What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime Video will soon come with ads (1 Viewer)

Ok cranky. It’s funny because teams go up and down but why would you complain about the Eagles/Vikings and 49ers/Giants. Before the season that was 3 division winners and one playoff team. You get Hurts, CMC, Barkley, AJ Brown, D Smith, Deebo, Jefferson, Bosa, etc.

Sorry man, if you don’t enjoy it, it doesn’t mean it wasn’t good content
We have decades of proof that Thursday Night Football is a bad product. This is not a hot take.
History is history. They had articles about improving the matchups and for the most part it was a good lineup. https://www.nfl.com/schedules/thursday-night-football/
Sucks that Rodgers is out of it would have been a way better schedule than the old TNF.

I like Prime Video and I'll pay extra for ad-free. sorry
Really, the people who have Prime but don't watch enough P.Video to care about ads should thank you if this helps keep Amazon from raising the general Prime fee. A $36 price hike targeting only one Prime service they don't really care much about is better than the $20 increase last year on the whole membership.

Other than Maisel I can’t remember the last time I watched something on prime. In my however many years of having it I think that’s the only show I’ve watched. Great show though.
Yeah and I don't think any of my Amazon orders needed to be there in two days.

I don't think Prime is a very good deal for me.
this is where I am at. Its just no longer worth it

Other than Maisel I can’t remember the last time I watched something on prime. In my however many years of having it I think that’s the only show I’ve watched. Great show though.
Really, I love prime shows. Jack Ryan finished solid. Love The Boys, Invincible, LOTR, Peripheral (so annoyed they cancelled it due to strike after picking up season 2) and I even enjoyed Wheel of Time, which it sounds likes it’s been better this season. Also, The Expanse was awesome and unlike GOT, I do plan to rewatch that whole series at some point. I want to forget a bit more. I’m sure I’m missing more like movies, but I’d give up Max easily and I’d have a tough time deciding with Netflix. Max and Prime are free to me so luckily don’t have to decide. Netflix is definitely something I might drop and then pick back up when the last season of stranger things comes out.
Additionally, I've enjoyed Top Gear/Grand Tour, Clarkson's Farm, Bosch, Patriot, Catastrophe, Air, Reacher, Upload, plus a lot of random movies and kids stuff. I think the service is underrated and is probably up there with Disney and Netflix for most watched streamers in my house.
Reacher has been a nice surprise. IMO they have made a mistake in taking so long for season 2.

It’s totally worth it to me. It’s under $12 a month and I’d pay that for Prime Video regardless of how much I order from them.

It’s totally worth it to me. It’s under $12 a month and I’d pay that for Prime Video regardless of how much I order from them.
Have you ever looked at the difference in cost/time for having/not-having Prime?

I order plenty not on AZ and I never thought to myself I MUST HAVE something faster.

In addition, Prime isnt always "2 days". Its kinda a joke. And then it doesnt come in 2 days, how do they reward you? Answer? They dont.

Have you ever looked at the difference in cost/time for having/not-having Prime?

I order plenty not on AZ and I never thought to myself I MUST HAVE something faster.

In addition, Prime isnt always "2 days". Its kinda a joke. And then it doesnt come in 2 days, how do they reward you? Answer? They dont.
I may be the only one, but I have thousands upon thousands of pictures backed up with Amazon, which is unlimited. Everything gets uploaded so it's not lost in case of catastrophe at home. That's worth a good bit to me - a separate service for that definitely costs.

Sometimes it’s one day

We've almost come full circle at this point.
Seriously, lets go back to free over air
I did this for probably 8/10 years. I only got YouTube tv so I didn’t have to worry about getting a good signal and or wires showing when we have company/holidays. (I used those cheap flat antennas you hide behind the tv.)

I can buy an antenna and controller for the roof for under $100. The entire house has been wired for cable since the 80s so it’s just plug and play.

I’m strongly considering doing this soon.

I did this for probably 8/10 years. I only got YouTube tv so I didn’t have to worry about getting a good signal and or wires showing when we have company/holidays.

I can buy an antenna and controller for the roof for under $100. The entire house has been wired for cable since the 80s so it’s just plug and play.

I tried it. Unfortunately, I dont get good signal from the antennea. Even got one of those motorized ones in the attic. Im in central MA and in between Boston and NH. Sucked

I did this for probably 8/10 years. I only got YouTube tv so I didn’t have to worry about getting a good signal and or wires showing when we have company/holidays.

I tried it. Unfortunately, I dont get good signal from the antennea. Even got one of those motorized ones in the attic. Im in central MA and in between Boston and NH. Sucked

That sucks. I have a giant one on the roof that the previous owners used but I, (like an idiot,)disconnected it when I first moved in here 21 years ago.

I get good reception with the cheap ones but I have to (manually) move them around for different stations.

Reactions: JAA
If you have Prime it will still be no commercials with no extra charge. (For now).
Well that's over (soon).

Starting January 29, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time.

Hmmm, no mention about keeping the cost of Prime the same. I can't recall when the last increase happened, but I'd bet on another one this year.
It's too bad this ad revenue didn't come soon enough to keep Wheel of Time from sucking.

Prime was $147 and my annual ends in October. I'll be keeping track until then to see how quickly Prime packages arrive. To be honest, I don't really need it; it's just a nice to have.

W/r/t what you get for your money:
Prime is a very compelling value. Prime members enjoy a wide range of shopping, savings, and entertainment benefits, including:
  • More than 300 million items are available with free Prime shipping and tens of millions of the most popular items are available with free Same-Day or One-Day Delivery.
  • Access to exclusive and broad streaming video content (including Prime Video exclusives like The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, The Boys, Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan, Citadel, The Wheel of Time, Reacher, and The Summer I Turned Pretty, as well as blockbuster movies such as Air, Creed III, Dungeons & Dragons, Candy Cane Lane with Eddie Murphy, and exclusive live sports including NFL Thursday Night Football).
  • Access to Prime Video Channels, which provides an unmatched selection of subscription channels like Max, Paramount+ with SHOWTIME, BET+, MGM+, ViX+, Crunchyroll, PBS KIDS, NBA League Pass, MLB.TV, and STARZ—with no extra apps to download, and no cable required. Customers only pay for the ones they want, and can cancel anytime.
  • The ability to use your Prime shopping benefits—like fast, free delivery, a seamless checkout experience, 24/7 live chat support, and hassle-free returns—on online stores beyond Amazon.com with Buy with Prime.
  • Exclusive deals and shopping events like Prime Day.
  • Ad-free listening of 100 million songs and millions of podcast episodes with Amazon Music.
  • Prescription medications as low as $1 per month and fast, free shipping from Amazon Pharmacy.
  • Access to unlimited eligible generic prescription medications for only $5 per month (including free shipping) with RxPass from Amazon Pharmacy.
  • High-quality health care from One Medical for only $9 per month (or $99 annually), with the option to add up to five additional memberships for the family for only $6 per month (or $66 annually) each.
  • Free two-hour Fresh grocery delivery on orders over $100 (and delivery charges between $6.95 to $9.95 for orders less than $100), and in-store savings on select groceries at Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods Market stores across the U.S.
  • Unlimited photo storage with Amazon Photos.
  • Gaming benefits with Prime Gaming.
  • More than 3,000 books and magazines with Prime Reading.
  • A free, one-year Grubhub+ membership trial valued at $120 per year, offering unlimited $0 delivery fees on orders over $12.
I've bolded what I use it for. As someone else previously stated, having to sit through commercials + the dreck games they offer, TNF very, very rarely gets played at my house.

All-in-all, I think I'd really only miss The Boys. :shrug:

We order a massive amount of stuff through Amazon, so I'll probably keep Prime and shell out the extra cash to keep it watchable (commercial free). Still leaning toward dropping Netflix.

$12.50 a month for Prime ad free.

I use Amazon for 95% of our shopping
I watch plenty of stuff on Prime Video
I use Prime Music

Outstanding value for our needs.

I get Max free thru AT&T

The only pure streaming service I pay for is Netflix which we also watch a ton on.

I dropped Disney Plus for good on December 27th I found zero value in it. The Star War shows ran their course quite quickly.

I have 2 months left for free Apple TV and am binging everything I can on it that interests me.

Had Peacock for .99 cents a month for 12 months....that ended November 27th so they are done.

Netflix
Prime
Max

The big three for us.

I take it the extra cost to keep out ads only applies to Amazon original content. They already show a lot of content via free-vee (think that is the correct name) that already have ads. If it was ad free for all content I would pay the extra but not worth it to me for the few shows which are Amazon originals. Anyone know for sure what is included in the ad free content?

I take it the extra cost to keep out ads only applies to Amazon original content. They already show a lot of content via free-vee (think that is the correct name) that already have ads. If it was ad free for all content I would pay the extra but not worth it to me for the few shows which are Amazon originals. Anyone know for sure what is included in the ad free content?
Very good point. So Reacher will go from 50+ minutes of ad free content to < 40min of content.

Pass

Very good point. So Reacher will go from 50+ minutes of ad free content to < 40min of content.

Pass
It could but I am guessing it will go to 60+ minutes with ads. Will find out in a month.

Pass
It could but I am guessing it will go to 60+ minutes with ads. Will find out in a month.
maybe, and I hope you're correct, but I'm betting on greed and them double dipping. ads + less content.

If you have Prime it will still be no commercials with no extra charge. (For now).
Well that's over (soon).

Starting January 29, Prime Video movies and TV shows will include limited advertisements. This will allow us to continue investing in compelling content and keep increasing that investment over a long period of time.

Hmmm, no mention about keeping the cost of Prime the same. I can't recall when the last increase happened, but I'd bet on another one this year.
The last hike was announced the end of last year and went into effect in February of this year. The one before that was four years earlier. The rest of the paragraph you quoted implies that there won't be one this year, although it doesn't really make it clear there won't be one at all, but just that it's not happening now.
We aim to have meaningfully fewer ads than linear TV and other streaming TV providers. No action is required from you, and there is no change to the current price of your Prime membership.

I use Prime Music

Outstanding value for our needs.

I get Max free thru AT&T

The only pure streaming service I pay for is Netflix which we also watch a ton on.

I dropped Disney Plus for good on December 27th I found zero value in it. The Star War shows ran their course quite quickly.

I have 2 months left for free Apple TV and am binging everything I can on it that interests me.

Had Peacock for .99 cents a month for 12 months....that ended November 27th so they are done.

Netflix
Prime
Max

The big three for us.
Same 3 for us

People pay for Prime Video only? I didn't even think that was an option. I barely watch it and cant imagine paying only for that.
Yes, I did. I had no need for any of the "benefits" of "prime" and choosing video only saved me $6/mo and once I viewed what I wanted to watch I cancelled. Free shipping on $35 (used to be $25) is easy to get to and I don't care if it's 2 days or 10 days usually.

I use Prime Music
All my pictures are backed up there - unlimited storage. That said we don't watch much on it, so plan to see what it looks like before coughing up more monies.

I know $3 a month doesn't amount to anything, but this **** is adding up, so I'm holding strong as is. I don't watch enough on Prime to warrant it.

Users who are viewing this thread