What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Aboard the Rainey Trainey (1 Viewer)

Minnesota ranked 32nd in the league through 2 games against RBs. Just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think Stafford, Cutler and essentially DET/CHI's offenses as a whole command a lot more respect than whatever it is CLE is planning on fielding this weekend. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out for the moment but man is that CLE offense going to be piss poor.

I would think Stafford, Cutler and essentially DET/CHI's offenses as a whole command a lot more respect than whatever it is CLE is planning on fielding this weekend. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out for the moment but man is that CLE offense going to be piss poor.
Yeah, it was absolutely unwatchable last week and that was with Weeden and T-Rich. They have a chance to be Jacksonville bad now.

I bet Holmes outscores Rainey this season.
You're pinning me into a false choice: I'll bet the starting RB for the Browns outscores both Holmes and Pettigrew, all taken individually. That's what I'm banking on.

Rainey is actually pretty decent. I wouldn't rule him out so quickly here.
You came to that conclusion from his long history of never stepping foot on a game day field?
Why are these forums so antagonistic? Sometimes I wonder why anyone would bother posting.

Of course not, I've just seen some college play, just like other people. And he looked ok to me, as in he's not a total bum who couldn't do anything with an opportunity. That's all.

You came to that conclusion from his long history of never stepping foot on a game day field?
Why are these forums so antagonistic? Sometimes I wonder why anyone would bother posting.

Of course not, I've just seen some college play, just like other people. And he looked ok to me, as in he's not a total bum who couldn't do anything with an opportunity. That's all.
I legitimately curious what makes him decent? He didn't earn a draft selection. He hasn't earned a roster spot. He doesn't measure up when reading his scouting reports. I have heard that fans liked him, so I am curious what you and those fans liked about him.

I legitimately curious what makes him decent? He didn't earn a draft selection. He hasn't earned a roster spot. He doesn't measure up when reading his scouting reports. I have heard that fans liked him, so I am curious what you and those fans liked about him.
I've read a couple of scouting reports that have good things to say - not gushing of course, but if they were, he wouldn't be a backup running back with no NFL carries. He had a very successful small school college career, all indications are that the Ravens liked him and they are a pretty solid organisation when it comes to these things; he showed a bit in a couple of preseasons, for whatever that's worth. I actually think his measurables aren't too bad, though I would say he lacks speed (I don't know what his 40 time would be, but he doesn't look fast to me) and is more of a workmanlike runner, than a guy who will wow you (but again, if he was awesome he probably would have found his way onto an NFL field by now). He fits the profile of a capable backup running back, which to me means he's decent. And here his competition in the immediate future is 32 year old Willis McGahee and the Ogogbanananas guy. So he has an opportunity to do something if he gets a few carries. Again, I'm not saying he's an elite talent or he could be a fantasy game changer, just that if he gets the opportunity, he looks like a guy who could run with it a bit and put up solid, if not spectacular, fantasy numbers. Of course, if McGahee comes in and starts and gets 20 carries a game and puts up RB2 numbers the rest of the year (which I think isn't likely), or Rainey gets no work this week, that's fine. I'm just saying that people are very quick to spend a chunk of waiver dollars on McGahee, when there's another back already there who MIGHT be able to do a lot of the things people are assuming McGahee is going to come in and do.

Starting Rainey over Bradshaw, Vereen, PT Cruiser, and Monte Ball.

SHARK MOVE!

I think Rainey led the Ravens in preseason rushing last year?

From Waldman:

According to Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh, undrafted free agent Bobby Rainey “is opening eyes” in camp. Here’s an analysis of Rainey’s game, a player I compared stylistically to Ray Rice. With Bernard Pierce struggling thus far, and an unproven depth chart at the position, Rainey is making the most of limited opportunities thus far.
This is by no means an indication that Rainey is going to become a great inside runner in the NFL. However, the skills to read, move, and finish are there. What’s working against him is a small school background, the fact he’s already 25 years-old, and he’s under 5’10″ and 210 pounds. Still, I’m keeping an eye on him because I like a lot of what I see.
What I don’t remember is whether it was Chad or I that compared Rainey’s upside to that of former Redskins and Eagles return ace and situational back Brian Mitchell. I think it was Chad, but I initially agreed with that assessment. The comped player wasn’t important, except that it signified that we agreed Rainey had the talent to compete for a roster spot in the NFL.
What happens next is one of the fun parts of this run. Rainey gets into the this hole with his next step and now has a few options. With his head up, Rainey has a split second to make his decision. If Rainey goes straight ahead, he has to contend with the official and at least one of two safeties converging on him. Although out of the screen, Rainey has the peripheral vision to see the safety coming from the right with a clean angle to hit him. It is more difficult for a runner to break a tackle that’s a clean shot coming from an east west direction. Rainey understands this and makes an impressive cut to his left that not only helps him elude the safety coming from the right, but he foils the angle of the safety on the left with an angle that’s more over the top. This decision and its execution demonstrates good peripheral vision, sound decision-making, balance, and agility.
A little more from draft breakdown:

And, if you check the NCAA record book, you’ll find that this Western Kentucky Hilltopper does in fact live in rarefied air. As one of only a handful of rushers in FBS history with back to back 1500 yard seasons, Rainey was named both first team All Sun Belt Conference and two time offensive player of the year, while leading the Hilltoppers to a 7-1 conference record in 2011, only two years after WKU made the full-time move up to the FBS level. As a self described “blue collar guy, who loves to work hard,” Rainey emphasizes that he’s ready to do whatever NFL coaches ask of him. At Western Kentucky, his coaches routinely asked him to, metaphorically, push a rock up a mountain. No back in the country was asked to carry the rock more than Rainey in both 2010 and 2011. And yet, whereas his yards/carry through the first three quarters was a respectable 4.2, in the fourth quarter it jumped to 5.7 yards/carry. Rather than wear down, Rainey bears down and ratchets up his production during the game’s most crucial period. He also finished the fourth quarter of his career on a tear, first gaining 85 tough yards against LSU, running behind an overmatched offensive line, then ripping off consecutive 200+ yard efforts against N. Texas and Troy.
My first thought when the trade went down was that it would be Rainey. Then McGahee happened. I picked up Rainey then McGahee in one league with open post waivers. In another I put in a moderate FABB bid for McGahee and lost him to an owner in a bad RB situation who paid a little bit more. I feel sort of dumb for not putting in a nada bid on Rainey now as a backup.

The Browns went and got Dion Lewis, they got Rainey, they got Dennis Johnson. All of these guys are of a type. I think they're looking for something.

Here's another way to look at this situation. For someone who's been watching Ingram for a while, it occurs to me "these Bama backs" have a problem, they don't cut back very well. There's no imagination in the style. They are straight ahead guys who looked oh so awesome with that powerful line.

I don't think Lombardi's a dummy, I think he has something in mind. I'm not saying I would bet 5 cents on Rainey, but he will probably have this game and next to do something, if he does something big this weekend it will be too late to get him Tuesday.

If Otis is in, Im in too

Picked him and Mcgahee up in a league where I dont own a starting RB :yay:

About the only guy I could drop to put Rainey on my dynasty team is Jaquizz Rogers, and I think Rogers may get a chance to shine this week. He has not looked to great in the first two games so far, but we'll see against the Dolphins.

Rainey is still on my scout team. But with only 17 man rosters there is little room.

Hawks swing for the fences. We don't settle for Jonathan Dwyer or Willis Mcgahee's 3 yards and a cloud of dust. That's not how you win.

:popcorn:

I'm in. Picked him up in all leagues, while the other owners are tripping over themselves for old man McGahee.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dennis Johnson got a shot after these guys suck.

Rainey may have some talent, but this isn't the place to show it. Lewis has a smidge of dynasty appeal if you could stash him on very deep benches or on IR. He's the one that looked very legit to me.

I don't think Lombardi's a dummy, I think he has something in mind. I'm not saying I would bet 5 cents on Rainey, but he will probably have this game and next to do something, if he does something big this weekend it will be too late to get him Tuesday.
I've personally never been impressed.

When covering the NFL Draft for NFL Network, Lombardi stated:

I believe the safest pick in the draft -- beyond Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III -- is Alabama running back Trent Richardson. He's a blue-chip player and has all the skills to quickly establish himself as a top-five player at his position. Forget the nonsense about not taking backs early -- everyone would love the chance to get this guy.
He then trades the guy away 18 games later? Doesn't add up to me...

I also happen to think Chud is a moron. Let me rephrase that -- I believe Chud is an incredibly smart guy that gets in his own way by fully believing he's the smartest guy in the room and convincing himself he has to prove it. Instead of just using what works, he tries to outsmart you by outsmarting himself, proving how smart he really is. Don't you see how smart he is?

We saw it from Chud in year 2 as Cleveland offensive coordinator after sending Edwards, Winslow, and Derek Anderson to the pro bowl in year 1. Then we saw the same thing in Carolina in year 2.

Now they trade away the best RB talent since Peterson to enter the league -- a guy that caught 50 passes, played with broken ribs, no QB, an inept OC, and a defense stacking the box on nearly every carry, and still scored double digit TDs and posted nearly 1,000 yards rushing as a rookie no less.

Did I miss something? I have not seen that Cleveland re-signed Johnson.

Rainey intrigues me, but I am watching the train from the platform for now.

Practice squat - hence the "after these guys suck" part of my sentence. But Johnson didn't exactly look awesome in Houston this preseason either.

Practice squat - hence the "after these guys suck" part of my sentence. But Johnson didn't exactly look awesome in Houston this preseason either.
Aha, thanks. I had indeed missed that Johnson was stashed on their practice squad.

Does anyone have some real positive views/news?

Id say looking at the stats that Rainey fared the best of the bunch.

p.s. I know @FootballRobert just tweeted about the advantages of picking up Gano or Crosby (possible drops for bye) Personally Id actually pick up another LB. (think im holdin still)

Leonard has been getting playing time of late, but he's relatively new to the roster as well, isn't he?

He didn't look bad and was the first man up when James went down. I didn't watch the second half of the game; was Rainy in there on certain packages, or did Leonard become more ineffective so they gave Rain a shot? I see that most of his yardage came on a 31 yard run, but he also got goal-line carries. Interesting situation. There are points to be had here. If we can only have 1 TB RB, who do we pickup?

Rainey was a name to watch in Baltimore, then Cleveland picked him up, then TB went and got him. I think he's got speed and some athletic capability, maybe some big play in him. I'd rather have him as a WW add.

Leonard has actually been around a while but he's no lead back, very limited FF scoring ability there.

Neither are Martin or James.

I'm signing up for Rainey (or hoping to). Tampa has been running the ball really well lately, and to me, Leonard is a known quantity as a 3rd down, complementary back. Rainey's a guy that's had buzz for quite a while (as this thread shows), but never got a chance.

In this scenario, I'd rather have the unknown guy that I believe has potential and is now likely to get a shot, than the known quantity that is rather limited. Sometimes that's the wrong way to go, but I don't think Leonard would ever crack my lineup. Rainey could.

Per RotoWorld:
Coach Greg Schiano said he expects to use Brian Leonard and Bobby Rainey in a timeshare going forward.
Doug Martin (shoulder) is on injured reserve and Mike James (ankle) is about to join him. In Monday night's win over the Dolphins, Leonard got 22 touches and Rainey got nine, but Rainey was the one doing work in the crucial fourth quarter. He got the go-ahead touchdown on a 1-yard scamper to the edge. "That's probably how we'll have to go -- ham and egging with those two guys and see what we can do," Schiano said. Look for Leonard to be the early-down pounder and Rainey to be mixed in as the change-of-pace back. The touch split should be similar to the one we've seen with Rashard Mendenhall/Andre Ellington and BenJarvus Green-Ellis/Gio Bernard. Neither back will be much more than a flex play going forward.
Related: Bobby Rainey

Source: ESPN.com
Nov 12 - 10:15 AM
ETA - Read the article... ESPN writer talks about Rainey being more explosive, stating, "Leonard did what was expected of him, but it was Rainey who stepped up in more spectacular fashion."

I'm signing up for Rainey (or hoping to). Tampa has been running the ball really well lately, and to me, Leonard is a known quantity as a 3rd down, complementary back. Rainey's a guy that's had buzz for quite a while (as this thread shows), but never got a chance.

In this scenario, I'd rather have the unknown guy that I believe has potential and is now likely to get a shot, than the known quantity that is rather limited. Sometimes that's the wrong way to go, but I don't think Leonard would ever crack my lineup. Rainey could.
That is exactly what I am thinking. I would rather roll the dice on Rainey. He may never get enough touches to crack my lineup, but of the two, I prefer Rainey's chances to develop into being lineup worthy.

Does Rainey have more value, though, then a guy like Dennis Johnson? Two young RBs, both working their way into more snaps. Rainey has less competition right now (Leonard) but Johnson has Ben Tate and his cracked ribs (and Tate is a guy who never stays healthy) for this year. Next year, Tate is gone in FA. Johnson could be the backup to Foster (who has a ton of mileage).

Rainey has Martin and James returning.

Here's my thinking...I don't need him. He'd be 5th or 6th on my depth chart. but a potential starting running back just became available in week 11. he's not going to last beyond this season, i think we can all agree. he has Samkon Gado written all over him.

But to me, giving my opponents the chance to pick someone up for free basically, rather than get him yourself? depending on what you have to cut of course...I say go for it.

I watched the game, Leonard looked way more explosive, he had several huge runs where he burst through the line. But Rainey looked ok. looked great on the TD run. I would definitely pick him up.

That is exactly what I am thinking. I would rather roll the dice on Rainey. He may never get enough touches to crack my lineup, but of the two, I prefer Rainey's chances to develop into being lineup worthy.
agree you got to go for the home run which is Rainey

Here's my thinking...I don't need him. He'd be 5th or 6th on my depth chart. but a potential starting running back just became available in week 11. he's not going to last beyond this season, i think we can all agree. he has Samkon Gado written all over him.

But to me, giving my opponents the chance to pick someone up for free basically, rather than get him yourself? depending on what you have to cut of course...I say go for it.

I watched the game, Leonard looked way more explosive, he had several huge runs where he burst through the line. But Rainey looked ok. looked great on the TD run. I would definitely pick him up.
We must have been watching different games. Leonard hits the hole hard, but I'm not sure I'd ever describe him as explosive. Certainly not moreso than Rainey. He gets what's blocked (which was a lot last night).

Rainey looked more explosive to me. Wouldn't shock me at all if Schiano looked at this pair like his Rice/Leonard pairing at Rutgers, with Rainey in the Rice role... a player he's been favorably compared to by quite a few (look earlier in this thread).

Again... I can't ever see Leonard cracking my lineup. Rainey might if he capitalizes on the opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread