What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Honnold just became the first to free-solo El Capitan in Yosemite. Crazy. (1 Viewer)

What makes him better than the guy who does the same climb but sensibly, with a rope that catches him if he falls?

I could argue the other guy is better, because he can do the same physical feat but also doesn't introduce a fair risk of death unnecessarily, i.e., he's not a dummy.

It's interesting to me that in the story it discusses all the other greats who all basically killed themselves in accidents taking stupid unnecessary risks.  Seems to me it's just a matter of when, not if.  Which in a sense makes this all seem like a pretty morbid thing to be celebrating. 

When you think about it in those terms, it's not really that far off from the girl who cheered on her boyfriend to kill himself. 
Talk about a leap of logic.

Talk about a leap of logic.
YES KEEP BEING AWESOME AND DOING THIS AMAZING AWESOME THING YOU ARE SO GIFTED AT EERRRRR

"Climbers have been speculating for years about a possible free solo of El Capitan, but there have only been two other people who have publicly said they seriously considered it. One was Michael Reardon, a free soloist who drowned in 2007 after being swept from a ledge below a sea cliff in Ireland. The other was Dean Potter, who died in a base jumping accident in Yosemite in 2015.

John Bachar, the greatest free soloist of the 1970s, who died while climbing un-roped in 2009 at age 52, never considered it. When Bachar was in his prime, El Capitan had still never been free climbed."

SHHHH NEVER MIND THAT KEEP GOING YOU'RE THE BEST EVER AND WE ADORE YOU FOR DOING THINGS WE'RE TOO SMART I MEAN NOT BRAVE ENOUGH TO DO!!

YES KEEP BEING AWESOME AND DOING THIS AMAZING AWESOME THING YOU ARE SO GIFTED AT EERRRRR

"Climbers have been speculating for years about a possible free solo of El Capitan, but there have only been two other people who have publicly said they seriously considered it. One was Michael Reardon, a free soloist who drowned in 2007 after being swept from a ledge below a sea cliff in Ireland. The other was Dean Potter, who died in a base jumping accident in Yosemite in 2015.

John Bachar, the greatest free soloist of the 1970s, who died while climbing un-roped in 2009 at age 52, never considered it. When Bachar was in his prime, El Capitan had still never been free climbed."

SHHHH NEVER MIND THAT KEEP GOING YOU'RE THE BEST EVER AND WE ADORE YOU FOR DOING THINGS WE'RE TOO SMART I MEAN NOT BRAVE ENOUGH TO DO!!
Meh, so you're relying on the limited information of one story that talks about people who've perished rather than those who continue to thrive in the sport.  Hint:  Honnold is not the only one who's still alive and thriving in it.  HInt #2:  Here's an example of someone who pushed beyond what the people named above did:  Alex Honnold.

The story also mixes up a bunch of different "risky" endeavors into one.  I loved Dean Potter, but base jumping is an entirely different animal, and he took unreasonable risks in the particular jump when he died.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Husband: "Honey, I'm gonna drive to target and back today without my seatbelt on."

Wife: "Uh, ok. Why again? It takes like a half second to put on a seatbelt."

Husband: "It's cooler. More dangerous."

Wife: "You're an idiot."

Husband: "Honey, I'm gonna drive to target and back today without my seatbelt on."

Wife: "Uh, ok. Why again? It takes like a half second to put on a seatbelt."

Husband: "It's cooler. More dangerous."

Wife: "You're an idiot."
I love you, O, but stupid analogy.  The risks you take from not having a seatbelt on are not in your control or based entirely on your abilities as a driver.

To see someone who is the best at what he does and who is at the same time so nonchalant about it is facinating. As long as he wants to do it I will watch. But I would be fine if he never did a free solo again. I think most people have the same outlook.

To see someone who is the best at what he does is and who is at the same is so nonchalant about it is facinating. As long as he wans to do it I will watch. But I would be fine if he never did a free solo again. I think most people have the same outloook.
Such a great posting.

Meh, so you're relying on the limited information of one story that talks about people who've perished rather than those who continue to thrive in the sport.  Hint:  Honnold is not the only one who's still alive and thriving in it.  HInt #2:  Here's an example of someone who pushed beyond what the people named above did:  Alex Honnold.

The story also mixes up a bunch of different "risky" endeavors into one.  I loved Dean Potter, but base jumping is an entirely different animal, and he took unreasonable risks in it when he died.  
Wait a minute. It's not like I went out and cherry picked one story that suited my cause. IT'S THE VERY STORY WE ARE TALKING ABOUT, LINKED IN POST #1, CELEBRATING WHAT THIS GUY DID, WITH ALL THIS INCREDIBLY MORBID STUFF JAMMED IN THE MIDDLE THAT NOBODY ELSE SEEMS TO WANT TO READ.  I just find it bizarre. And it's got nothing to do with my calibration of risk or skill, or some inability to appreciate greatness.  

That some of these guys are dying doing other incredibly foolish and dangerous things is of no moment. The point is these are people who for some reason are constantly seeking to one-up one another with increasingly risky feats that inevitably--what a coincidence--seem to get them all killed.  Just seems odd to me that folks stand around and clap for that. 

I love you, O, but stupid analogy.  The risks you take from not having a seatbelt on are not in your control or based entirely on your abilities as a driver.
Everything that happens up there is within his control?  He's hanging off the side of a mountain by his fingers. FOR THREE HOURS.  Let's stop pretending he's Jesus. He's a dude. A talented dude, but still a dude. Stuff happens. 

Wait a minute. It's not like I went out and cherry picked one story that suited my cause. IT'S THE VERY STORY WE ARE TALKING ABOUT, LINKED IN POST #1, CELEBRATING WHAT THIS GUY DID, WITH ALL THIS INCREDIBLY MORBID STUFF JAMMED IN THE MIDDLE THAT NOBODY ELSE SEEMS TO WANT TO READ.  I just find it bizarre. And it's got nothing to do with my calibration of risk or skill, or some inability to appreciate greatness.  

That some of these guys are dying doing other incredibly foolish and dangerous things is of no moment. The point is these are people who for some reason are constantly seeking to one-up one another with increasingly risky feats that inevitably--what a coincidence--seem to get them all killed.  Just seems odd to me that folks stand around and clap for that. 
All?

Plus, O has a wife and 17 kids to feed.
So so true. If my life insurance policy doesn't have an exception for hope soloing or whatever the hell this is called, I might give it a whirl. Trouble is I wouldn't make it more than 8 feet off the ground before I slipped and fell and sprained my ankle and then had to spend the rest of the day limping through the woods looking for some damned cell reception. 

SO CLOSE TO GREATNESS 

Apparently based on the article we're discussing. It's like "nobody else ever did this before. One dude was gonna, but he gotten eaten swimming with sharks, another guy fell off a mountain, one died jumping out of a plane without a parachute, and this last guy who was the greatest ever and talked about doing it died trying to do it."

The retirement community for free solo nerds is not bustling. 

Otis said:
What makes him better than the guy who does the same climb but sensibly, with a rope that catches him if he falls?

I could argue the other guy is better, because he can do the same physical feat but also doesn't introduce a fair risk of death unnecessarily, i.e., he's not a dummy.

It's interesting to me that in the story it discusses all the other greats who all basically killed themselves in accidents taking stupid unnecessary risks.  Seems to me it's just a matter of when, not if.  Which in a sense makes this all seem like a pretty morbid thing to be celebrating. 

When you think about it in those terms, it's not really that far off from the girl who cheered on her boyfriend to kill himself. 
What made Jordans dunk from the free throw line better than Dr Js

Style

Otis said:
So so true. If my life insurance policy doesn't have an exception for hope soloing or whatever the hell this is called, I might give it a whirl. Trouble is I wouldn't make it more than 8 feet off the ground before I slipped and fell and sprained my ankle and then had to spend the rest of the day limping through the woods looking for some damned cell reception. 

SO CLOSE TO GREATNESS 
Salty otis is a top 5 otis. 

Christo said:
To see someone who is the best at what he does and who is at the same time so nonchalant about it is facinating. As long as he wants to do it I will watch. But I would be fine if he never did a free solo again. I think most people have the same outlook.
One of my best friends is like this...it's just a totally different mentality than 99.999% of the population and while I'm sure there's a little bit of ego in being the best or the first, I seriously doubt that's even his foremost thought. Almost all of what my friend does is related to just doing and experiencing the moment/things.  My friend loves to pack a day's worth of clothes, his passport, and an airline ticket/motorcycle/etc. and just goes for months (at one point in his 20s before Facebook he was gone for a year and road a motorcycle from Anchorage to the tip of South America).  Just gone.  Experiencing life.  You'd ask why and he'd just smile like it was his own special secret and say "Why not".  

Otis said:

you probably already knew this, but you're essentially saying "ban motorcycles, they're stupid"

anyone who rides a motorcycle is the same as talking someone into killing themselves.

Hardtop scouts are far more safe than convertible scouts.  In fact, driving a convertible scout is the same as talking someone into killing themselves, when you boil it down.  The retirement homes of tricked out scout convertible drivers aren't really bustling after all.

you're killing me smalls.

There are like 5 ways your analogy is wrong.  I haven't the time to address them all.
Prove it.

1. Motorcycles are far more dangerous than cars.   

2. Cars are climbing with ropes

3. Motorcycles are climbing without ropes.

4. A+B=3

5. Touchdown.

I kind of get what everyone is saying.  What he is doing is an incredible combination of physical and mental strength.  The risks he takes - seem abnormal for people like me.  But, he minimizes the risks of every climb through preparation and training, and through his own skill.  Which is not to say there are no risks - just the risks are far lower for him, than for just about anyone else alive.

Having said that - even minimal risks here carry a high penalty - death. So, just because you can - does not mean you should.

If you are going to use analogies - its like a high wire act not using a safety net.   Its amazing that he can do it - its also foolhardy that he does so without a safety net.  The slightest mistake, or miscalculation, or nature shifting would be deadly - and to what end?

I think Honnold is at peace with that - and keeps his impact minimal so that his death would be least disruptive - but I think he sells himself short in terms of what he can offer to society as a whole, and to specific individuals, by staying alive - even if it is simply passing on his climbing techniques and skills.

So they said he practiced this?  I know zero about climbing.  Is this as simple as just doing the climb with rope on and trying not to fall?  Or is he just free climbing at the local kids park climbing wall on the swingset?

It would be interesting to get the park rangers' perspectives regarding the feud with the climbers.
In my experience, most park rangers know very little about the wilderness, and they will react with grave concern should you reveal any plans that deviate from the holy trinity of:

1. Stay on the trail.

2. Camp in designated campgrounds.

3. For Gawds sake don't have a campfire.

culdeus said:
So they said he practiced this?  I know zero about climbing.  Is this as simple as just doing the climb with rope on and trying not to fall?  Or is he just free climbing at the local kids park climbing wall on the swingset?
I'm no expert either but he basically climbed up a vertical wall with a long stretches that have a few cracks or small ledges in it thousands of feet in the air. He practiced first with ropes.

It makes pretty much every other sporting achievement look like playing in a sandbox :lol:

I'm no expert either but he basically climbed up a vertical wall with a long stretches that have a few cracks or small ledges in it thousands of feet in the air. He practiced first with ropes.

It makes pretty much every other sporting achievement look like playing in a sandbox :lol:
So it was the same mountain or whatever just he had ropes and did it a bunch till he was like "i got this"?

So it was the same mountain or whatever just he had ropes and did it a bunch till he was like "i got this"?
Not really a mountain more of a vertical wall that extends for thousands of feet. I believe he practices the same route many times with rope so he was familiar and felt "comfortable" that he wouldn't die.

If you haven't seen it and are interested youtube this kid's name and watch some of the videos. It is beyond remarkable. 

http://elcapreport.com/content/elcap-report-6317-special-edition-honnold-free-solo-elcap

ElCap Report 6/3/17 SPECIAL EDITION HONNOLD FREE SOLO OF ELCAP

Submitted by Tom Evans on Sun, 06/04/2017 - 16:51 

ElCap Report 6.3.17 SPECIAL EDITION HONNOLD SOLOS ELCAP

By Tom Evans

Yo... It turns out I was given permission to do the report, when I shouldn't have been, and proceeded.  That caused a big problem for the production team which is the last thing I wanted to do.  So I am taking down this report.  Obviuosly I am very sorry for having to do this but have no choice.  Maybe, after the movie comes out, I will again be able to post this report on my blog again.  Thanks to the over 300,000 readers who have read and enjoyed this particular Report and are stoked to see the movie because of having seen the Report.  Best wishes to my good friend Alex Honnold and I continue to wish him, all the crew and the movie the best of success. Thie whole incident was an honest mistake made by people with the best of intentions. 

Capt. Tom... :(

"Reasonable people consider projects like these idiotic to the point of outrage. That is perfectly defensible. Honnold doesn’t have children, but he does have a mother who loves him very much. If you count yourself among those inclined to negative judgment, and even if you don’t, I hope you’ll indulge a mental exercise for fun. Allow your mind to relax into the possibility that Honnold’s climb was not reckless at all — that he really was born with unique neural architecture and physical gifts, and that his years of dedication really did develop those gifts to the point that he could not only make every move on El Capitan without rest, he could do so with a tolerably minuscule chance of falling. Viewed in that light, Honnold’s free-solo of El Capitan represents a miraculous opportunity for the rest of us to experience what you might call the human sublime — a performance so far beyond our current understanding of our physical and mental potential that it provokes a pleasurable sensation of mystified awe right alongside the inevitable nausea."

"Reasonable people consider projects like these idiotic to the point of outrage. That is perfectly defensible. Honnold doesn’t have children, but he does have a mother who loves him very much. If you count yourself among those inclined to negative judgment, and even if you don’t, I hope you’ll indulge a mental exercise for fun. Allow your mind to relax into the possibility that Honnold’s climb was not reckless at all — that he really was born with unique neural architecture and physical gifts, and that his years of dedication really did develop those gifts to the point that he could not only make every move on El Capitan without rest, he could do so with a tolerably minuscule chance of falling. Viewed in that light, Honnold’s free-solo of El Capitan represents a miraculous opportunity for the rest of us to experience what you might call the human sublime — a performance so far beyond our current understanding of our physical and mental potential that it provokes a pleasurable sensation of mystified awe right alongside the inevitable nausea."
Bingo.

Users who are viewing this thread