What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (1 Viewer)

1960s and Prior Rankings, continued

TOLEDO JIM WHITE CHEVROLETS DIVISION

13th place - 4 points

Jayrod  - Gene Shue, Richie Guerin, Roger Brown, Harry Gallatin, Red Kerr

Average Score: 4.6   Best: 7   Worst: 2
Seems about right.  I had me at 12th, but can't complain.  This is the worst era for me relative to value picks and overall drafting strategy.  I kind of screwed it up in hindsight and should have taken some different guys that would have pulled me a spot or two without changing which rounds I drafted them in.

Roger Brown is the guy I most regret drafting in the whole draft.  Not because he wasn't a good player or shouldn't have been drafted where he was picked, I just didn't have a place for him.  I originally had him in the 70's, but wanted a defensive shooting guard for that team, so I bumped him down.  He only played 2 years in the 60's and I rightfully was probably dinged for that.

FORT WAYNE PISTONS DIVISION

The Pistons are a perfect example of the evolution of professional basketball.  Originally, this NBL team was named the Zollner Pistons for the owner and his local foundry.  Zollner gave his players a share of the profits, but they made so little playing basketball many of the players ended up working in Zollner’s factory to make ends meet.  They actually played their home games in a high school gym at first until they started getting successful enough to secure an arena.  They once had such an epic game of stalling against the Lakers that the 24-second shot clock was instituted soon after.  Zollner was prominent in the NBL/NBA merger (supposedly the merger took place in his kitchen), and he ultimately moved the team to a larger city in Detroit from the smaller Fort Wayne.  The Pistons won the NBL a couple times and actually made the NBA finals in the 1950s. but weren’t able to compete with the greats of the 60s.

Like the Pistons of this time, this tier of teams have some solid players and balanced rosters, but just not enough firepower to battle with the top teams of the later era.

12th place - 5 points

Doug B  - Lenny Wilkens, Kevin Loughery, Cliff Hagan, Willie Naulls, Walt Bellamy

Average Score: 6.2   Best: 13   Worst: 4

11th place - 6 points

Scoobus  - Bob Davies, Jack Twyman, Paul Arizin, Johnny Green, Clyde Lovelette

Average Score: 6.9   Best: 10   Worst: 3

Seems about right.  I had me at 12th, but can't complain.  This is the worst era for me relative to value picks and overall drafting strategy.  I kind of screwed it up in hindsight and should have taken some different guys that would have pulled me a spot or two without changing which rounds I drafted them in.

Roger Brown is the guy I most regret drafting in the whole draft.  Not because he wasn't a good player or shouldn't have been drafted where he was picked, I just didn't have a place for him.  I originally had him in the 70's, but wanted a defensive shooting guard for that team, so I bumped him down.  He only played 2 years in the 60's and I rightfully was probably dinged for that.
I think I was the highest ranker for you since you took a couple guys at the end that I really wanted (Shue and Kerr). 

I think I was the highest ranker for you since you took a couple guys at the end that I really wanted (Shue and Kerr). 
I liked those two picks and thought they could salvage a decent ranking for the era, but after I started doing the judging myself, I knew I was in trouble.  I think Guerin could have maybe gotten me a spot higher, but just like his real career, he had too little help for it to matter.

This era was brutal, IMO and guys that threw early picks at the big names seemed to have a better strategy than the one I attempted.  (I think the 90's was actually a bit worse, but that was because of a scarcity of difference makers....this era had a top tier and then a huge second tier where their values were more dependent upon who was doing the judging)

11th place - 6 points

Dang, @scoobus, seems I had you ranked the highest.  Looks like the discounting of the early era guys dealt you a blow here.

Mister CIA  - Butch Komives, Tom Van Arsdale, Happy Hairston, Jerry Lucas, Walter Dukes

Average Score: 3.1   Best: 10   Worst: 2

14th place - 3 points

Modogg  - Don Ohl, Hal Greer, Bob Boozer, Bill Bridges, Zelmo Beaty

Average Score: 3.9   Best: 10   Worst: 2

13th place - 4 points

Jayrod  - Gene Shue, Richie Guerin, Roger Brown, Harry Gallatin, Red Kerr

Average Score: 4.6   Best: 7   Worst: 2
I had the same bottom two.

I was the outlier for Jayrod and placed them 10th  :bag:

I ranked Guerin/Gallatin 6th best at SG/PF, and I had Brown as the 7th best SF.

wow.   Serious underestimating on how good Bellamy was with this ranking. 
I think it was a tough era for centers.  I had him at the 6/7 range in this era.  He didn't hurt by any means, but wasn't enough of a difference maker in a stacked group.

For perspective, I had Lenny Wilkens as the #3 PG in the era, but his raw value would have placed him around 10th if he was a center.

BALTIMORE BULLETS DIVISION

There was a NBL Baltimore Bullets team that folded in the 1950s, but this is not that team.  The Baltimore Bullets of the 1960s spawned from the Chicago Packers and Chicago Zephyrs of the early NBA.  The franchise moved to Baltimore and took on the Bullets team name and became one of the league’s top teams by the end of the decade.  The Bullets teams were headlined by league superstars and became extremely popular, but could never break through against the dynasties of the decade.

Like the Bullets, the teams in this tier feature some of the great superstar players of the era, but just missed out on the top tiers due to lack of enough supporting cast and/or overall elite talent to hang with the top teams.

10th place - 7 points

EYLive  - Guy Rodgers, Terry Dischinger, John Havlicek, Bailey Howell, Wayne Embry

Average Score: 8.0   Best: 16   Worst: 4

9th place - 8 points

Wikkidpissah  - Earl Monroe, Jerry Sloan, Tom Heinsohn, Gus Johnson, Leroy Ellis

Average Score: 8.4   Best: 14   Worst: 3

8th place - 9 points

Trader Jake - **** McGuire, Bobby Wanzer, Satch Sanders, Larry Foust, George Mikan

Average Score: 8.6   Best: 13   Worst: 6

7th place - 10 points

Gally - Larry Costello, Sam Jones, Joe Caldwell, Rudy LaRusso, Dolph Schayes

Average Score: 8.9   Best: 11   Worst: 6

6th place - 11 points

Yo Mama  - Andy Phillip, **** Van Arsdale, Elgin Baylor, Ed Macauley, Arnie Risen

Average Score: 10.1   Best: 14   Worst: 7

10th place - 7 points

EYLive  - Guy Rodgers, Terry Dischinger, John Havlicek, Bailey Howell, Wayne Embry

Wow - would not have been one of the teams I guessed to come in first place in any of the rankings.

Wow - would not have been one of the teams I guessed to come in first place in any of the rankings.
Yeah, I thought about doing diving scoring adjustments to throw out the highest and lowest scores, but it wouldn’t have changed the overall rankings. I can do that going forward to get rid of the outliers if you guys want. 

Doug B  - Lenny Wilkens, Kevin Loughery, Cliff Hagan, Willie Naulls, Walt Bellamy

Average Score: 6.2   Best: 13   Worst: 4

11th place - 6 points

Same ranking for DougB

Again the outlier, with scoobus 7th best on the strength of Arizin being 3rd best SF and Twyman 5th best SG.

I’m pretty far outside consensus, terrible judge.

:lol:

These are some wiiiiiiide ranges.
Totally, but those mostly came from one or two outliers. It was fairly consistent for the most part.  One of the benefits of not sticking to one judge that might have a big difference of opinion from most. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I thought about doing diving scoring adjustments to throw out the highest and lowest scores, but it wouldn’t have changed the overall rankings. I can do that going forward to get rid of the outliers if you guys want. 
Personally, I'd only do that if we really had like 10+ judges. And even then it's kind of fun to see all the rankings and the range. If you have it in a spreadsheet somewhere and it isn't a ton of work, would be fun to see the actual ranks, e.g., 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 11 etc., for a given team.

Same thing happened in the movie drafts when we had multiple people ranking a category. I think musicals had 3 voters and we mostly agreed on the top 2 or 3  by after that someone’s 13 pointer was another’s 2 pointer. One person complained a movie didn’t have enough music and another complained the movie had too much music. It’s chaos!

I think this is just the product of the era we are judging here.  Is a Hall of Famer from the 50's who averaged a double-double for his career and won 2 rings more valuable than a 4 time ABA all-star who made 2 all-D teams in the late 60's, early 70's?

How good was Chet Walker compared to Tom Heinsohn?  I honestly don't know and I don't think anyone else does either.

Personally, I'd only do that if we really had like 10+ judges. And even then it's kind of fun to see all the rankings and the range. If you have it in a spreadsheet somewhere and it isn't a ton of work, would be fun to see the actual ranks, e.g., 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 11 etc., for a given team.
Ok, I can do that later today to show the full ranges. I have tons of meetings today so trying to roll out the results as I have them this morning. 

BALTIMORE BULLETS DIVISION

8th place - 9 points

Trader Jake - **** McGuire, Bobby Wanzer, Satch Sanders, Larry Foust, George Mikan

7th place - 10 points

@trader jakeI guess the trade we made of draft spot didn't wildly separate us thus far. 

As far as my ranking I thought I would fall in the 8-12 range depending on how high team construction was valued and if Schayes got a ding for being a little before the 60's prime.   So far so good so I am guessing that means a kick to the nuggets is coming in one of the other categories..haha

Lot of debate about in the original draft. He’s a strange case - a entire career of diminishing value after a brilliant rookie season.
He's also up against monster talents, I had these in front of him: Russell, Thurmond, Mikan, Wilt, Reed, Beaty, Schayes, Johnston, Lovelette

MINNEAPOLIS / LOS ANGELES LAKERS DIVISION

Not much needs to be said about this epic franchise.  Dominated in the first half of the 50s, but ran up against a juggernaut in the 60s.

This tier of teams are the cream of the crop.  All-time greats anchor these squads, but they also include great balance and depth.  All excellent teams with plenty of accolades.  And yet, there is one in this era greater than the greats.

5th place - 12 points

Timschochet  - Walt Hazzard, Frank Selvy, Jim Pollard, Vern Mikkelson, Wilt Chamberlain

Average Score: 11.2   Best: 15   Worst: 5

4th place - 13 points

Kev4029  - KC Jones, Jerry West, Tom Gola, Dave Debusschere, Neil Johnston

Average Score: 12.6   Best: 16   Worst: 7

3rd place - 14 points

Frosty  - Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman, George Yardley, Don Kojis, Willis Reed

Average Score: 13.1   Best: 16   Worst: 10

2nd place - 15 points

Instinctive  - Oscar Robertson, Carl Braun, Joe Fulks, Maurice Stokes, Nate Thurmond

Average Score: 14.1   Best: 15   Worst: 12

9th place - 8 points

Wikkidpissah  - Earl Monroe, Jerry Sloan, Tom Heinsohn, Gus Johnson, Leroy Ellis

Average Score: 8.4   Best: 14   Worst: 3

8th place - 9 points

7th place - 10 points

6th place - 11 points

Yo Mama  - Andy Phillip, **** Van Arsdale, Elgin Baylor, Ed Macauley, Arnie Risen

Average Score: 10.1   Best: 14   Worst: 7
I matched 10th, 8th and 7th.

Off by 4 spots on wikkid - I figured nobody is getting the ball if Pearl is playing PG, great corners and Sloan was tough as nails but he and Ellis drag the team down for me.

I had Mama three spots higher which is pretty blatant sucking up. I had Elgin #1 at SF and Easy Ed was like 5th best PF, but Risen (11th) was the only one of his guys who got less than 8 points (9th) for me. I had the better twin as the 7th best SG, might be an outlier. Still a solid team despite my obsequiousness.

BOSTON CELTICS DIVISION

As much as I hate to admit it, one team in this era ruled them all and somehow gave generations of New Englanders a sense of bragging rights for over 50 years.

One team was the near unanimous top choice.  By far the best overall frontcourt with solid support in the backcourt (I know that is selling Martin and Barnett short, but this team primarily dominates from the front court).  Our 60s and Prior Champion:

1st place - 16 points

Ilov80s  - Slater Martin, **** Barnett, Chet Walker, Bob Petit, Bill Russell

Average Score: 15.3   Best: 16   Worst: 12

2nd place - 15 points

Instinctive  - Oscar Robertson, Carl Braun, Joe Fulks, Maurice Stokes, Nate Thurmond

Average Score: 14.1   Best: 15   Worst: 12
I have to wonder how much better I'd have done if I didn't miss my pick and had Gola instead of an out of position Fulks. Probably still end up in the same spot I imagine.

1960s and Prior Final Rankings

16 pts - Ilov80s  - Slater Martin, **** Barnett, Chet Walker, Bob Petit, Bill Russell

15 pts - Instinctive  - Oscar Robertson, Carl Braun, Joe Fulks, Maurice Stokes, Nate Thurmond

14 pts - Frosty  - Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman, George Yardley, Don Kojis, Willis Reed

13 pts - Kev4029  - KC Jones, Jerry West, Tom Gola, Dave Debusschere, Neil Johnston

12 pts - Timschochet  - Walt Hazzard, Frank Selvy, Jim Pollard, Vern Mikkelson, Wilt Chamberlain

11 pts - Yo Mama  - Andy Phillip, **** Van Arsdale, Elgin Baylor, Ed Macauley, Arnie Risen

10 pts - Gally - Larry Costello, Sam Jones, Joe Caldwell, Rudy LaRusso, Dolph Schayes

9 pts - Trader Jake - **** McGuire, Bobby Wanzer, Satch Sanders, Larry Foust, George Mikan

8 pts - Wikkidpissah  - Earl Monroe, Jerry Sloan, Tom Heinsohn, Gus Johnson, Leroy Ellis

7 pts - EYLive  - Guy Rodgers, Terry Dischinger, John Havlicek, Bailey Howell, Wayne Embry

6 pts - Scoobus  - Bob Davies, Jack Twyman, Paul Arizin, Johnny Green, Clyde Lovelette

5 pts - Doug B  - Lenny Wilkens, Kevin Loughery, Cliff Hagan, Willie Naulls, Walt Bellamy

4 pts - Jayrod  - Gene Shue, Richie Guerin, Roger Brown, Harry Gallatin, Red Kerr

3 pts - Modogg  - Don Ohl, Hal Greer, Bob Boozer, Bill Bridges, Zelmo Beaty

2 pts - Mister CIA  - Butch Komives, Tom Van Arsdale, Happy Hairston, Jerry Lucas, Walter Dukes

1 pts - Higgins  - Ernie Calverley, Kenny Sailors, Howie Shannon, Old Nat Hickey, George Nostrand

1960s and Prior Final Rankings

16 pts - Ilov80s  - Slater Martin, **** Barnett, Chet Walker, Bob Petit, Bill Russell

15 pts - Instinctive  - Oscar Robertson, Carl Braun, Joe Fulks, Maurice Stokes, Nate Thurmond

14 pts - Frosty  - Bob Cousy, Bill Sharman, George Yardley, Don Kojis, Willis Reed

13 pts - Kev4029  - KC Jones, Jerry West, Tom Gola, Dave Debusschere, Neil Johnston

12 pts - Timschochet  - Walt Hazzard, Frank Selvy, Jim Pollard, Vern Mikkelson, Wilt Chamberlain

11 pts - Yo Mama  - Andy Phillip, **** Van Arsdale, Elgin Baylor, Ed Macauley, Arnie Risen

10 pts - Gally - Larry Costello, Sam Jones, Joe Caldwell, Rudy LaRusso, Dolph Schayes

9 pts - Trader Jake - **** McGuire, Bobby Wanzer, Satch Sanders, Larry Foust, George Mikan

8 pts - Wikkidpissah  - Earl Monroe, Jerry Sloan, Tom Heinsohn, Gus Johnson, Leroy Ellis

7 pts - EYLive  - Guy Rodgers, Terry Dischinger, John Havlicek, Bailey Howell, Wayne Embry

6 pts - Scoobus  - Bob Davies, Jack Twyman, Paul Arizin, Johnny Green, Clyde Lovelette

5 pts - Doug B  - Lenny Wilkens, Kevin Loughery, Cliff Hagan, Willie Naulls, Walt Bellamy

4 pts - Jayrod  - Gene Shue, Richie Guerin, Roger Brown, Harry Gallatin, Red Kerr

3 pts - Modogg  - Don Ohl, Hal Greer, Bob Boozer, Bill Bridges, Zelmo Beaty

2 pts - Mister CIA  - Butch Komives, Tom Van Arsdale, Happy Hairston, Jerry Lucas, Walter Dukes

1 pts - Higgins  - Ernie Calverley, Kenny Sailors, Howie Shannon, Old Nat Hickey, George Nostrand
Biggest variances for me:

I had @Gally 3 spots lower than he finished and @scoobus 4 spots higher.

Everyone else landed within 1 spot of where I had them.

@trader jakeI guess the trade we made of draft spot didn't wildly separate us thus far. 

As far as my ranking I thought I would fall in the 8-12 range depending on how high team construction was valued and if Schayes got a ding for being a little before the 60's prime.   So far so good so I am guessing that means a kick to the nuggets is coming in one of the other categories..haha
I had you for 11 pts.  and a 9-5 record.

He's also up against monster talents, I had these in front of him: Russell, Thurmond, Mikan, Wilt, Reed, Beaty, Schayes, Johnston, Lovelette
My C ranks were:

Wilt
Bill
Mikan
Schayes (biggest surprise fir me)
Reed
Thurmond
Johnston
Bellamy
Beaty
Lovelette
Risen
Kerr
Embry
Dukes
Ellis
TBD

I had you for 11 pts.  and a 9-5 record.
Yeah let us know your records/results!

BOSTON CELTICS DIVISION

As much as I hate to admit it, one team in this era ruled them all and somehow gave generations of New Englanders a sense of bragging rights for over 50 years.

One team was the near unanimous top choice.  By far the best overall frontcourt with solid support in the backcourt (I know that is selling Martin and Barnett short, but this team primarily dominates from the front court).  Our 60s and Prior Champion:

1st place - 16 points

Curious who gave me 12. That seems really low. They must have felt they had a close crack at the top spot and wanted to ding me lol.

I’m gunna be chilling near the bottom of these standing for quite a while, gunna get comfortable.
It’s all downhill for me from here and sadly I don’t think I can use this team for the Best in Show because age bias will hurt them too much. 

BOSTON CELTICS DIVISION

1st place - 16 points

Samesies

Great write-ups brother, thanks!

It’s all downhill for me from here and sadly I don’t think I can use this team for the Best in Show because age bias will hurt them too much. 
You have another top tier squad you could include in that category as well.

I actually have your 60's team ranked higher based on my spreadsheet.

Users who are viewing this thread