What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another Jet collapse (1 Viewer)

Kiddnets

Footballguy
When all the media idiots were talking Jets for the Super Bowl - I was worried about making the playoffs - for good reason. Another epic collapse in a history of epic collapses.

Faces change, owners change, coaches change, players change...results are the same...

-Joe B

I want to vomit.

On a side note - let's say, hypothetically, they did eek out a win against Seattle and managed to beat Miami next week - would you really want to even make the playoffs just to get steamrolled by either the Colts or the Ravens? It's almost a blessing in disguise...

I want to vomit.On a side note - let's say, hypothetically, they did eek out a win against Seattle and managed to beat Miami next week - would you really want to even make the playoffs just to get steamrolled by either the Colts or the Ravens? It's almost a blessing in disguise...
I would take my chance of hosting a WC game vs the Ravens - being eliminated by a 3 win team and watching Pennington beat them for a playoff spot next week is cruel and unusual punishment.

The saddest part in all this has been the defense. They can't even stop a bunch of Practice squad guys on a makeshift OL.. Then again the offense scored THREE.

I even gave the D some benefit of the doubt Vs Buffalo's OL cuz they're huge and often knock the Jets around but, I was saying all week - They should just rip apart this Seattle OL.

Well, the coaching staff should take the hit for sure...Favre or no Favre they should get just as good or better QB play.... Sutton the DC needs to go...

They won't fire Mangini - He's lock in step with Woody and Tannenbaum.... They will get him a new DC - maybe Crennel and then I'd say he gets next year and possibly 1 more year...

I know people will call for Mangini's head but, no way that happens.

Not like Jets fans didn't see this from a mile away though.

This is why we play Fantasy Football though - As the Jets soared my teams we're ok.. As the Jets Collapsed It looks like I'm finishing strong - Played a team in one SB today starting Leon Washington AND Thomas Jones along with Keller..... Ummm, I won, Yay. Two more SB's to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only shot that Mangini is gone is if it hurts the PSL sales which it might....who the hell is gonna pay thousands of dollars for this?

As for the defense - when you rush 3 guys constantly you will lose.

Awful coaching down the stretch. Herm is back as a fat white guy....

another disgusted longtime jets fan here... any jets fan feared this game we are horrible on the west coast.... awful playcalling, clock mgmt, i thought we were back in the Herm era... Mangini just cant seem to get his troops fired up for games... ever since those two back to back wins the team has been flat, and that has to fall on the coaching staff.. bring in a Cowler although he would prob never want to coach in NY.... to light a fire under this teams $@*

Anyone know who on the Jets is a pending FA? Curious to see how many new faces we might have in here next season.
Not many big names - think Barton is the only starter. MAkes no difference - the curse is bigger than any player....owner or coach - even the Tuna bowed down to the curse. All the stars were aligned this year for a division title and they couldn't even do that with a 2 .5 game lead with 5 to play! At least GB only gets a 3rd for Favre!

I'd like to hear from Jets fans on this staff member's comment today...Anthony Borbely

After seeing Favre these last few weeks, one has to wonder about the Jets' decision.

I'd like to hear from Jets fans on this staff member's comment today...Anthony Borbely

After seeing Favre these last few weeks, one has to wonder about the Jets' decision.
The decision was a no-brainer.Chad pretty much lost his job last year and most felt and still feel he's a QB who could only take a team so far and a top playoff D will shut him down...Signing Favre accomplished 2 things at the least:1. Got the Jets and fans to move on from Chad - He wasn't the Long term answer.And2. It was a "fun" no brainer "Roll of the dice" for a Jets franchise that probably wasn't going to win a Super Bowl anyway - so, sign Favre and maybe if things lineup, give yourself a punchers chance to maybe have a higher ceiling in a playoff game. Worst case, he leaves after 1 year and you're in the same boat of needing a QB - Maybe Clemens or Ratliff develop watching Favre?

Curious about how Jets fans feel about going for it on 4th and 4. I was delighted to see the Jets lose, so maybe I would've lol'd @ Mangini whether he went for it and failed or punted it then failed...but with 2 (or 3?) TO's, had to wonder if punting it was better than going for it and giving SEA the ball in easy range of a season-destroying chipshot FG.

The decision was a no-brainer.Chad pretty much lost his job last year and most felt and still feel he's a QB who could only take a team so far and a top playoff D will shut him down...Signing Favre accomplished 2 things at the least:1. Got the Jets and fans to move on from Chad - He wasn't the Long term answer.And2. It was a "fun" no brainer "Roll of the dice" for a Jets franchise that probably wasn't going to win a Super Bowl anyway - so, sign Favre and maybe if things lineup, give yourself a punchers chance to maybe have a higher ceiling in a playoff game. Worst case, he leaves after 1 year and you're in the same boat of needing a QB - Maybe Clemens or Ratliff develop watching Favre?
agreed - the season was going nowhere with Chad - at least with Favre we had some fun. Assuming Favre retires - the real question is do the JEts go with one of the kids or dumo a bunch of money on Casell....

Curious about how Jets fans feel about going for it on 4th and 4. I was delighted to see the Jets lose, so maybe I would've lol'd @ Mangini whether he went for it and failed or punted it then failed...but with 2 (or 3?) TO's, had to wonder if punting it was better than going for it and giving SEA the ball in easy range of a season-destroying chipshot FG.
It didnt matter at that point - their fate was sealed already. The real bad decisions were - 1. Not going for it against an awful team on 4th and inches at the 3 yd line2. Not kicking the FG after Feely nails it from 45 with 20 yds to spare - so of course punt it when you move back 5MAngina has regressed and must go - unfortunatley the JEts owner is more concerned about his trust fund and PSLs

Please tell us you are kidding! There is NO WAY anyone in that organization regrets or wonders about the decsion. From the beginning it created a new buzz for Jets fans and excitement in New York. They were a 4 win team last year and Favre has been one of the additions to the team that helped them get to 9 wins and make this playoff run.
I should have used the sarcasm smiley with my comment.

See the above. I should have used the sarcasm smiley. For those who don't know, the quote of mine was taken from the Rodgers thread.

3 hrs later and I am just getting angrier!

Freaking MAngini press conference again with zero emotion - they played hard...good week of practice....kudos to Seattle - thought I was watching **** Kotite!

The Jets play calling and decision making is really bad. I don't doubt that Mangini is intelligent when it comes to schemes on both sides of the ball, but the Jets offensive play calling, defensive play calling and consistent failing to go for it on 4th down are simply awful. Something must be changed for next year.

The Jets play calling and decision making is really bad. I don't doubt that Mangini is intelligent when it comes to schemes on both sides of the ball, but the Jets offensive play calling, defensive play calling and consistent failing to go for it on 4th down are simply awful. Something must be changed for next year.
I hate changing coaches - seems like the JEts do it every 3 yrs - Coslet, Carroll, Kotite, Tuna, Groh, Herm and Mangini - where does it end. Its not good on a team to have a new system put in every 3 yrs - but Mangini has shown he is just not ready to be a HC. I have an awful feeling that unless he loses PSLs over it - Woody sticks with him another year - thus losing out on some good coaches out there - Cower, Spags, Ryan....its time for a change. Bring in a new coach and new QB (Cassel???)

I hate changing coaches - seems like the JEts do it every 3 yrs - Coslet, Carroll, Kotite, Tuna, Groh, Herm and Mangini - where does it end. Its not good on a team to have a new system put in every 3 yrs - but Mangini has shown he is just not ready to be a HC. I have an awful feeling that unless he loses PSLs over it - Woody sticks with him another year - thus losing out on some good coaches out there - Cower, Spags, Ryan....its time for a change. Bring in a new coach and new QB (Cassel???)
Of course it's bad to change coaches every few years. It hurts the team to have no continuity in place. The problem is, it hurts the team even more to have a bad coach.I'm not saying Mangini needs to be fired, but whoever is in charge of the decisions outlined above needs to be replaced.

Of course it's bad to change coaches every few years. It hurts the team to have no continuity in place. The problem is, it hurts the team even more to have a bad coach.I'm not saying Mangini needs to be fired, but whoever is in charge of the decisions outlined above needs to be replaced.
obviously that is MAngini - Woody has no sac - he and Tanny are too close to MAngini - they'll talk about how he doubled last years record and make Sutton the fall guy. Then they'll bring in Rob Ryan to whip the defense in shape ala Herm with Heimdinger. Only after another disasterous season will they have no choice. SAME OLD JETS - it's a saying because its true.

obviously that is MAngini - Woody has no sac - he and Tanny are too close to MAngini - they'll talk about how he doubled last years record and make Sutton the fall guy. Then they'll bring in Rob Ryan to whip the defense in shape ala Herm with Heimdinger. Only after another disasterous season will they have no choice. SAME OLD JETS - it's a saying because its true.
They can keep Mangini as coach as long as someone else calls the offensive and defensive plays. And someone tells Mangini to stop kicking 21 yard field goals in the first quarter.

i am so pissed that i always get so invested in this team. Its just so awful. I am SO glad i didn't go to any games this year. I just can't see myself watching next week. Its just gonna make me sick watching Pennington carve up our 3-8 defense.

They can keep Mangini as coach as long as someone else calls the offensive and defensive plays. And someone tells Mangini to stop kicking 21 yard field goals in the first quarter.
Agreed. They need someone to call the right plays - now the question is, would Mangini let them?At the end of the day - these gameplans, the adjustements - those are on him as well.

Not much more to add. We've had our doozies of losses in the past, but this one may rank up there with them all in my lifetime.

There's certainly enough blame to go around - the all-of-a-sudden sputtering offense (including Favre looking like a lost rookie), the all-of-a-sudden sieve defense that can't touch the QB, to the poor decision making on play calls. At the end of the day, it has to come down to Mangini, as he sets the tone, and this is not a team that has shown one iota of passion since knocking off the Titans. It's almost as if the team thought they were entitled to the playoffs after that Tennessee game - just a travesty.

Kiddnets, you may be right that Mangini gets another shot, but the fans and media will be after his head if they don't get in (looking increasingly likely), and that might sway the sentiment.

NoFBinLA said:
Chase Stuart said:
Agreed. They need someone to call the right plays - now the question is, would Mangini let them?At the end of the day - these gameplans, the adjustements - those are on him as well.
Without meaning to pile on, Mangini is weak. Of course he'll "let them". He let the GM and owner have their little Favre fantasy.Despite the rancor between BB and Mangini, I still want him to succeed, but I dont see it happening. For the record, BB strongly urged Mangini not to go the the Jets. You can believe that was entirely evil / self-serving advice if you want to, but I don't.

Favre, who was named to the Pro Bowl last week, has one TD pass and six picks in the past four games.

Meanwhile, Chad Pennington, who was passed over in Favre’s favor for the Pro Bowl, has six touchdowns and one pick in the past three games.

Not much more to add. We've had our doozies of losses in the past, but this one may rank up there with them all in my lifetime.
It's almost a silver lining that Miami and Chad can't really come up here and take anythiing away from us....It's already gone.That Stadium just might be 70% Miami fans this week..... And for the rest of us, we can at least turn it off... The pain is already done. The outcom eof the game is pretty much expected - It'll be interesting to see the Vegas line - How could anyone bet on the Jets?They should just send the practice squad and get a better draft pick. I'm really not sure how the team could practice and be ready for a game this week knowing the opportunities they sputtered away.

What do you think about Brian Schottenheimer as an offensive coordinator? His track record is unimpressive

What do you think about Brian Schottenheimer as an offensive coordinator? His track record is unimpressive
The entire coaching staff should be canned expect the ST's coach. (and maybe Callahan for the O-line). Everyone else should be looking for new jobs, but they wont be.

The saddest part in all this has been the defense. They can't even stop a bunch of Practice squad guys on a makeshift OL.. Then again the offense scored THREE.I even gave the D some benefit of the doubt Vs Buffalo's OL cuz they're huge and often knock the Jets around but, I was saying all week - They should just rip apart this Seattle OL. Well, the coaching staff should take the hit for sure...Favre or no Favre they should get just as good or better QB play.... Sutton the DC needs to go...
Even the announcers kept saying the Jets need to blitz that o-line. I just don't understand how they play so conservatively with the season on the line.I agree Mangini likely stays, but he made three horrendous decisions in that game and they could certainly justifying showing him the door.

Worst decision of all his poor decisions and smacked of desperation. They had all three time outs and the 2 minute warning. Not making it loses the game right there as Seattle is all but guaranteed at least a FG.

the thing i just dont understand is how they can rush 3 guys all game. The whole point of the 3-4 defense is that its supposed to confuse the O-line because the blitz can come from anywhere. Well, that cant really happen when you dont EVER blitz. I mean honestly, how can any NFL caoch (esepcially one that comes from the parcells/beliceck tree) really believe that you can get pressure on someone (especially a super mobile QB like Wallace) rushing 3 men against 5 blockers. Its absurd. Even my grandmother could see that 3 vs 5 isnt the way to go. (esepcially on a wet field where the DB's and LB's are gonna have trouble in coverage).

It's almost a silver lining that Miami and Chad can't really come up here and take anythiing away from us....It's already gone.That Stadium just might be 70% Miami fans this week..... And for the rest of us, we can at least turn it off... The pain is already done. The outcom eof the game is pretty much expected - It'll be interesting to see the Vegas line - How could anyone bet on the Jets?They should just send the practice squad and get a better draft pick. I'm really not sure how the team could practice and be ready for a game this week knowing the opportunities they sputtered away.
The way things go for this team, I can see the Jets actually winning this game...only to see the Patriots pull out a win in Buffalo - in overtime.

Worst decision of all his poor decisions and smacked of desperation. They had all three time outs and the 2 minute warning. Not making it loses the game right there as Seattle is all but guaranteed at least a FG.
I didn't necessarily have a huge problem with the decision, but, yes, the playcall. Granted, Coles almost came up with the catch, but it was a very low percentage call that required a perfect throw in double coverage. Seems like a quick out to one of the WRs or Keller would have been a much safer route.

the thing i just dont understand is how they can rush 3 guys all game. The whole point of the 3-4 defense is that its supposed to confuse the O-line because the blitz can come from anywhere. Well, that cant really happen when you dont EVER blitz. I mean honestly, how can any NFL caoch (esepcially one that comes from the parcells/beliceck tree) really believe that you can get pressure on someone (especially a super mobile QB like Wallace) rushing 3 men against 5 blockers. Its absurd. Even my grandmother could see that 3 vs 5 isnt the way to go. (esepcially on a wet field where the DB's and LB's are gonna have trouble in coverage).
YUP.. Unbelieveble...For weeks now I said All I want to see is the defense sending the house and the Offense running the ball - Simple.Weird how they ran that defense. Against a few OL and QB's who should have been rattled - It's as if they played practice games the past few weeks to see if the QB's could eventually find an open WR..

this loss doesn't rank too high up on the list mostly because the Jets have looked so bad the last several weeks and I was already prepared for another west coast defeat. The worst jets losses are the ones you don't see coming. The coaching has been bad and Favre just looks finished to me. The Jets need to see what they have in the youngster Brett Ratliff. He carried the Jets in preseason, and looked to have a much better pocket awareness than Clemens has shown. If Favre doesn't come back (and I hope he doesn't!), They need to open up the QB position to competition, and my money is on Ratliff winning the job

this loss doesn't rank too high up on the list mostly because the Jets have looked so bad the last several weeks and I was already prepared for another west coast defeat. The worst jets losses are the ones you don't see coming. The coaching has been bad and Favre just looks finished to me. The Jets need to see what they have in the youngster Brett Ratliff. He carried the Jets in preseason, and looked to have a much better pocket awareness than Clemens has shown. If Favre doesn't come back (and I hope he doesn't!), They need to open up the QB position to competition, and my money is on Ratliff winning the job
:pickle: The Big comparison this morninig is the Jets collapse Vs the Mets the past 2 years...IMO, the Mets were favroites in MLB for quite a while and had a very legit shot to win TWO Championships the past 2 years... Last year with Sanatana especially.Even if the Jets made the playoffs, the road was long and hard and a Championship was a pipe dream....I really don't think there is much of a comparison... And I agree, the sting isn't as bad when you see it coming and it's just bad football - But, I didn't see some rag tag OL dominating this DL- But, that goes back to why the hell the Jets are rushing 3 guys all day. COACHING.Also agree on Ratliff... I think the Jets go into next season with a better identity on offense without mixing things up for Favre and a new DC.

Could the Jets draft a QB high next year? I am just wondering what the cap would look like with all the FA moves from this year. I'll hang up and listen.....

Just spoke to my dad who has had tix since Namath signed - we planned on purchasing PSLs to stay in the lower deck - now we are going to the upper deck.

To give this team thousands of dollars for the privlege of paying for overpriced gameday tix is just ridiculous. I have a feeling many other fans will do the same and we may be looking at a revised PSL plan or there will be an empty lower deck on Sundays - LOL!

Joe B screaming in agony this am - sounded like a wounded animal! :bag:
Damn.. Missed the begining.Joe B is classic to listen to in times like this....
Awesome - some highlights - Mangini coached the worst game he ever saw - would be an insult to Herm to compare him to Mangini"Eat another burger Eric"he can't see how anyone wouldn't want mangini fired unless you're related to him"Absolute baffoon-idiot coach that has no business being on the football field"On Favre, "GET LOST, GET 'IM OUT!!!! GO FISHING IN MISSISSIPPI FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!"On Coles - get him out of here like right now..."I'm sick of that cry baby, send him back to the Redskinsand the classic"The Dolphins have Parcells - Michael Corleone; the Patriots have Bill Bellicheck - Sonny Corleone; and the Jets have Eric Mangini - Fredo Corleone."

Users who are viewing this thread