What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (3 Viewers)

Did Theresa (AKA “Fake Accent Girl”) actually get the fishing line out there? I thought she got everything tangled up and had to abandon the idea. 

I agree that it’s a brilliant idea and I was very intrigued to see if it was going to work. 
I thought she got it to work.  Not sure I guess.  

It's almost like they are making it as hard as possible, shorter timeline, less cost.
They cut the prize in half from $1 million last season to only $500,000 this season.

They left so much on the cutting room floor last year, they easily could have added another half dozen episodes and not shot anything else.  This season it doesn't seem like the footage is nearly as engaging.  

You cut the ability to hunt or get calories and you'll see everyone lethargic, sitting around trying to conserve calories.  

It seems like they are going to the reality TV show contrived cheap drama or at least hoping for it.   

In the teaser for tonight's episode it looks like Biko groans and takes a fall and we hear what sounds like someone tapping out so we 'could' be down to only 3 left by end of tonight's show.  

They are only something like 30 days in and half the contestants have dropped.  If someone had made it a long time they would be over 50/60 days in.

Weekly tune-in reminder. 

Well, before last season I think it was 500k as well.  Last season seems to be the anomaly with this season back to normal.  Last season the winner was anyone who could make it 100 days.
Yep. And iirc, most winners have been somewhere in the 40-60 day range. Last season was the 100 day challenge (pretty sure Roland is still chilling at stone house), but i dont remember bear- just wolves.

The reaction to the Grizzly was a bit concerning. Dude might be going crazy! 
I kept wondering wth he was going to do once he caught up to it. Seems like he had a reckoning of sorts afterwards... hopefully. Because yeah- theres enough trouble out there without going to look for it.

And Biko- weve seen previous contestants use rock traps to catch mice to eat... 

I kept wondering wth he was going to do once he caught up to it. Seems like he had a reckoning of sorts afterwards... hopefully. Because yeah- theres enough trouble out there without going to look for it.

And Biko- weve seen previous contestants use rock traps to catch mice to eat... 
Or go crazy from mice - Larry 

The reaction to the Grizzly was a bit concerning. Dude might be going crazy! 
I have been closer (within 3 feet) of a griz right outside of Yellowstone but I was in a car.  Could hear its claws clicking on the road as it approached us.  Was able to roll up my window, turn the key, hit the gas and take off before it got to two feet.  Its exhilarating to have a close encounter but you can't be an idiot.

Clay sprayed him on the 'bluff' charge but bear spray will NOT stop a grizzly if it wants you.  Clay got the 'encounter high' so he's in danger of thinking  that he can 'handle' the griz population.  He doesn't want to Timmothy Treadwell himself. 

False sense of security = stupidity

Per mice (Biko).  They are not allowed to 'trap' mice.  Biko can 'defend' himself from an attack and he said that he considered the 'attack' on critical items an 'attack' where he is justified in killing the mouse but he still can't trap or deadfall him.

Roland had a mice issue and said why he didn't kill his problem mouse.  He said it was the 'alpha' mouse who had claimed Rock House as his territory.  He said that if he killed the 'alpha' that he'd have all sorts of other mice trying to claim Rock House as theirs.  So if Biko does wind up killing his problem mouse he may end up with a bigger problem.

Huh, thought the last one was one of the best episodes of the season (an admittedly low bar). Had a little bit of everything. 

Finished 1-2-7 and am almost caught up in S8 now.

Roland, man.

Really just needs to be a rule that if you stab a musk ox to death with a knife and then, months later, eat the grassy half-digested contents of its stomach you just win and get to go home. 

Finished 1-2-7 and am almost caught up in S8 now.

Roland, man.

Really just needs to be a rule that if you stab a musk ox to death with a knife and then, months later, eat the grassy half-digested contents of its stomach you just win and get to go home. 
He's still there. Gnawing on bunny heads in his undies.

The whole show .. Get to day 45 to use gill nets!!!!

Gill nets go in and only the guy that built a boat succeeds, rest :kicksrock:

The biggest surprise is the guy that killed a dear and has been living the high life compared to the rest food wise, is losing confidence by the day of winning. Must have pigged out on the deer and has nothing reserved..

The whole show .. Get to day 45 to use gill nets!!!!

Gill nets go in and only the guy that built a boat succeeds, rest :kicksrock:

The biggest surprise is the guy that killed a dear and has been living the high life compared to the rest food wise, is losing confidence by the day of winning. Must have pigged out on the deer and has nothing reserved..
Pure show editing to create suspense. That guy won it the second his arrow hit the deer. Love his laundry line though, which seems to work- just keep rolling it out there and hope something catches. 

It is strange the gill nets aren't working by the shore. Guy with the boat though...clear advantage being able to get to deeper water.

And Accent Annie...lol at her dropping it completely as she's walking in the first bitter cold along the shore with the failed gil net. I think she threw one lame word in at the end when she remembered. 

Eta...I think it was her walk to the failed fish trap, not a Gill net. Either way, kept hoping for a grizzly to ride out on a unicycle, slap her, and in an obviously fake Russian accent tell her to talk normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pure show editing to create suspense. That guy won it the second his arrow hit the deer. Love his laundry line though, which seems to work- just keep rolling it out there and hope something catches. 

It is strange the gill nets aren't working by the shore. Guy with the boat though...clear advantage being able to get to deeper water.

And Accent Annie...lol at her dropping it completely as she's walking in the first bitter cold along the shore with the failed gil net. I think she threw one lame word in at the end when she remembered
From my experience in Canada when we go to Northern Ontario that late in the season( late September, early October), the Walleye are below 40 feet.. Even the Bait :fishy: move to the deep warmer water.

We've basically given up fishing for Walleye that late in the season and go after Northern Pike ( they tend to stay in shallower depths/weeds) or Whitefish which are at 40 feet also. 
But Whitefish don't blow out their lungs like Walleyes do when you bring them up from that deep.

Does Colter try to be as dirty as it can get? It’s amazing how filthy he is. Gonna have to change that bath water a few times when he gets his bath! 

Biko is the least talented contestant to make it this far. Has he gotten any substantial food? I have not seen him eat anything.  He is actually growing on me a little bit but I still hope he does not win. He would only win because of his weight. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised / disappointed at last night's ending. At least Colter was trying something. He seemed like a smart dude who was crafty. In fairness, it was tough to see how thin his face was at the end because his beard had swallowed it.

Two thirds of the remaining contestants are sitting around trying not to starve on rose hips and a minnow while the other one is trying to attract a cougar, err, mountain lion.

I am kind of pulling for fake British accent girl. Like to see a female win. Shocked she wasn't pulled she was skinny when she got there.

Surprised / disappointed at last night's ending. At least Colter was trying something. He seemed like a smart dude who was crafty. In fairness, it was tough to see how thin his face was at the end because his beard had swallowed it.

Two thirds of the remaining contestants are sitting around trying not to starve on rose hips and a minnow while the other one is trying to attract a cougar, err, mountain lion.

I think when he said he didn't diversify his efforts, he was on point.

I think he’s a little loose with some of his decisions (tracking a grizzly, mountain lion) but I like clay. He built a great shelter. He has hunted. He’s fishing, although not as successful as Colter, he’s done it without a boat (which I think is to dangerous!!!). 

Biko’s strategy was to gain weight before he arrived. Has he gotten any fish (besides the minnow) or meat yet? Even Fake Accent  girl has done much better with getting food. I really do not want Biko to win because he has shown the least amount of skills. 

I would love to see Clay, Roland (season 7 winner) and Jordan (season 6 winner) compete against each other. 

Yeah Biko really has no strategy other than start fat. One of the worst to make it this far. 

Tough choice for me as to who would make me angrier as a winner:  Mary Poppins or Biko.  I think Biko is likable but would be the least deserving winner ever.  Eliza Doolittle isn't un-deserving but the most irritating contestant of all time.

GO CLAY, FFS GO CLAY.

Tough choice for me as to who would make me angrier as a winner:  Mary Poppins or Biko.  I think Biko is likable but would be the least deserving winner ever.  Eliza Doolittle isn't un-deserving but the most irritating contestant of all time.

GO CLAY, FFS GO CLAY.
:lmao:

I think shes pretty good at this though. Aside from wanting to reach through the screen and slap her ala Chinatown until she stops with the spoon full of sugar, guvnah/guvness/guvnah... I like her attitude and ability to figure things out out there. Haven't really seen her try to hunt and so far she's striking out with the fishing, but if she can get anything going I think she could do well (she's already done amazing).

Biko...his shelter annoys me. I just want him to cut those excess logs off. Also wanted to jiggle his belly for not having kinked the place before it got cold.

was sad about Colter. The boat and two gill nets seem like he was on his way. Also liked his shelter a lot (semi-rock house) and enjoyed him on screen...aside from the filth and chia-pet beard.

Clay seems too reckless with the predators, but probably still has a shed full of deer jerky and a hinged door. Unless something goes really wrong with him, he wins.

was sad about Colter. The boat and two gill nets seem like he was on his way. Also liked his shelter a lot (semi-rock house) and enjoyed him on screen...aside from the filth and chia-pet beard.

Agree with your whole post, but especially this.  I'd been rooting for him from the beginning, even with the extreme closeups of his blackheads and other filth.  It actually got a little dusty in here when he was sobbing about not having done his best and not made his parents proud.

As much as Fat Dio has really done nothing really useful and is just slowly starving, it's such a successful strategy that next season you know that every contestant is going to come in with an extra 100 lbs. on them.   I think he may have just ruined the show.

As much as Fat Dio has really done nothing really useful and is just slowly starving, it's such a successful strategy that next season you know that every contestant is going to come in with an extra 100 lbs. on them.   I think he may have just ruined the show.

Yeah, I was thinking they may have to limit the fat percentage in future shows...dude does nothing.

An example of Biko’s ridiculousness. His gill net is about 2’ x 3’ and he puts it in 2’ deep water and is shocked it has not caught anything. Think about what they have shown of him: “forging” a knife, his awful singing, his “garden” of replanting mushrooms or something, pushing a bone through his nose, swimming across the bay to another island and spending 20 minutes there and declaring there is no hunting there, his awful shelter. If he wins, I won’t watch Alone until next season!

I wish fake accent girl could have gotten her clothesline net to work. Seemed like a great idea and considering she almost died trying to do it, it’s a shame we couldn’t see it work. She drives me nuts, but I think she’s pretty smart! After all of her effort digging out her shelter, I wonder if it has really produced the warmer shelter she was striving for? 

I like Clay’s recent moving of his gill net off of that big rock. I think that will produce some fish. 

i dunno, fake english girl expended a ton of energy on a shelter that almost killed her when she forgot to vent it properly and has eaten flowers.

other than that she hasn't done anything, either.

Colter and Clay were/are the frontrunners. 

that whole pesky failing health thing might be the only factor left to trip up Clay.

i dunno, fake english girl expended a ton of energy on a shelter that almost killed her when she forgot to vent it properly and has eaten flowers.

other than that she hasn't done anything, either.

Colter and Clay were/are the frontrunners. 

that whole pesky failing health thing might be the only factor left to trip up Clay.
I think you're grossly underselling what she's done out there. she hasn't been showing adequately hunting/fishing, for sure. but she's really good crafting and problem-solving, plus has shown a solid attitude when up against adversity. Those attributes, along with the hunting/fishing are the hallmarks of the best competitors, IMO. hell- she's walking around in what looks like fall clothing and hasn't once commented (on camera) about the cold.

I feel like the show often tips its tapping-out hand via editing when they show a contestant talking about how much they miss their family... felt like Clay was on that path recently- but considering he has time/energy to make arrow targets, and has mentioned iirc that he regularly spends time away from the family, I think he'll be ok.

I really thought Colter's boat and nets was going to be the thing that pushed him into front-runner territory. He had all the attributes in place and was the guy I'd probably enjoy hanging out with the most. 

Biko- his crafting sucks, even if he made that knife and holster... his fish trap, shelter and most things look like sloppy crap compared to his competitors. but he's growing on me- seems a likeable dude once you get past the annoying heavy metal singer hear me sing crap.

The show was over a month back when Clay got the deer.  They killed the lead so no drama other than contrived editing combined with dramatic music.  

The med-check episode cut off after Colter was evacuated.  This season only has 9 episodes, the last two seasons had 12 so this one will cut off early.

I bet we have two other medical evacuations this week which is the last episode.  More than likely they happened at the same time Colter was removed but they had to stretch it out.  This year was watching people starve which is boring.

Gotta say it be great for Lander Lady to win just to witness the Krista melt down, lol. 

The show was over a month back when Clay got the deer.  They killed the lead so no drama other than contrived editing combined with dramatic music.  

The med-check episode cut off after Colter was evacuated.  This season only has 9 episodes, the last two seasons had 12 so this one will cut off early.

I bet we have two other medical evacuations this week which is the last episode.  More than likely they happened at the same time Colter was removed but they had to stretch it out.  This year was watching people starve which is boring.

Gotta say it be great for Lander Lady to win just to witness the Krista melt down, lol. 

OMG

:lmao:

Yeah was wondering about that when Clay said he couldn't keep weight on.   He doesn't seem to do much in the way of foraging, and if his diet is just pure protein he's probably pretty malnourished.  Bummer if he gets forced out.

This season's location sucks.   I'd much rather watch a season where there is a decent amount of food and game and less restrictions (let's find a place where you they can eat a damn squirrel).   Seeing who can starve the longest after expending all of their energy on a shelter isn't that interesting.   

Users who are viewing this thread