited by a moderator:
would you rather have him or Finley? Seems like the price might be the same. I couldn't get a 2 for Finley.

Reed's brain seems like it's in a similar condition to Austin Collie
I would much rather have Reed. By a really substantial margin.

There's a chance Reed is going to be the next Collie. There's also a chance that he's just Cecil Shorts, who missed the end of 2012 with a concussion that wouldn't resolve, but played in 2013 without any further concussions. I think the prognosis is much grimmer for Finley, who is also older, potentially less talented, and probably searching for a new team in free agency.

I would be more concerned with recurring concussions than one bad one. I wouldn't have any concern buying Reed. Finley is a different matter. I think he resigns with GB for a 1yr deal if he's cleared to play again. He was a mediocre play before and I don't see him being any more reliable. I hope he has a good comeback but I think he's droppable in a lot of formats.

I would be more concerned with recurring concussions than one bad one. I wouldn't have any concern buying Reed. Finley is a different matter. I think he resigns with GB for a 1yr deal if he's cleared to play again. He was a mediocre play before and I don't see him being any more reliable. I hope he has a good comeback but I think he's droppable in a lot of formats.
My understanding was that this is multiple concussions now for Reed. Is that not the case? I assumed they were talking about college or something. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

It may be just my opinion, but I see more and more owners stashing lots of TEs these days in dynasty/keeper leagues. It seems everyone feels they have "the next freak TE" just waiting to break out.

Maybe we're all just wrong?

It may be just my opinion, but I see more and more owners stashing lots of TEs these days in dynasty/keeper leagues. It seems everyone feels they have "the next freak TE" just waiting to break out.

This is good posting... I agree that more people are stashing the potential freaks... 2 reasons I feel this is happening is because the gap between the top 3 or 4 to the 5-14 or 15th best is substantial... Also freaks like Gronk and Julius Thomas and Graham and Cameron were all not that productive yr 1 (gronk had TDs but wasn't Gronk just yet)... These guys prolly could have been picked from the wire at some point in yr 1 and even yr 2 or 3 in Julius Thomas case and Cameron... The profile is set... Athletic big guys with either Bball background and/or great speed for the position. Being able to block even at a mediocre level seems to be what gives some if these guys opportunity vs just an athletic big WR type... Similar to a rookie RB being able to pass protectMy guys for next yr are joe Fauria and Bostick... Fauria reminds me of Gronk with Redzone prowess and athleticism... Pettigrew is prolly gone in 2014 and Fauria with a new coaching staff is poised to be the guy... No reason he can't be next yrs Julius Thomas

This, IMO, is more a symptom of not having a clear cut 1-5 coming into this season, w/the Pats brothers going thru there various trials (haha) and tribulations. Witten getting older, TG about to retire, Jermichael being Jermichael...etc. Two top 3 guys out of the top 3, replaced by more or less "unknowns" will make people stash-conscience. I have one league where I stashed 7, for defensive purposes alone.

My understanding was that this is multiple concussions now for Reed. Is that not the case? I assumed they were talking about college or something. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.
I'm a UF fan and don't recall any concussion issues. I'm buying if there is any discount. Many worried about Shady, after he missed a few weeks with on last year.

I stand corrected. Roto says he had two in college. Some fan I am.

cant win the lotto if you don't have a ticket

I think in a lot of dynasty leagues, this is the only thing on waivers. NFL-rostered RBs are already rostered for the most part. So you're deciding between a raw TE and a journeyman QB or emergency WR. In that choice, I think it's a no-brainer because the TE might be great and the WR definitely won't be

Supposedly the scuttlebutt around his injury was that GB wouldn't clear him to play. That the doctor GB uses and trusts for spinal injuries was one of the ones saying Finley was subject to substantial risk around his injury, and he wouldn't advise him to ever play again. Other doctors, of course, are saying that Finley can in fact play again, but the one GB uses disagrees. So… I'd be surprised if he ended up back in GB.

Supposedly the scuttlebutt around his injury was that GB wouldn't clear him to play. That the doctor GB uses and trusts for spinal injuries was one of the ones saying Finley was subject to substantial risk around his injury, and he wouldn't advise him to ever play again. Other doctors, of course, are saying that Finley can in fact play again, but the one GB uses disagrees. So… I'd be surprised if he ended up back in GB.
Reed had two concussions in college so it is both recurring and bad. I'd be concerned, heavily so.

On Finley you have any kind of link that states this was the assertion by the GB doctor? Not trying to ask that to be arguementive, I've just done a little research into his status and would like to know if I'm missing key info.

From what I read Finley without the surgery would have been cleared by no one, ever. Finley with a successful surgery on the other hand should be able to resume his career provided no complications come up, this is something I've ready by independent but respected physicians. In other words when his agent put out the statement that he was having surgery to continue his career I don't think it was just agent talk. I think that was exactly the goal of the surgery.

Reed had two concussions in college so it is both recurring and bad. I'd be concerned, heavily so.

On Finley you have any kind of link that states this was the assertion by the GB doctor? Not trying to ask that to be arguementive, I've just done a little research into his status and would like to know if I'm missing key info.

From what I read Finley without the surgery would have been cleared by no one, ever. Finley with a successful surgery on the other hand should be able to resume his career provided no complications come up, this is something I've ready by independent but respected physicians. In other words when his agent put out the statement that he was having surgery to continue his career I don't think it was just agent talk. I think that was exactly the goal of the surgery.
I think it was too. Or.... it could be what they have to do (try to resume playing again) in order to cash in on that insurance policy. Who knows?

To rephrase my question from the first page, in a PPR must start 2 TE auction keeper league, would you burn 33% of your budget to keep Graham and Julius Thomas?

Finding it hard to valuate Graham now that Gronk has reinjured, all but guaranteeing that I will be the only person keeping a TE (let alone two.)

I would. You just have to have some buy low(er) guys in mind, but that's crazy depth at the position where I feel at least some savvy owners will look to make a deal with you.

menobrown said:

Here's the article from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel -- Green Bay Packers: Brandon Bostick has raw skills to play TE

And here's the comment I was referencing:

The spinal surgeon the Packers trust the most, Los Angeles-based Robert Watkins, has told other surgeons he won't clear players to return to the field when one of the fused discs is C-3 or higher.

It doesn't mean Finley, a free agent after this season, can't resume his career. There are doctors -- including Joseph Maroon, who performed the surgery on Finley -- who believe it's perfectly safe to return from single-level fusion surgery at C-3, C-4 if a number of criteria are met.

But the chances of the Packers clearing Finley seem very low.

I may cut bait on Vance McDonald. Is there room in SF with Vernon? Seems like there is similar talent without the obstacles.

I think in a lot of dynasty leagues, this is the only thing on waivers. NFL-rostered RBs are already rostered for the most part. So you're deciding between a raw TE and a journeyman QB or emergency WR. In that choice, I think it's a no-brainer because the TE might be great and the WR definitely won't be
This. TE40 > WR110 / RB95. They're all longshots once you get down to 275+ overall offensive players, but with the TEs you can at least still find young guys drafted in the middle rounds who haven't had a chance yet. Not so much at RB or WR...

For my dynasty league, our flex is a WR4 or TE2. So a lottery ticket that pays off could be started at flex. My league seems not to focus on TE as much. And if you have 2-3 start able TEs that you grabbed off the WW, trade bait.

Guys like Bryce Brown, Stills, Greg Little, Kirhy are all owned, but Reed, Cameron, Martellus Bennett, Finley a few years ago, were all WW pickups.

menobrown said:

Here's the article from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel -- Green Bay Packers: Brandon Bostick has raw skills to play TE

The spinal surgeon the Packers trust the most, Los Angeles-based Robert Watkins, has told other surgeons he won't clear players to return to the field when one of the fused discs is C-3 or higher.

It doesn't mean Finley, a free agent after this season, can't resume his career. There are doctors -- including Joseph Maroon, who performed the surgery on Finley -- who believe it's perfectly safe to return from single-level fusion surgery at C-3, C-4 if a number of criteria are met.

Thanks for the link, that's good info I did not know about and certainly makes me less optimistic he'll return but it's not dire either as I never expected he'd return to the Packers. He's someone I'd still hold onto until more definitive news arrives.

No one is talking about this but are we 100% sure he'd get $10 million on his insurance policy if he does not play again? I mean as far as I know the only one who is stating that is him and maybe his agent. Maybe he does or maybe it gets paid out as an annuity and not upfront and that could be an issue. Seems odd to me if he was getting that money he'd take the slightest risk especially since he's not going to make nearly that much money next year and it would likely take him at least two seasons of pay to approach that $10 million mark. Just makes me think their is a devil in the detail of that insurance policy that is leading to Finley trying to do everything he can to play again instead of just taking the money.

Great post. In my dynasty leagues, I typically have a ton of good TEs and QBs, because the quality and talent level of players on the wire at the "non-premium positions" is so much higher than the "premium positions". If it's a choice between a tight end with pedigree, talent, and promise, or a wide receiver or RB who is a total desperation flier, I'm taking the talented TE.

Great post. In my dynasty leagues, I typically have a ton of good TEs and QBs, because the quality and talent level of players on the wire at the "non-premium positions" is so much higher than the "premium positions". If it's a choice between a tight end with pedigree, talent, and promise, or a wide receiver or RB who is a total desperation flier, I'm taking the talented TE.
Me too. I have many leagues where I have a ton of QB's and TE's. Just too much value. I just can't bring myself to take a 3rd string developmental RB when a guy like Luke Wilson or Ryan Griffin are available.

Anyone seen Bostick, Rivera, or Housler moved lately? Trying to gauge there value. Rivera looked good to me with scrappy Qb play. I think he'll holdnoff Ausberry

Ryan Griffin has put up back-to-back decent games in Graham's absence, and I think both Graham and Owen Daniels are impending free agents. Might be some appeal here.
Was waiting to see his name. Kid moves well, has a big frame, and the Texans are high on him. With a new coaching staff, the offense could very well shift. But, they're also likely to be breaking in a new QB, and Griffin's going to have room to operate underneath as long as Andre and Hopkins are stretching the D on the outside.

Posted a 5-66 line yesterday after posting 6-62 the week before in his first career start. He's 6'6" 254 with a frame to add another 10, which would improve him as a blocker and make him a bigger mismatch. He's also got very soft hands, and seems to understand the nuances of the position from a receiving perspective.

Here's what Waldman had to say pre-draft: No Huddle Series - UCONN TE Ryan Griffin

Past Griffin, I'm high on Bostick as a swing-for-the-fences type, as well as Ausberry for reasons mentioned by EBF above. The concern for Ausberry, similar to Griffin, is that a new coaching staff and philosophy will be in place next year. That's not a concern for Bostick, and the coaches have been raving about his receiving ability for a while. He's my pick for the "Julius Thomas of 2014."
I'm concerned that GB picks one of the top 3 TEs in the upcoming draft.
I wouldn't be concerned. Green Bay finished the season with the no.3 ranked offense despite 12 missing 9 games. I imagine all three TEs are gone in the 2nd... I'd bet the house Ted Thompson goes defense in the first two rounds, and wouldn't be shocked if the first three picks are all on the defensive side. TT isn't going to be able to pass up safety, DL, or LB help.

As far as Brandon Bostick goes, I don't see him being a breakout, startable TE in fantasy circles. McCarthy is going to go for a tight end who's a balanced type. Bostick is ultra athletic, but does not block.

Thanks for the link, that's good info I did not know about and certainly makes me less optimistic he'll return but it's not dire either as I never expected he'd return to the Packers. He's someone I'd still hold onto until more definitive news arrives.

No one is talking about this but are we 100% sure he'd get $10 million on his insurance policy if he does not play again? I mean as far as I know the only one who is stating that is him and maybe his agent. Maybe he does or maybe it gets paid out as an annuity and not upfront and that could be an issue. Seems odd to me if he was getting that money he'd take the slightest risk especially since he's not going to make nearly that much money next year and it would likely take him at least two seasons of pay to approach that $10 million mark. Just makes me think their is a devil in the detail of that insurance policy that is leading to Finley trying to do everything he can to play again instead of just taking the money.
in order to collect that 10 mil I'm sure it has to be beyond reason that he can't play football and he has to show that he has tired. I bet he just can't sit at home and retire and collect, even after a monsterous hit like that, as long as 1 doctor says your good to go the insurance is going to balk.

Ryan Griffin has put up back-to-back decent games in Graham's absence, and I think both Graham and Owen Daniels are impending free agents. Might be some appeal here.
Was waiting to see his name. Kid moves well, has a big frame, and the Texans are high on him. With a new coaching staff, the offense could very well shift. But, they're also likely to be breaking in a new QB, and Griffin's going to have room to operate underneath as long as Andre and Hopkins are stretching the D on the outside.

Posted a 5-66 line yesterday after posting 6-62 the week before in his first career start. He's 6'6" 254 with a frame to add another 10, which would improve him as a blocker and make him a bigger mismatch. He's also got very soft hands, and seems to understand the nuances of the position from a receiving perspective.

Here's what Waldman had to say pre-draft: No Huddle Series - UCONN TE Ryan Griffin

Past Griffin, I'm high on Bostick as a swing-for-the-fences type, as well as Ausberry for reasons mentioned by EBF above. The concern for Ausberry, similar to Griffin, is that a new coaching staff and philosophy will be in place next year. That's not a concern for Bostick, and the coaches have been raving about his receiving ability for a while. He's my pick for the "Julius Thomas of 2014."
I'm concerned that GB picks one of the top 3 TEs in the upcoming draft.
I wouldn't be concerned. Green Bay finished the season with the no.3 ranked offense despite 12 missing 9 games. I imagine all three TEs are gone in the 2nd... I'd bet the house Ted Thompson goes defense in the first two rounds, and wouldn't be shocked if the first three picks are all on the defensive side. TT isn't going to be able to pass up safety, DL, or LB help. As far as Brandon Bostick goes, I don't see him being a breakout, startable TE in fantasy circles. McCarthy is going to go for a tight end who's a balanced type. Bostick is ultra athletic, but does not block.
sounds like Julius prior to this year

Who do y'all see emerging next year?

I was thinking Rudolph.

Reed seems to still be a low cost, high value option due to his injury, but will Gruden use him?

And the Griffin and Bostick discussions are intriguing.

Is there any knowledge on O'Brien's proclivities on offense? He's going to be calling plays, right? Is it too tenuous to say he was with the Pats therefore he'll bring the reliance on the hybrid tight ends?

Adrien Robinson is a guy I am keeping my eye on. Brandon Myers' contract was just voided. :scared:

FWIW... Chris Cooley (who's a great addition to local radio this past year) breaks down Redskins' games during the season and did some of the playoff games after the Skins were out -- including the Super Bowl.

I'm paraphrasing what he said he saw on the Super Bowl tape, but this is the gist of it:

Julius Thomas is a horrible blocker even against linebackers, and appears to have zero feel for the game -- for example not recognizing whether the coverage is man or zone and not being able to find where the holes are in a zone.

Take it for FWIW.

I was thinking Rudolph.

Reed seems to still be a low cost, high value option due to his injury, but will Gruden use him?

Is there any knowledge on O'Brien's proclivities on offense? He's going to be calling plays, right? Is it too tenuous to say he was with the Pats therefore he'll bring the reliance on the hybrid tight ends?
My primary targets have been:

Rudolph, Eifert, Ladarius Green, Ertz, Dwayne Allen. Rudolph is probably the safest bet for consistent production along with Allen, whereas I view the potential of Eifert, Green and Ertz as more exciting.

Where available off waivers or in free agency I'm picking up these guys:

Fauria, Griffin, Bostick, McDonald, Luke Willson. I think Griffin has the biggest chance of 2014 production among these, depending on which moves they make in the offseason, but generally I don't expect production out of these guys for 2014.

I'd rather invest a few roster spots on these younger TEs with higher ceilings and in case neither of them work out I can always go after one of the 29 year plus high TE2s as a throw in in a trade.

I was thinking Rudolph.

I read somewhere that Gruden was really impressed with Reed.

Does anyone think the big 3 rookie TEs - Ebron, Amaro and ASG - have enough polish to have an impact and production year one?

Colts hired Chudzinski. Could be a bump for Allen (maybe even Fleener, though I don't care for him much).
I think it's huge news for both of them but I thought bigger news for Fleener.

My main reason is if I could pick two TE's in the league I find most similar to Fleener it would be Olsen followed by Cameron and Chud just had good success with both of those guys. Fleener and Olsen are extremely similar in terms of size/build and Cameron is close. My major knock I had on both Olsen earlier in this career and on Cameron prior to this season is that both of them seemed to get lack the physicality or strength to get open consistently or compete for the ball in tight space. This is what I still believe is Fleener greatest weakness as well so I can't help but think Chud could be a major asset to helping create situations that Fleener can be successful

I drafted Fleener a good amount when he entered the league and I don't think he will ever be as good as I hoped. If I was chasing the next Jimmy Graham, and I was, I failed. But I still think people are way to down on him and wrong to assume Allen's return is a death knell to his value. I've seen enough out of him that I believe he can be at least in the same tier as guy like Olsen, so a back end TE1.

Colts hired Chudzinski. Could be a bump for Allen (maybe even Fleener, though I don't care for him much).

My main reason is if I could pick two TE's in the league I find most similar to Fleener it would be Olsen followed by Cameron and Chud just had good success with both of those guys. Fleener and Olsen are extremely similar in terms of size/build and Cameron is close. My major knock I had on both Olsen earlier in this career and on Cameron prior to this season is that both of them seemed to get lack the physicality or strength to get open consistently or compete for the ball in tight space. This is what I still believe is Fleener greatest weakness as well so I can't help but think Chud could be a major asset to helping create situations that Fleener can be successful

I drafted Fleener a good amount when he entered the league and I don't think he will ever be as good as I hoped. If I was chasing the next Jimmy Graham, and I was, I failed. But I still think people are way to down on him and wrong to assume Allen's return is a death knell to his value. I've seen enough out of him that I believe he can be at least in the same tier as guy like Olsen, so a back end TE1.
The thing about Allen vs Fleener that gives Allen the advantage, is that he's the more complete TE. He not only catches the ball well, he is a great blocker. Fleener couldn't block me and I've had a hip replacement. I can definitely see Fleener's value dropping next year and beyond. I can also see Fleener hurting Allen's fantasy value as well. As a Colts homer I love having them on the team I root for, but I'm not that excited about having either on my fantasy team.

Does anyone think the big 3 rookie TEs - Ebron, Amaro and ASG - have enough polish to have an impact and production year one?
I think all 3 could put up nice numbers in the right situation. I think ASJ and Amaro are more likely than Ebron to copy Reed's success.

That said, I wouldn't draft one over another based on 2014 production, personally. None of them are likely to matter next.

I wouldn't invest too heavily in Reed. Not only is the injury issue real, there is also a real question about usage. Fred Davis was awesome in the right scheme too. Now where is he? We know Reed was really useful when healthy and playing for the Shanahans in their scheme. We don't know much else except he's not overly healthy and he's no longer playing for the Shanahans.

I'm not saying he can't continue to be really good, he certainly could in the right scenario. But I'd need a heavy discount to account for both risk factors.

I wouldn't invest too heavily in Reed. Not only is the injury issue real, there is also a real question about usage. Fred Davis was awesome in the right scheme too. Now where is he? We know Reed was really useful when healthy and playing for the Shanahans in their scheme. We don't know much else except he's not overly healthy and he's no longer playing for the Shanahans.
What scheme? Reed beat the players lined up across from him, consistently. I just don't see a scheme that can't take advantage of that. And it's not like the Shannys did anything special with him; that I noticed at least.

He's got questions, especially when it comes to injury concerns. But outside of Graham and a couple old guys (Witten, VD)--so does everyone else at TE.

The thing about Allen vs Fleener that gives Allen the advantage, is that he's the more complete TE. He not only catches the ball well, he is a great blocker. Fleener couldn't block me and I've had a hip replacement. I can definitely see Fleener's value dropping next year and beyond. I can also see Fleener hurting Allen's fantasy value as well. As a Colts homer I love having them on the team I root for, but I'm not that excited about having either on my fantasy team.
I got a different take on this completely.

Fleener is a terrible blocker but I don't think that's very relevant any longer. Julius Thomas is a terrible blocker but we are seeing an influx of fantasy relevant TE's who are not very good blockers.

Colt's drafted Fleener knowing what he was as a blocker. Their plans for him was not as an every snap in-line TE . They were forced to use him in that role last year and that was negative for both team and player. But I don't think Allen returning impacts that negatively but positively for Fleener as they'll be able to move him around more. Fleener was not heavily targeted last year and while some of that might have had to do with not being able to get open a lot of it had to do with increased blocking responsibility's.

The popular opinion seems to be that Allen will negatively impact Fleeners value and I don't see it that way but believe it's going to be a positive that will allow them to be more versatile with the way they use him. I think the Colts want to run a primarily two TE based offense. Allen has the potential to hurt Fleeners value but in a more indirect fashion. I don't think it's a battle between the two of them as much as it's battle for Fleener to display enough to the Colts that the versatility he provides the offense is enough that the two TE base is the primary offense. Which I think is a big reason the addition of Chud is huge because I think he can get enough out of Fleener to make this happen.

What scheme? Reed beat the players lined up across from him, consistently. I just don't see a scheme that can't take advantage of that. And it's not like the Shannys did anything special with him; that I noticed at least.

He's got questions, especially when it comes to injury concerns. But outside of Graham and a couple old guys (Witten, VD)--so does everyone else at TE.
He played in the slot, some at flanker, etc. Not every coach is going to do that. They might, and you can make a case that they should, but it's not a given. I'd venture to say that there are a fair amount of small, agile TEs out there who could do some damage as mis-matches in the right scheme, but not all of them are heavily used. If you get a decent WR on a linebacker your odds are good for nice things to happen. TEs these days can be mis-matches in general in the same way. Reed is kind of in that category for me

I agree that there are very few sure-things at the position right now though, so he'll be in the mix. But I don't know that I put him several tiers up on a lot of the others like some folks might with his issues. That's why I said I wouldn't invest heavily. I'll play in the market, but I want a discount if I'm buying. So you start with, "Hey this guys does amazing things, I'll pay a premium", then move down a bit on realizing he just lost two coaches who have been historically good for TE stats, and then throw in the injury issues, and I've now got him down near the rest.

I like D.Allen and Pitta at their prices.

L.Green would be hard to get as most are now thinking he will break out.

Bostick is intriguing.

I have been trying to get L.Wilson/R.Griffen in my leagues, not hoping for much for 2014 but just trying to stay ahead of the curve on their talent. I just paid a late 2nd round pick in 2015 for the L.Wilson/Griffen combo in a 1.5ppr league and couldn't be happier.

One guy i am keeping an eye on is Quarless. He is a FA and could get a shot somewhere. Heard that NYG could be interested. Outside this season, not a bad spot for TE's imo.(as long as Eli can keep the passes to his team)

I have Pitta as my #6 dynasty TE this year, although he's basically tied with Cameron and Olsen. The Ravens offense clearly suffered without a tight end and running back to compliment one another. Kubiak understands this and has had a lot of success passing to those two positions. Flacco and Pitta have a nice rapport, there's a glaring need for an intermediate guy like Pitta, and the offensive coordinator is specifically talking about Pitta even though he's in a walk year.

When we're projecting Pitta's targets, we can look at his breakout season in 2012 - 94 targets, 61 receptions, 669 yards and 7 TDs. We can look at Kubiak's numbers - Owen Daniels had 41 targets last year in five games (128 target pace) last year in Kubiak's offense, and 104 the year before in 15 games (111 target pace). Garrett Graham had 69 targets in 8 games as a starter, which is pace for 138. And we can look at last year. Pitta got 33 targets in four games for a team that making a late run for a playoff spot. That's a pace for 132 targets on the season. Average all that out and you get about 110-125 targets, with room for a little upside.

That compares pretty well with Olsen (111), Cameron (118), Tony Gonzalez (121), Witten (111), Julius Thomas (90), and is near Jimmy Graham (142). The outlier who outpaces the league in targets per game is Gronk - he had 66 targets in 6 games, including his first game back and the Cleveland game where he was hurt midgame.

So the targets should be there. He caught 20 of 33, and 61 of 94, which is a 60-65% catch percentage - which should put him between 65 and 85 receptions. And with Kubiak calling the plays, he should end up closer to 11-12 yards per reception - Graham had 11 last year, Owen Daniels has consistently floated around 12 yards per catch, and Pitta was just under 11 in 2012 before dipping to 8.5 last year. With 65-85 catches, that means about 720-1020 yards. Now add in that he's probably the best red zone option on a team that has Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown and Jacoby Jones, and there's some significant TD upside from the 7 he scored in 2012.

I think it's realistic to project somewhere between 65/750/7 and 85/1050/11 for him. Average that out to 75/900/8 and you've got near-elite TE production at a surprisingly low cost. I love his value in redraft for 2014, but in dynasty, coming off an injury and approaching his 29th birthday, he could be an enormous bargain for several years of TE1 production. Strong buy.

Isn't he on Indy? Fleener could be the guy there, no? One guy that looks good is Pitta, who seems like Flaccos best friend....
Fleener has proven this year that he can't be "the guy". Allen has a much more well-rounded skill-set and will never leave the field once he's back, due to his blocking prowess and versatility.
I agree about Fleener, but what has Allen proven?
Fleener's game is pretty much one dimensional: find the seam. Allen is the better blocker, better route runner, better receiver, better player. Here is a blurb from Roto that sums it up quite nicely:

"On the surface, Fleener's 52/608/4 sophomore line appears to be a step in the right direction. Dig deeper, however, and you find a player who still does almost none of the little things right. A soft blocker, Fleener has been prone to drops. He has a remarkable knack for not knowing where the chains are. His numbers were greatly inflated by the absence of Dwayne Allen (hip). With Allen certain to return atop the depth chart next season, Fleener can't be considered more than a TE2."

With Pettigrew being a free agent I am hoping he moves on and Fauria becomes the man. 7tds on very limited targets last season. with Joe Lombardi ex saints QB coach being Detroits new OC I am holding out hope Fauria becomes the next Jimmy Graham.

With Pettigrew being a free agent I am hoping he moves on and Fauria becomes the man. 7tds on very limited targets last season. with Joe Lombardi ex saints QB coach being Detroits new OC I am holding out hope Fauria becomes the next Jimmy Graham.
Don't think Fauria is remotely even close to being the athlete that Jimmy Graham is...

If you're looking for a comparison, maybe Marcedes Lewis is a better measuring stick.

Users who are viewing this thread