What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon now running ads, commentary on greedy capitalism (1 Viewer)

Terpman22

Footballguy
So I flicked on Amazon last night, basically said "If you hate ads like we know you do, pay us $2.99 per month and they'll disappear"

And all I can think about is "How f****** greedy is this country?" We know who owns Amazon. We know he is the richest person on Earth. And still, no matter what, the money is just never enough. Probably going to cause me to cancel b/c honestly, Amazon Prime is not that great anyway, and with football season over, this s*** and f*** the f*** off for all I care. Reacher sucks! The format they have is not great. I'm just wondering how quickly others are going to follow suit.

Very annoyed.

So I flicked on Amazon last night, basically said "If you hate ads like we know you do, pay us $2.99 per month and they'll disappear"

And all I can think about is "How f****** greedy is this country?" We know who owns Amazon. We know he is the richest person on Earth. And still, no matter what, the money is just never enough. Probably going to cause me to cancel b/c honestly, Amazon Prime is not that great anyway, and with football season over, this s*** and f*** the f*** off for all I care. Reacher sucks! The format they have is not great. I'm just wondering how quickly others are going to follow suit.

Very annoyed.
You realize Amazon is also a publicly traded company that has a duty to its stockholders? I mean I don't like what's happening in the streaming field either, but it's not necessarily individual greed here. The BoD/CEO etc. of any company can't just sit stagnant and say "we have enough money."

Very annoyed.
You realize Amazon is also a publicly traded company that has a duty to its stockholders? I mean I don't like what's happening in the streaming field either, but it's not necessarily individual greed here. The BoD/CEO etc. of any company can't just sit stagnant and say "we have enough money."
:goodposting:

Companies exist for one purpose only - to make profit.

Under capitalism, they take their cues from the market. If this $2.99 increase is a bad idea, it's up to the consumer market to tell them so by saying "no" to the increase as well as "no" to the ads.

Very annoyed.

Under capitalism, they take their cues from the market. If this $2.99 increase is a bad idea, it's up to the consumer market to tell them so by saying "no" to the increase as well as "no" to the ads.
So somewhere along the line that changed, right? It wasn't always "Profit over everything" Companies can make a profit while still ya know, not being a greed machine hell bent on capturing every single cent, right?

That is kind of where I'm coming from.

Very annoyed.
I get it, I hate seeing ads on pay subscriptions but that ship sailed a few years ago when I forget who started doing it. Amazon is way late to the party on this so kinda knew it was coming. Is what it is :shrug:

Very annoyed.
How important is your 401k/IRA? Like how that money keeps increasing? So does everybody else. I bet somewhere in those mutual funds is a few Amazon stocks.

This is a calculated decision. They know x number of people will cancel due to the ads and/or the 2.99 increase. They also know x number of people will pay the 2.99. They ran the numbers, and estimate a profit in the long run is to be made by this move. They also know this is just the beginning. In a year or two, they will increase the ads shown. They understand the vast majority of people pay the 2.99 will just accept the increase in ads. Human nature. Thus, they gain more profit.

Thus, your IRA shows a gain.

Very annoyed.

So somewhere along the line that changed, right? It wasn't always "Profit over everything" Companies can make a profit while still ya know, not being a greed machine hell bent on capturing every single cent, right?

Not really. Corporations have always been that way. That's why we need to keep them in check through 1) our wallets, just as you are doing, and 2) through regulation / antitrust cases.

So somewhere along the line that changed, right?

Corporations were sort of frowned upon by the Founders, and 18th and 19th century law pretty much only allowed them for public works. The idea that one was not personally liable for one's own decisions was viewed as circumspect and only began to lose its import when we started valuing efficiency and technocratic needs over individual ones.

So yeah, it changed.

Last edited:
"Greed" is just a word people use when they don't like the price of something or depending on which end of the "greed" the person is on.

"Greed" is just a word people use when they don't like the price of something or depending on which end of the "greed" the person is on.
So you didn't think Rockefeller was greedy at all, he was just setting the prices of oil so low that it just kind of coincided with his competitors going out of business, and then it was a coincidence the price went up when the competition was gone.

We can quibble over definitions but in my book greed is doing everything possible - including the illegal and unethical - to achieve dominance. So yeah, I'd call people like Rockefeller "greedy".

Increasing the price of something isn't illegal or unethical. It's just a business strategy. The Post Office isn't greedy when they increase the price of stamps - it's just a business decision.

The Amazon case just feels weird because they appear to be creating the problem they want the customer to pay for but are selling it as "value added".

I'd assume Amazon's streaming service is a business unit within Amazon and like all business units they're expected to be profitable.

Its funny looking back a few years when I thought cutting the cable and using ala cart streaming services was going to save me money and make the entertainment consumption part of my life simpler and more enjoyable. Looking back now, I think the most fun and most productive era of my life was when I was a young professional and didn't have a television for the first few years after graduating.

Very annoyed.
How important is your 401k/IRA? Like how that money keeps increasing? So does everybody else. I bet somewhere in those mutual funds is a few Amazon stocks.

This is a calculated decision. They know x number of people will cancel due to the ads and/or the 2.99 increase. They also know x number of people will pay the 2.99. They ran the numbers, and estimate a profit in the long run is to be made by this move. They also know this is just the beginning. In a year or two, they will increase the ads shown. They understand the vast majority of people pay the 2.99 will just accept the increase in ads. Human nature. Thus, they gain more profit.

Thus, your IRA shows a gain.
I was going to say the same and also agree with @beer 30 (Amazon is one of the last to have pay for no ads). Bezos owns way less of the company than the public. Apple, Amazon, Google, Meta, Microsoft, etc. are a big reason why everyone’s 401ks are much better know than they were the decade or so. If companies didn’t go for profit, nobody would be able to retire.

Its funny looking back a few years when I thought cutting the cable and using ala cart streaming services was going to save me money and make the entertainment consumption part of my life simpler and more enjoyable. Looking back now, I think the most fun and most productive era of my life was when I was a young professional and didn't have a television for the first few years after graduating.
Playing off this a bit, how long before it comes back full circle? I've had Peacock/Apple/Max/Prime/Youtube TV/Hulu all at some point in the last 8-12 months. Peacock/Max/Prime are yearly, rest are as I wanted to watch something. All in, they are getting close to what I was paying for cable when we cut the cord. And now they are all running ads so getting away from commercials is over.

I'm just surprised the fee is as low as it is. They make much more money from ads. The fees will increase until everyone is back on ads.
Full circle!

So you didn't think Rockefeller was greedy at all, he was just setting the prices of oil so low that it just kind of coincided with his competitors going out of business, and then it was a coincidence the price went up when the competition was gone.
I don't really know about Rockefeller. And I'm not trying to imply that there aren't any greedy people out there. I just think the way the word is typically used takes all the meaning out of the word. If gas prices go up, people say it's because of greedy oil execs...as if they weren't greedy yesterday when prices were lower. Did they all of sudden become greedy or is there another explanation for the change in price? As annoyed as I was to see Amazon is charging extra to avoid ads, I don't put that even remotely close to a meaningful definition of greed.

Playing off this a bit, how long before it comes back full circle? I've had Peacock/Apple/Max/Prime/Youtube TV/Hulu all at some point in the last 8-12 months. Peacock/Max/Prime are yearly, rest are as I wanted to watch something. All in, they are getting close to what I was paying for cable when we cut the cord. And now they are all running ads so getting away from commercials is over.
I wonder the same. I get Prime and Max for free so I don’t worry about those and I do Hulu Live, which includes Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ so no plans to change that although at about $75 or so, it’s gone up although maybe not too much with bundle.

I wonder about Netflix as it doesn’t seem quite as necessary. Peacock and Paramount+ are ones that I do through Prime so I have cancelled and restarted those as needed. Only have Peacock now for a couple shows, Oppenheimer and football. I’m planning to turn it off after we watch Oppenheimer.

It is getting close to Dish now for me, but still a good bit less and much better UI. Also, since I’ve been streaming, I wait more for movies so that kind of lessens the price hikes.

I almost feel like I’d rather just have individual services and be able to drop the Hulu live. Peacock, Paramount+, Prime, ESPN+ cover a decent amount of sports. Prime also bought some regional sports network company so it’ll be interesting what that means. Give me the sports I want live plus movies and shows I want and I don’t need a cable or Dish alternative per se.

Very annoyed.
I get it, I hate seeing ads on pay subscriptions but that ship sailed a few years ago when I forget who started doing it. Amazon is way late to the party on this so kinda knew it was coming. Is what it is :shrug:

I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. Cable TV has been doing this almost since its inception.

I was pretty annoyed when it popped up last night for the first time but honestly it wasn’t too bad. Only like a 15 second commercial a few times, much better than some of the other ads on services like Hulu (2 mins 4 or 5 times of the same dang commercials every time) or Paramount+. No way I am paying extra on top of an existing Prime membership though, thats BS.

I was pretty annoyed when it popped up last night for the first time but honestly it wasn’t too bad. Only like a 15 second commercial a few times, much better than some of the other ads on services like Hulu (2 mins 4 or 5 times of the same dang commercials every time) or Paramount+. No way I am paying extra on top of an existing Prime membership though, thats BS.
Hulu just sucks. And I'd almost be tolerant of it but its the same three ads all day everyday for every freaking show you watch, makes you want to go play in traffic. Mix it up a little, if I see another Hello Fresh commercial with a dude squealing, "oh my god, it tastes so good!" I'm going to find an exec at Hulu and go Cousin Eddie on them!

You all can thank me later for that ear worm I just planted.

I'm just surprised the fee is as low as it is. They make much more money from ads. The fees will increase until everyone is back on ads.
Full circle!
Well, someone once told me that time is a flat circle.

And all I can think about is "How f****** greedy is this country?" We know who owns Amazon. We know he is the richest person on Earth. And still, no matter what, the money is just never enough. Probably going to cause me to cancel b/c honestly, Amazon Prime is not that great anyway, and with football season over, this s*** and f*** the f*** off for all I care. Reacher sucks! T

i was with you until the end

BOO THIS MAN

And all I can think about is "How f****** greedy is this country?" We know who owns Amazon. We know he is the richest person on Earth. And still, no matter what, the money is just never enough. Probably going to cause me to cancel b/c honestly, Amazon Prime is not that great anyway, and with football season over, this s*** and f*** the f*** off for all I care. Reacher sucks! T

BOO THIS MAN
LMAO. I talked in that thread, but just, Season 1 was decent/intriguing. Season 2 was like that scene in Hot Shots Part Deux, where Sheen and whoever the other guy are killing all the bad guys and there is a meter showing the level of death/equivalency to other action films. I just felt like they said to some degree for season 2 "Let him kill everyone who cares"

This is the scene btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aqopEQr7wI

if I see another Hello Fresh commercial with a dude squealing, "oh my god, it tastes so good!" I'm going to find an exec at Hulu and go Cousin Eddie on them!

You all can thank me later for that ear worm I just planted.

The great thing about pretty much having disconnected from the culture writ large is that I have no idea what you're talking about or how that earworm might sound. Instead, I just get an image of that pajama boy from the Obamacare years saying something high-pitched and girl-like.

But back to the main point. If the show is good enough, I can put up with ads. Problem is, I haven't seen a show that would qualify as "good enough" since I would down twelvers every night and bingewatch shows on F/X or whatever station I was bingewatching (I've bingewatched entire shows that I can't even remember that I watched at all). I think I signed an online petition to keep "Chuck" on the air, which says something pretty unpleasant about my taste back then.

mopey chuck meets yvonne strahovski and mopes the whole time she's his girlfwend

I also got through the first year of Friday Night Lights, but that bovinely inspired Amy Schumer ruined it for me with her sketch comedy send-up of it. Shows what my tastes were back then. And how long it's been since I really binge watched a show.

Very annoyed.

Not really. Corporations have always been that way. That's why we need to keep them in check through 1) our wallets, just as you are doing, and 2) through regulation / antitrust cases.
Not totally true. The profit as moral objective really took hold in the 70s with Milton Friedman and then spread throughout business schools and corporations and many became indoctrinated. Prior to that, corporations in this country generally looked at themselves somewhat differently, as having a certain civic responsibility. Which is not to say that there weren’t plenty of greedy people around always, just that the corporate philosophy of profits above all else has become more and more distilled and refined after the 70s.

Very annoyed.
Fortunately you have the freedom and right not to pay it.

Very annoyed.
Fortunately you have the freedom and right not to pay it.
And the freedom to b**** about it as well. I guess my point is overall lol "It doesn't have to be like this" And in this game we call "Capitalism" I am sure the next big thing to come around and offer "ad free entertainment" will at some point once the masses revolt, sorta.

While I'm on this I got a notice from HBO or...err...MAX and they said something to the effect:

"New changes to your service!" And I was all like excited and it basically was "You get 2 people to use your account now instead of 3"

Thanks!

Very annoyed.

Not totally true. The profit as moral objective really took hold in the 70s with Milton Friedman and then spread throughout business schools and corporations and many became indoctrinated. Prior to that, corporations in this country generally looked at themselves somewhat differently, as having a certain civic responsibility. Which is not to say that there weren’t plenty of greedy people around always, just that the corporate philosophy of profits above all else has become more and more distilled and refined after the 70s.
I've heard that said before but I'm not sure I believe that. I don't think that just because Friedman articulated it that it became true. It's not like he gave them permission to be more amoral (if those words even go together).

@GordonGekko to the white courtesy phone. He may have some thoughts on capitalism, greed, and the upward surge of mankind.
Greed is good. Greed is right. Greed works.

Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit

And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

Full circle!
Just as a reference point here as to why this is happening. Netflix has been going gangbusters. Their ad-supported tier is quite popular. And, get this, their $7 with-ads tier is more profitable per sub than their $16 no-ads tier. So, yeah, Amazon is adding ads.

Thank the ****wads who signed up for the $7 Netflix tier.

Very annoyed.

I've heard that said before but I'm not sure I believe that. I don't think that just because Friedman articulated it that it became true. It's not like he gave them permission to be more amoral (if those words even go together).

Sounds like just the same old nostalgia about the good ole days to me. Companies lied, cheated, and stole as much as they could, greed has always been rampant. The robber barons of the 19th century have already been mentioned and the antitrust laws designed to fight them. I didn’t see a mention of things like “company towns” or union busters dating from over 100 years ago. Some of the earliest documented financial scams are as far back as the 17th century. Companies would pollute like crazy so bad the EPA was created in the 70’s. Tons of companies knew cigarettes caused cancer for years and tried to market youth cigarettes to get them addicted since they were killing their older customers. Asbestos was linked to causing cancer as early as the 1930’s and tons of companies covered up and spread misinformation about it for decades afterwards. Ford put out the Pinto in 1971 despite knowing it would burst into flames if rear-ended and made famous thanks to landmark cases their “cost benefit analysis” that it was cheaper to pay victims families and lawsuits than recall and fix their cars and save lives. Bribery laws came into being in the 70’s thanks to Watergate investigations revealing that loads of US companies kept slush funds to routinely bribe officials foreign and domestic. Insider trading laws were created in the 1930’s but were toothless until additional laws were needed in the 60’s. Lockhead almost went bankrupt in the late 60’s after it was found to have routinely bribed foreign officials dating back to the 1950’s to buy their planes. Scandal after scandal after scandal.

Thanks to awareness and new laws it seems like it happens more now but thats because companies actually get caught and held accountable (sometimes.) Different Administrations increase laws and penalties and others relax them and the wheel turns on and on…

Very annoyed.

OK, then I'll revise my statement and say it's been that way my whole life.

Very annoyed.

People have touched on this, but this is how the system is set up, and it's been that way ever since there's been a stock market.

AMZN has a p/e ratio of 83. That means shareholders are buying/holding the stock because they expect enormous growth. If Amazon decided it was happy with its current profit and just wanted to repeat that same profit every quarter going forward, the stock would fall by 80%. Meanwhile they are legally obligated to act in the best interest of their shareholders, which that clearly would not be doing.

I agree that the system SHOULD be set up where if you're making $10B every quarter that's enough and you can just be happy making that much every quarter. But it's not set up that way.

We do have a normal check and balance for this. It's called recession. The way capitalism and the stock market works especially for tech companies is a company comes out of the gates and focuses first on user growth, providing a great user experience at good value such that people want the product. Shareholders see a growing userbase and pile in, anticipating that will eventually translate to big profit. Eventually it's time to pay the piper and extract that big profit, and that means cutting costs (making the user experience worse) and raising prices. Then you hit a point of diminishing returns where you can't really grow any more (everyone that is going to sign up for Netflix has already done it, there aren't many people left that don't already have it to acquire) so you have to REALLY start squeezing the customer.

Eventually, we hit tough times (a recession) and people start scaling back their spending. Now, with users declining, trying to retain and re-grow customers is back on the table and the company has to get back to that user growth/retention phase where they are making the user experience better and making the product cheaper. Investors reset their expectations back to user growth, and the company can then get away with focusing on user acquisition/retention again.

The problem is we skipped our last recession. It started looking like it might be on the horizon in 2018 and we slashed interest rates to dodge it. And it's been a never ending stream of stimulus ever since (and even before, as well) to keep dodging that recession even longer. That's why if you look at almost any product, it's simultaneously gotten both worse and more expensive. Companies have been in the "squeeze the customer" phase for far too long. Until we get another recession, it won't change. Prices will keep going up, while the user experience goes down.

Very annoyed.

People have touched on this, but this is how the system is set up, and it's been that way ever since there's been a stock market.

AMZN has a p/e ratio of 83. That means shareholders are buying/holding the stock because they expect enormous growth. If Amazon decided it was happy with its current profit and just wanted to repeat that same profit every quarter going forward, the stock would fall by 80%. Meanwhile they are legally obligated to act in the best interest of their shareholders, which that clearly would not be doing.

I agree that the system SHOULD be set up where if you're making $10B every quarter that's enough and you can just be happy making that much every quarter. But it's not set up that way.

We do have a normal check and balance for this. It's called recession. The way capitalism and the stock market works especially for tech companies is a company comes out of the gates and focuses first on user growth, providing a great user experience at good value such that people want the product. Shareholders see a growing userbase and pile in, anticipating that will eventually translate to big profit. Eventually it's time to pay the piper and extract that big profit, and that means cutting costs (making the user experience worse) and raising prices. Then you hit a point of diminishing returns where you can't really grow any more (everyone that is going to sign up for Netflix has already done it, there aren't many people left that don't already have it to acquire) so you have to REALLY start squeezing the customer.

Eventually, we hit tough times (a recession) and people start scaling back their spending. Now, with users declining, trying to retain and re-grow customers is back on the table and the company has to get back to that user growth/retention phase where they are making the user experience better and making the product cheaper. Investors reset their expectations back to user growth, and the company can then get away with focusing on user acquisition/retention again.

The problem is we skipped our last recession. It started looking like it might be on the horizon in 2018 and we slashed interest rates to dodge it. And it's been a never ending stream of stimulus ever since (and even before, as well) to keep dodging that recession even longer. That's why if you look at almost any product, it's simultaneously gotten both worse and more expensive. Companies have been in the "squeeze the customer" phase for far too long. Until we get another recession, it won't change. Prices will keep going up, while the user experience goes down.

I guess I'll take two 15 second ads over a global recession

BOO THIS MAN
LMAO. I talked in that thread, but just, Season 1 was decent/intriguing. Season 2 was like that scene in Hot Shots Part Deux, where Sheen and whoever the other guy are killing all the bad guys and there is a meter showing the level of death/equivalency to other action films. I just felt like they said to some degree for season 2 "Let him kill everyone who cares"

This is the scene btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aqopEQr7wI
Season 2 did get wild with the murders killings, but still a fun ride imo.

Just started a rewatch of S1, ad 1 of 2 came on, reminded me to cancel.

Definitely seems like an unneeded nudge for Prime members. The value proposition has declined as 2 day shipping is more common with other vendors and they have allowed their market-place to be flooded with crappy drop-shipped/knock-off products. The free Wondery+ is still nice, but they really have me questioning that $140/year cost.

A lot of people drawing broad, sweeping conclusions about the path of history based on one company charging you $3 more to get rid of ads.

I'm disappointed with how the market for streaming services has developed. These days, it feels like my solution for everything is "IP reform," and that could potentially help a bit here. If it were up to me, everything would hit the public domain after 30 years or so, which would allow common access to a huge library of older stuff. That's not really a solution to the over-proliferation of these things, but it would help a bit.

I also find it odd that so many consumers are okay with ads if it means a small (to me) price cut. I think I coughed up for paid Hulu after my third or fourth ad and I've never looked back. I would drop a service before I consent to ads on Netflix. I didn't anticipate that other people would be more tolerant of ads than I am, but obviously they are, and firms are responding accordingly. That's bad for me, but it works out well for more price-sensitive folks. (I benefit from this same phenomenon when it comes to things like airlines unbundling ticketing and checked baggage).

At the end of the day, though, capitalism gave you the internet as you know it today. It produced streaming and e-commerce, both of which are science fiction relative to the 1980s. I reacted negatively to this particular decision by Netflix too, but sheesh guys. A little perspective maybe.

Jeff Bezos should make a commercial, where he just looks in the camera and says, What? What are you gonna do about it? Oh, you gonna cancel? Really? Your wife know about this? Yeahhhhhh, that's what I thought, you ain't gonna do NOTHING!!

And at the end he jumps into a pool filled with money and swims around like Scrooge McDuck.
No kidding around, I almost included a Scrooge McDuck reference in that post.

:hifive:

But back to the main point. If the show is good enough, I can put up with ads. Problem is, I haven't seen a show that would qualify as "good enough" since I would down twelvers every night and bingewatch shows on F/X or whatever station I was bingewatching (I've bingewatched entire shows that I can't even remember that I watched at all). I think I signed an online petition to keep "Chuck" on the air, which says something pretty unpleasant about my taste back then.
I did this last year when I powered through six seasons of Justified on Hulu (hence my earlier comment). I had started the series years ago but lost it when we cancelled cable and always wanted to finish it. Show held up well and I'm a hug Raylan Givens fan so it worked but those ads are seared into my memory now.

Users who are viewing this thread