What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ahmad Bradshaw and David Wilson (1 Viewer)

amicsta

Footballguy
I was watching the Giants preseson game last night, and I thought that Bradshaw looked really slow. I know it's only week 1 of preseason, but I just didnt see consistent burst from him. Wilson, however, looked really quick and explosive. It was impossible not to notice him on the field. Right now, it looks like the Giants are making Wilson earn his way up the depth chart, but given the reports I've been reading and what I saw, that may happen sooner than we think. Between the threat of Wilson and Bradshaw having feet like Bill Walton, I don't think he'll be on any of my trams at his current adp. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I was watching the Giants preseson game last night, and I thought that Bradshaw looked really slow. I know it's only week 1 of preseason, but I just didnt see consistent burst from him. Wilson, however, looked really quick and explosive. It was impossible not to notice him on the field. Right now, it looks like the Giants are making Wilson earn his way up the depth chart, but given the reports I've been reading and what I saw, that may happen sooner than we think. Between the threat of Wilson and Bradshaw having feet like Bill Walton, I don't think he'll be on any of my trams at his current adp. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Grab Wilson and don't look back. Bradshaw is good but his injury bug is always hungry.

i like wilson a lot in dynasty. in redrafts at least this year its hard to lean towards bradshaw though for the simple reason of blitz pick ups and familiarity with offense and coughlins history of not using rookies much. i wouldn't go near bradhhaw until like round 6-7 if i could get wilson a little later on.

Grab Wilson and don't look back. Bradshaw is good but his injury bug is always hungry.
I agree with your premise, my worry tho would be that Wilson takes enough away to hurt Bradshaw and not enough to be a fantasy starter himself. Wilson's going around the same time as Stewart, Spiller, K. Smith, Gerhardt, and Mark Ingram. Where does Wilson rank among them?

I agree with your premise, my worry tho would be that Wilson takes enough away to hurt Bradshaw and not enough to be a fantasy starter himself. Wilson's going around the same time as Stewart, Spiller, K. Smith, Gerhardt, and Mark Ingram. Where does Wilson rank among them?
I think Wilson is the back to own NEXT year but he'll impress enough this year to render them both useless.

I'm a die hard Giant fan and I would take every one of those backs before Wilson. Someone mentioned it earlier, if he can't block, his time will be limited. This offense is about Eli and protecting him. Bradshaw is one of the toughest guys on the team an a great blocker. If he's healthy, Coughlin is going to keep him in and I see alot of Ware being used until Wilson learns blitz pickups.

I'm a die hard Giant fan and I would take every one of those backs before Wilson. Someone mentioned it earlier, if he can't block, his time will be limited. This offense is about Eli and protecting him. Bradshaw is one of the toughest guys on the team an a great blocker. If he's healthy, Coughlin is going to keep him in and I see alot of Ware being used until Wilson learns blitz pickups.
I agree about it being Bradshaws team. He's taking over as a leader, he's practicing everyday for the first time in years. All reports are that his foot issues are not a concern. We'll see what happens when we get further into the season but we should be very high on Bradshaw as a FF community this year as he finally doesn't have Jacobs to contend with. As a Giants fan Im hoping Wilson can be an impact player and Im excited based on what I hear. But it's not fair to compare him to Bradshaw. Bradshaw was never a speedy, electric type RB. He's tough, shifty, can hit the hole and get to the secondary without looking like anything special. The coaches and players trust him and he's always been the best short yardage, goal line back on the team even with Jacobs. Wilson's speed is going to make many RBs look slow but even if Wilson earns the trust with the coaches and can get significant playing time Bradshaws value should still be similar to what is has been as he has always been in a RBBC, but the difference is he will be the main goal line back this year. The only thing we should be concerned with is his foot but again, all reports are that its not an issue and he's looking healthier than he has in a long time.

With all of the Wilson hype, Bradshaw is slipping into bargain territory. I got him in the 5th round in my last draft. I wasn't able to get Wilson like I wanted to, but Bradshaw makes a solid RB2 or excellent flex player. I may look to trade for Wilson or trade Bradshaw to the Wilson owner at the right price.

Last edited by a moderator:
NYG have a history of having 2 RB's who are fantasy significant. Different roles this year but I see both being good FF players for where you get them.

Not sure when the switch to Wilson as their feature back will happen, but this kid is going to be at least a 2nd round pick next year (at the very worst).

Wilson is dynasty gold. I definitely have him rated higher than Doug Martin (long-term) & I also believe he'll be the best FF RB from this class when all is said & done.

I also got Bradshaw late (9th round) hes got value there. I did intend to take Wilson in the 11th but he went a few picks before me. I think both have RB2 , flex value with Wilson having incredible long term value.

I also got Bradshaw late (9th round) hes got value there. I did intend to take Wilson in the 11th but he went a few picks before me. I think both have RB2 , flex value with Wilson having incredible long term value.
Bradshaw in the 9th round.LOL.

I have had a lot of success from drafting Giant RBs my favorite still being Otis Anderson.

As has been mentioned already Bradshaw is a very good slasher, not the fastest RB in the league by any means but he is a lot more powerful than one might think. I have seen Bradshaw truck defensive linemen. He is just very good at getting positive yardage running the ball due to his combination of abilities and willpower.

I like David Wilson a lot as well and I am sure he will be the Giants feature RB eventually. But Bradshaw still has game and the Giants like being able to tandem their backs.

If Wilson does get a good amount of carries I think that is more likely to come from Eli's passing attempts than from Bradshaw's reps. Which with some transition as WR happening I could see the Giants running the ball a bit more if Wilson can do better than Brandon Jacobs which does not seem like that difficult a task. That being said I would not be surprised to see the Giants draft another power RB next season or after that as well. The Giants are pretty good with their picks so I think that is as good a sign as any for Wilson long term.

For the most part I agree with petenice15. How much Wilson plays will largely depend on how quickly he adapts to pass protection assignments. They are not going to hang Eli out to dry if the rookie is not ready.

Pass blocking pass blocking pass blocking.

Bradshaw was PERFECT in pass blocking assignments last year. Not a single sack, hit, or even a hurry given up. He's probably the best pass protecting RB in the game right now.

With the team's super bowl hopes contingent on a healthy Eli Manning, I don't see Bradshaw coming off the field very much this year--even if Wilson looks like the better pure runner. From what I saw, Wilson only had ONE pass blocking assignment in preseason and he whiffed. BADLY.

Barring a significant injury to Bradshaw, I think Wilson will be a frustrating back to own. I agree that Wilson looks dynamic, but it seems like the perfect recipe for owners to gripe all season long about how much higher his YPC is than Bradshaw's. Half a yard per carry shouldn't be that big of a deal to a coach if leaving that guy in means you can call both pass and run plays with confidence.

Bradshaw was PERFECT in pass blocking assignments last year. Not a single sack, hit, or even a hurry given up. He's probably the best pass protecting RB in the game right now.

With the team's super bowl hopes contingent on a healthy Eli Manning, I don't see Bradshaw coming off the field very much this year--even if Wilson looks like the better pure runner. From what I saw, Wilson only had ONE pass blocking assignment in preseason and he whiffed. BADLY.

Barring a significant injury to Bradshaw, I think Wilson will be a frustrating back to own. I agree that Wilson looks dynamic, but it seems like the perfect recipe for owners to gripe all season long about how much higher his YPC is than Bradshaw's. Half a yard per carry shouldn't be that big of a deal to a coach if leaving that guy in means you can call both pass and run plays with confidence.
Wilson had one in the Bears game and successfully chopped the LB out of the play. The safety blitzed too and broke up the play. But can't expect Wilson to handle two guys. 1:55 Wilson chops the LBBradshaw has shown he has trouble staying healthy with the shared workload he's gotten in the past. So he won't be on the field as much as you claim. The Giants don't plan on riding Bradshaw heavily and hope he holds up. The goal is to share the workload so the he WILL hold up the entire season.

It will be a sharing of the load like when Jacobs was on the team.

Is Bradshaw the clear goal line rb? If he is he has very solid value as a quality #2 bordeline #1 rb.
It's not certain that Bradshaw is the goalline back. He's been better than Jacobs but the team hasn't been good on short yardage for a while. I expect Bradshaw, A. Brown, Wilson and Hynoski will all get shots at it. The one that stands out will be the short yardage guy.

Wilson had one in the Bears game and successfully chopped the LB out of the play. The safety blitzed too and broke up the play. But can't expect Wilson to handle two guys. 1:55 Wilson chops the LBBradshaw has shown he has trouble staying healthy with the shared workload he's gotten in the past. So he won't be on the field as much as you claim. The Giants don't plan on riding Bradshaw heavily and hope he holds up. The goal is to share the workload so the he WILL hold up the entire season.

That play at 1:55 is getting way more hype than it should. That's an easy play, an easy block. I would expect even an average pass-blocker to make that play 99 times out of 100.

Pass blocking pass blocking pass blocking.Bradshaw was PERFECT in pass blocking assignments last year. Not a single sack, hit, or even a hurry given up. He's probably the best pass protecting RB in the game right now. With the team's super bowl hopes contingent on a healthy Eli Manning, I don't see Bradshaw coming off the field very much this year--even if Wilson looks like the better pure runner. From what I saw, Wilson only had ONE pass blocking assignment in preseason and he whiffed. BADLY. Barring a significant injury to Bradshaw, I think Wilson will be a frustrating back to own. I agree that Wilson looks dynamic, but it seems like the perfect recipe for owners to gripe all season long about how much higher his YPC is than Bradshaw's. Half a yard per carry shouldn't be that big of a deal to a coach if leaving that guy in means you can call both pass and run plays with confidence.
Well said. I find Bradshaw going cheaply, when he will likely be a rock solid RB2 in PPR even if he only plays sometimes on early downs but all passing downs. I've been getting him for less than 8-10% of cap in auctions, and early 4th(!) in re-drafts, which seems cheap to me for that good of production. He plays through injuries a lot, too.

:no: i guess being half right is better than being 100% wrong. They will obviously share the workload as virtually no NFL team relies solely on 1 RB anymore. But it will be nothing like when Jacobs was there

Drafted Bradshaw with confidence and will start him til the wheels fall off (which is a distinct possibility). Read somewhere that the G-men have one of the easiest schedules vs the run for the first 6 weeks of the season. If you start to get queasy on Bradshaw play him til week 7 and then trade him for max value.

Committee pursuant to Giants tradition in recent years with Bradshaw being the lead member. Overall ranking depends on health.

The Giants didn't draft Wilson to pass protect. I am sure he can figure it out, though.

These are professional athletes.

:no: i guess being half right is better than being 100% wrong. They will obviously share the workload as virtually no NFL team relies solely on 1 RB anymore. But it will be nothing like when Jacobs was there
:confused: If you think Bradshaw is going to get a percentage of the Giants touches comparable to Peterson, Foster, Rice, McCoy, MJD, Murray, McFadden, Jackson and Lynch you're going to be disappointed. Bradshaw's workload isn't going to increase. He may get better stats if he's healthy all season, but he won't be getting a greater % of the workload.

:confused: If you think Bradshaw is going to a percentage of the Giants touches comparable to Peterson, Foster, Rice, McCoy, MJD, Murray, McFadden, Jackson and Lynch you're going to be disappointed.
I agree. But I beleive Bradshaw's production is tied much more to his health than it is to how many carries Wilson gets because Bradshaw's game is still good enough to be lower end RB1, upper end RB2. He has shown this in the past when he shared carries. In fact, I believe he would benefit from Wilson taking away carries if this would in theory help him stay healthy.

I agree. But I beleive Bradshaw's production is tied much more to his health than it is to how many carries Wilson gets because Bradshaw's game is still good enough to be lower end RB1, upper end RB2. He has shown this in the past when he shared carries. In fact, I believe he would benefit from Wilson taking away carries if this would in theory help him stay healthy.
:goodposting: This is it. I'm not predicting a decrease or an increase in Bradshaw's share of the workload. Jacobs and Ware's share will be taken by Wilson and Brown. That should equate to better numbers due to better health and a more effective running game. Bradshaw is a solid #2 RB and Wilson a flex.

The Giants didn't draft Wilson to pass protect. I am sure he can figure it out, though.These are professional athletes.
Using your logic wouldn't every pro athlete be a good pass protector then?
1st Rounders being paid millions and the potential of millions, yes. The kid wants to be good.The last back I remember this being an issue with was Beanie Wells.I mean, every year we see Rookie RBs start Week 1 and beyond. I am certain Wilson will figure it out sooner than later.He has already shown promise in pre-season.Sorry for the vagueness of my first post.

Bradshaw in the 9th round.LOL.
HAHAWho are you drafting with?! :wall:
Trust me I know how silly it sounds. And were here in NJ and 5 Giants fans at the Draft . His name came up 5th round and someone said nah hes injured and I think it stuck. Also alot of talk here about Wilson and Bradshaws injury . I was thrilled. I loaded up on WR's and was thinking my #2 would be someone like Beanie Wells etc. I tried to grab Wilson with the next pick but was taken right before me. Bradshaw and Mathews were the surprise guys in my draft. Matthews dropping to 7th round . ( and MJD dropping to 4th).

He also had a severe case of fumbleitis in college and we all know how coach hates that.

okay. i watched it again. on first viewing, i thought he whiffed on the safety. now that i see he hit the linebacker, i take back my "whiffed badly" comment. but i still think wilson has a long way to go prove to coughlin he can keep manning's uniform just as clean as bradshaw can. and as long as the season hinges on manning's health (and not their run game), safe money is on bradshaw to see a healthy majority of snaps and touches.

I drafted Wilson in a dynasty league and love his talent. But this show is all about Eli. If Wilson can't prove that he can protect him as a rookie, Bradshaw and his bum feet will stay on the field on as many downs as are physically possible. That said, Shady McCoy couldn't pass block a lick during his first season in Philly but became a top 10/ top 3 RB during his 2nd and 3rd seasons due to his talent and improvement.

'Eminence said:
The Giants didn't draft Wilson to pass protect. I am sure he can figure it out, though.These are professional athletes.
agreed Wilson will figure it out in a year or two, but not 2012, Bradshaw is da man

'strong said:
'netnalp said:
'strong said:

okay. i watched it again. on first viewing, i thought he whiffed on the safety. now that i see he hit the linebacker, i take back my "whiffed badly" comment. but i still think wilson has a long way to go prove to coughlin he can keep manning's uniform just as clean as bradshaw can. and as long as the season hinges on manning's health (and not their run game), safe money is on bradshaw to see a healthy majority of snaps and touches.
Being that Bradshaw was the #1 rated pass blocker amongst RBs last year, that eliminates everyone. Wilson doesn't have to be as good as Bradshaw, he just needs to be good enough for Coughlin to put him in.Bradshaw hasn't shown he can stay healthy with his current workload, no way he gets a "healthy majority of snaps and touches." Bradshaw will see more than 50%, so yes he'll get the majority. But he's not going to get 70% or more.

Idk where I sit in terms of the majority/minority.

Im pretty confident Bradshaw gets at least 70% and almost all of the goal line and short yardage.

'Eminence said:
agreed Wilson will figure it out in a year or two, but not 2012, Bradshaw is da man
:goodposting: Time and time again we see a rookie drafted and people reach for him thinking he's the next stud...Pro Tip: Avoid rookie RBs.

Users who are viewing this thread