What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I now make the rules… (1 Viewer)

currently an 18 year old that can be claimed as a dependent - maximum 4 year degree federal loans is ~30k total

Tailgating (as in driving too close) is a felony.
It's not personal - just drive faster.

(Seriously, I'm so guilty of this and I usually don't even realize I'm doing it but there's no evil intent behind it)
Agents of Satan often don't know they are.
At least I'm acknowledging that I do it and somewhat apologizing for it.

But, knowing that you're from Minnesota, I assume this happens to you because you're sitting in the left hand lane driving below the speed limit so...
Oh no. I understand why you'd say that but I'm already driving 10+ over, actually passing people, yet STILL getting tailgated. In that case I usually I get next to someone and then match their speed for a mile or so - just to irritate further the jabrony behind me.

Tailgating (as in driving too close) is a felony.
It's not personal - just drive faster.

(Seriously, I'm so guilty of this and I usually don't even realize I'm doing it but there's no evil intent behind it)
Agents of Satan often don't know they are.
At least I'm acknowledging that I do it and somewhat apologizing for it.

But, knowing that you're from Minnesota, I assume this happens to you because you're sitting in the left hand lane driving below the speed limit so...
Oh no. I understand why you'd say that but I'm already driving 10+ over, actually passing people, yet STILL getting tailgated. In that case I usually I get next to someone and then match their speed for a mile or so - just to irritate further the jabrony behind me.
:lmao:

Next time you do that, think, "Oh, that jabrony could be Woz from FBGs back in Minnesota for a visit."

1. Then how the hell do you expect thousands of students to attend college? I can understand maybe a mandatory lesson to the 18 year old about what this major life decision means, but just speaking personally I wouldn't be where I am now without the ability to attend good schools due to student loans.
Part of the consultation should include a discussion about what major the student is choosing and how that will affect the ability to payback the loan they are applying for. Getting a loan for a degree that will provide very little opportunity to earn money upon graduation to repay the loan and how that will affect life after college.

Illegal to lend people 17-18 year olds dozens of thousands of dollars for student loans.

Credit card MAX interest rate or maybe 5-6%. This 29 percent crap is ridiculous.

Allow ME to decide who gets sterilized............this is by far my most pressing order of business
Wow, I disagree with all of these...

1. Then how the hell do you expect thousands of students to attend college? I can understand maybe a mandatory lesson to the 18 year old about what this major life decision means, but just speaking personally I wouldn't be where I am now without the ability to attend good schools due to student loans.
2. Then it would make sense for people to default way more and credit cards probably cease to exist.
3. Obviously you're joking here, but forced sterilization has been deemed to be unconstitutional.
You have to read a lot of the suggestions in this thread as being "You know that thing that I don't like? Well, I'm going to wave my magic wand and it will go away tomorrow with no unanticipated second-order effects." They're mostly being offered in that spirit.

Illegal to lend people 17-18 year olds dozens of thousands of dollars for student loans.

Credit card MAX interest rate or maybe 5-6%. This 29 percent crap is ridiculous.

Allow ME to decide who gets sterilized............this is by far my most pressing order of business
Wow, I disagree with all of these...

2. Then it would make sense for people to default way more and credit cards probably cease to exist.
3. Obviously you're joking here, but forced sterilization has been deemed to be unconstitutional.
You have to read a lot of the suggestions in this thread as being "You know that thing that I don't like? Well, I'm going to wave my magic wand and it will go away tomorrow with no unanticipated second-order effects." They're mostly being offered in that spirit.
Fair point.

Part of the consultation should include a discussion about what major the student is choosing and how that will affect the ability to payback the loan they are applying for. Getting a loan for a degree that will provide very little opportunity to earn money upon graduation to repay the loan and how that will affect life after college.
I completely understand the point you're making here. However, I very much hold what I presume is a minority viewpoint that the "college experience" as I'll call it - be that the growth person experiences and the positive memories created - that comes with living and attending a good college is entirely worth the tens of thousands in cost and that the degree is just a bonus.

In other words, a degree that's useless in the marketplace still holds significant value because of the experience involved in earning that degree.

I completely understand the point you're making here. However, I very much hold what I presume is a minority viewpoint that the "college experience" as I'll call it - be that the growth person experiences and the positive memories created - that comes with living and attending a good college is entirely worth the tens of thousands in cost and that the degree is just a bonus.

In other words, a degree that's useless in the marketplace still holds significant value because of the experience involved in earning that degree.
I agree that the college experience has personal growth value. But it doesn't always translate to monetary value which is what you need to do in order to pay off that student loan. Growth experience doesn't necessarily help with that obligation. I would also argue you can get that same personal growth going to a school that doesn't cost $50K a year. The personal growth is more determined by the person than the location (or monetary cost).

The value of the loan should be somewhat tied to the degree (and expected earnings from said degree) rather than just a blank check to go to college for an underwater basketweaving degree.

This was a very good argument right up to the point when people started trying to stick taxpayers with their student loan bills. That gives the rest of us a say in what you get to major in.

This was a very good argument right up to the point when people started trying to stick taxpayers with their student loan bills. That gives the rest of us a say in what you get to major in.
To be clear, I'm not one of those people.* I took zero issues paying my student loans and never once thought I shouldn't have had to pay them back.

*Though I do support the government's contractual freedom to entice good candidates into public service positions with the guarantee of loan forgiveness if the person works X number of years.

An actual A la carte option for TV. If I want one channel I can pay for one channel. If I want five I can get five. Etc.
I was actually going to say something more like the exact opposite of this. We have way too many streaming services at the moment, and consumers collectively would be better off if most of them went away. We need fewer, but bigger and more comprehensive platforms, not more niche platforms that wall off content from everybody else.

Worth noting that "copyrights expire in 25 years" would allow all platforms to rebroadcast a massive amount of stuff for free. It would be duplicative across platforms, but that is good. Why shouldn't Neflix, Prime, and Max all have the rights to Jaws and Goodfellas? Stuff that old should be everywhere.
Too political so I’ll only say I disagree. Love you GB!

I agree that the college experience has personal growth value. But it doesn't always translate to monetary value which is what you need to do in order to pay off that student loan. Growth experience doesn't necessarily help with that obligation. I would also argue you can get that same personal growth going to a school that doesn't cost $50K a year. The personal growth is more determined by the person than the location (or monetary cost).

The value of the loan should be somewhat tied to the degree (and expected earnings from said degree) rather than just a blank check to go to college for an underwater basketweaving degree.
This is utter nonsense. Trying to parse out what degrees have value versus what degrees don't sounds like something made up by an engineer. Not only did my obscure liberal arts degree get me into law school, it made me a stronger writer which helped me rise quickly through the ranks of the people with business degrees who couldn't write creatively or persuasively. One of the best architects I know has a degree in art history. One of the top lawyers that I work against has a degree in literature. There are a lot of computer science guys who expected to make money that are now working freelance because the market got saturated. My brother has a degree in organic chemistry. Never made a dime from it.

This is utter nonsense. Trying to parse out what degrees have value versus what degrees don't sounds like something made up by an engineer. Not only did my obscure liberal arts degree get me into law school, it made me a stronger writer which helped me rise quickly through the ranks of the people with business degrees who couldn't write creatively or persuasively. One of the best architects I know has a degree in art history. One of the top lawyers that I work against has a degree in literature. There are a lot of computer science guys who expected to make money that are now working freelance because the market got saturated. My brother has a degree in organic chemistry. Never made a dime from it.
I never said not to give loans out to particular majors. I said as part of the loan process they need to see the expected money returns for various degrees. Whether you do something or not after getting a degree is mostly dependent upon the actual person and not the degree (but the type of degree usually has some influence to opportunities). There are lazy people trying for all types of degrees that will amount to nothing. There are creative and hard working people that will make money with any type of degree. It takes all kinds.

The point was to set expectations and let them know the odds and typical earning potential of various degree fields. They are not all created equal. in your case your "obscure liberal arts degree" still needed you to go to additional schooling to earn your law degree. You also obviously were suited to be a strong writer and took advantage of the opportunity you earned. It can happen and more power to you for making it happen.

But not everyone getting the "obscure liberal arts degree" will go that route. They did that because it was their easiest way to a degree that maybe by itself won't really get them much (especially coupled with their lack of work ethic).

Adding these:
  • No street signs or TV commercials for political candidates/elections. In a world with internet, voters should be able to do research on candidates and issues independently and not vote based on name recognition or smear tactics usually found in ads. My only caveat might be that if an ad does not mention the opposition in any way, I may allow it.
  • No TV commercials for prescription medications. Your physician should be the one telling you about treatment options.

No TV commercials for prescription medications. Your physician should be the one telling you about treatment options.
this can be skewed by big pharma paying the doctors to hock their meds over other meds that may do a better job. May solve one issue by creating another.

No TV commercials for prescription medications. Your physician should be the one telling you about treatment options.
this can be skewed by big pharma paying the doctors to hock their meds over other meds that may do a better job. May solve one issue by creating another.
I'm 100% sure they already do that...
which is why having the patient at least know there are other options and what the pros and cons are may help keep the doctors at least a little more honest (maybe).

This fun thread went down the :toilet: Fun while it lasted though
I just ran out of ideas, for now...
Sending an email that says, can I call you real quick...(without giving any indication why so you can determine if you want to talk on the phone) hould be a 4th degree crime punishable by community service while wearing a dunce cap.
OR - the phone call about did you read the email I sent (that was sent 30 seconds ago)

4 day work weeks
I can get on board with this in the corporate world, but this becomes problematic for retail, restaurants, hospitality, etc. Will need to better define parameters

Most of those don’t have 5 day work weeks anyway. I’d say changing 5x8 to 4x10 is the target.
That’s fine for office people, but what about physical workers in 24/7 businesses like electric utilities? You want your lights on 24/7? Better have some guys ready.

4 day work weeks
I can get on board with this in the corporate world, but this becomes problematic for retail, restaurants, hospitality, etc. Will need to better define parameters

Most of those don’t have 5 day work weeks anyway. I’d say changing 5x8 to 4x10 is the target.
That’s fine for office people, but what about physical workers in 24/7 businesses like electric utilities? You want your lights on 24/7? Better have some guys ready.

“Most of those don’t have 5 day work weeks anyway”

Driving the speed limit in the left lane is punishable by a punch in the face.

Georgia has a “slow poke” law making it possible to get a ticket for impeding traffic - in practice I’ve never heard of anyone getting a ticket for it, however.

Adding these:
  • No street signs or TV commercials for political candidates/elections. In a world with internet, voters should be able to do research on candidates and issues independently and not vote based on name recognition or smear tactics usually found in ads. My only caveat might be that if an ad does not mention the opposition in any way, I may allow it.
  • No TV commercials for prescription medications. Your physician should be the one telling you about treatment options.
I was going to ask about these drug commercials after I liked @Godsbrother post about political ads.
Those drug commercials are killing people

Users who are viewing this thread