What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Bryant, still starting if Jeff Garcia is a no-go? (1 Viewer)

Chunky Soup

Footballguy
Garcia is a tough guy, but reports are out that having missed practice twice now, McCown might get the nod. Thoughts on starting Bryant if McCown is the QB?

Garcia is a tough guy, but reports are out that having missed practice twice now, McCown might get the nod. Thoughts on starting Bryant if McCown is the QB?
not to jump the gun here, but I wouldn't start Bryant, regardless..he's almost certain to have mediocre stats following last week's monster numbers..this is,after all, Antonio Bryant. He's too hot-N-cold to be counted on for everyday use..just my two cents, but he has been very mediocre all year long, last week is the classic 'fluke' game..I'd stay off that bandwagon this week..

Prior to last week Bryant was #30 in ppg, #29 in overall points at WR. He's currently #13 in ppg, #12 in overall points at WR. He's pretty much been the only thing that's worked in the Bucs offense this year and yet he still gets numbers week to week even though defenses can key on him. He's getting open and making plays. I don't think McCown is going to be a huge drop off from the 2008 Garcia (the guy's been downright brutal at several points this year).

He's been a clear starter in start 3 WR 12 team FF leagues all year long. You better have some great options to put in your lineup to be sitting Bryant at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanner9919 said:
Chunky Soup said:
not to jump the gun here, but I wouldn't start Bryant, regardless..he's almost certain to have mediocre stats following last week's monster numbers..this is,after all, Antonio Bryant. He's too hot-N-cold to be counted on for everyday use..just my two cents, but he has been very mediocre all year long, last week is the classic 'fluke' game..I'd stay off that bandwagon this week..
The thread isn't about AB in general, but whether his QB will have a negative impact on him. Maybe you should go to the AC forum or something.btw, 66/936/5, while basically not playing the first two games, is pretty good with 3 games left. And, as far as fluke games go, I'm not expecting 9/200/2. His targets/numbers recently, especially since the Bucs may have to pass to stay in this game, means AB has a good chance at getting opportunities. That's what I care about. The question is, can a QB give him the best opportunities.

Tanner9919 said:
Chunky Soup said:
not to jump the gun here, but I wouldn't start Bryant, regardless..he's almost certain to have mediocre stats following last week's monster numbers..this is,after all, Antonio Bryant. He's too hot-N-cold to be counted on for everyday use..
Isn't hot-n-cold the definition of WR?
Tanner9919 said:
just my two cents, but he has been very mediocre all year long, last week is the classic 'fluke' game..

I'd stay off that bandwagon this week..
As for mediocre, I'm wondering what the definition of that is... Bryant has been on par with Steve Smith, Randy Moss and Brandon Marshall this season in my leagues. :D I don't play ppr, so I'm not sure if that makes a huge difference.Yeah, last week was a highlight reel, but it's not the only big game he's had, he has 4 other games in the mid-high teens in points. I guess I just don't see "mediocre" there.

I wouldnt change his outlook at all, except maybe to improve it. When McCown was in last year, the leading receiver had at least 71 yards. Galloway ripped off a 7-159 with McCown in. He throws a nice deep ball and is not afraid to take chances. No worries on Bryant if McCown gets the call.

I wouldnt change his outlook at all, except maybe to improve it. When McCown was in last year, the leading receiver had at least 71 yards. Galloway ripped off a 7-159 with McCown in. He throws a nice deep ball and is not afraid to take chances. No worries on Bryant if McCown gets the call.
I really dont see the correlation here. Two different quarterbacks with different styles. Not to mention Garcia is MUCH better McCown. Just because McCown had a game where the lead receiver had a nice day does not mean Bryant is the guy or that he will have a good day. I downgrade Bryant a lot if McCown plays.

I really dont see the correlation here. Two different quarterbacks with different styles. Not to mention Garcia is MUCH better McCown. Just because McCown had a game where the lead receiver had a nice day does not mean Bryant is the guy or that he will have a good day. I downgrade Bryant a lot if McCown plays.
If it's week 13 of last season, and the question is "will McCown hurt Galloway?", the answer is no:7-159, 6-87 the next two games. McCown started again in week 17. Galloway was out, and the WR who started in his place, Chad Lucas, had 5/82. This isn't just based on numbers though. Garcia is definitely a safer QB, better game manager than McCown, but for fantasy, McCown is just as good, if not better. He's got a better deep arm, he's more of a gambler, and he's just as good at scrambling and keeping the play alive. This is also based on watching McCown last year. I would liken McCown's game roughly to Sage Rosenfels, another QB who is not the best at ball security, but is a gamer and tries to make good things happen instead of throwing the ball away or otherwise conceding on a play.

I'm still not sure if I will start Bryant. makes no difference to me which QB is in.

Atlanta is ranking at 23rd passing DT not great..but they don't give up many passing TD's (only four last four games and one by a WR) and the only WR with a good game was S. Smith in last four games and that was a catch up game for Carolina.

Against Atlanta:

Brees- 230 yds RB Bush 2TD rec. highest receiver in game TE Shockley 5/64

Rivers-149 yds no passing TDs

Delhomme-295 yds 1 TD Muhammad - Smith highest receiver 8/168

Cutler-216 yds 1TD TE Graham

from CBS

Although he was limited practice on Friday and saw Luke McCown and Brian Griese split first-team reps, Buccaneers QB Jeff Garcia is expected to start Sunday at Atlanta according to head coach Jon Gruden. "We never like to see a guy not practice, particularly at that position, but he's an experienced guy," Gruden said of Garcia. "He did take some reps yesterday and the day before, so he has participated to a degree. This is just a tough situation right now, but we're hopeful he can play. ... Jeff's our starter and I'll leave it at that. If we have to make an adjustment we will." (Updated 12/12/2008).

That's what I was thinking. I call it chasing the trend. Guy goes off on the bench, then you drop him in the lineup but the team this week has watched all the tape and are not going to let the guy go off like last week. that being said, he has not been mediocre in PPR league. He's been top 20-25 before that monster game. That's solid WR2 rankings. Still, I'm sitting him this week.

Starting him over Wayne and Hixon.
I am loaded at WR so I have Wayne, Bowe, and Bryant as my WR3 and Wayne has just killed me over the last 8 weeks. The only week I benched him was against Pitt when he had his one big game in that stretch. Can I justify benching him against the Lions?

I am loaded at WR so I have Wayne, Bowe, and Bryant as my WR3 and Wayne has just killed me over the last 8 weeks. The only week I benched him was against Pitt when he had his one big game in that stretch. Can I justify benching him against the Lions?
You know i was saying the same thing. But I thought he would be good last week and he had 5-60 or something like that. Bryant seems to be the better pick right now.

:shrug: Detroit hasn't been giving up much through the air
for the season, the Detroit pass defense has yielded an average of:225 passing yards, 1.5 TDs, and only 0.3 picksIt has been the last few weeks that the Lion pass defense has played better:155 passing yards, 1.0 TDs, and .5 picksThe first half of the season, opposing passers were having career days against the Lions. They have played better of late.

:shrug: Detroit hasn't been giving up much through the air
Because teams haven't been throwing on them, not because they're good. They have the least # of pass attempts against them in the NFL, and the highest QB rating against in the NFL.

Bryant's had at least 45 yards receiving per game since Week 7. He's Garcia's top guy. He's Tampa's best WR.

I'll be starting him as my WR2 over Vincent Jackson, Davonne Bess, and Steve Breaston.

Bryant's had at least 45 yards receiving per game since Week 7. He's Garcia's top guy. He's Tampa's best WR.I'll be starting him as my WR2 over Vincent Jackson, Davonne Bess, and Steve Breaston.
:confused: Starting him, but without too much confidence. Games where TB is behind, AB has been forced the ball. This could easily be one of those games on the road @ ATL.

I have no choice but to start him. If only he would have saved the explosion last week for this week. I had the #1 seed and a bye. My lineup of McNabb, Gore, Slaton, Fitzgerald, Bryant, Carlson, Bironas, and Arizona exploded for 162 points (highest score of the season). All for nothing, however. And now I have a sick feeling they will do the opposite this week (Kevin Smith is in for Gore, Ten D is in for Arizona). Anyway, I know, I know, no one cares. I just hope Bryant puts up a good 15 points this week. I'm going to need it.

I'm slotting Bryant in because at this point, my opponent has Garcia starting. I'm a big believer in starting the guy you think can score the most points, but this link up is too prevalent to ignore, and Bryant is a big part of this offence. In a PPR format, he's been very solid through the year for me.

Latest news has Garcia 'out' today so don't let your opp QB affect your decision.

I'm slotting Bryant in because at this point, my opponent has Garcia starting. I'm a big believer in starting the guy you think can score the most points, but this link up is too prevalent to ignore, and Bryant is a big part of this offence. In a PPR format, he's been very solid through the year for me.

OK, now that Chucky has opted for Griese over McCown, what's the view now? I believe AB had his big game against Chicago w/ Griese at the helm, but they had to throw in that game.

Griese is starting. He has done well in past with A Bryant(IIRC he had A Bryants first huge game this year). I am sticking with A Bryant.

I thought that Hilliard had his "good" games when Griese was the QB rather than Bryant. I guess I need to go and check.

I am starting Bryant at this point ahead of Bess and Hilliard. I may move Bess into the WR3 role.

Starting Bryant as WR3 over Royal & Bess. Could decide it and I have a feeling about Royal, but I can't jump off now.

In PPR games 2-6 with Griese

Bryant

Out

Hilliard

So, it seems there is little difference with each averaging about 10-11 ppg but Bryant (as we all know) is the more erratic scoring WR.

In PPR games 2-6 with GrieseBryantOut23.87.912.82.3Hilliard8.117.74.112.9So, it seems there is little difference with each averaging about 10-11 ppg but Bryant (as we all know) is the more erratic scoring WR.
Whoops, I included Game 6 for Bryant and Griese was not the QB. So, with Griese as QB Bryant averaged just less than 15 ppg. I'm going with Bryant.

Bryant and Hilliard had a good week 3 game because Griese had to throw the ball 67 times..only 47 rushing yards against Chicago. I don't think he needs to throw that much against Atlanta. I hate to sit AB after last weeks results.

Decisions decision...

I've got Branch, Evans, and Driver as other options. Still got Bryant in right now, but really considering Branch.

:tumbleweed:

Users who are viewing this thread