What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

And the MVP is.... (1 Viewer)

Which player gets the nod as the 2008 NFL MVP?

• Adrian Peterson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drew Brees

• DeAngelo Williams

• Michael Turner

• Peyton Manning

• Andre Johnson

• Kurt Warner

• Chad Pennington

• Steve Smith

• Larry Fitzgerald

• Other

• Total voters

Rev

Footballguy
Haven't seen another one of these, but sorry if I missed it.

Maybe we should do a spin off for the FF MVP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would Brees get two votes?

The Saints stunk again and didnt make the playoffs? Rivers had a better year than him and got his team in.

The Saints stunk again and didnt make the playoffs? Rivers had a better year than him and got his team in.
huh? and he plays in a crappy division as well. i don't think the charger make the playoffs this season if they are in the NFC south, and the games the saints won were because of drew brees.

Replace the 3 WRs with Rivers, Ryan and James Harrison, and you'd have a list of those that may get at least 1 of the 50 MVP votes. I expect at least 6 players to get at least one MVP vote, maybe more.

Manning is my clear cut choice...

The Peter King story in todays MMQB was very enlightening, not just with regard to the injury, but also the time it took for him to rehab and work with new O-Line personnel.

Prior to this year, the Colts made it look pretty easy on offense. But this year, with Addai struggling and Harrison getting old and Manning in the condition he was...not so much.

I've always thought Manning was a great player, but not necessarily a gritty player. That changed for me this year.

Chad Pennington, can you honestly say the Dolphins are anywhere near where they are now without him?

The turn around has been astonishing in Miami and without Pennington it would not have happened.

That being said, the stats Warner and Bree have put up are amazing.

AP would be close as well however I think the Minn Defense played a huge part in keeping them in games making AP able to keep running.

I know there is no way Pennington will win it, because he isn't flashy but it is my opinion that he was the leader Parcells wanted and he has led the horrid dolphins to the playoffs and I think they beat the Ravens. If the Dolphins make some noise in the playoffs, then Pennington should get it

If the Dolphins make some noise in the playoffs, then Pennington should get it
The post season has nothing to do with the MVP balloting. IIRC, the MVP ballots are due either late today or tomorrow.
I know, but I am saying he won't get it because of stats and image. My opinion is that Pennington is on a mission and he has led that team into the playoffs, possible deep into the playoffs. Which would make him the most valuable, the way I interpret it but some other people interpret most valuable in other ways.Brees is on this list because of his gaudy stats even though the Saints didn't make the playoffs. Playoffs don't count, but they should.

I see Philip Rivers is still getting no respect. :thumbdown:
:lmao:
Can you say League MVP? When they were 4-8, everyone had written off the San Diego Chargers. No defense. No running game, my friend. But who put the team on their back and carried them to this position? Philip Rivers. He deserves recognition as a League MVP or at least be in that discussion, but you have to look at how he is playing, how this offense is playing right now.Ron Jaworski, NFL Matchup

I see Philip Rivers is still getting no respect. :thumbdown:
Can you say League MVP? When they were 4-8, everyone had written off the San Diego Chargers. No defense. No running game, my friend. But who put the team on their back and carried them to this position? Philip Rivers. He deserves recognition as a League MVP or at least be in that discussion, but you have to look at how he is playing, how this offense is playing right now.Ron Jaworski, NFL Matchup
He should be the NFL MVP for December, not the year.It pains me to say it, but one of the Mannings should get it. Too bad Earth, Wind and Fire can't share it.

DeAngelo Williams should get the vote...without his great play down the stretch, I do not believe the Panthers would be in the position they are in for the playoffs.

To continue to beat a dead horse, the MVP historically has been a QB 62% of the time, a RB 33% of the time, a WR 0% of the time, and other position (DT, PK, LB) 5% of the time. Also, the league MVP typically comes from a team with 11+ wins that has made the playoffs (like 95%+ of the time).

Very surprised Warner does not have as many votes as Peyton, Pennington.
Why? His team finished with 9 wins in a horrendous division. MVPs don't usually come from those kinds of teams, regardless of how gaudy a players individual numbers may be.
To continue to beat a dead horse, the MVP historically has been a QB 62% of the time, a RB 33% of the time, a WR 0% of the time, and other position (DT, PK, LB) 5% of the time. Also, the league MVP typically comes from a team with 11+ wins that has made the playoffs (like 95%+ of the time).
Thanks for saving me the time. These conversations usually circle two rings...one group of people debate who they think SHOULD win the MVP, while another group debates who they think WILL win. Often these are very different conversations.As you point out David [and you know I am in agreement], at this stage of the game I think it's more interesting to debate who WILL win the MVP, and in that case, I have a hard time projecting anyone not named Peyton Manning.

For the record, I think Peyton Manning will get it, and although Rivers bested Peyton in virtually every category, I have no problem with #18 winning his 3rd MVP. He's the greatest player in NFL history, IMO.

For the record, I think Peyton Manning will get it, and although Rivers bested Peyton in virtually every category, I have no problem with #18 winning his 3rd MVP. He's the greatest player in NFL history, IMO.
:rolleyes: He's not even the best QB in NFL history. Hell he's not even the best QB in Colts' history (which he agrees with probably as much or more than anyone).You do know they played football before 1990 right? ;)

Dont give it to Manning. Yea, we know the Colts would blow without him, but they didnt do anything this year that wasnt expected of them.

Now Michael Turner, now thats an exciting selection. FA rb gets paid big bucks to come to a 2-3 win team, whatever they had last year, to be the workhorse and take the pressure off a rookie qb, and he puts together a stunning season statistically, and is the most important part of an 11 win, playoff team that really wasnt supposed to be an 11 win, playoff team.

Sorry Ryan is as much the reason as Turner.
No chance. The Falcons were a run first team all year, they got off the bus running and every opponent knew it. Turner made Ryan's job ALOT easier this year.

MVP=Most Valuable Player not best player or player on a team that did the best. Pennington is a no-brainer here. He had probably his best season on a team headlined with receiving threats such as Ted Ginn Jr., Greg Camarillo and Anthony Fasano. He led this team of misfits to a division championship, amassed 9th in passing yards, threw 19 TDs and only 7 interceptions. As a Bills fan, it pains me to say this but its the truth...Pennington deserves MVP more than anyone else by a long shot.

These conversations usually circle two rings...one group of people debate who they think SHOULD win the MVP, while another group debates who they think WILL win. Often these are very different conversations.
Yes, but where would the fun be in one conversation?

MVP=Most Valuable Player not best player or player on a team that did the best. Pennington is a no-brainer here. He had probably his best season on a team headlined with receiving threats such as Ted Ginn Jr., Greg Camarillo and Anthony Fasano. He led this team of misfits to a division championship, amassed 9th in passing yards, threw 19 TDs and only 7 interceptions. As a Bills fan, it pains me to say this but its the truth...Pennington deserves MVP more than anyone else by a long shot.
While I understand the deserve to debate what MVP SHOULD mean, you'll drive yourself insane trying to do that. You really have to look at what the MVP voters have generally rewarded in the past, and in that vein, Manning takes the cake here over Pennington.

DeAngelo Williams has had one of the best years ever by a RB (20 TD's and 5.5 Yds/car). Seems to be getting no respect with no Pro-Bowl and no MVP talk.

Oh forgot to mention tying record for "most TD's over 30 yds by a RB" in a season (6 w/J. Brown)

DeAngelo Williams has had one of the best years ever by a RB (20 TD's and 5.5 Yds/car). Seems to be getting no respect with no Pro-Bowl and no MVP talk.
I'm a big fan of Williams and commend what he did this year, but you're giving him way too much credit, particularly as it relates to his MVP chances.The idea that he had "one of the best years ever" simply isn't true, at least in terms of how most would define all-time greatness. Impressive as his season was, his 20 TDs rank just 20th on the all-time single season list, and his 1,636 yards from scrimmage ranks a whopping 192nd on the all-time list. His season was very good, it wasn't close to historic.

If you look back and the RBs who have been awarded the MVP award, they've done more against the field than Williams.

1) He was only 6th in the league in yards from scrimmage...no RB MVP in recent history [at least since 1980] has finished worse than 3rd in yards from scrimmage

2) He was 3rd in rushing yards...only Thurman Thomas and Marshall Faulk failed to lead the league in rushing in their MVP years

2006 -- LaDainian Tomlinson, led the league in rushing, TDs and was 2nd in yards from scrimmage

2005 -- Shaun Alexander, led the league in rushing, TDs and was 3rd in yards from scrimmage

2000 -- Marshall Faulk, 2nd in yards from scrimmage, led the league in TDs

1998 -- Terrell Davis, led the league in rushing, TDs and was 2nd in yards from scrimmage

1997 -- Barry Sanders, led the league in rushing, 3rd in TDs, and 1st in yards from scrimmage

1993 -- Emmitt Smith, led the league in rushing, 6th in TDs, and was 1st in yards from scrimmage

1991 -- Thurman Thomas, 3rd in rushing, 4th in TDs, led the league in yards from scrimmage

1985 -- Marcus Allen, led the league in rushing, 3rd in TDs, led the league in yards from scrimmage

The bottom line is Williams had an excellent season, but it's not MVP-caliber and it's certainly not among the best in NFL history.

Being the best player on an 8-8 team that won a ####ty division hardly makes you the league's MVP. Rivers has had a great year, but no way should he sniff the MVP award.

Being the best player on an 8-8 team that won a ####ty division hardly makes you the league's MVP. Rivers has had a great year, but no way should he sniff the MVP award.
I sense some bitterness. What QB had a better year?

I sense some bitterness. What QB had a better year?
No bitterness at all. I don't hate the Chargers like I do the Raiders or Chiefs. Had the Broncos blown the division to either of those teams, I probably would be bitter...and quite pissed off. :PBut please tell me when an 8-8 team EVER had the MVP of the NFL. TIA. :bag:

:goodposting: He's not even the best QB in NFL history. Hell he's not even the best QB in Colts' history (which he agrees with probably as much or more than anyone).
I agree that "greatest player in the history..." was a bit of hyperbole, but I think it's arguable that Manning is one of the best players in NFL history. He may be on a team that had Unitas, but he's in his class.People love to hate Manning, and make excuses for his success. We'll, this year he showed just what an incredible QB he is, what an awesome player he is.

The game was different when Namath, Unitas, and Graham played, it's not a fair comparison. But he's better than any modern era QB that I can think of, including Marino, Bradshaw, Kelly, McNair, Elway, Montana, Young, Brady etc.

Philip Rivers:

2008 Stat RankPass Yds Yds/Game TD QB Rating

4009 250.6 34 105.5

Won Division

you can mention the 8-8 record but they did win the division. Manning is all but a shoe -in but regardless of their record he did not lead them to a division title.

I see Philip Rivers is still getting no respect. :deadhorse:

:D He's not even the best QB in NFL history. Hell he's not even the best QB in Colts' history (which he agrees with probably as much or more than anyone).
I agree that "greatest player in the history..." was a bit of hyperbole, but I think it's arguable that Manning is one of the best players in NFL history. He may be on a team that had Unitas, but he's in his class.People love to hate Manning, and make excuses for his success. We'll, this year he showed just what an incredible QB he is, what an awesome player he is.

The game was different when Namath, Unitas, and Graham played, it's not a fair comparison. But he's better than any modern era QB that I can think of, including Marino, Bradshaw, Kelly, McNair, Elway, Montana, Young, Brady etc.
If you were drafting any player in history to lead your franchise, wouldn't you choose Manning? Unitas was great, but it's silly to not acknowledge the fact that players today are bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, etc. Manning is not only the best passer of all time, he's also an all time leader. He's a coach/GM on the field. He's never missed a snap b/c of injury. He's clean as a whistle - 0% chance of him causing a problem off the field or in the locker room. He's not blowing lines in the club on Friday nights, he's studying film despite knowing more about football than any other player in the league.

I'm not a Colts fan, or a Tennessee Volunteers fan. The Mannings spit on my favorite team in the '04 draft. I am not a fanboy. Peyton Manning is the greatest player to ever lace'm up. Period.

:wub: He's not even the best QB in NFL history. Hell he's not even the best QB in Colts' history (which he agrees with probably as much or more than anyone).

If you were drafting any player in history to lead your franchise, wouldn't you choose Manning? Unitas was great, but it's silly to not acknowledge the fact that players today are bigger, stronger, faster, smarter, etc. Manning is not only the best passer of all time, he's also an all time leader. He's a coach/GM on the field. He's never missed a snap b/c of injury. He's clean as a whistle - 0% chance of him causing a problem off the field or in the locker room. He's not blowing lines in the club on Friday nights, he's studying film despite knowing more about football than any other player in the league.

I'm not a Colts fan, or a Tennessee Volunteers fan. The Mannings spit on my favorite team in the '04 draft. I am not a fanboy. Peyton Manning is the greatest player to ever lace'm up. Period.
No. Joe Montana, Tom Brady and Johnny Unitas are a few that come to mind. Of all the attributes you listed, you also did not mention that he has (more often than not) failed to win the big game whether it be at Tennessee or Indy.

Users who are viewing this thread