What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aerial Assault's ***OFFICIAL Miscellaneous/Catch-All TV Thread***: Freshly Edited Since Like Two People Asked (3 Viewers)

What is the best new show of the last two (or so) TV seasons?

• The Man in the High Castle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Handmaid's Tale

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Feud: Bette and Joan

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • This Is Us

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Legion

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Preacher

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Blood Drive

• Riverdale

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Victoria

• Stranger Things

• Better Call Saul

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Other (Explain)

• Total voters
We started watching this a while ago, and just caught up with The Missing on Starz (also on Amazon Prime)- pretty amazing, start to finish. fantastic acting and writing, keeps you guessing (at least me, even if I had some ideas), and finishes well IMO. tough to watch as a parent though.

anybody else catch this?

I'll bump my own thread because I saw that Greg bumped the eight-post Legends thread, and I'll respond here instead.

I loved Season 2. It was dark, gritty, had some great European locations, and felt very cinematic. The premise was good and the dialogue was excellent. Some (many) viewers apparently found the constant flashbacks difficult to follow, and anticipating that criticism, I knew this wasn't long for TNT (or any network really). But it was a strong season. In the end, Martin/Alexei's fate bore many similarities to Jack Bauer's. Anyway, the only problem with S2 was that it didn't have Ali Larter around to fulfill my smoking hot gal requirement. But that role was filled nicely by Winter Ave Zoli as the hottest police officer in Czech history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the continual "break out yet another identity every other episode" of Season 1 was just a bit much to sustain. They did a much, much better job having the whole season be a story arc centered around one identity.

When I started watching the season I did think for a bit how it seems like every show these days is going overboard on flashbacks, even short ones where they start the show with a glimpse of something ominous and then do "36 hours earlier..." and basically start the episode.

But the way it ended up going in Legends I was good with it. Didn't have any trouble keeping track of it really and it was a good way of unraveling the story when he doesn't remember so much of it himself.

Agree about Winter Ave Zoli too. I saw she had a credit for Agents of SHIELD but didn't recall her in it. Just looked it up, she was the mother of the girl that Agent May killed that led to May ending her career in the field until Coulson got her to join his team. And coincidence, the daughter's name was Katya.

We started watching this a while ago, and just caught up with The Missing on Starz (also on Amazon Prime)- pretty amazing, start to finish. fantastic acting and writing, keeps you guessing (at least me, even if I had some ideas), and finishes well IMO. tough to watch as a parent though.

anybody else catch this?
I did. Pretty great up to the end.

Was bored last night and started watching PBS Independent Lens documentary In Football We Trust

About the FilmIn Football We Trust transports viewers deep inside the tightly-knit and complex Polynesian community in Salt Lake City, one of the chief sources of the modern influx of Pacific Islander football players to the NFL. Shot over a four-year period with intimate access, the film follows four young men striving to overcome gang violence and near poverty through the promise of American football.
Excellent. Highly recommend.

even better than some of the 30 for 30 films.

anybody else catch this?
I did. Pretty great up to the end.
are you saying it was good through the end, or that it was good until the end (which you didn't like)?

rewatched the final episode last night and it reaffirms how much I liked how it ended- just enough wiggle room of doubt/lack of clarity to keep me guessing. love that.

re: Legends... I got the sense that Sean Bean saw Orphan Black and said- hey, I can do that too, right down to the russian accent. I'm enjoying the second season more than the first- don't think it's tippy-top stuff, but still a decent watch.

I'll bump my own thread because I saw that Greg bumped the eight-post Legends thread, and I'll respond here instead.
Solid thread, keep it going.

Currently watching:

The Leftovers (catching up)

Shameless

Black Sails

Upcoming:

TWD 2/14

Better Call Saul 2/15

Vikings 2/18

Last Man on Earch in March

GOT in April

In Que (appreciate any feedback on these if they are worth while):

The Missing on Starz (because of this thread)

Outlander on Starz

Wolf Haul on PBS

Hand of God on Prime

Red Oaks on Prime

The Unbelievers on Netflix

Longmire on Netflix

The first episode of Colony was ok. Probable stick with it for awhile to see wtf.
Ended up binge watching the first 3 episodes. I like that it's filled with moral dilemma, just wonder how long before it's the same story each week. I hope they can keep it fresh and progress the story with more and more info and fight against the aliens. Reminds me of the old show V. No one else watching this?

Went and found my thread on page 772 to change the "I posted here" icon.  

And to say that Melissa Benoist is gorgeous.  Loving Supergirl.  Flash crossover coming in March. :thumbup:

I guess I like Colony but it does go very slow.  

Remembered tonight that we didn't finish the second season of The Americans. Watched eps 9 & 10.... So good.

Alone is a pretty interesting show.Last season was pretty enjoyable.The second season just started not too long ago.They drop 10 people off on Vancouver Island in different locations with just a few basic supplies .Last one standing wins 500 grand.

Just caught the tail end of the season 1 replay a couple weeks ago and was into it pretty quick. Been watching season 2 now and giving it a shot. 
3 women are in it this year should be interesting on how well they do.Also a couple of survivalist trainers.I think the mental aspect of being totally alone can be as tough as the physical challenges.

Now that the season is over is Quantico worth watching?
Unknown!   We're still catching up on the fall shows we regularly watch and did not start Quantico.  It seemed to draw mostly favorable comments online, but I couldn't read too much detail so as to avoid spoilerage. 

3 women are in it this year should be interesting on how well they do.Also a couple of survivalist trainers.I think the mental aspect of being totally alone can be as tough as the physical challenges.
Starting to really enjoy this.Pulling for Nichole.When she got the salmon she yelled its huge.So of course I said to my wife thats what she said.

Looking to start a new series.  Any thoughts on the following?

Black Mirror

Peaky Blinders

Six Feet Under

Narcos

Stranger Things

Black Mirror

Peaky Blinders

Six Feet Under

Narcos

Stranger Things
what do you want out of it? each of those are good (although not a fan of the one Black Mirror episode I watched) are going to provide totally different experiences, IMO.

in just a pure ratings way, Six Feet Under is the top of that bunch... but it's a long haul.

Narcos was a good time if you can get past voice-overs, and has a second season coming out shortly (or already).

I'm absolutely loving Stranger Things- well made, great 80s mash-up, very creepy. Will have to wait a year for any 2nd season.

I haven't seen Peaky Blinders and as mentioned, not a fan of the one Black Mirror I saw.

have you seen The Returned (french version)?

Black Mirror

Peaky Blinders

Six Feet Under

Narcos

Stranger Things
Black Mirror is different each episodes so it's not like a series you have to watch in any time period. I liked it although some were better than others.

I love Peaky Blinders. 

I only made it a few episodes into Six Feet Under. Seemed a bit soap opera-y to me. That's just me, many people put it in their Top 5.

Narcos is very good but I was a bit annoyed with the VO throughout but it is needed to push the story forward. Season 2 is out soon and I've read that there will be much less voiceover because we are pretty much caught up on the backstory.

Probably will start Stranger Things this week.

I'd say Peaky Blinders.

So what is Black Mirror about?  I try to avoid reading stuff online about shows to avoid spoilers.

So what is Black Mirror about?  I try to avoid reading stuff online about shows to avoid spoilers.
Hm.  Okay . . . anthology series with a different cast every episode.  The common theme is techno-paranoia and how various aspects of technology (real and lightly fictionalized) reflect and impact humanity.  The title refers to what you see in a computer screen (or similar) with the power off.  

Users who are viewing this thread