What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**AFC Divisional Round - Texans at Ravens** (-9.5, 46) Kickoff Sat 4:30 (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Looks like this will be the 1st game of the Divisional Round
Loved the way the Texans played last weekend, this will be quite a mountain for them to climb

Go!

I could legitimately see giving Houston a small chance if they still had Tank, and everything broke right. Don't think they get it done, but man what a force they're going to be in years to come.

Between this and another KC/BUF matchup, this is going to be a plant your ### in front of the TV all day kind of weekend.

No one good place to put this, but WOW the AFC QBs left! Mahomes, Allen, Jackson and Stroud. I’m honestly not sure if there has ever been a divisional round where one conference had 4 QBs this good.
I just did a quick look back in time. 2013-14 playoffs the AFC had Brady, Peyton, Rivers and Luck. But yeah, this group is crazy good.

Expecting the Ravens to win by multiple scores(I think any time I've made a prediction in one of these threads it's been wrong, so...)

As of now, the forecast for game time is 28, partly cloudy, and 18-20mph winds.

I seem to recall Jackson not playing well in cold games.

Ravens.

I think I have them winning the Super Bowl.

They've beaten almost every contender handily. Like, badly. SF was the latest.

Houston proves more of a nuisance than a speed bump, but Baltimore gets it done. Can't believe I have this much faith in Lamar, somebody in whom I had none before the year.

But they're just dynamite—as is he—and they keep proving it every week.

Baltimore 37
Houston 21

Ravens.

I think I have them winning the Super Bowl.

They've beaten almost every contender handily. Like, badly. SF was the latest.

Houston proves more of a nuisance than a speed bump, but Baltimore gets it done. Can't believe I have this much faith in Lamar, somebody in whom I had none before the year.

But they're just dynamite—as is he—and they keep proving it every week.

Baltimore 37
Houston 21
Playoff Lamar is about to smack a lot of people with a reality check soon (again).

That said, I hope we get to see BUF/BAL next week. I'll take the best regular season team vs the hottest team any day of the week.

Interesting matchup to kick off The Divisional Round.
There's a reason The Ravens didn't play last week.
We sometimes get caught up in the last great thing and forget about the number one seeds.
LaMar has had some playoff frustration in his career.
I think he takes it out on this weeks opponent.
Houston deserves to be here and they are fun to watch and CLEARLY the best team in Texas,buy...

Baltimore Ravens- 33
Houston Texans- 17

LJax has one playoff win. People keep counting Stroud out. Not saying Texans win but their defense has been playing well and I like their chances.

• Ravens are the #1 Seed
  • Lamar is the NFL MVP
  • Ravens lose their first playoff game 28-12 to the 6th-seeded Titans
  • Lamar had a 52% completion rate, 1 TD, 2 INTs, and was sacked 4 times. He also accounted for over 500 yards of total offense.
2023/24
  • Ravens are the #1 seed
  • Lamar will win the NFL MVP
  • Ravens will lose their first playoff game 28-17
  • Lamar will throw for more INTs than TDs

Spread's hanging around in the no-man's-land between 7 and 10. I make this game closer to 7 than 10. Baltimore is really good and should win but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Texans keep it close. Hoping they do.

Texans who did not participate in practice include defensive ends Jonathan Greenard (ankle) and Will Anderson Jr. (ankle), who were both limited during Tuesday’s practice. Fellow defensive end Jerry Hughes (ankle) did not practice for the second straight day. The same goes for defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins (ribs/shoulder) and fullback Andrew Beck (back).

Several other players were limited Wednesday, including linebackers Blake Cashman (knee), Denzel Perryman (ribs) and Christian Harris (calf), defensive tackle Maliek Collins (hip), receivers John Metchie III (foot) and Robert Woods (hip) and cornerback Kris Boyd (hamstring).

Last edited:
Starting Baltimore CB Marlon Humphrey didn't practice again today, almost certainly means he is out for Saturday as he hasn't practice since injuring his calf in the first half vs Miami in Week 17. This is a tough break for the Ravens, not only because it knocks out their #1 CB but also because it limits (somewhat) their flexibility in deploying Kyle Hamilton.

Ravens waived Melvin Gordon, so recently acquired RB Dalvin Cook is likely to be active. He is very much the 3rd RB on the depth chart behind Gus Edwards and Justice Hill - maybe they have a package of plays for him or something, but I don't expect him to be much of a factor

Clowney missed practice with illness yesterday but is back today. Looks like primary Returner Devin Duvernay will be back after missing the final 4 games of the season. And Mark Andrews was a full go in practice yesterday - will be fascinating to see if the Ravens activate him for this game.

38-23 Ravens. Lamar runs and passes wild for he Ravens 4+ total TDs. Ravens D steps up big time and bullies Stroud for most of the game. Maybe a couple of costly turnovers that turn into quick points. Zay Flowers has a game. Ravens look like a Super Bowl favorite after the win.

This is a tough game for me to call, because I really like the Ravens based on their coach, their players and their style of play. The Ravens are at home and have obviously the better team. On the other hand, I absolutely love watching the Texans' rookie QB C. J. Stroud. He is so calm in the pocket and he has both accuracy and a very quick delivery. I think that the Texans will be able to move the ball and score some, especially if Humphrey is out. On the other hand, the Texans have a host of injuries on the defensive side of the ball and the Ravens can definitely take advantage of this. For the season, the Ravens are +12 in turnovers and the Texans are 0. I expect that unless the Texans win the turnover battle by at least two, this game will not be close.

Ravens 31, Texans 20.

I was spot on about the Texans beating the Browns handedly and I'll double up on them this week. I see the Lamar postseason curse coming into play again with the Texans squeaking out a victory in a close game. Texans 27-24 🤞

If you believe in DVOA, this Ravens team is 3rd in all time DVOA since I believe 1981, behind the 91 Redskins and some other legendary team. If Houston wins, it would have to be one of if not the biggest playoff upsets ever.

As a Baltimore native/ fan, it was hard to see the O’s go down so fast last year in the playoffs and based on recent past with Ravens and Lamar, feel pretty uneasy heading into tomorows game. This team however feels different than 2019; much more explosive under Monken and the defense more resilient and opportunistic. Houston is young and loose — a dangerous combo —

Hoping for a good game with Ravens on top ! Let’s go !

Houston is the most dangerous team in the NFL right now. Young, exceeding expectations 10 fold and with nothing to lose.

This is a tough tough game to gauge but I am going to go with experience and coaching in this one. Lamar and Jim. They get it done with that killer defense vs an outstanding rookie QB who will finally taste post season January football in the cold vs a physical crazed defense.

Ravens 31
Texans 20

I think Marlon Humphrey being out is big, because I don't think the Ravens can stop Nico Collins without committing multiple defenders to him every play, and that's not really what they do. Also think Mark Andrews being unable to play, is going to make it quite a bit easier for Houston than it would be otherwise.

On the other side, this feels like a game where Lamar's legs are going to be Houston's biggest issue. I wouldn't be shocked if this was one of those 12-20 carry games for Lamar, where the Ravens frustrate by playing keep away.

I think this is truly a 50-50 game. Basically depends on if the spotlight is too big for Stroud (seems unlikely) or Ryans (more likely) I'm picking the Texans against the spread, but I'm not as confident they'll win outright.

Baltimore on paper, but I really need to see Lamar take the next step. I've seen his previous playoff games and not impressed. Hasn't once led the team to more than 20 points, and his 4 tds to 7 turnovers is drastically bad even if it's only been 4 starts.

Also think Mark Andrews being unable to play, is going to make it quite a bit easier for Houston than it would be otherwise.
They've averaged 33.8 points per game (not counting Week 18) since he went on IR
I don't think there is any correlation in that stat. They are better with Andrews than without, as any team is with their best weapon.
Yeah, there is. It made Jackson spread the ball around more.

Andrews is great, but the best thing that happened to the Ravens the last several weeks was for him to be out.

Also think Mark Andrews being unable to play, is going to make it quite a bit easier for Houston than it would be otherwise.
They've averaged 33.8 points per game (not counting Week 18) since he went on IR
I don't think there is any correlation in that stat. They are better with Andrews than without, as any team is with their best weapon.

Andrews is great, but the best thing that happened to the Ravens the last several weeks was for him to be out.
You really think they are better off without him? I get that his loss made Lamar change his game a bit, but its not like his return would force that to go away right? It'd just make the available weaponry better.

You really think they are better off without him? I get that his loss made Lamar change his game a bit, but its not like his return would force that to go away right? It'd just make the available weaponry better.
It's me being paranoid that, Jackson under stress, locks in on Andrews too much. I shouldn't feel that way, because Lamar is so much better than he used to be.

Ravens TE Mark Andrews was a full participant in practice, though Ravens in "wait and see mode" with him for Saturday.

TE Mark Andrews was not activated off injured reserve Friday, which means he will not play in the Baltimore Ravens' divisional playoff game against the Houston Texans on Saturday.

I'm picking:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX..aaaNNNNNNNNNaa..
XXXXXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZ
XXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZ
XXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZ
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX,
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXO7
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX7OOO
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOO
XXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX7OOOOO
XXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOO
XXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:OOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN:XXXXXXXXXXXXXX+OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN+XXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNX+NNNN:XXNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXX:NXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN:XXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXOOOOOOOOOO:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNXXXXXXOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXOOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXNNNNNNNNNZXXXXXOOOOOOO+
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXNNNNNNNNNXXXXXOOOOOOO7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXNNNNNNN+XXXXOOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN+XXXXOOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXXOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZXXX:OOOO:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXX7OOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXOOOOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNXXXOOOOO7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXZNNNNNNNNNNNXX+OOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNNNNNZXXOO
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXNNXX+

I'm picking:

XXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZ
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
that's pretty cool but why does it appear to say "NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO..."

I'm picking:

XXXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNZ
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
XXXNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
that's pretty cool but why does it appear to say "NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO..."

Message to all those people picking the Texans opponents in the playoffs.

Just saying.

Edwards/Cook/Hill - I don't think they scare anyone.

Jackson is unproven in the playoffs.

Lamar is the MVP, but he only won that thing in the past month. Prior to that, he was good....but wasn't exactly blowing the NFL up.

HOU has some speed, a good coach who will have this team believing they aren't just happy to be here and the NFL Rookie of the Year. For HOU to win, they have to keep that foot on the gas on O; a hard task with how great the BAL D has been.

I think this will be a 1 score game in the mid 3rd, HOU will look good and then BAL will pull away. But, if BAL turns the ball over and HOU doesn't, they can lose this game.

It's going to be cold (like 20F at kickoff) & windy (like 15-20mph) in Baltimore today.

Mark Andrews & Marlon Humphrey are both out for Baltimore. I'm not sure which available players Houston is without.

I love, love, LOVE what Houston has done. Stroud reminds me of Marino - just the way he stands in there and throws darts. They need more players, but this is a wrecking crew on the rise.

This is a Ravens defense day. Even without Humphrey, they'll get it done.

Baltimore 17, Houston 9

Wow, I have the Ravens sort of dominating this one. I, of course, could be wrong but see Scoresman's post upthread about DVOA. The Ravens haven't just beaten good teams, they've destroyed them. Look what they did to two of the teams left that are favored this weekend, the Lions and the 49ers. Those were wipe outs. They've already beaten Houston, 25-9.

Is Greenard healthy for the Texans? Is Anderson over his ankle sprain?

You mean to tell me the Texans are going to win with the slowest running back in the league? I know Baltimore's run defense isn't great, but can they capitalize on it?

I say no, they can't. They'll be throwing the ball all game and Stroud will be under duress. Baltimore, meanwhile, will have plenty of time to throw and Jackson will pick Houston apart.

Plus, folks, this is outdoors on the road for Houston.

I think the cover, if it comes, is back door

Baltimore 33
Houston 20

The ghost of 2019 hangs heavy over this game. I think that’s to the Ravens advantage, as they’re not going to look past the Texans

This team is also better prepared to handle adversity than that team was. Against the Rams, SF and Miami over the last month, the Ravens got behind early, made adjustments without panic and put the hammer down from mid-2nd quarter to the 4th

Interestingly, Harbaugh was one of the first guys to lean into aggressively going for it on 4th down and now he’s backed off on that. I think sometimes a big favorite can undermine itself by giving up good field position on a failed 4th down attempt, as happened multiple times in that 2019 playoff loss

Finally, this offense has so many ways to beat you and Lamar and Monken are in synch on how to use those weapons. Lamar has run very little the second half of the season and that’s something I feel like the Ravens can break out at any minute

Ravens play it close to the vest early, pull away through the mid-portion and then withstand a rally that makes it a little closer than it needs to be, 34-26

I’ll probably look foolish but I think Houston keeps this a lot closer than most think. Ravens win on a final drive field goal.
27-25

Stroud should be fine in poor weather unless there are stats showing otherwise. Kid also plays big in big games.

Hoping we get a close one. I’d def take the points if betting.

Users who are viewing this thread