What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Al Michaels out of the playoff broadcast schedule (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
He’s seemed to be in a bit of mental decline this year, getting player’s numbers wrong, blanking on names mid-sentence, calling play results incorrectly, and a host of other gaffs, so I’m not shocked by this development.

Many of us have pointed these mistakes out during the game-topics.

It’s unfortunate that it took Michaels by surprise. I’d think they could have handled it a little better, but then again, networks aren’t exactly known for their nuance in decisions like this.

I wonder if he’ll be back in the booth at all next year.

I love old familiar voices, I was ok with the gaffes, hate to see this.
Same

I still miss Pat Summeralls drunken mistakes
I had NFL Network on in the background a few days ago when they aired a Football Life with Carson Palmer. Was not paying it any attention until they cut to a USC highlight which Keith Jackson was broadcasting and when I heard him I realized I forgot how much I missed him in the booth.

Honestly, I don't really care a ton about commentators making mistakes, I personally feel that I know more than the commentators do, or at least more than they are allowed to say so as not to ostracize a casual fan.

So for me, its more about personality than content. In that regard, Michaels, Collinsworth, Romo, the Mannings, those are my favorites to listen to.

Honestly, I don't really care a ton about commentators making mistakes, I personally feel that I know more than the commentators do, or at least more than they are allowed to say so as not to ostracize a casual fan.

So for me, its more about personality than content. In that regard, Michaels, Collinsworth, Romo, the Mannings, those are my favorites to listen to.
Depends on the mistakes.

Frequently this year Michaels has had issues with down & distance, calling 1st downs stopped short, or calling stopped short 1st downs.

I don’t care that much that he draws a blank on a player name or gets the player wrong (though for FF this is sometimes stressful) but the significant game-flow errors cause some cognitive dissonance because my eyes see one thing and Michaels is saying something entirely different.

To me these are inexcusable for a professional broadcaster. When they get those building block plays wrong, it’s time to hang em up.

Michaels has slipped a ton but I don’t think the Amazon broadcast itself does him any favors. In fact I think it at least exacerbated the low energy vibe and is probably most responsible for it. There’s something off about the crowd noise mix. Or something to do with the streaming aspect. Idk but it seems low energy when Herbstreit is talking, too.

The Chargers/Jags game was dreadful last year. This years broadcasts seem better but still off. Somewhere along the line, Michaels started calling plays in a been there, seen that, sing-song type voice. That annoys me. All the gaffs annoy me. But fix the broadcast itself and we’d notice it a lot less.

Never understood the appreciation for Michaels. But I don't really care for any announcers. It's Peyton and Eli, or nothing for me. And often it's nothing (mute).
I like Greg Olsen a lot. I think he’s one of the best in the business.

Some of the old timers just need to hang it up & make way for young talent.

Sometimes I like former players on the broadcast. Sometimes it’s overkill. The TGonz led panel is a bit hard to take sometimes.

Michaels has been in decline, and this year has been rough (Herbstreet being opposite him is no help, that guy is a major stiff). Time to retire him to work in some fresh blood IMO. I'm always partial to former players since they can see things we normies might miss.

One of my favorite Michaels bits of trivia is how he was traded for Oswald the Rabbit: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/12750497/how-espn-traded-al-michaels-oswald-rabbit

He's been sounding like he's got his golf shoes on and ready to head to a course immediately following the game....checked out a while ago

I’ll always have a soft spot for Al. Back in the day, before gambling consumed every aspect of the NFL, talking about “odds” and “lines” was actually frowned upon by the league suits

But you could always count on Al to surreptitiously reference plays that impacted sports betting. “A whole lot of viewers are very interested in this seemingly meaningless field goal” meant hitting the overs or a back door cover

I’ll always miss those innocent times of illegal gambling on football

yeah, the man is 79 years old. Not surprising he just doesn't have it anymore. My dad is 74 now and I'm seeing him start to slip a little. Just a lot more "old man moments" than even 2 or 3 years ago. Little stuff, not dementia (at least I hope not) but its noticeable.

Sad stuff, but that's life.

I’ll always have a soft spot for Al. Back in the day, before gambling consumed every aspect of the NFL, talking about “odds” and “lines” was actually frowned upon by the league suits

But you could always count on Al to surreptitiously reference plays that impacted sports betting. “A whole lot of viewers are very interested in this seemingly meaningless field goal” meant hitting the overs or a back door cover

Yeah - sadly, now he does it every single game, sometimes multiple times a game to the point that it’s no longer a wink and a nod, but more like a schtick - and an obvious one.

No hate on Al at all. Love the dude. But it’s time.

Yeah - sadly, now he does it every single game, sometimes multiple times a game to the point that it’s no longer a wink and a nod, but more like a schtick - and an obvious one.

No hate on Al at all. Love the dude. But it’s time.
Kind of like Grandpa still “finding a quarter in your ear” when you’re in your late teens

Never understood the appreciation for Michaels. But I don't really care for any announcers. It's Peyton and Eli, or nothing for me. And often it's nothing (mute).
I like Greg Olsen a lot. I think he’s one of the best in the business.

Sometimes I like former players on the broadcast. Sometimes it’s overkill. The TGonz led panel is a bit hard to take sometimes.
Low bar, I guess. I find Olsen almost as annoying as Collinsworth.

I've always been a fan of Al's but it's clear that time has passed him by.

Feels like a "we have to take the car keys away from grandpa" situation. Michaels' status as a legendary broadcaster is set in stone, but he has sounded bored and disinterested most of this season from what I've seen and heard.

ALL. All of the old-timers need to make way.

Having a dusty bag of bones on your football game was lame when we were kids. Now we have 70 inch 5G super duper HD, and it passed "sad' a long time ago, now it borders on the macabre.

ALL. All of the old-timers need to make way.

Having a dusty bag of bones on your football game was lame when we were kids. Now we have 70 inch 5G super duper HD, and it passed "sad' a long time ago, now it borders on the macabre.

You’re not wrong. I see this at work. We’ve got dudes who have their thirty/35 years and are set for life but won’t leave. We can’t move up until they leave. It’s not right.

It would be one thing if they were irreplaceable but they’re out of touch and honestly, they’re just mailing it in.

And some of yall be mad cause Al sounds bored calling games like this tonight, huh?
He was still awful

He made several gaffs. It makes any game worse as a result.

And it makes a game like tonight’s intolerable.
I'm not saying this is affecting Michaels, but it is true that as you get old SOME are not as sharp menially as they once were. So, it's not surprising when some of these guys mess up during a broadcast. Having said that, I think it's hard listening to a young Tony Romo. That voice is grating.

Last edited:
I haven't really noticed anything egregious.

He just seems extremely bored with these horrible Thursday night games.

Just like Joe and Troy last year capping on the horrible matchup each week (no doubt wondering how they went from the top team to covering games the 5th team would usually cover).

I think AL is still very good, and probably still top 3 for the NFL in terms of announcers.

My thing is I never understood why he would want to go to a streaming service to announce on Thursday nights with a college commentator.

Just like Joe and Troy last year capping on the horrible matchup each week (no doubt wondering how they went from the top team to covering games the 5th team would usually cover).

He's washed up with a big ego and looking for the paycheck that goes with it. It's like a boxer fighting well past their prime. They don't get the good matches anymore.

Feels like a "we have to take the car keys away from grandpa" situation. Michaels' status as a legendary broadcaster is set in stone, but he has sounded bored and disinterested most of this season from what I've seen and heard.
I believe much of that is because the Thursday games are boring and not interesting most of the time. Repeatedly having to do these terrible games will suck the life out of you. It might be a chicken and egg thing but the games themselves certainly aren't helping any.

Tony Dungy can suck the life out of anything.

You got that right

Yep. I remember the holding and illegal contact. Same thing they did to the Rams in the SB. They got away with everything on their run. Holding on defense, cheating—you name it, the league let the Patriots get away with it and everybody that follows football shakes their head and says, "WTF was that all about? They destroyed the evidence in their NFL office? Who? What?" I mean, you couldn't script a less transparent thing for the league to do and admit to doing.

And we still watch it in droves.

First time watching a Thursday night game, Al is definitely not on his A game. Making a bunch of small verbal mistakes. It is like when Madden and Summerall were at their end, they are too old for calling games, but I am going to miss hearing Al’s voice.

Users who are viewing this thread