What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Amazon Prime Video will soon come with ads (1 Viewer)

Amazon Prime Video will soon come with ads, or a $2.99 monthly charge to dodge them

This will be the straw which breaks my fat *** back. I will be done
Why? Ads don’t even bother me much. There’s so much content that I like watching any movie I can on a bunch of free sites.

Making shows and movies is expensive, inflation is there too. We saw it with Netflix and Disney+ cutting back a bit. Prime video is free if you already pay for prime, which I do and likely always will. To me, I’ve always seen all the Prime content (freevee is them too) as a free bonus and there’s a few shows that are great.

Amazon Prime Video will soon come with ads, or a $2.99 monthly charge to dodge them

Why? Ads don’t even bother me much

Amazon's ad algorithm will though, guaranteed, it is so unbelievably repetitive that if I get an ad break on one of their platforms without a plug for the Far Cry audio book, or Audible in general, I consider it a minor miracle on a par with Rashaad Penny playing more than three quarters without getting injured

Amazon's ad algorithm will though, guaranteed, it is so unbelievably repetitive that if I get an ad break on one of their platforms without a plug for the Far Cry audio book, or Audible in general, I consider it a minor miracle on a par with Rashaad Penny playing more than three quarters without getting injured
And that's similar to ads on Hulu. Progressive dude talking to Flo about his client Barbie... over and over and over.

I'd be a little more okay with Amazon's decision if I thought it was more about getting ad revenue. But I expect the plan will be to play the same annoying ads over and over (a good portion being free-for-them ads for other Amazon products) to convince more people to pony up the extra $36 a year.

And that's similar to ads on Hulu. Progressive dude talking to Flo about his client Barbie... over and over and over.

I'd be a little more okay with Amazon's decision if I thought it was more about getting ad revenue. But I expect the plan will be to play the same annoying ads over and over (a good portion being free-for-them ads for other Amazon products) to convince more people to pony up the extra $36 a year.

Don’t forget about bent carrots

We've almost come full circle at this point.
Paying a monthly subscription fee to watch channels with ads? Now where have we seen this before . . .?
Not really the same. This is solely a fee to not watch ads. That said, I have gone to the I’m fine to pay less for ads. I still pay way less than Dish Network for way more and way easier to use. I watched My Chauffeur and Vision Quest recently. The latter was free with ads but still awesome. Unless Blockbuster is reopening with an 80s theme, I’d have a real tough time doing that without streaming.

I don't mind the ads. Gives me time to go take a whiz.

Hint - most streaming services have a button called "pause", which works in much the same way as it did with VHS players 40 years ago
You’re doing it wrong. You go take a whiz and then you can rewind back to the end of the ad so you don’t have to watch it. I’ve gotten good at timing ads as well. If I’m eating lunch (WFH), I’ll do the throw away/clean up during the ads or starting the cooking, check dog’s bowls, check emails, etc. I will also always pick the 30 second interactive ad and click around for fun.

I don't mind the ads. Gives me time to go take a whiz.

Hint - most streaming services have a button called "pause", which works in much the same way as it did with VHS players 40 years ago
You’re doing it wrong. You go take a whiz and then you can rewind back to the end of the ad so you don’t have to watch it. I’ve gotten good at timing ads as well. If I’m eating lunch (WFH), I’ll do the throw away/clean up during the ads or starting the cooking, check dog’s bowls, check emails, etc. I will also always pick the 30 second interactive ad and click around for fun.

I read this way too fast the first time through and had to a double take on what it was you were doing to your dog.

Paying a monthly subscription fee to watch channels with ads? Now where have we seen this before . . .?
Not really the same. This is solely a fee to not watch ads.
But you're paying the subscription fee to watch the channels with ads. You're just okay with that because it's baked into the fee that includes other perks and you feel it's worth it (and it's yearly instead of monthly), but you're still paying for it. And some people without those other Prime perks pay for the Prime Video-only subscription, now (soon) with ads.

Reactions: JAA
Meh. I don't even consider Prime on the things I "subscribe" to. I have wife. My wife shops. We have credit card. She uses said credit card. Amazon fills all those buckets, I get free or different shipping or whatever it is now, and they just give me the video and music service. Ok. Whatever.

The ads do normally suck though.

Netflix's days are numbered if this keeps up. I currently have Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and Max. If I have to drop one, it's an easy call.
I wish. For some reason my family likes NF so I had to decide to axe Max or Criterion since I was the only one who watched those. :kicksrock:

Other than Maisel I can’t remember the last time I watched something on prime. In my however many years of having it I think that’s the only show I’ve watched. Great show though.

The Hims commercials on HULU are the ones that do it for me. I usually stream something when I'm working out in the morning and that's just not what I want to see that early in the morning...25 ****ing times.

Netflix's days are numbered if this keeps up. I currently have Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and Max. If I have to drop one, it's an easy call.
Which mobile carrier are you with?
I've got T-Mobile and they throw in Netflix for free. I think most all of the others throw in a streaming service as well. (IIRC Verizon = Disney and ATT&T = Apple TV)
Worth checking what you may already be getting for free.

Not really the same. This is solely a fee to not watch ads.
But you're paying the subscription fee to watch the channels with ads. You're just okay with that because it's baked into the fee that includes other perks and you feel it's worth it (and it's yearly instead of monthly), but you're still paying for it. And some people without those other Prime perks pay for the Prime Video-only subscription, now (soon) with ads.
I don’t consider it. It’s like the Thursday night football. It’s just there. With one son a couple hours away working and one son at college, we use it a ton so I’d have Prime regardless. Honestly, Prime has a bunch of stuff I like show wise so it’s well worth it. Not sure if I’d pay more for no-ads but I don’t really consider it. Just like my HBO Max. Comes with my AT&T service. I’m sure the cost was built in but I’m not cancelling my cell service.

Other than Maisel I can’t remember the last time I watched something on prime. In my however many years of having it I think that’s the only show I’ve watched. Great show though.
Yeah and I don't think any of my Amazon orders needed to be there in two days.

I don't think Prime is a very good deal for me.

Really, I love prime shows. Jack Ryan finished solid. Love The Boys, Invincible, LOTR, Peripheral (so annoyed they cancelled it due to strike after picking up season 2) and I even enjoyed Wheel of Time, which it sounds likes it’s been better this season. Also, The Expanse was awesome and unlike GOT, I do plan to rewatch that whole series at some point. I want to forget a bit more. I’m sure I’m missing more like movies, but I’d give up Max easily and I’d have a tough time deciding with Netflix. Max and Prime are free to me so luckily don’t have to decide. Netflix is definitely something I might drop and then pick back up when the last season of stranger things comes out.

So if you're subscribing to Prime anyway (like I will be) it's basically a $3/month increase. All the streaming services are increasing costs rather significantly at the moment so that's not particularly surprising.

Really, I love prime shows. Jack Ryan finished solid. Love The Boys, Invincible, LOTR, Peripheral (so annoyed they cancelled it due to strike after picking up season 2) and I even enjoyed Wheel of Time, which it sounds likes it’s been better this season. Also, The Expanse was awesome and unlike GOT, I do plan to rewatch that whole series at some point. I want to forget a bit more. I’m sure I’m missing more like movies, but I’d give up Max easily and I’d have a tough time deciding with Netflix. Max and Prime are free to me so luckily don’t have to decide. Netflix is definitely something I might drop and then pick back up when the last season of stranger things comes out.
All those shows you mentioned I haven’t watched any of them other than the boys, which I bailed on pretty quickly. Different strokes etc.

All those shows you mentioned I haven’t watched any of them other than the boys, which I bailed on pretty quickly. Different strokes etc.
If Prime had to rely on it's content, it would have been gone a long time ago.

Even the football they offer is the worst.

Hey, we have the NFL!!

oh dang really?

Yes! Thursday night games!!

oh....

Additionally, I've enjoyed Top Gear/Grand Tour, Clarkson's Farm, Bosch, Patriot, Catastrophe, Air, Reacher, Upload, plus a lot of random movies and kids stuff. I think the service is underrated and is probably up there with Disney and Netflix for most watched streamers in my house.

So if you're subscribing to Prime anyway (like I will be) it's basically a $3/month increase. All the streaming services are increasing costs rather significantly at the moment so that's not particularly surprising.
Someone posted above that it’s no charge still for no ads if you have overall Prime. Seems like it only affects Prime Video only folks.

Hey, we have the NFL!!

oh dang really?

oh....
Ok cranky. It’s funny because teams go up and down but why would you complain about the Eagles/Vikings and 49ers/Giants. Before the season that was 3 division winners and one playoff team. You get Hurts, CMC, Barkley, AJ Brown, D Smith, Deebo, Jefferson, Bosa, etc.

Sorry man, if you don’t enjoy it, it doesn’t mean it wasn’t good content.

Throwing shade at any of the streaming services over the other is silly. The reality is in a vacuum all of the streaming services are a pretty amazing deal. Obviously when you add them all up together the price starts to get out of hand but individually the content they deliver for the price is pretty insane. Any one of the modern streaming services is probably comparable to all of the premium channels combined in the past. And HBO existing in the past is the only reason it's even close.

None of them suck. They're all awesome. Everyone has different tastes on which they prefer but rotating through them so you're only subscribe to a few at a time and can focus on getting through a lot of shows from one or two of them at a time seems to be the way to go (which I think is why Amazon and some of the others have started dabbling in sports, so it's not as easy to just keep rotating in and out).

Heck even Paramount and Peacock have some pretty great content.

Someone posted above that it’s no charge still for no ads if you have overall Prime. Seems like it only affects Prime Video only folks.
Well I’m confused now. The article I read before I posted that clearly stated that Amazon prime users would not be charged, it was only those with prime video memberships. That article is no longer around and I can’t find another one saying the same. So now I’m not sure.

People pay for Prime Video only? I didn't even think that was an option. I barely watch it and cant imagine paying only for that.

Hey, we have the NFL!!

oh dang really?

oh....
Ok cranky. It’s funny because teams go up and down but why would you complain about the Eagles/Vikings and 49ers/Giants. Before the season that was 3 division winners and one playoff team. You get Hurts, CMC, Barkley, AJ Brown, D Smith, Deebo, Jefferson, Bosa, etc.

Sorry man, if you don’t enjoy it, it doesn’t mean it wasn’t good content.
Content is fine. The video quality last week was awful.

Sorry man, if you don’t enjoy it, it doesn’t mean it wasn’t good content
We have decades of proof that Thursday Night Football is a bad product. This is not a hot take.

It's cute when football fans pretend like they don't want more football, but TNF ratings have been pretty comparable with MNF ratings the last couple of years, so it's pretty clear most people do in fact like it.

I can't imagine going back to the days of having to wait 6 days between games every week.

It's cute when football fans pretend like they don't want more football, but TNF ratings have been pretty comparable with MNF ratings the last couple of years, so it's pretty clear most people do in fact like it.

I can't imagine going back to the days of having to wait 6 days between games every week.
I don't watch either!!!! Lol

Well I’m confused now. The article I read before I posted that clearly stated that Amazon prime users would not be charged, it was only those with prime video memberships. That article is no longer around and I can’t find another one saying the same. So now I’m not sure.

Seems like it's ALL Amazon Prime members to me too:

Users who are viewing this thread