What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Afterlife - Logically (1 Viewer)

I guess I would agree with that to only i would say religion is actually 100% about the after life.  The fear of death/unkown is that creepy uncle hiding in every single one of our brains.  We are all afraid of it.  Religion helps that fear by allowing people to release into something they can't control.  It's 100% about death
Agreed, at least for Christianity.

Other than the afterlife Jesus is just a good person, successful leader and decent philosopher. 

IMO, believing in a God is no less logical than believing a mass the size of a subatomic particle with the contents of everything we know was just randomly sitting there in space and one day...poof, magically explodes into the universe.

Agreed, at least for Christianity.

Other than the afterlife Jesus is just a good person, successful leader and decent philosopher. 
Christians also believe Jesus healed, fed masses, controlled weather and raised the dead. 

IMO, believing in a God is no less logical than believing a mass the size of a subatomic particle with the contents of everything we know was just randomly sitting there in space and one day...poof, magically explodes into the universe.
Not mutually exclusive imo

The worst part about that if there is nothing after death is that people don't know they were wrong.  Now if I die and see the pearly gates when I crossover I know I am screwed.  ;)

Glad to see you have it all figured out. 

If there's one constant in human history it's that many things we "know" are consistently proven wrong. 

Nobody is going to prove the existence of God, today. But neither can you prove the nonexistence. You can say proof of a negative is harder than proof of a positive but it doesn't change the fact that we really do not know, really, either way. 

Personally, I believe there's something else out there, I want it to be God. But frankly I'd bet all religions are wrong in something. Except agnostics. 
The bolded is absolutely true. For example, for 30 years I lived my life "knowing" christianity was right. 

But the more I studied the bible, the less believable it became. I don't know if there is a religion that is right, but I eventually came to realize that christianity is wrong. Wasn't an easy path though. I literally went through the five stages of grief to let it go. 

The worst part about that if there is nothing after death is that people don't know they were wrong.  Now if I die and see the pearly gates when I crossover I know I am screwed.  ;)
That's where logic could win out.

Love your life believing and be wrong, you know nothing. Love your life not believing and be wrong, that's gonna suck.

The bolded is absolutely true. For example, for 30 years I lived my life "knowing" christianity was right. 

But the more I studied the bible, the less believable it became. I don't know if there is a religion that is right, but I eventually came to realize that christianity is wrong. Wasn't an easy path though. I literally went through the five stages of grief to let it go. 
You get programmed by religion.  It is hard to overcome the guilt the comes with questioning and looking at it objectively.

I assume you are alluding tot he Big Bang.  However, your description is completely inaccurate.  Belief, or no belief, I would encourage you to explore the details more closely.

That's where logic could win out.

Love your life believing and be wrong, you know nothing. Love your life not believing and be wrong, that's gonna suck.
So, the belief in religion is just an attempt to hedge your bet?

I assume you are alluding tot he Big Bang.  However, your description is completely inaccurate.  Belief, or no belief, I would encourage you to explore the details more closely.
I understand. It was meant to be a generalization. Obviously my post would be much longer if we were to get into detail, but that was not my intent.

I always say if you're really concerned about your ultimate fate, do good for humanity.

If you do believe in religion, then a lifetime of doing good gets you in.

If you don't believe in religion, then you leave a positive impact and legacy for the world after you go anyway, which people will admire you for long after.

It's a win-win, regardless of the ultimate truth.

I always say if you're really concerned about your ultimate fate, do good for humanity.

If you do believe in religion, then a lifetime of doing good gets you in.

If you don't believe in religion, then you leave a positive impact and legacy for the world after you go anyway, which people will admire you for long after.

It's a win-win, regardless of the ultimate truth.
In the end we are all running from the same thing.  We are all suffering as all humans do.  Some overeat, some abuse alcohol, some have anger issues, some turn to religion, some turn to drugs...it's all running.  

Do good because we are all the same.  Cut from the same cloth, suffer the same fate.  Might as well make our times here as enjoyable as we can.  Be kind

In the end we are all running from the same thing.  We are all suffering as all humans do.  Some overeat, some abuse alcohol, some have anger issues, some turn to religion, some turn to drugs...it's all running.  

Do good because we are all the same.  Cut from the same cloth, suffer the same fate.  Might as well make our times here as enjoyable as we can.  Be kind
Amen

fwiw... this just popped up on my facesbook. I don't have the backstory, but a "bishop" discussing the man-made construct of heaven and hell.

eta: discussing all religions- "all of those are human systems which human beings have created to try to help us walk into the mystery of god"

Last edited by a moderator:
We are living in the afterlife, we just cannot remember our life/lives before this one.  Another afterlife awaits, once the current simulation runs it's course.  We just won't remember if the "reset" button was hit or if I was sent to another node.  

I really have no ####### clue to be honest though.  

Glad to see you have it all figured out. 

If there's one constant in human history it's that many things we "know" are consistently proven wrong. 

Nobody is going to prove the existence of God, today. But neither can you prove the nonexistence. You can say proof of a negative is harder than proof of a positive but it doesn't change the fact that we really do not know, really, either way. 

Personally, I believe there's something else out there, I want it to be God. But frankly I'd bet all religions are wrong in something. Except agnostics. 
Flying.  Spaghetti.  Monster. 

My thing was/is nothing.  I can't grasp, then when I die, just black, nothing mattered.
Does it make you wonder if you would have been better off never existing?

I can't do anything about it but if it really is lights out done, that is depressing.

I try not to think about it at all since it seems I can't control it. (Easier to say than do)

Last edited by a moderator:
For those who don't believe in an afterlife, how does that influence your approach to life and death, if at all?
Death terrifies me. The idea of no longer being aware, no longer being able to think, respond, process... it fills me with dread sometimes. As a result, knowing that my time is limited, I try to make each day enjoyable. I'm generally a happy guy. I try to enjoy the time I spend with my daughter as much as possible. I know that someday she'll be an adult and living her own life, so it feels like the present is just a bunch of sand falling through my fingers, quicker and quicker as I spiral towards the end.

Ugh, I don't want to think about death anymore. Burrito time.

For those who don't believe in an afterlife, how does that influence your approach to life and death, if at all?
Not a farthing. Life's all the reward & punishment i require.

Earning heaven & hell is the most cutting of the old saws but, with born-agains having insurance against hell no matter what they do, i see its eminence fading rapidly.

And there's the key to society's next era. If these 60some prodigal years have taught me anything, it's that it all is indeed moral. One's decisions must have weight for them to matter and a good life can not be lived if it doesn't matter. Some of the old rules are deadbang on, some of them are functions of power & control. This wikkid ol' thing say it's time we started sifting the Judeo-Christo-Mohammedan ashes to bring justice back to care and care to justice without pearly gates or unforgiven fire as the motivation.

Users who are viewing this thread