What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Honnold just became the first to free-solo El Capitan in Yosemite. Crazy. (1 Viewer)

I own a mountain cottage in Weaverville NC.  I love the mountains.  I grew up in the mountains.  I camp and hike there all the time.  I have the upmost respect for the outdoors.  That said I think free climbing is the most narcissistic behavior one can do in the outdoors.  Its dangerous and psychopathic 
It’s definitely selfish and dangerous, but neither narcissistic nor psychopathic. Those guys aren’t seeking adulation, manipulating people or lacking empathy. They’re just single-minded and engrossed in the mastery of their craft. 

The alpinist guy is on some other level.  Every one of these solo guys is on some part of the autism spectrum right? Or have something just fundamentally wrong?

The alpinist guy is on some other level.  Every one of these solo guys is on some part of the autism spectrum right? Or have something just fundamentally wrong?
While Honnold and Leclerc are both a little odd, neither seems autistic. And other free soloists seem quite different - eg. Dan Osman and Dean Potter

Terminalxylem said:
While Honnold and Leclerc are both a little odd, neither seems autistic. And other free soloists seem quite different - eg. Dan Osman and Dean Potter

I thought alex said he's more or less diagnosed, no?   The alpinist guy seems to have that same sort of addition+skill. 

I thought alex said he's more or less diagnosed, no?   The alpinist guy seems to have that same sort of addition+skill. 
I think autistic spectrum disorder has become slang for anyone who is a little unemotional and socially awkward, sometimes with immense talent in a specific discipline (“autistic savants”), but there’s a lot more to it. Those guys certainly aren’t “normal”, but I doubt either meets criteria for ASD.

Last edited by a moderator:
The alpinist guy is on some other level. Every one of these solo guys is on some part of the autism spectrum right? Or have something just fundamentally wrong?
In the Free Solo doc they did a scan of Honnold's brain and his fear center is abnormal. These guys' brains are just built different.

Not impressed. I really hate this death wish thrill seeking crap.
Not sure what you‘re referring to, but Honnold doesn’t seem to have a death wish, or be much of a thrill-seeker, for that matter.
I didn't realize he wore safety equipment when climbing. My bad.
Still don’t know exactly what you mean. My assertion is the thread‘s subject, Alex Honnold, doesn’t have a death wish.

While his exploits may seem reckless to the untrained eye, he prepares for climbs with extreme attention to detail, and the difficulty of his free solos is far beneath his limit. Sure, he’s putting his life on the line, but I’m pretty sure he (correctly) views the risk as minimal.

Note, his approach is far more methodical than many other free soloists, some of whom may legitimately wish to die.

Just finished watching a new challenge Alex recently did. I came across it by accident but it was pretty hard to watch at times, I don’t know how anyone can do what these guys do. I caught myself closing my eyes so many times. He uses ropes and other safety gear for this.

It’s on Disney Plus, I’m not sure if it’s available on other streams or not.

Artic Ascent

Just finished watching a new challenge Alex recently did. I came across it by accident but it was pretty hard to watch at times, I don’t know how anyone can do what these guys do. I caught myself closing my eyes so many times. He uses ropes and other safety gear for this.

It’s on Disney Plus, I’m not sure if it’s available on other streams or not.

Artic Ascent
Arctic not artic!!!

Users who are viewing this thread