What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***** ALL-TIME NBA/ABA DRAFT ***** (Scoobus is Champion!) (1 Viewer)

Jayrod said:
Because everyone loves a good debate, I'm going to list my biggest criticism of each team:

• Ilov80s - I feel like Thomas and Dumars are going to have to do too much for this team and outside shooting is a problem, similar to my team.
Agreed, I had another HOF PG I could have included but he was such an old timer that I figured he would get dinged really hard. I could have fielded a team that was 8 for 8 with Hall of Famers.  As for perimeter shooting, I hear you. Dumars is a crackshot and Isiah was a streaky outside shooter but never consistent. The only thing I have in my defense is the 2nd half of his career, Nique became a pretty decent 3 point shooter for his era. McAdoo was a really good shooter and had range for his day. Sikma was one of the original stretch 5s and made some use of that later in his career. If they came up in the modern era, both are probably developing a strong 3 point game. But yeah, I obviously don't have anything like Curry, Dame, Miller, Mark Price, etc. I am hoping my strength of being one of the only teams with a championship winning coach will get some consideration. 

wikkidpissah said:
ilov80s: Isiah-Dumars-Dominique-Pettit-Russell/Butler-McAdoo-Sikma

What i like best: That this oldish squad might even be better at Treyball than Deuceball. Only Russ wouldnt be able to stretch their shot out (as i've told before, Pettit had a hook shot he used to make from 3-country) but he frikkin invented switching. And 'nique against a zone?! Another perfect 6th man in Butler

What i like least: None, really. a little meh on Dumars, but i'll take him over Klay, say. and, tho i'm sure Sikma is indeed one of the 8 best here, i'd probably take Booker over him to back the point.
Glad you thought my vision came together. I wanted to make sure my old school team could play new school. They might not get credit for it because of the era they played in didn't push them to develop it but Sikma and McAdoo had range. I actually hadn't considered Booker because people seemed to scoff when I took him. He would have added to shooting threat for sure. Also, with Isiah, Nique, Pettit and McAdoo, I figured my team had enough guys who we could lean on for high volume scoring. I liked that Sikma brought offense and defense to the table and a total counter point to Russ. 

wikkidpissah said:
Mister CIA - Payton-Ginobili-Durant-Cummings-Olajuwon/Aguirre-Lucas-Horry

What i like best: hard to find three guys better at what they do than Payton, KD & Hakeem. They are almost each unprecedented. I dont think i like TC as much as you, but that's the nature of those great college players who never got out of Palookaville. Who's to say?

What i liked least: What you got against shooting guards?! Ginobili would be an excellent 6th man on any team, but he dont belong on a starting Pantheon squads. and you dont really have a 2nd
According to the spreadsheet, he started Horry not Manu.  :mellow:

wikkidpissah said:
Jayrod: Lillard-Wade-Pierce-Anteaternintendo-Kareem/DJohnson-Dantley-Haywood

What i like least: Owner behavior - Snyderish from the gitgo. Find a better way to argue/discuss, dood

wikkidpissah said:
Timschochet - Frazier-Harden-Worthy-Rodman-Wilt/Penny-Vince Carter-Mo Lucas

what i like best: well done and thank you for being too busy to comment, mr timmy. that helped me like you better.
cool

My favorite teams: 

@Gally 

PG Chris Paul, SG Sam Jones, SF Scottie Pippen, PF Tim Duncan, C Dwight Howard/ SF Bob Dandridge, PG Dave Bing, PF Dolph Schayes

Sam Jones as SG is the weak link but with what else is on this team, I really don't think it will matter. Top 5 all time PG who do it all both ways, Pippen is an elite 2 way wing who knows how to play the team game doesn't expect to be the go to star, Duncan is the best PF/C of all time. Those 3 might be the best trio of 2 way players spread across all levels of the court. Then Dwight in the middle makes this defense incredible. He just needs to know his role and stick to it.  Plus a HOF scoring PG and rebounding big coming off the bench. Dandridge had a really nice all around game too. 

My favorite teams: 

@Gally 

PG Chris Paul, SG Sam Jones, SF Scottie Pippen, PF Tim Duncan, C Dwight Howard/ SF Bob Dandridge, PG Dave Bing, PF Dolph Schayes

Sam Jones as SG is the weak link but with what else is on this team, I really don't think it will matter. Top 5 all time PG who do it all both ways, Pippen is an elite 2 way wing who knows how to play the team game doesn't expect to be the go to star, Duncan is the best PF/C of all time. Those 3 might be the best trio of 2 way players spread across all levels of the court. Then Dwight in the middle makes this defense incredible. He just needs to know his role and stick to it.  Plus a HOF scoring PG and rebounding big coming off the bench. Dandridge had a really nice all around game too. 
I had it as 5th due to a weak bench.  Iverson and Joker would abuse any dude name Dolph.

I had it as 5th due to a weak bench.  Iverson and Joker would abuse any dude name Dolph.
Dolph was revolutionary for his day.  He played more of the current game in that he was a big that had outside range and could also get to the basket.  It also doesn't hurt he was an outstanding free throw shooter and led the league in percentage three times.  He was also top 10 in assists, top 5 in rebounding and scoring.  He could do it all. Long live Dolph!!!

Pantheon Rosters and Timing

Writeups today and this weekend

Rankings due Monday 4/19 at 4pm pacific, 7pm eastern

Let me know asap if you have any roster changes from the below.

Modogg  - John Stockton, Michael Jordan, Connie Hawkins, Chris Bosh, Joel Embiid - Bn: Allen Iverson, Hal Greer, Rasheed Wallace

Timschochet  - Walt Frazier, James Harden, James Worthy, Dennis Rodman, Wilt Chamberlain - Bn: Maurice Lucas, Vince Carter, Penny Hardaway

Wikkidpissah  - Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Bernard King, Dave Cowens, Patrick Ewing - Bn: Earl Monroe, Gus Johnson, Ben Simmons

Jayrod  - Damian Lillard, Dwyane Wade, Paul Pierce, G Antetokounmpo, K Abdul-Jabbar - Bn: Adrian Dantley, Dennis Johnson, Spencer Haywood

Ilov80s  - Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Dominique Wilkins, Bob Petit, Bill Russell - Bn: Bob McAdoo, Jimmy Butler, Jack Sikma

Frosty  - Bob Cousy, Pete Maravich, LeBron James, Willis Reed, Alonzo Mourning - Bn: Kevin Love, Bill Sharman, Glen Rice

EYLive  - Kyrie Irving, Kobe Bryant, John Havlicek, Demarcus Cousins, Wes Unseld - Bn: Rick Barry, Bob Lanier, Shawn Marion

Instinctive  - Oscar Robertson, Alvin Robertson, Kawhi Leonard, Dirk Nowitzki, Nate Thurmond - Bn: Chauncey Billups, Ben Wallace, Tracy McGrady

Trader Jake - Mark Price, George Gervin, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, George Mikan - Bn: Grant Hill, Chris Webber, Bobby Jones

Gally - Chris Paul, Sam Jones, Scottie Pippen, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard - Bn: Bob Dandridge, Dave Bing, Dolphin Schayes

Mister CIA  - Gary Payton, Manu Ginobili, Kevin Durant, Terry Cummings, Hakeem Olajuwon - Bn: Mark Aguirre, Jerry Lucas, Robert Horry

Doug B  - Steph Curry, Mitch Richmond, Paul George, Kevin McHale, David Robinson - Bn: Billy Cunningham, Walt Bellamy, Lafayette Lever

Higgins  - Russell Westbrook, Reggie Miller, Julius Erving, Elvin Hayes, Artis Gilmore - Bn: Dikembe Mutombo, Maurice Cheeks, Eddie Jones

Scoobus  - Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Chris Mullin, Kevin Garnett , Shaquille O'Neal - Bn: Carmelo Anthony, Bruce Bowen, Rudy Gobert

Kev4029  - Steve Nash, Jerry West, Dave Debusschere, Karl Malone, Bill Walton - Bn: David Thompson, Nikola Jokic, Metta World Peace

Yo Mama  - Nate Archibald, Klay Thompson, Elgin Baylor, Anthony Davis, Moses Malone - Bn: Sidney Moncrief, Robert Parish, Gail Goodrich

didn't see a post with aggregate rosters ... that might help expedite voting  :shrug:
Here you go

... he's called "KobMe" in certain quarters for a reason ... was he touted here as someone who doesn't need to be the star, like Pippen was referred to?

🦘
Come on you know Pippin willingly played the 2nd fiddle for most of his career. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, here’s what I’m thinking. 

So far the pantheon rankings have been pretty...diverse. 

For example, every team has a high ranking of at least 12 out of 16. Every team (except one) has a low ranking of 5 or lower - with 11 different teams having at least one bottom 3 ranking.  And that’s with 10 sets of rankings so far. 

I’m proposing we do the Olympic scoring for this final round since it counts triple. That is where we drop the high and low ranking for each team and average the rest. 

Thoughts?

And sorry I haven’t been super active here lately - crazy week for work and non-work stuff (nothing bad, just crazy busy). 

For example, every team has a high ranking of at least 12 out of 16. Every team (except one) has a low ranking of 5 or lower - with 11 different teams having at least one bottom 3 ranking.  And that’s with 10 sets of rankings so far. 

I’m proposing we do the Olympic scoring for this final round since it counts triple. That is where we drop the high and low ranking for each team and average the rest. 

Thoughts?
I support that idea or doing median instead of average. 

Thoughts?
Sounds good to me.

How many rankings are in so far?  Like I said in my PM I don't think I'm qualified to judge this round, but I'll send something in if you need more and want some more... diversity.

And then makes it to win a playoff game? Yeah I posted that earlier.
So basically the difference between his and Westbrook is one lucky poorly chosen shot....and a bunch of stats.

Thoughts?
I you were going to toss my rankings you could have told me in advance and saved the time.

Thoughts?
If it's like that for every team will it really make much of a difference?  Maybe if a score is over 5 places from the next closest where it is obviously out of balance?  Although, throwing out just a score here or there probably would be very meaningful.  

I have no opinion either way (Olympic vs standard).

Rick Barry did the same thing when his teammates didn't come to his defense during an on-court incident.
Rick Berry was a great player but was on my do not draft list.  In his own autobiography he admitted to once punching a nun and his own mother called him greedy.  🤕  Again, this was in his own autobiography.  There are a million quotes about him being despised...for very good reasons apparently.

Thoughts?
+1 from me unless I'm the team with no low ranking then let's let it ride

Rick Berry was a great player but was on my do not draft list.  In his own autobiography he admitted to once punching a nun and his own mother called him greedy.  🤕  Again, this was in his own autobiography.  There are a million quotes about him being despised...for very good reasons apparently.
Malcolm Gladwell did a podcast episode about shooting granny style and delves into Barry and his personality a bit.  It was very interesting.  It was on his Revisionist History Podcast and the title was "The Big Man can't Shoot".  It was about Wilt shooting granny style for one year and then stopping and Barry talks about.

Malcolm Gladwell did a podcast episode about shooting granny style and delves into Barry and his personality a bit.  It was very interesting.  It was on his Revisionist History Podcast and the title was "The Big Man can't Shoot".  It was about Wilt shooting granny style for one year and then stopping and Barry talks about.
Gladwell helped 'Free Brian Williams' but there is no redemption for Barry and his antics. 

Kentucky's John Calipari has a metaphor he's used a few times that applies here, "Let’s say you have a bucket of ice cream and a bucket of poop. You can add all the ice cream you want to that bucket of poop and it’s not going to change it one bit. But if you add so much as one pinch of poop to that ice cream it’ll never be the same."

Barry's not the only Pantheon player that I wouldn't have drafted though.  This wasn't an NBA draft, where an elite player dropped to pick 10 and at a certain point a GM has to just roll the dice and hope.  This was an all-time draft where there were a slew of great options with each pick and passing on a turd of a player should have been easy.  Way too many problem children and not enough ice cream for my tastes.

Gladwell helped 'Free Brian Williams' but there is no redemption for Barry and his antics. 

Kentucky's John Calipari has a metaphor he's used a few times that applies here, "Let’s say you have a bucket of ice cream and a bucket of poop. You can add all the ice cream you want to that bucket of poop and it’s not going to change it one bit. But if you add so much as one pinch of poop to that ice cream it’ll never be the same."

Barry's not the only Pantheon player that I wouldn't have drafted though.  This wasn't an NBA draft, where an elite player dropped to pick 10 and at a certain point a GM has to just roll the dice and hope.  This was an all-time draft where there were a slew of great options with each pick and passing on a turd of a player should have been easy.  Way too many problem children and not enough ice cream for my tastes.
That is a fantastic analogy.  

I wasn't saying he made Barry likeable.  It was just a very interesting commentary on both Wilt and Barry.

Users who are viewing this thread