What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ahmad Bradshaw Out Indefinitely (2 Viewers)

RB Ahmad Bradshaw plans to provide spark for Giants offense down the stretch

By Associated Press, Published: December 8

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — When Ahmad Bradshaw was a rookie with the New York Giants in 2007, his nickname was ‘Fire.’ He was the guy who came off the bench and provided a spark for the offense.

Four years later, Bradshaw is the starting running back. His role though is the same, and it was never more evident than when he returned to the lineup against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday.

Bradshaw didn’t have big statistics in his first game since breaking a bone in his right foot against Miami Oct. 30. He carried 11 times for 38 yards and caught five passes for 5 more.

The way Bradshaw played, though, was the key. He carried three defenders for a 7-yard gain on first down and ran for 5 more on second. The two runs brought the Packers defensive backfield closer to the line of scrimmage on third down, and Eli Manning followed with a 67-yard scoring pass to tight end Travis Beckham.

It’s the kind of performance that the Giants (6-6) are going to need on Sunday night when they face the Cowboys (7-5) in Dallas in a game for first place in the NFC East.

“He definitely got us going,” Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said Thursday. “It’s not a big deal, but the energy that he took a 3-yard gain and turned it into four more yards it was like: ‘We’re coming to play. We’re going to be physical. You’re going to have to play your best to beat us because we are not backing down.’”

The Packers (12-0) did answer that challenge in a 38-35 victory, but the Giants also showed heart in rebounding from a lopsided loss to the Saints the previous Monday and giving Green Bay its toughest game of the season.

What made Bradshaw’s performance so inspiring is that every teammate knows he is playing in pain. The bone in his right foot is not healed and it only allows the 25-year-old to practice once a week — on Friday.

That’s the way it will be again this week.

“Not being with my teammates and not playing the games for the last four weeks, just to be out there, I just wanted to be at everything,” Bradshaw said. “It was almost like I wanted to put everyone on my back and play for everyone. As much as I wanted to play, as pumped as I was before, I just think I had to come out and just give us the energy, the enthusiasm to have a good game.”

The enthusiasm that Bradshaw showed picked up his teammates in more ways than one.

It earned him the nickname “Bulldog” from fellow running back Brandon Jacobs and also seemed to wake up Jacobs, who had been getting the majority of carries with Bradshaw sidelined. For the first time in weeks, the 260-pound Jacobs ran like a bull. He gained 59 yards on eight carries and there were at least two plays were he was a half-step away from breaking a long run.

“I thought the line got in there and moved guys and I thought we ran well as backs,” said Jacobs, who intends to play Sunday despite missing two practices with a hamstring injury. “I thought having Ahmad back was a big help to our offense and Danny (D.J. Ware) doing the things he did, doing his role.

“If we can put it together like that from here on out, we’ll be fine.”

Defensive captain Justin Tuck watched Jacobs on Sunday and was really impressed.

“That guy, when he wants to run the ball, and he is using that 260-pound frame, it can be an intimidating force,” Tuck said. “I saw a lot of times guys seeing him in the hole and going straight for his ankles. It starts to wear on you as a defensive player when you have a guy that big coming at you full steam. I always tell him in the first quarter they are going to try to face you straight up. Second quarter they may slide and ask for a teammate to help them. Third quarter they will be jumping out of your way.

“He understands how much of a dominating back he can be.”

The running game was been baffling for the Giants. One of the best in the league two years ago, it is ranked last this season, averaging 83.8 yards. However against the Packers, it had 100 yards on 20 carries, which is just what an offense wants — 5 yards a pop.

NOTES: DE Osi Umenyiora (ankle), C David Baas (severe headaches) and LB Mark Herzlich (ankle) did not practice and probably won’t play this weekend. ... S Kenny Phillips (sprained left knee) is feeling better but is day to day. ... There seems to be some word coming out of Dallas that Tuck thinks Cowboys Stadium is a dump and that Tuck is jealous he’s not a Cowboy. It was news to him. “Obviously, they have a pretty nice stadium and as far as me wanting to be a Cowboy, I don’t wear Wranglers, I don’t wear cowboy hats or boots or those buckle belts. I don’t wear none of that. I don’t need a star on my helmet to tell me I am pretty good at what I do.”

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© The Washington Post Company

Curious if any body has any insight on what bradshaws usage will be today... I'm still kind of sceptical of throwing him in my lineup and haven't heard any thing in a while... Homers???

Curious if any body has any insight on what bradshaws usage will be today... I'm still kind of sceptical of throwing him in my lineup and haven't heard any thing in a while... Homers???
I feel the same way. I'll be going with Mo Morris if I hear Smith is out.

Sooo... Giants homers (or others in the know):

Any reason to think Bradshaw will return to the lead role after his relatively poor showing last weekend? Or can we expect him to continue to play 2nd fiddle to Jacobs and still get hit further with a dash of Ware?

Sooo... Giants homers (or others in the know):Any reason to think Bradshaw will return to the lead role after his relatively poor showing last weekend? Or can we expect him to continue to play 2nd fiddle to Jacobs and still get hit further with a dash of Ware?
I would like input too. Not a homer, but I would guess even if he doesn't start, he should see an uptick in touches because he was benched the first half of the last game for missing a curfew. That is now done with and the coach said it is over.The big question for me is can he be effective? Was he poor showing a result of just not being out there for the right plays with the right blocking, or is his injury really causing him to run differently?

Sooo... Giants homers (or others in the know):Any reason to think Bradshaw will return to the lead role after his relatively poor showing last weekend? Or can we expect him to continue to play 2nd fiddle to Jacobs and still get hit further with a dash of Ware?
I would like input too. Not a homer, but I would guess even if he doesn't start, he should see an uptick in touches because he was benched the first half of the last game for missing a curfew. That is now done with and the coach said it is over.The big question for me is can he be effective? Was he poor showing a result of just not being out there for the right plays with the right blocking, or is his injury really causing him to run differently?
It didn't look like the injury to me. I would expect him to be involved in the game more than he was last week but you can't take away how well Jacobs ran against the Cowboys. At best, it's a flow blown RBBC situation. Also, when the game was on the line last week and they needed the goaline TD at the very end of the game, it was Jacobs who they wanted in there. Bradshaw to me is a very difficult start because he hasn't shown the ability to be a starter since the injury but he passed my eyeball test in the limited time I saw him. I saw bad blocking and a guy who was still running hard so he has that going for him but he's in the doghouse and Jacobs is running well. I have to decide between him and Mendenhall vs. 49ers, total bummer as I don't like either. I'm leaning towards Bradshaw as long as I hear he practices Friday etc... which he should and I don't hear any more flare ups about him not starting due to whatever.

I think Jacobs plays better when Bradshaw is healthy because he seems motivated to have a better game. Bradshaw was benched for the first half and with Jacobs running so well, the Giants took the opportunity to rest Bradshaw. I expect Bradshaw to get more carries vs. the 'Skins. Their defense is better at getting penetration than the Cowboys and that should make Jacobs less effective.

Any updates here?? Is Bradshaw going to play and be a big part of the O today or am I going to waste a starting RB spot in a playoff game?? :scared:

Ahmad Bradshaw - RB - Giants

Ahmad Bradshaw plans to skip Giants OTAs after recently receiving a "Mini IGNITE" shot in his troublesome right foot

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm starting to think this guy is going to be trouble. He has had some serious foot issues, and I'm very worried about his ability to be a productive player long term, even medium term.

Reports are that he's going to rest 3 full months before he begins to even work out. Missing just OTA's may be conservative. There's no doubt that the G-Men will need tp draft a RB now.

In every mock I've done I put them as taking Doug Martin in the first. There is no way they run the risk of just rolling with Ware/Scott.

He got the injection in February which means he is already over a month into his recovery. The Giants may go RB sometime in the draft. Panic if you want. I like Scott.

In every mock I've done I put them as taking Doug Martin in the first. There is no way they run the risk of just rolling with Ware/Scott.
They know his health better than we do. What they do in the draft will tell us alot. If they don't draft a back until the third or later, that, along with letting Jacobs go, would tell me that they are ready to run with Bradshaw. If they take a back in the first or second, then I will be worried. But at this point we are just speculating.

Giants have a history of taking best player available in the early rounds. I don't think the direction they go in the draft can be used as a reliable indicator for their faith in Bradshaw or the running game as a whole.

Ahmad Bradshaw (foot) planning to skip OTAs - Apr 2 - 11:30 AM

Ahmad Bradshaw will miss Giants OTAs after receiving an injection of bone marrow from his hip in his troublesome right foot.

Bradshaw received the shot, which has twice been billed as other things, in late February. He "hopes" to return to football activities before the end of June. The shot was designed to accelerate healing and stimulate growth. As of yet, there's been nothing to suggest Bradshaw won't be ready for camp, but surgery can't be ruled out if he doesn't progress as hoped. With only Da'Rel Scott, Danny Ware and the suspended Andre Brown on the roster at running back behind Bradshaw, finding another runner should be a priority for the G-Men.

'Banemorth said:
While I'm not fully up to speed on Martin, as a Giants fan I just don't see them using a first for RB - or any offensive skill player. For one, their offense has been a strong suit, with passing leading the way. As the Giants and the league pass rumored it makes it more spurious to assume a first round RB as pass blocking may be the most important aspect of the game on many plays - something Bradshaw and Ware do well IMO. Plus, RB is a position where you often find value later in the draft as the Giants have demonstrated over the years. I'd think the solution is a 3rd or 4th rounder and maybe someone from FA or a trade (J Stew does make a little more sense now as his rental status may keep the price in check, though I still don't see it happening).

'Banemorth said:
While I'm not fully up to speed on Martin, as a Giants fan I just don't see them using a first for RB - or any offensive skill player. For one, their offense has been a strong suit, with passing leading the way. As the Giants and the league pass rumored it makes it more spurious to assume a first round RB as pass blocking may be the most important aspect of the game on many plays - something Bradshaw and Ware do well IMO. Plus, RB is a position where you often find value later in the draft as the Giants have demonstrated over the years. I'd think the solution is a 3rd or 4th rounder and maybe someone from FA or a trade (J Stew does make a little more sense now as his rental status may keep the price in check, though I still don't see it happening).
This makes a lot of sense and I suspect the talk about them taking Martin is more fantasy players trying to project where he will land and speculating. Is Ron Dayne the last Giant's RB to be picked in the first round? It doesn't seem like something the G Men typically do.

'Banemorth said:
This makes a lot of sense and I suspect the talk about them taking Martin is more fantasy players trying to project where he will land and speculating. Is Ron Dayne the last Giant's RB to be picked in the first round? It doesn't seem like something the G Men typically do.
Highly unlikely the Giants draft a RB early. They will go BPA. I wouldn't rule out signing a guy like Ryan Grant for a year though.

FYI per this Newsday article he is feeling good a month after the procedure and hopes to have a larger role on offense with the departure of Jacobs. When asked about who he'd like to see fill Jacobs role he replied "hopefully, nobody."

That said the Giants wouldn't likely want to increase his touches considering his history but I don't see any way they go RB early.

Article : http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/bradshaw-hoping-for-larger-role-1.3639056

Users who are viewing this thread