What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Analysis on Robert Griffin in the NFL (1 Viewer)

The 76-yard run was a play where the first option was pass, by the way.

The 76-yard run was a read in the pocket; his first option was a pass. But a hole opened, and Griffin fled. And when a team plays man coverage in that situation as Minnesota did, a long run always is possible.

Guy watches the all 22's in his mom's basement and suddenly he's Ron Jaworski.
Not sure that is a fair comment either. I think the bottom line comments/facts are the following:1) RG3 has performed very well so far.2) He has exceeded expectations.3) He does not have a ton of talent to work with.4) He is a rookie and only played 6 nfl football games.5) He may have some deficiencies in his pass game with walking through progressions.The key with Griffin (AS WITH IS MANY YOUNG QBs) is how hard he is willing to work, how well he is coached, and how he is able to adjust on the fly and absorb information in regards to recognizing defenses an how how his offense is supposed to work.

Not sure that is a fair comment either. I think the bottom line comments/facts are the following:1) RG3 has performed very well so far.2) He has exceeded expectations.3) He does not have a ton of talent to work with.4) He is a rookie and only played 6 nfl football games.5) He may have some deficiencies in his pass game with walking through progressions.The key with Griffin (AS WITH IS MANY YOUNG QBs) is how hard he is willing to work, how well he is coached, and how he is able to adjust on the fly and absorb information in regards to recognizing defenses an how how his offense is supposed to work.
:blackdot: :goodposting:

Nice contrarian article that illustrates why RG3 might slow. He might not but I am glad to read something that is constructively critical of him. Maybe he is bird dogging his receivers and if so that is something that I would want to know as an owner. His value is sky high now with people turning down offers for Aaron Rodgers straight up. If this article is right - and only time will tell - then it could be a decent time to trade him. And if the article is wrong, then my guess is that RG3 will figure out a way to fix his shortcomings. Either way I am glad someone is doing this work. Awesome stuff, even if you disagree, it is still awesome.
I agree that this is an informative article. However I am trusting the writer that he is not pinpointing plays. I assume that he has seen more than me as the casual observer to pick out these deficiencies. If he is doing this with his majority of throws and still completing 70% of his throws... I would be surprised that he has gotten away with it for 6 games. However Cam's drastic decrease in production the second half of last season (and into this season) warrants consideration for all FFers when attempting to evaluate RG3's value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't think the article makes a very compelling case."Here's a picture of RGIII looking over here. Look I drew lines coming from his eyes to show you where he's looking".Again, IF Griffin stares down his primary target and does a poor job looking off defenders why aren't defenses taking advantage? Why would it take opposing teams weeks worth of film to spot rookie tells? Why is he completing 70% of his passes with so few turnovers? The answer seems obvious to me. The defense has no idea what Griffin is going to do when they lineup in the pistol and shotgun formations. Is he going to hand it to Morris? Is he going to run? Is he going to roll out? The defenses get sucked in by any ball fake he makes and he throws quickly to a wide open WR. The defense can't just sit back and read his eyes because he's not some statue in the pocket. He's got them on their heals.

I just don't think the article makes a very compelling case."Here's a picture of RGIII looking over here. Look I drew lines coming from his eyes to show you where he's looking".Again, IF Griffin stares down his primary target and does a poor job looking off defenders why aren't defenses taking advantage? Why would it take opposing teams need weeks worth of film to spot rookie tells? Why is he completing 70% of his passes with so few turnovers? The answer seems obvious to me. The defense has no idea what Griffin is going to do when they lineup in the pistol and shotgun formations. Is he going to hand it to Morris? Is he going to run? Is he going to roll out? The defenses get sucked in by any ball fake he makes and he throws quickly to a wide open WR. The defense can't just sit back and read his eyes because he's not some statue in the pocket. He's got them on their heals.
Maybe. But the beauty is analysis is just that. Again I trust the author is watching more film than I am (very possible). RG being a running threat is a help to him as it makes defenses think about committing to a receiver. However if he is staring down receivers and not going through progressions it is noteworthy information. How true this is may be debatable. Just remember he is a rookie and remember what we may have learned from Cam. I am not 100% agreeing with the writer however more information/opinions are always helpful.

I will say the article comes at a time that it will be hard for RG3 to prove otherwise. He has his more challenging part of his schedule coming up as he still has the division rivals coming up. He is peaking, tough to go up.....it will be fun to see how he finishes.

I think he will still have some ups and downs. But like King of Jungle stated. I find it hard to believe that after 6 games, teams like MIN haven't figured out how to stop RG3 if its true that Shannahan is playing within such a narrow scope of field and system to hide RG3's flaws and make him comfortable. Just saying is all. :popcorn:

Let me start off by saying, I am not here to "dis" anyone else's theories or opinions. But I will say, I am not a big believer in rookie QB's hitting the "wall", wr'ers and rb's sure, some defensive positions, absolutely. But comparing his college to pro numbers, suggests he really should be hitting his stride, not his wall. His last 2 college years, he had over 400 pass attempts and over 150 rushing attempts. This season he has barely hit 300 pass attempts and has only 100 rushing attempts. I think it unlikely to see RG3 struggle due to tiredness this year, perhaps good defense, but that has been rare this year as well. Living in VA, we get every Redskin game, so I have had a chance to see him quite a bit and I have been nothing short of impressed with his poise, quick decision making and presence on the field and in the huddle. Redskin fans should be very happy as it looks like they finally have their franchise QB.

Well, if rookie QBs hit a wall, it's probably more mental than physical with all that goes into preparing for a game each week.
I think its RG3s mental game that i am impressed with the most. He seems so focused and driven, especially during crunch time or in big games. Quite impressive.

Peter King writes: "Washington has thrown the ball 44 times this year on third-and-eight or longer, and Griffin has converted but four of those into first downs."

Does that mean RGIII has converted 4 of 44? Or that he's moved the chains on 40 out of 44?

I read it as 4 of 44.

Peter King writes: "Washington has thrown the ball 44 times this year on third-and-eight or longer, and Griffin has converted but four of those into first downs."Does that mean RGIII has converted 4 of 44? Or that he's moved the chains on 40 out of 44?I read it as 4 of 44.
the entire thing says
"This is the stat the Giants must be looking at this week, though Boley didn't tell me about it: Washington has thrown the ball 44 times this year on third-and-eight or longer, and Griffin has converted but four of those into first downs.Third-and-long. That has to be the Giants' mantra come Monday night. Oh, and watch the deep posts off play-action on first-and-15."
So it makes sense that he was saying RG3 has only converted 4 of them. i would be curious to know the average percentage for converting 3rd and long. It cant be that high.ETA: Answering my own question. http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/2010-nfl-staying-out-of-3rd-long-stats-conversion-rates/

Peter King writes: "Washington has thrown the ball 44 times this year on third-and-eight or longer, and Griffin has converted but four of those into first downs."Does that mean RGIII has converted 4 of 44? Or that he's moved the chains on 40 out of 44?I read it as 4 of 44.
I think grammatically(not positive though), it means he's 40-44. But I would be shocked if that were true. I assume he means 4 out of 44.

=The success he has seen early this season will not continue throughout the year and one can already see a decline in play even if it isn’t evident in the box score just yet.
lol

His best two weeks so far have come in week 11 and 12.

=The success he has seen early this season will not continue throughout the year and one can already see a decline in play even if it isn’t evident in the box score just yet.
lol

His best two weeks so far have come in week 11 and 12.
But that's against two teams that are competing with the Chiefs for worst play in the league now.
The cowboys are woefully mediocre but they are far from being the same class as the Chefs.

the entire thing says
"This is the stat the Giants must be looking at this week, though Boley didn't tell me about it: Washington has thrown the ball 44 times this year on third-and-eight or longer, and Griffin has converted but four of those into first downs.Third-and-long. That has to be the Giants' mantra come Monday night. Oh, and watch the deep posts off play-action on first-and-15."
So it makes sense that he was saying RG3 has only converted 4 of them. i would be curious to know the average percentage for converting 3rd and long. It cant be that high.ETA: Answering my own question. http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/2010-nfl-staying-out-of-3rd-long-stats-conversion-rates/
RG3 is horrible at converting 3rd & long with 9%. That article had the league range in 2010 at 49%-21%. Now that article doesn't distinguish between passing and running 3rd & longs, but there are probably few runs on 3rd & long and they most likely only bring the percentage down for the league numbers.

the entire thing says
RG3 is horrible at converting 3rd & long with 9%. That article had the league range in 2010 at 49%-21%. Now that article doesn't distinguish between passing and running 3rd & longs, but there are probably few runs on 3rd & long and they most likely only bring the percentage down for the league numbers.
its not all that surprising. Skins wrs have had issues with catching the ball all year.

RSP contributing writer Nathan Miller's take on Griffin figuratively and literally not seeing the impending rookie wall.
Lousy article.
:lmao: Even worse article reading it now that it appeared when I first read it. Look at this stupid crap.

What I have noticed from Weeks 3-5 is that once a defense becomes aware of his patterns, it could easily distinguish with some degree of accuracy where the ball is going before it is even snapped. I neglected his first two games when focusing on this tendency, because I wanted to give him time to get up to speed before critiquing him. However, there are formations and situations on passing downs where there’s a high degree of certainly a defense can tell which side of the field the ball is going.
:lmao: Griffin has thrown 5 interceptions in 393 attempts, has a completion percentage of 65.6%, and led an offense that led the league in yards per play. Oh yeah, the defenses really knew what was coming. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread