What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another Reskins Signing - Carter (1 Viewer)

I think the point that most people are trying to make is that the Salary Cap is a joke - if its real purpose is to level the playing field it doesn't do a real good job

Obviously the Skins are getting around the CAP quite easily
Quite the contrary, this is precisely why they don't win a championship.Anyone with some cap room can go out and sign all the players they want, but without the coaching staff and team chemistry in place, they won't win anything.

And in three years, all of these guys (save for maybe one) will have to be cut loose because their contracts can't be restructured.

You rarely see them restructure contracts. You almost always see them sign these guys to big contracts with lots of guaranteed money and then cut them loose after a few years.

I'll take a few elite players for a career that lead a defense or offense than a lot of above average players with no cohesiveness. Most teams would, too.
Did you even watch the Skins play last season. Where is this lack of team chemistry or cohesiveness you speak of? That argument expired about 2 seasons ago when Joe Gibbs arrived.

All these "great" offseason signings, year after year, haven't helped them yet. I'm thinking it will be much of the same results next season.

All these "great" offseason signings, year after year, haven't helped them yet. I'm thinking it will be much of the same results next season.
You mean a 4 total win improvement over the previous year and in the playoffs? Sweet!

The Redskins have subscribed to the Isaiah Thomas school of sports managment, it's so crazy it just might work.

I'm absolutely baffled...how is Washington affording all of these guys!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! :wall:
Its simple - they give all the money up front (in bonus) and pay very small salaries. Knowing they can spread the bonus over 5-6 years they anticipate the Salary Cap will grow.In 2001 it was ~60million - now its ~100million

Snyder is banking on the fact that the cap will be up to 150 million by 2012.

Easy to write off all this bonus money by than
This will eventually catch up to them and they will have to do a "complete-roster-purge" ala the 1999 49ers. By doing these high signing bonus, low base salary contracts and cutting/renegotiating prior to the end of the contract they are adding "dead money" to their cap number.This process can go on for many years, but eventually the dead money will be too much to overcome. My guess is that at the end of Gibbs' tenure with the 'Skins, they will basicly cut a third of the roster loose, take a huge cap hit while adding nothing, and start over from scratch the following season.

I'm absolutely baffled...how is Washington affording all of these guys!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! :wall:
Its simple - they give all the money up front (in bonus) and pay very small salaries. Knowing they can spread the bonus over 5-6 years they anticipate the Salary Cap will grow.In 2001 it was ~60million - now its ~100million

Snyder is banking on the fact that the cap will be up to 150 million by 2012.

Easy to write off all this bonus money by than
This will eventually catch up to them and they will have to do a "complete-roster-purge" ala the 1999 49ers. By doing these high signing bonus, low base salary contracts and cutting/renegotiating prior to the end of the contract they are adding "dead money" to their cap number.This process can go on for many years, but eventually the dead money will be too much to overcome. My guess is that at the end of Gibbs' tenure with the 'Skins, they will basicly cut a third of the roster loose, take a huge cap hit while adding nothing, and start over from scratch the following season.
It seems to me I've heard this prediction every year for about the past 5 and so far it has never come to pass. Besides, the Redskins are already in permanent CAP HELL until the end of time. Just read some posts of about a week and a half ago for details.

Lots of bonuses in the last 3 years of the contract, when the CBA may or may not be renewed. Notice how all of these deals are similar? It's because the cap guys there know exactly what they are doing.
The CBA was just extended for 6 more years. It was set to expire 2008, so the 6 year extension puts the next capless year at 2013.

Lots of bonuses in the last 3 years of the contract, when the CBA may or may not be renewed.  Notice how all of these deals are similar?  It's because the cap guys there know exactly what they are doing.
The CBA was just extended for 6 more years. It was set to expire 2008, so the 6 year extension puts the next capless year at 2013.
Once again, both sides can opt out after three years. But I think this would hurt the Skins (short-term) not help them.
• If you're wondering, the final season of the six-year labor deal, 2011, is currently a capped year, with 2012 looming as an uncapped season designed to bring both sides back to the bargaining table. But what hasn't been reported is that NFL owners and the union both have the right to terminate the final two years of the CBA if they don't like the way the economics work for their side, meaning 2009 could be the final capped year and 2010 uncapped.

That possibility led one NFL executive to tell me Thursday, "It's really a three-year extension [2007-09], not a six-year like everyone is saying. One way or another we would have had a cap for this year, and now we've extended that for at least three more years. But 2010 and 2011 can be wiped out by either side, and we'd have to go back to the table at that point. It's not a good deal, but at least it's done.''

So there's a chance we won't have quite as much labor peace in the NFL as we first assumed.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...ents/index.html

without the coaching staff and team chemistry in place, they won't win anything.
:confused:
And in three years, all of these guys (save for maybe one) will have to be cut loose because their contracts can't be restructured.
:confused: :confused:
You rarely see them restructure contracts.
:confused: :confused: :confused: There's so much wrong with this post that I don't know where to begin.

Is Carter simply replacing Arrington, or is he going to play DE?
I think he'd be a much better fit at DE in the Redskins 4-3. They've been lacking an elite pass rusher at the DE spot for years.
:goodposting: That's the idea. It was, however, a bonus that Carter has also played OLB in the 3-4 because Williams apparently wants to run a 3-4 more in certain game situations.

Right....Ok. A rather complex post to counter a rather simple comment....one that can obviously be made year after year after year about the Washington Redskins. It would be easy to be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of words here, but the bottom line is offering up $31million to a guy who caught 35 balls makes NO SENSE, and giving away 3rd and 4ths for a mediocre out off a garbage team.....what am I doing even reacting to such idiocy?? Hey 'Skins fans.....just enjoy....your OFFSEASON. You guys win that Superbowl every friggin' year. And save the stats.....Ive got a search key too, guy.
The irony of this reasoning is that Snyder used to offer up this money, circa 5-6 years ago, to guys who had put up large numbers in the past. People criticized him (rightly so) for acquiring over-the-hill players no longer worth that money. Now he's signing the guys who are on the rise, and the criticism is that they're wasting money because the players haven't proven anything. :confused:

This comes down to talent evaluation. Lloyd came from arguably the offense with the worst QB's and o-line in football. Randle-El came from a team that threw as infrequently as any team has in the last 15 years. Archuleta and Carter came from defenses that had little talent on them and that had them playing out of their natural positions.

Clearly, the Redskins think these guys are capable of more than they showed in recent years. If they're wrong, then go ahead and criticize, but I'm going to wait at least a year before I draw any conclusions.

Right....Ok. A rather complex post to counter a rather simple comment....one that can obviously be made year after year after year about the Washington Redskins. It would be easy to be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of words here, but the bottom line is offering up $31million to a guy who caught 35 balls makes NO SENSE, and giving away 3rd and 4ths for a mediocre out off a garbage team.....what am I doing even reacting to such idiocy?? Hey 'Skins fans.....just enjoy....your OFFSEASON. You guys win that Superbowl every friggin' year. And save the stats.....Ive got a search key too, guy.
The irony of this reasoning is that Snyder used to offer up this money, circa 5-6 years ago, to guys who had put up large numbers in the past. People criticized him (rightly so) for acquiring over-the-hill players no longer worth that money. Now he's signing the guys who are on the rise, and the criticism is that they're wasting money because the players haven't proven anything. :confused:

This comes down to talent evaluation. Lloyd came from arguably the offense with the worst QB's and o-line in football. Randle-El came from a team that threw as infrequently as any team has in the last 15 years. Archuleta and Carter came from defenses that had little talent on them and that had them playing out of their natural positions.

Clearly, the Redskins think these guys are capable of more than they showed in recent years. If they're wrong, then go ahead and criticize, but I'm going to wait at least a year before I draw any conclusions.
:goodposting: I enjoy reading posts with such logic.

This will eventually catch up to them and they will have to do a "complete-roster-purge" ala the 1999 49ers. By doing these high signing bonus, low base salary contracts and cutting/renegotiating prior to the end of the contract they are adding "dead money" to their cap number.

This process can go on for many years, but eventually the dead money will be too much to overcome.
Don't you remember? That was what was supposed happening 2 years ago. And last year. And this year. Meanwhile each of those years, the visible evidence says it's not happening.

This will eventually catch up to them and they will have to do a "complete-roster-purge" ala the 1999 49ers. By doing these high signing bonus, low base salary contracts and cutting/renegotiating prior to the end of the contract they are adding "dead money" to their cap number.

This process can go on for many years, but eventually the dead money will be too much to overcome.
Don't you remember? That was what was supposed happening 2 years ago. And last year. And this year. Meanwhile each of those years, the visible evidence says it's not happening.
Yes, but if you say it enough times, sooner or later it will come true. :P

Users who are viewing this thread