What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Analytics, schmanalytics! (1 Viewer)

-Staley went safe/traditional against analytics and kicked a FG on 4th and 3 from the 22 (which missed).

Score one for analytics tonight!

This one arguably cost them the game.
FYI analytics (or at least the 4th Down Bot) strongly favored kicking the FG
Yeah, I was kind of puzzled to see people criticizing Staley for this particular decision. Obviously Staley did a poor job last night, considering [gestures vaguely] all of this, but kicking the FG here was a totally fine call.

So I think it’s funny to see collective analytic blaming when decisions get made.

Analytics will tell you what has happened in similar scenarios. If someone thinks it’s outright prescriptive, that’s on them. If 80% of the time a situation has happened, that’s factual. If the other alternative is 50%, that doesn’t mean the 80% option is guaranteed and/or factors at hand maintain a 30% gap let alone things we can’t quantify (ex. Momentum)

Two big decisions tonight:

-Doug Pederson sided with analytics and went for the 2 point conversion from the 1.

-Staley went safe/traditional against analytics and kicked a FG on 4th and 3 from the 22 (which missed).

With a perfect snap and hold. The Charger kicker makes that 18 out of 20 times. Odds were heavily in favor of a made FG.

It was a perfect snap and hold and he missed.

Watch the last Jax TD. Right OT got away with a false start. But Chargers had an incomplete pass ruled a reception earlier.

Last edited:
I don’t know for sure that the numbers favored Jax going for two there, but assuming they did, it would be a good example of how to gain an edge using analytics: to overcome cognitive biases.

Most often, the bias we see is loss aversion, but last night, it was the bias that creeps in when a team is trailing by a “round” number (3, 7, 10, etc). The goal becomes getting the game back to a tie score, even though that only gives you a 50% chance of winning (maybe a tick higher in Jacksonville’s case since they were at home).

But at the point where the 2PC became much easier due to the penalty, Pederson correctly recognized that the Jags had a chance to win the game outright, so he took it. The fact that everything worked out perfectly doesn’t prove he was right, but it does show why you make decisions like that

Yeah, I was kind of puzzled to see people criticizing Staley for this particular decision. Obviously Staley did a poor job last night, considering [gestures vaguely] all of this, but kicking the FG here was a totally fine call.
Apparently not since they lost

I don’t know for sure that the numbers favored Jax going for two there

They did when I checked last night. It's like a 29% WP vs. 24% WP if you go for one. In fact, I saw a great Twitter clip from the NFL Network in 2018 about Pederson and going for two and his unconventional style whereby he was using raw math and probability to draw conclusions about what to do. I'll see if I can't find it.

I can't find it, but he's done it before using math.

I don’t know for sure that the numbers favored Jax going for two there, but assuming they did, it would be a good example of how to gain an edge using analytics: to overcome cognitive biases.

Most often, the bias we see is loss aversion, but last night, it was the bias that creeps in when a team is trailing by a “round” number (3, 7, 10, etc). The goal becomes getting the game back to a tie score, even though that only gives you a 50% chance of winning (maybe a tick higher in Jacksonville’s case since they were at home).

But at the point where the 2PC became much easier due to the penalty, Pederson correctly recognized that the Jags had a chance to win the game outright, so he took it. The fact that everything worked out perfectly doesn’t prove he was right, but it does show why you make decisions like that
No guarantee an XP is made.

Obviously you kick.
I wanted them to go for it.

There was a mojo going in the context of that game that demanded going for it & burning a little clock - getting the TD.

The FG felt like a surrender.

Users who are viewing this thread