What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aerial Assault's ***OFFICIAL Miscellaneous/Catch-All TV Thread***: Freshly Edited Since Like Two People Asked (1 Viewer)

What is the best new show of the last two (or so) TV seasons?

• The Man in the High Castle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Handmaid's Tale

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Feud: Bette and Joan

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • This Is Us

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Legion

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Preacher

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Blood Drive

• Riverdale

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Victoria

• Stranger Things

• Better Call Saul

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Other (Explain)

• Total voters
Anybody see the Alcatraz show about teh Anglin brothers on History last week?

Interesting stuff

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/alcatraz-picture-reveals-escapees-alive-article-1.2395061
Anybody see the Alcatraz show about teh Anglin brothers on History last week?

Interesting stuff

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/alcatraz-picture-reveals-escapees-alive-article-1.2395061
I didn't watch it but if that one pic is supposed to be the "proof" consider me unconvinced.

Gave up on the returned after about 4 episodes. Couldn't care less about any of the characters.

First season of American Horror Story was good. Since then it's been laughably bad.
Yeah, The Returned isn't something I'd recommend but I stuck with it thinking it was one season and done. I'll check out Season 2 though.

I like AHS even though each season seems to fall apart midway through. But it's different enough from other shows, so I like it.

I forgot to mention Wayward Pines. Not sure yet if it's back for Season 2.

Red Road looks good btw. Will look for it.
I thought Wayward Pines was one season and done from the outset.

Gave up on the returned after about 4 episodes. Couldn't care less about any of the characters.

First season of American Horror Story was good. Since then it's been laughably bad.
Yeah, The Returned isn't something I'd recommend but I stuck with it thinking it was one season and done. I'll check out Season 2 though.

I like AHS even though each season seems to fall apart midway through. But it's different enough from other shows, so I like it.

I forgot to mention Wayward Pines. Not sure yet if it's back for Season 2.

Red Road looks good btw. Will look for it.
I thought Wayward Pines was one season and done from the outset.
I thought so too, that's why I watched it. But there are still rumors of a second season being discussed. I'm fine with it if it ended but will watch if it comes back.

jamny, on Wayward Pines (which I'm glad someone enjoyed), Wiki sez:

In June 2015, it was announced that a second season was being considered based on the series' ratings, which included a record Live+3 DVR lift for a Fox network premiere. However, the tenth episode was billed as the series finale, rather than the season finale, effectively ending the series.

I think this is their source; not really that definitive.

jamny, on Wayward Pines (which I'm glad someone enjoyed), Wiki sez:

In June 2015, it was announced that a second season was being considered based on the series' ratings, which included a record Live+3 DVR lift for a Fox network premiere. However, the tenth episode was billed as the series finale, rather than the season finale, effectively ending the series.

I think this is their source; not really that definitive.
Yeah, at the time it was a series finale but it's still being discussed. It's been a few months since any news so maybe it is done. Either way is good for me.

The Returned- frenchy- was fantastic, IMO. looking forward to season two finally showing up.

Also watching:

TWD

The Americans

Mr Robot

Homeland (in spite of everything)

The Affair

Penny Dreadful (silly- but this last season had some amazing moments).

GOT

Orphan Black (still watching, even if it feels like it jumped the shark with the arrival of the male clones)

the 100 (I hope this comes back- just dreadful teen angsty drama slapped onto a fun post-apocolyptic sci-fi future world)

For got about Mr. Robot. I'm trying to get through the last 3 episodes but the show kinda lost me. Not sure if I'll stick around for another.

How could we all forget...Peaky Blinders!!!

I thought Mr. Robot was one of the best shows (summer show or not) in years - but I still have not watched the last half of the penultimate one and the finale, so I could stand corrected on that once I catch up.

Yay, another Returned fan.

I didn't manage Penny Dreadful very well. I was acutely aware that I should bingewatch it at some point even though horror/semi-horror isn't really my thing (although I do like Salem on WGN quite a bit), and, hey, Eva Green. So I randomly flip channels one night, which I virtually never do, and here's Penny Dreadful just starting. I watch and it turns out it's the season finale (of I guess S2, whatever the most recent season was). So now I feel like I don't need to go back and watch anything that came before. I've done the same thing with the last two GOT season finales. Stupid but I'm not sure I'm all that bothered by it in either case. :shrug: If someone thinks I should bingewatch GOT, speak up. I am just about to finish the first book and am not sure I'll continue reading those but I might be open to the TV show.

good lord, yes- you should watch the rest of GOT.

yeah, Mr Robot was pretty great... especially because I didn't think it would be much. and even though it heads in a direction we all kind of expected- it does it in a very self-aware, fun way. I really didn't like the girl or Slater as actors, but they don't really even diminish- and the production value: direction, editing, music, art-direction... is consistently fantastic. I didn't feel like it lost a step in the show and half you missed, AA.

Penny dreadful... it's not great. but it has moments of greatness. it's fun- and also does the productino value really consistently well.

Thanks, El Floppo. Okay, I will binge on GOT at some point soon, maybe around the holidays. My SO would not be happy with me if I didn't as she bought me the first three seasons on DVD (yeah, we still do DVDs) anyway, so, yeah. Thanks for the rec. I have a feeling I will become one of those "junior varsity" people, as the FFA would say, who goes TV only on that; the first book has been good but not great.

Nice, I'm glad to hear there was no dropoff with Mr. Robot. I have been avoiding that thread in the FFA for far too long and need to finish the show already. Just one of those things that I want to savor and haven't made the time. OK, this weekend.

Good call about the production values on Penny Dreadful; I thought they were stunning. As is Eva Green. I was also pleasantly surprised to find Tim Dalton and Billie Piper (loved her from New Doctor Who and knew her from her marriage to Laurence Fox) on hand; I had no idea either of them was involved.

I'd like to hear from someone who watches The Knick too. The premise is interesting and I like Clive Owen. Anyone?

Lessee, I guess S.H.I.E.L.D. has its own thread, so I won't talk about that here, or I'll just say that show has taken things to another dimension entirely. Not they didn't have some pretty comprehensive source material, but what a job of world-building. And enough with the unintended puns about Simmons. Anyway, for ridiculously shallow FFA purposes I will note that SHIELD has to rival Arrow in the shows that I watch for wall-to-wall attractive women now that Don Draper and his wives and conquests are no longer with us ( :( ). Maybe PLL or Scream Queens would be up there as well, but I've never seen either.

S2E2 of The Flash ("Flash of Two Worlds") was a treat for anyone who ever read that comic, as the show has now firmly added DC's parallel worlds "multiverse" concept to the possibility of time travel, both elements which are pretty much staples for The Flash character in any depiction. (The title of this episode comes from the early 1960s issue of "The Flash" comic of the same title that first introduced Earth-Two.) Some of the ideas, especially those in the stinger when we got a glimpse of Earth-Two, hearkened back very strongly to Fringe, but then Fringe drew heavily from parallel universe ideas ranging from DC comics themselves to original Star Trek's "Mirror, Mirror," and the idea can be traced way back to Flatland, H.G. Wells, Heinlein, Swift, and even the Wizard of Oz. It will be interesting to see how this show is going to put its stamp on the concept, visually and thematically. The villain of the week was fairly interesting, new mysteries were introduced regarding two of the supporting characters, and Grant Gustin started portraying Barry as more of a leader rather than a kid with powers who is just along for the ride. Meanwhile, Teddy Sears was a nice addition as The Flash of Earth-Two, and even though it was pretty clear how it would happen, the mechanism for Tom Cavanagh's ability to remain on the show was firmly established.

Unlike a lot of shows that juggle the monster-of-the-week/overall mytharc dichotomy in ways that don't sync up well and are jarring, almost as though you're watching different shows from week to week, The Flash, over its run so far, has handled that seamlessly. Moreover, they've left me wondering each week how they're going to fit everything in, and wanting more. There simply isn't much, if any, filler. This is really a first-class treatment of the character and also a very uplifting and funny show (not just superhero show) to boot. Great stuff.

Of the three new cop-like shows, Quantico, Minority Report and Blindspot... I think I'm enjoying Minority Report just a little more than the others. None of them are amazing, but I guess I'm kind of ho hum about the larger overall plots for Quantico and Blindspot still.

The pilot of The Grinder wasn't bad but I don't think I'll be watching it for too long. I think it's a limited premise that will eventually become a sappy family show.

I hope I'm wrong.
This is the sitcom with Rob Lowe? I don't watch sitcoms at all. Last one I watched was Sex And The City, which wasn't really a standard sitcom.
That's funny. The only show that you listed that I've seen was 24.99% of sitcoms suck.
Well, if you don't like law enforcement shows, then yeah. Without a Trace, though, is in my all-time Top Ten series. 24 would be as well and the X-Files maybe just outside. Oh, The Mentalist was damn good, too, but had a lot of problems midway through its run. The others I listed are/were fine to crap (Criminal Minds - that's the SO's and I watch it too for unknown reasons; utter garbage for all but four of their eps each year).
I also enjoyed Without a Trace.

The X-Files is in my top 5 all-time.

I have watched most of the Criminal Minds episodes the past few years. It is okay. I like seeing the horrible people get caught.
Nice to hear from another Without a Trace fan. It lost its way and declined a bit when Poppy Montgomery insisted on having her pregnancy AND baby daddy (oof) written into the script, but before that (S1 through S5) it was outstanding.

Yup, X-Files is great. Looking forward to the new ones in a few months.

Criminal Minds shows occasional flashes (like last season's "Mr. Scratch," which I believe was the penultimate ep of the season and one of its best ever), but mostly disappoints me because the writers are mostly hacks. If they ever took the hot, gorgeous A.J. Cook off I might not watch, but I have a feeling this may be the last season anyway.
A.J. Cook is amazing.

Of the three new cop-like shows, Quantico, Minority Report and Blindspot... I think I'm enjoying Minority Report just a little more than the others. None of them are amazing, but I guess I'm kind of ho hum about the larger overall plots for Quantico and Blindspot still.
I've watched each of these... other than the insanely hot chick in Quantico, I don't really see anything worth watching for me. Minority Report was painfully bad- writing and acting- so I only gave that one shot. the other... meh.

My DVR series:

The Last Ship

The Strain

Mr. Robot

The League

Fear the Walking Dead

The Flash

Fargo

Big Bang Theory

Minority Report

Gotham

Limitless

Goldbergs

Heroes Reborn

Hawaii Five-0

Brooklyn 99

Quantico

Blindspot

Agents of Shield

Walking Dead

Blacklist

Halt and Catch Fire

Game of Thrones

Agent Carter

Legends

Last edited by a moderator:
My DVR series:

The Last Ship

The Strain

Mr. Robot

The League

Fear the Walking Dead

The Flash

Fargo

Big Bang Theory

Minority Report

Gotham

Limitless

Goldbergs

Heroes Reborn

Hawaii Five-0

Brooklyn 99

Quantico

Blindspot

Agents of Shield

Walking Dead

Blacklist

Halt and Catch Fire

Game of Thrones

Agent Carter

Legends
You watch The Flash but not Arrow?

Anyone know why the pole shows 20 votes but only 17 or something are itemized? I assume I did something stupid.

I agree with larch - if you enjoy The Flash, you will enjoy Arrow. The tone is quite different, but the feel is the same. Arrow S3 did bog down a bit in some of its plotlines, but it was still enjoyable.

Anyone know why the pole shows 20 votes but only 17 or something are itemized? I assume I did something stupid.
You did not do anything stupid. They are null votes.
Ah, thanks. No, I'm still stupid - what's a null vote? Effectively a selection of a phantom "none of the above" option? I wasn't aware you could do that. :shrug:
You have two buttons: Vote! and View Results (Null Vote). The first one only works if you select something. The other is no vote at all but you get to see the current totals.

Delete your vote (click Delete Vote) and then you should be able to see both buttons.

You did not do anything stupid. They are null votes.
Ah, thanks. No, I'm still stupid - what's a null vote? Effectively a selection of a phantom "none of the above" option? I wasn't aware you could do that. :shrug:
You have two buttons: Vote! and View Results (Null Vote). The first one only works if you select something. The other is no vote at all but you get to see the current totals.

Delete your vote (click Delete Vote) and then you should be able to see both buttons.
And knock back Person of Interest's lead? I DON'T THINK SO. (I know I could just vote again)

I never knew that viewing the results without voting left a discernible trace. Thanks again.

Just saw a preview for The Returned and realized I'd never seen an episode. The show I was referring to was Intruders.

The Returned looks interesting. What's it about?

Could be awful but I think "The Man In The High Castle" series on Amazon will finally get me to go Prime.

ETA: I ordered Fargo Season 1 and convinced my wife to watch it with me (I had already seen it). We zipped through 5 shows and she is loving it. Can't to catch up with Season 2 (can't go into the Fargo thread yet).

Just saw a preview for The Returned and realized I'd never seen an episode. The show I was referring to was Intruders.

I actually made it through the whole season of Intruders but wouldn't have watched a second season.

The Returned is an American remake of a French series. I think jdogg watched the French one. Random people, who have been dead for years, mysteriously come back. They don't know why either. Weird things happen around them. I was a little disappointed by the end. Felt it was too rushed and didn't answer questions, just created more. Actually, it's a little similar to Intruders since you don't really know what's going on so it can be tough to follow at times.

I actually made it through the whole season of Intruders but wouldn't have watched a second season.

The Returned is an American remake of a French series. I think jdogg watched the French one. Random people, who have been dead for years, mysteriously come back. They don't know why either. Weird things happen around them. I was a little disappointed by the end. Felt it was too rushed and didn't answer questions, just created more. Actually, it's a little similar to Intruders since you don't really know what's going on so it can be tough to follow at times.
French one was fantastic stuff. did a good job balancing the mystery/creepy factor without it going maudlin or goofy. I never saw the US remake, but looking forward to the 2nd season of the French one. Some of the better TV from the year it came out, IMO.

I recommend the 8 part miniseries "Last Kingdom". Its finishing up with the eighth episode Saturday. BBC production based on the Bernard Cornwell "Saxon Tales" books.

If you like Viking marauders, interesting characters and good production values you'll enjoy this. I;m also a fan that the series stayed 95% true to the books.

Last Kingdom covers the first two books of Cornwell's series and if ratings are good, its likely the other books will be made into a series.

I recommend the 8 part miniseries "Last Kingdom". Its finishing up with the eighth episode Saturday. BBC production based on the Bernard Cornwell "Saxon Tales" books.

If you like Viking marauders, interesting characters and good production values you'll enjoy this. I;m also a fan that the series stayed 95% true to the books.

Last Kingdom covers the first two books of Cornwell's series and if ratings are good, its likely the other books will be made into a series.
Last Kingdom is pretty good. For anyone who read the books they scooted over a bunch of the younger Uthred stuff to not have a teen protagonist. It works well.

Who voted for Dark Matter and why? I loved it and would like to hear someone else's take. I was floored SyFy actually figured out to renew it.
I was going to but went with Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Didn't expect such a well-written story from a SyFy show (a lot of bad in it but the good makes up for it IMO).
My mom, who has become some voracious consumer of all things sci-fi (which is cute and awesome), recommended Dark Matter to me; I might have missed it otherwise. I had never heard of the comic. Its quality surprised me as well, particularly after the initial eps seemed to have way too much of an "Alien" feel to them in terms of the ship layout and look, the corporations, etc. None of that ended up mattering (although I would like a better sense of where everything is on the ship, how many decks it has, etc. - just stuff that interests me).

I thought S1 was terrific with only two eps I would consider subpar (Four goes to meet the guy his family sent after him, and the first space station visit, even though the latter advanced the arc plot). The space-zombie-on-derelict-ship ep was right out of Star Trek and I loved it. The final four episodes kicked it all into another gear. With the way it ended I have to believe SyFy told them way in advance that it was getting renewed but who knows. That would have been some frustrating way to have a series end.

I was surprised to find that everyone on the Previously TV forums hates One; I like him, like the actor, and enjoy his comic relief. But then I often sense that I am quite different from most of the posters over there demographically, to say no more.
I started watching this and am hooked. It probably helps Melissa O’Neil is hot.

Who voted for Dark Matter and why? I loved it and would like to hear someone else's take. I was floored SyFy actually figured out to renew it.
I was going to but went with Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Didn't expect such a well-written story from a SyFy show (a lot of bad in it but the good makes up for it IMO).
My mom, who has become some voracious consumer of all things sci-fi (which is cute and awesome), recommended Dark Matter to me; I might have missed it otherwise. I had never heard of the comic. Its quality surprised me as well, particularly after the initial eps seemed to have way too much of an "Alien" feel to them in terms of the ship layout and look, the corporations, etc. None of that ended up mattering (although I would like a better sense of where everything is on the ship, how many decks it has, etc. - just stuff that interests me).

I thought S1 was terrific with only two eps I would consider subpar (Four goes to meet the guy his family sent after him, and the first space station visit, even though the latter advanced the arc plot). The space-zombie-on-derelict-ship ep was right out of Star Trek and I loved it. The final four episodes kicked it all into another gear. With the way it ended I have to believe SyFy told them way in advance that it was getting renewed but who knows. That would have been some frustrating way to have a series end.

I was surprised to find that everyone on the Previously TV forums hates One; I like him, like the actor, and enjoy his comic relief. But then I often sense that I am quite different from most of the posters over there demographically, to say no more.
I started watching this and am hooked. It probably helps Melissa O’Neil is hot.
She is very pretty, no doubt. Former Canadian Idol winner, too. I guess she used to be heavier. Not anymore. I think she's also a pretty good actress with a nice sarcastic side. Very believable physicality and credible as the leader.

Glad you're into this. Let us know what you think when you finish. :thumbup:

Have finished up some shows I had queued up for binge watching.

Killjoys... wow. Great show. Fantastic job in casting. Overall writing, character development, etc, are good and they pull them off despite the rapid pace of the storylines. I thought Aaron Ashmore was decent in Warehouse 13, but I think the role of John is a perfect fit for him. I enjoyed Dark Matter enough to keep watching it, but it had so many annoying and eye-rolling moments for me (naming your main character the same as a porn star... really?) that it isn't even close to being on Killjoy's level. If you liked Dark Matter, give Killjoys a try if you haven't.

Quantico. Their goal seemed to be a blend of 24 and 90210. The 24 part isn't good enough to make it watchable for that on its own, so unless you get into the romances between the characters enough I'm not sure I can stick with this.

Minority Report. Still in on this. Love the overall setting from the movie and want to see where they take it. Not brilliantly done, but they pull off the technology of the future well enough I'll keep watching.

Blindspot. Eh. I still mostly watch it for Sif in Earth clothing. I really hope they develop Rob Brown's character (the black FBI agent). I thought he was great in Finding Forrester and think he deserves more work. Not that he'll get the chance here to be a lead, but expanding his character would be great.

Is anyone going to give a shot to the new NBC cop drama "Shades Of Blue" starring J-Lo and Henry Hill? It has an interesting premise, but the bombarding of the promos is nearing the level of those FanDuel/DraftKings commercials. During last night's SNF they ran a promo almost every break. You can almost feel the backlash coming.

watched the first few episodes of Superstore, and I think it's pretty funny. for an 8PM show, they don't shy away from the risque or crude jokes.

and the pregnant chick's boyfriend kills me with his "WI WI WIIIIIIII!" noise.

Did we discuss Legends in here yet?

kind of enjoying it... 2nd season better than the first, although starting to wear thin.

The Expanse is dreadful.
It really feels like 3 different shows to me:

1. The space part. (Really like it)

2. The "belters" part. (Sort of a low-rent Total Recall- minus the triple-breasted chick vibe to it - meh.)

3. The Earth part. (Terrible. Can't stand that actress' voice)

I was all ready to argue with you and say this show is great, but I realize I only pay attention to part 1, sort of watch part 2, and scroll the FFA on the iPad for part 3, so maybe you're right.

I mentioned Fortitude in the Netflix thread... but I think it's on Amazon. we're about half-way through a 12 episode season and so far I'm really liking it. we typically have the macro and micro story-lines figured out halfway through the first episode of a new show- but every episode in this twists and turns so much I have no idea what's going on... in a good way. somebody else compared it to Lynch (Twin Peaks) and it's got that dark/bizarre thing going along with being very well acted (Stanley Tucci is fantastic). highly recommend the first half of this.

Active shows I'm watching:

The Walking Dead

Fear The Walking Dead

The Leftovers

Fargo

The Red Road

Game of Thrones

Better Call Saul

True Detective

The Americans

Bates Motel

The Strain

12 Monkeys

Hell on Wheels

Pretty close to dropping those last two from the list.

Looking forward to:

Vinyl

The People vs. OJ Simpson
Looks like Red Road is cancelled after 2 seasons. I'm caught up on everything so currently streaming:

Sopranos (2 episodes left)

The Killing season 4

In the queue:

New season of Arrested Development

Making a Murderer or whatever it's called

Man in the High Castle.

I mentioned Fortitude in the Netflix thread... but I think it's on Amazon. we're about half-way through a 12 episode season and so far I'm really liking it. we typically have the macro and micro story-lines figured out halfway through the first episode of a new show- but every episode in this twists and turns so much I have no idea what's going on... in a good way. somebody else compared it to Lynch (Twin Peaks) and it's got that dark/bizarre thing going along with being very well acted (Stanley Tucci is fantastic). highly recommend the first half of this.
we finished it up, 12 episodes... it's on Amazon.

ended with a bit of a fizzle, but overall really enjoyed it. I think once it gets into the viewer having a more complete sense of what's going on, it starts going on the decline. I mostly enjoyed each episode leaving me :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread