What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I now make the rules… (1 Viewer)

SS and Medicare is guaranteed based on what you paid in. Your payout is based on a smaller compounded interest of 5%. Also, you’re allowed to opt out of SS and Medicare and will not have to pay any FICA taxes but will obviously not receive any benefits ever.

No more parental benefit of any kind (tax deductions, maternity leave, etc.). If you choose to have a kid, you figure it all out and pay for it yourself.

If you want government-backed retirement programs, you need people to have kids.
Point taken, but I’m pretty sure tax breaks are low on the list of reasons why people have kids.
Costs are a major reason people wait to have kids. Which isn’t a bad thing but for those actually planning families, money is a factor.
Understood. Has there been a demonstrable change in family size in this country following policy changes?

SS and Medicare is guaranteed based on what you paid in. Your payout is based on a smaller compounded interest of 5%. Also, you’re allowed to opt out of SS and Medicare and will not have to pay any FICA taxes but will obviously not receive any benefits ever.

No more parental benefit of any kind (tax deductions, maternity leave, etc.). If you choose to have a kid, you figure it all out and pay for it yourself.

If you want government-backed retirement programs, you need people to have kids.
Point taken, but I’m pretty sure tax breaks are low on the list of reasons why people have kids.
You’d be amazed. My wife‘s friend had a 4th kid with the benefits in mind. It wasn’t the factor. But is was a factor. Mother doesn’t work. Father is a tax evader(paid under the table) The 4th dependent put them over some sort of magic threshold for free benefits that we pay for.
Yeah, I’m aware such people exist, but don't think the vast majority operate that way.

You’d be amazed. My wife‘s friend had a 4th kid with the benefits in mind. It wasn’t the factor. But is was a factor. Mother doesn’t work. Father is a tax evader(paid under the table) The 4th dependent put them over some sort of magic threshold for free benefits that we pay for.
Yeah, I’m aware such people exist, but don't think the vast majority operate that way.
For most, the cost to raise kids far exceeds the tax benefits.

This I also know. Nonetheless, I agree with the poster suggesting financial incentives for parenting should be eliminated. FWIW, I feel the same about stuff incentivizing home ownership.

This, and you lose the tax credit when they become probably the most expensive to raise (their teenage years).

I have no issue giving up my tax credit for my child, if you also get rid of the earned income credit. You should not get back more in a tax refund than you pay in taxes.

All these great ideas and nothing is happening. @Keerock is running this thread just like our government runs the country!!!

Time for some anarchy.
Hold on now… I did say that I wasn’t doing anything overly political (pretty much anything government related) and a lot of what’s being suggested is either not doable IMO or just silly talk.

Additionally, (and I should make this a rule too), I didn’t pay much attention to this thread during NFL Sunday. I’ll get back on it today.

Also, you can rebel all you want… it just won’t matter because I make the rules.

Credit card MAX interest rate or maybe 5-6%. This 29 percent crap is ridiculous.
How are they gonna fund the rewards programs we love so much?
With the transaction fees they charge retailers. I’m contemplating including the capping of CC interest rates.
If you think that's enough. My rewards better not be touched or I'm voting you out of office. Was also thinking if you're someone with bad credit which obviously doesn't apply to us, good luck getting a credit card. And without a credit card, its gonna be a lot harder to improve that credit. I have no problem with the way it is now.
How bout you have the option of a 5% interest rate card with no rewards......or a 30% interest rate card with rewards.
That's fine as long as my rewards stay unchanged. You can charge me whatever rate you want. Are you just looking to carry a balance at a low rate?
No. I just hate people paying 30%.
Feels like predatory lending

Credit card MAX interest rate or maybe 5-6%. This 29 percent crap is ridiculous.
How are they gonna fund the rewards programs we love so much?
With the transaction fees they charge retailers. I’m contemplating including the capping of CC interest rates.
If you think that's enough. My rewards better not be touched or I'm voting you out of office. Was also thinking if you're someone with bad credit which obviously doesn't apply to us, good luck getting a credit card. And without a credit card, its gonna be a lot harder to improve that credit. I have no problem with the way it is now.
How bout you have the option of a 5% interest rate card with no rewards......or a 30% interest rate card with rewards.

I never bought into the either or. It seems to make things too difficult and it usually costs more to have more options.

Could you imagine the **** show it would be if you could opt in or out of social security? We have it and we deal with the issues or we don't have it and deal with those issues.
Ummm, ok. No idea where that came from, but alrighty.
Also, SS does sort of have some options. Take less sooner or take more later.
But, yeah, the interest rate on credit card talk doesn't seem to need to be somehow compared to a world where people opt out of SS.

I used to be strongly in favor of letting people opt out of SS, because I figured I could do better saving for retirement on my own and so can everybody else. I was right about the first part, but the fact is that if you let people opt out, you're going to have a whole bunch of people suddenly realize that they're too old to work anymore and they don't have any way to sustain themselves in old age.

It sucks, but we have to make allowances for lazy, short-sighted, and unlucky people, and those allowances might come at the expense of people who are more responsible. (This could be the unofficial motto of Gen X).
SS is basically welfare for the elderly. Except currently not means tested.
I would love to opt out of it. It actually is mean tested if you look at additional premiums (IRMAA) which is based on your income.

Every auto should have a cell phone (hands free of course) and the license plate should be their name and cell number. So if they continually back into parking spaces or fail to return the shopping cart or pass on the right or fail to resign from their job at 70, we can call them up and chew them out.

Every auto should have a cell phone (hands free of course) and the license plate should be their name and cell number. So if they continually back into parking spaces or fail to return the shopping cart or pass on the right or fail to resign from their job at 70, we can call them up and chew them out.
I back into all parking spaces and it's a company mandate if you are driving a company vehicle so...fight me!

Make mortgage rates a lot easier to transfer when you sell the house, or port / keep that rate when you buy a new place.
We’d move, as I suspect many would, if we could bring our current mortgage with us.
Yes, it’s an option for some but not everyone.

4 day work weeks
I can get on board with this in the corporate world, but this becomes problematic for retail, restaurants, hospitality, etc. Will need to better define parameters
Been contemplating this, along with the "Monday after SuperBowl is a public holiday".

I may consider at least 1 federal holiday per month. This would, at least partially, address the 4 day work week dilemma. All options still under consideration.

Need to keep tipping. What's the incentive for good service? Also wait staff will pay more taxes if you increase the hourly pay as a lot of their earnings is unreported cash tips.
What’s the incentive for good service in all the other industries that we don’t tip?

There are plenty of places around here that have adopted a no tipping policy and the service is spectacular
This. The incentive for good service is keeping your job. These arguments are moot, however, as this rule has already been decided... further discussion is fruitless.

I may consider at least 1 federal holiday per month. This would, at least partially, address the 4 day work week dilemma. All options still under consideration.
Might need to be a different topic but

2023 Holiday Schedule
DateHoliday
Monday, January 02 *New Year’s Day
Monday, January 16Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 20 **Washington’s Birthday
Monday, May 29Memorial Day
Monday, June 19Juneteenth National Independence Day
Tuesday, July 04Independence Day
Monday, September 04Labor Day
Monday, October 09Columbus* Day
Friday, November 10 *Veterans Day
Thursday, November 23Thanksgiving Day
Monday, December 25Christmas Day

We’ll need to add March, April and August.

Could add Easter Monday. Or:
March: DST; if we’re going to keep changing the clocks, give us the first Monday off. If we stop changing the clocks, use π day or St Patrick’s Day.

April: April 8: NCAA 🏀 championship

August. 26: woman’s equality day or first Friday is international beer day. I would say first day of school but that’s local and doesn’t work nationally.

Also, just move the Super Bowl to match up with Washington’s Birthday

I may consider at least 1 federal holiday per month.
I had to google this to verify that we didn't already have more or less one holiday a month already. I was surprised to see the long gap from Washington's birth day to Memorial Day. Good suggestion.
Considering:

January: New Years Day, MLK Day
February: President's Day, Super Bowl Monday
March: St. Patrick's Day, Pi Day (considering)
April: Good Friday, Easter Monday
May: Mother's Day (Observed Monday), Memorial Day
June: Father's Day (Observed Monday), Juneteenth
July: Independence Day (2 day observance)
August: ???
September: Labor Day, Patriot Day (9/11)
October: Columbus Day, Halloween
November: Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving
December: Christmas Eve, Christmas Day

Might need to be a different topic but

2023 Holiday Schedule
DateHoliday
Monday, January 02 *New Year’s Day
Monday, January 16Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 20 **Washington’s Birthday
Monday, May 29Memorial Day
Monday, June 19Juneteenth National Independence Day
Tuesday, July 04Independence Day
Monday, September 04Labor Day
Monday, October 09Columbus* Day
Friday, November 10 *Veterans Day
Thursday, November 23Thanksgiving Day
Monday, December 25Christmas Day

We’ll need to add March, April and August.

Could add Easter Monday. Or:
March: DST; if we’re going to keep changing the clocks, give us the first Monday off. If we stop changing the clocks, use π day or St Patrick’s Day.

April: April 8: NCAA 🏀 championship

August. 26: woman’s equality day or first Friday is international beer day. I would say first day of school but that’s local and doesn’t work nationally.

Also, just move the Super Bowl to match up with Washington’s Birthday

I really want to go here!!!

March: International Women's Day, women are good? We like them, yes?

April: make Earth Day a real actual celebrated National holiday. We like the Earth, right? It's good, right?

June: Juneteenth, ending slavery was a good spot for us all to agree on.

Of course there's always something people will complain about these days and make political but if we can't agree women, the Earth and the freedom of people are worth celebrating it's pretty scary.

April: make Earth Day a real actual celebrated National holiday. We like the Earth, right? It's good, right?

Of course there's always something people will complain about these days and make political but if we can't agree women, the Earth and the freedom of people are worth celebrating it's pretty scary.

I mean I like women and all but for March how about Thursday and Friday opening NCAA round?

yeah... my responses will always be:
  1. I make the rules
  2. You want the day off or not?

I mean I like women and all but for March how about Thursday and Friday opening NCAA round?
I like women more than basketball lol but yeah I get it it. If it's just based on what's useful for drinking beer and watching sports, hard to beat creating that 4 day weekend.

I back into all parking spaces and it's a company mandate if you are driving a company vehicle so...fight me!
Obviously there would be exceptions (special permit/placard like handicap, police/ems, etc). But if you're just an anal retentive dingus... :boxing:

Hold on now… I did say that I wasn’t doing anything overly political (pretty much anything government related)

So eliminating the time change, messing with federal currency, establishing wage rules for service workers, federal holidays, and capping interest rates are all NON-government related?

I assumed when you said nothing political, you were meaning nothing too partisan. Virtually everything is political to some extent.

Hold on now… I did say that I wasn’t doing anything overly political (pretty much anything government related)

So eliminating the time change, messing with federal currency, establishing wage rules for service workers, federal holidays, and capping interest rates are all NON-government related?

I assumed when you said nothing political, you were meaning nothing too partisan. Virtually everything is political to some extent.
I guess I assumed political = partisan. Literally EVERYTHING these days is considered political I guess... But I see where my mention of "government related" is confusing.

Since I make the rules, I'll decide what is "overly political". No room for debate, sorry.

Can we post WSIS threads in the FFA now?
Kidding. Nobody's crazy enough to lobby for that and not expect a lifetime ban.

Illegal to lend people 17-18 year olds dozens of thousands of dollars for student loans.

Allow ME to decide who gets sterilized............this is by far my most pressing order of business
Wow, I disagree with all of these...

1. Then how the hell do you expect thousands of students to attend college? I can understand maybe a mandatory lesson to the 18 year old about what this major life decision means, but just speaking personally I wouldn't be where I am now without the ability to attend good schools due to student loans.
2. Then it would make sense for people to default way more and credit cards probably cease to exist.
3. Obviously you're joking here, but forced sterilization has been deemed to be unconstitutional.

Tailgating (as in driving too close) is a felony.
It's not personal - just drive faster.

(Seriously, I'm so guilty of this and I usually don't even realize I'm doing it but there's no evil intent behind it)
Agents of Satan often don't know they are.
At least I'm acknowledging that I do it and somewhat apologizing for it.

But, knowing that you're from Minnesota, I assume this happens to you because you're sitting in the left hand lane driving below the speed limit so...

Users who are viewing this thread