What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Fastpitch Dads/Coaches here (1 Viewer)

belljr said:
Thats the one argument I hear from rec parents.  "Why don't you let them just be kids and have fun."   It makes my skin crawl. Just because they may be working harder and playing a "different level" doesn't mean they aren't having fun.   Obviously as they get older its going to be more "work" but by that time you have to think they love the game
Nailed it.  I know people that recreation cycle on 'cruisers'.  That's a great way to see the sights, on a beautiful day.  No argument.  I know people that train to pedal 100M, timed.  These people were once kids.  Some kids want to compete at the highest levels.  It's who they are. It's what makes them happy.  

By the way - for anyone that coaches - I recommend going to this one time

https://bethebest.com/

I've been going with the guy I coach with for the past 4 years.  There is a lot of stuff.  Some of it will not translate to your program, some is a waste of time, some coaches will literally contradict each other from session to session and some you won't agree with.  You need to take all the information and break it down for what you want can use.

It has scaled back the past couple years but still the value we get is hearing from the big time coaches.  (Tenn, Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, Michigan etc) and occasionally there are players that show up - they all have their styles and they talk a lot about the mental games but they also have sessions for specific drills, training  and other things.

Its just funny listening to a coach of a top team in the country saying they have to treat their teams like 12 year olds :lol:   And how they have to motivate them differently etc.  Plus how girls at that level still don't do the basics right all the time.  The mental parts of the game and building a program won't always relate to young kids 10/12u or if you are town ball team.  But overall its still a good experience.   I hope it keeps going as I said the last year or so was scaled back.

I seriously would want to hear stories about talking to school ball coaches that were successful.  Not sarcasm.  I had 2 conversations with DD1's HS coach.  Heard many stories from other parents.  And for the next 6-8 years parked my chair down the foul line.  I'm clearly biased.  I don't recall ever going to a travel or club ball coach.  IME club coaches call mandatory parent meetings and say exactly what's going on, and will have candid conversations.  
My question would be what is deemed as successful?  When I was coaching HS baseball I had many discussions with parents over the years.  Some were venting by the parent about situations they didn't know anything about.  Some were civil questions that were answered truthfully and addressed any issues that were propping up and they went away satisfied.  I found that parents that truly wanted to understand my decisions were pleasantly surprised and accepted the information I gave them.  The ones that wanted to vent and yell and try and "change my mind" without understanding where I was coming from were never happy.  It also gave me more insight into why their kid behaved the way the did.  You can really tell what kind of parent a kid has pretty quickly when you are making kids work hard and you see how they handle those situations. 

I can tell by your posts you are serious about the sport and know what you are talking about so you understand that an outsider (parent) that isn't at every practice seeing the players interact, work ethic, attitude, etc doesn't really have any idea what the coach really sees at practice.  Much of that dictates things such as playtime and positional decisions.  Seeing just game action doesn't give anything near the true picture of a player and why they may or may not be playing much.  As a coach you are teaching more than just a game and sometimes a superior talent may screw off in practice and not put in the work it takes to play.  A lesser talented player sometimes gets the play time because they are a harder worker, better teammate, and deserves the chance.  Parents don't see that and believe their kid can do no wrong.

I had a parent come up to me and ask why their kid was suddenly benched.  I explained that his kid was lazy and had a poor attitude at practice lately and it was only getting worse.  He didn't believe me so I told him to come watch a few practices.  Unfortunately, he came to the next practice and sat in the middle of the bleachers for the whole world to see.  Amazingly his kid had his best practice of the year.  He hustled, didn't give any attitude, and was the best kid out there.  After practice the parent came up and said he didn't see any of the issues I had explained the previous week. I told him if he wanted to see how his kid really practiced he needed to hide in the bushes and not let him know he was there.   I then asked him if he could come to every practice and sit in view of everyone because it would make his kid do a lot better.  He didn't like that response and I didn't hear from him the rest of the year.  Next day (with no dad in the stands) his kid was right back to disrespecting the coaching staff, other players, and his typical laziness.  That was the last year that kid played for the school. 

So what do you mean by a "successful" interaction between a parent and HS coach?

I think it depends on the level.  They have had 1 practice so far this year and all they did was stand in the out field.  So in my case. Theres not much to go on :)

I seriously would want to hear stories about talking to school ball coaches that were successful.  Not sarcasm.  I had 2 conversations with DD1's HS coach.  Heard many stories from other parents.  And for the next 6-8 years parked my chair down the foul line.  I'm clearly biased.  I don't recall ever going to a travel or club ball coach.  IME club coaches call mandatory parent meetings and say exactly what's going on, and will have candid conversations.  
My wife and I talk with our older daughter's high school coach a lot.  He's pretty open to communication as much as he can be.  He is only the softball coach and not a teacher at the school too, so maybe he cares more?  I obviously don't know the people involved but it might  just be a misunderstanding or something.  I don't think it is an unreasonable request to ask a coach to talk to you for 5 minutes.  I get letting your kid learn how to talk to adults and handling things themselves but sometimes they need to see a behavior to do it effectively.  

Last edited by a moderator:
So what do you mean by a "successful" interaction between a parent and HS coach?
A good answer to the question, word for word, what belljr wrote.  I suggest players ask "Coach, what am I doing, or what am I not doing, to get X" where X = playing time, play at a position, spot in the order, etc. 

A good [successful interaction] answer is you need to do 'this, that and the other thing'. A bad answer is the one belljr's dd got.  [And I also suggest players speak to coaches, never parents, same as belljr steered his daughter].

Gally, I can see from your posts, and I really appreciate, that you coached the game/mechanics and the parents/players [and sometimes the second one is the bigger challenge].  In my personal experience only, you are in the 20 of the 80/20.  I have a pretty tough assessment of MN softball coaches. I write in generalities, and I should qualify my posts by acknowledging there are weak coaches in every sport, at every age, for school ball and club ball, just as there are weaker and more capable employees in my work place, or students in a school, etc.

My daughter and I are watching Arkansas vs UGA on ESPNU right now!

P.S. she's a 10u pitcher, I am a 10u assistant coach / pitching coach (by default), and VP of the board.

PS2 I am REALLY becoming tired of the board... there are very few of us who prioritize what is best for the girls over what is easiest for the league :hot:  
UPDATE: Today I became the 5th person to resign from the board this calendar year.  There have not been 5 board resignations ever before this year :(  

UPDATE: Today I became the 5th person to resign from the board this calendar year.  There have not been 5 board resignations ever before this year :(  
I was on the LL board for 1 yr.  I saw how it turned rational people into irrational people almost immediately.  I am not sure why it does that but seems to be the power trip to control things and get your own way.  Happened to good people.  You are probably lucky to get out in tact.......hahaha

Why such turmoil? Is there a real doosher running the show or something? 

My daughter can not hit middle school pitching :lmao:   She swings at low ones and is so far in front its not funny.   The 43ft and slow speed has definitely messed with her.   She can't wait on the ball to save her life :lmao:

My daughter can not hit middle school pitching :lmao:   She swings at low ones and is so far in front its not funny.   The 43ft and slow speed has definitely messed with her.   She can't wait on the ball to save her life :lmao:
That is one of the hardest things to teach younger players.  The ball looks like a beach ball coming in when it is so slow and they just want to hurry and hit it. 

A good drill to help counter that is to actually pitch like a high arc pitch.  Mix that in or if you know a slow pitcher is coming do a few rounds of nothing but arc-ed pitches.  Have the batter focus on trying to go up the middle to opposite field.  It helps keep the hands back and in order to hit the ball with any authority they have to really explode the hands to the ball to generate any pop.  Many times younger kids just slow their bat down and lose all power.

Up in the box and really try and hit to the opposite field.  The only way to hit with authority consistently off slow pitching.  You may still pull the ball but if you have the mindset of waiting it helps keep the hands back. 

That is one of the hardest things to teach younger players.  The ball looks like a beach ball coming in when it is so slow and they just want to hurry and hit it. 

A good drill to help counter that is to actually pitch like a high arc pitch.  Mix that in or if you know a slow pitcher is coming do a few rounds of nothing but arc-ed pitches.  Have the batter focus on trying to go up the middle to opposite field.  It helps keep the hands back and in order to hit the ball with any authority they have to really explode the hands to the ball to generate any pop.  Many times younger kids just slow their bat down and lose all power.

Up in the box and really try and hit to the opposite field.  The only way to hit with authority consistently off slow pitching.  You may still pull the ball but if you have the mindset of waiting it helps keep the hands back. 
Yeah we do the oppo drill.  The machine was on 55 last night and kids were cranking it :lol:   But give her a 40mph fastball shes toast.   Changeup is still her weakness,

And its not power or keeping hand back.   Shes all in on her swing but way too early.   end of bat to third.    The low pitches she wrongfully assumes they are going to be strikes at the knees and realizes way too lat that its not reaching home plate lol

ETA:  the tournament this weekend we're not too worried about beach balls :unsure:

Yeah we do the oppo drill.  The machine was on 55 last night and kids were cranking it :lol:   But give her a 40mph fastball shes toast.   Changeup is still her weakness,

And its not power or keeping hand back.   Shes all in on her swing but way too early.   end of bat to third.    The low pitches she wrongfully assumes they are going to be strikes at the knees and realizes way too lat that its not reaching home plate lol

ETA:  the tournament this weekend we're not too worried about beach balls :unsure:
I am sure you already know this but with a change of speeds the biggest problem for most youngsters is the weight shift and hands moving forward so you lose all power.  Being "all in" on her swing way too early is the issue with change of speeds.  She needs to learn to keep her hands back so she can still swing with authority on change of speeds. 

A straight oppo drill is different then learning to stay back on a change of speeds situation to still hit with some authority. 

local city softball president had to resign over embezzlement charges.  thousands of $$.  it can always be worse.

I am sure you already know this but with a change of speeds the biggest problem for most youngsters is the weight shift and hands moving forward so you lose all power.  Being "all in" on her swing way too early is the issue with change of speeds.  She needs to learn to keep her hands back so she can still swing with authority on change of speeds. 

A straight oppo drill is different then learning to stay back on a change of speeds situation to still hit with some authority. 
Let me rephrase.  Her bat speed is pretty fast.  Shes pulling the trigger too soon.   And when she pulls the trigger its the full authoritative swing. Her timing is off - shes not being fooled by the school pitchers.  Shes just way out in front of it and hits weak grounderss to third off the end of the bat.  There is no early weight shift or hand moving.  Shes in her loaded position and is starting her swings probably a half second too soon. 

Our tournaments are so much faster speed wise that is all she knows.  The changeups definitely are an issue that she needs to work on with what you mentioned..  But the school ball is just so much slower  than shes used to that even when she waits, takes a full powerful swing shes still too early with her timing.  She hasn't adjusted yet. 

oof, that makes for a lethal combination. What kind of shenanigans we talking about? 
The regular stuff like not taking play-up requests to the board for discussion, refusal to acknowledge late registration requests (after deciding to end registration early this year), preventing girls from playing in another rec league... oh, and secretly electing to the board (with no vote) and subsequently handing a head coaching spot (again with no vote or even discussion) to a dude who lost his job in local media for hitting his wife. You know, regular stuff like that  :rolleyes:  

The regular stuff like not taking play-up requests to the board for discussion, refusal to acknowledge late registration requests (after deciding to end registration early this year), preventing girls from playing in another rec league... oh, and secretly electing to the board (with no vote) and subsequently handing a head coaching spot (again with no vote or even discussion) to a dude who lost his job in local media for hitting his wife. You know, regular stuff like that  :rolleyes:  
Our board took scheduling a pitching clinic to insane levels.  

3 games on tap for younger daughter today. snow and rain in the area Friday and Saturday but her location is good to go I guess.  last game start time is 7 so I'm bringing some peppermint schnapps and hot chocolate. 

Ugggh!!!!!! Game 2 no where near as magical as Game 1.... I take these hard....lol..  This has replaced the emotional rollercoaster jet games always brought me when it was recommended I find a safe rubber room somewhere...

It was cold and she just didn't snap the ball like she can..... These games are funny, it's not about what team has more talent - It's more about who walks more at the most opportune times - They walked our Big hitters then got the little one's out - we walked their little one's so, their hitters can get them in... I guess that's just baseball....

Meanwhile... Our "Ace" that couldn't buy a strike all game last game got her motion down and HOLY @!$#$!## I can now see what Belj was telling me about his daughter..... She was throwing HEAT and it was dangerous - The Ump warned us that she has to slow down, find better control and have the catcher actually catch - He was scared!!!

I can see now what happens when you get that pitcher who can throw HEAT - it's kinda scary for the girls new to facing pitching at all... And just wait till she hits one of these kids - they may never play the sport again!!!!

That said, if she fine tunes this Wildman act, we're probably winning it all - NOBODY in this league is hitting that stuff....

On to Game 3!!!!

Ugggh!!!!!! Game 2 no where near as magical as Game 1.... I take these hard....lol..  This has replaced the emotional rollercoaster jet games always brought me when it was recommended I find a safe rubber room somewhere...

It was cold and she just didn't snap the ball like she can..... These games are funny, it's not about what team has more talent - It's more about who walks more at the most opportune times - They walked our Big hitters then got the little one's out - we walked their little one's so, their hitters can get them in... I guess that's just baseball....

Meanwhile... Our "Ace" that couldn't buy a strike all game last game got her motion down and HOLY @!$#$!## I can now see what Belj was telling me about his daughter..... She was throwing HEAT and it was dangerous - The Ump warned us that she has to slow down, find better control and have the catcher actually catch - He was scared!!!

I can see now what happens when you get that pitcher who can throw HEAT - it's kinda scary for the girls new to facing pitching at all... And just wait till she hits one of these kids - they may never play the sport again!!!!

That said, if she fine tunes this Wildman act, we're probably winning it all - NOBODY in this league is hitting that stuff....

On to Game 3!!!!
The ump can F off. It's part of the job pal and if you dont like it, quit. 

My last year of coaching U12, first game of the season a girl got hit by a pitch pretty hard. I spent the rest of the season trying to get the younger girls to stay in the batters box. It was a futile effort for 2-3 of them, every first step was backwards. :sadbanana:  

On to Game 3!!!!
FTR - i wasn't referring to pitching but throwing to other girls in general (like SS to 1B)  :)

We played in a 14B (we are 12U) this weekend and boy did we learn some things.  We were not ready.  Well our #1 pitcher is also injured.

The pitching actually wasn't that much better than we are used too but there are a ton less strikeouts and girls are much stronger in general.  A lot more plays are also made in the field

We won our first game 13-10.   My daughter pitched and gave up 6 runs in the first - some errors - mostly hits.  The next 4 innings she only gave up 4 runs.   This was the one team we thought we could beat.  Things we learned from that game were even the next age group - there are still some physical mistakes and mental mistakes the older kids make.  Daughter threw somewhere around 75% strikes (a personal best).  Not bad for her first time from 43ft.   She need to work on her speed at this distance and get better with her changeup.   She did pretty well overall for the most part, only 1 walk. I know 10 runs is not a great outing in general but for a first time it was something to build on.

Games 2 we played a really good team (the ended up winning the whole thing). So we experimented with our lineups and had a pitcher pitch who doesn't normally throw for us.  Their pitcher was pretty solid but we got down early and the girls were flat.  We lost 13-3.  But we were ok losing and experimenting this game. 

Game 3 - girls came out flat again the first couple innings.  We were actually down 13-1 at one point and on the brink of a mercy when we battled back and lost 13-10 with base runners on in the bottom of the last inning.  We probably could have beat this team on a different day. My daughter made a bonehead play in CF but completely made up for it later with a few sweet grabs at SS.  OVerall we wish we had this one back.  Our #2 struggled this game with control.  I think if we had our #1 available we would have manged to win this one or at least not given up so many runs.

Sunday - bracket play.   We ended up playing our sister 14B team . Our ace was in for as long as her ankle held up.  We lost 5-2, with a couple of dumb moments. Overall the girls played great.   Our sister team made it to the finals.   Girls played well overall and we made the 14U team earn that win.  We probably gave them 2 runs but they gave us one.

We learned Our #1 is ready for the next age level :)    Our #2 is 50/50 right now.  Our #3 my daughter, could fill in at the next level but is not ready fully yet.   We faced a freshman pitcher and she was pretty good.  We only had 2 strikeouts (my kid looking was 1 ) :(    But we just couldn't manufacture runs. 

Also we learned that girls at 14U still make some mistakes we are currently making.  Not as many or as bad but they do happen

Overall we left a little disappointed.  We felt like we could have had a couple better showings overall but we learned a few things also.  We gave up way too many runs than we should have.  The same "issues" keep biting us and some of them are physical.   For example - one girl cannot catch a linedrive over her head. But we work and work on it.  My daughter in practice will make the appropriate read on a fly ball, take a step back - and run down anything hit her way.  In a game she panics, takes a step in and then has to recover.  It cost us a run this weekend :lol:   She'll look like Willie Mays one play then Dexter Fowler the next.   

Same for her hitting - for as great as she looked Saturday - she reverted back to her old bad habits on Sunday.   But if I take her to a cage, machine, hit off a tee, soft toss, whatever drill we do she looks great.   Get in a game and its completely out the window. :wall:    Then you go to work on it and she looks great again :lol:    

With all the girls we work and work on the mental game as well and it still hasn't clicked all the time 

Our biggest hurdle right now is girls are not moving to cuts and backups quick enough.  Especially for plays at home.  But I forget sometimes they are still mostly all 12 year olds. SOme days they look GREAT and others well - like they are 12 :)

Overall a good learning experience but not as good as we liked.

We only had 2 strikeouts (my kid looking was 1 ) :(    

LOL.. As the asst coach I was working on a speech....

"Girls there's 2 things in baseball/Softball that are PAINFUL to watch and you just have to limit..... We're GREAT at doing these 2 things ALL DAY"

1) Watching 3rd call strike - then they all go back to the dugout with stories about how bad the pitch was...

2) Players watch a ground ball and sit there deciding if it was close enough for them to get it.... NO, you get it..... No YOU.....

LOL... I'd much rather you all crashed into each other trying to get the ball

just GET THE *^*!@%$ BALL!!!!!!!!!

:lol:   All fall (I don't know how many strikeouts as a team we had but only 2 were looking) Our girls usually get their cuts.  My daughter froze on a nasty off speed pitch on the inside corner.

On video it may have been a tad inside but she was fooled.  

LOL.. As the asst coach I was working on a speech....

"Girls there's 2 things in baseball/Softball that are PAINFUL to watch and you just have to limit..... We're GREAT at doing these 2 things ALL DAY"

1) Watching 3rd call strike - then they all go back to the dugout with stories about how bad the pitch was...

2) Players watch a ground ball and sit there deciding if it was close enough for them to get it.... NO, you get it..... No YOU.....

LOL... I'd much rather you all crashed into each other trying to get the ball

just GET THE *^*!@%$ BALL!!!!!!!!!
The first practice of the year I would have all the girls at about the shortstop position. I'd then ask, if i was playing short, which balls are mine? They would throw out various answers and I'd wait til the guesses were done and then I'd tell them they were all wrong. The correct answer is, every ball is mine until someone tells me that it isn't. 

Although they all know the answer now, it seemed to work at the time. We rarely have balls drop in because girls are looking at each other. 

Ugggh!!!!!! Game 2 no where near as magical as Game 1....
yeah... our Game 2 was rough as well.  3 girls cried, including my daughter (who quit softball again as a result).  The worst thing about my daughter crying is that I have no idea why.  It was after both innings she pitched... and she did great pitching both innings.  There were a bunch of walks mixed in there, but she struck out the side both times and only let up 3 runs in two innings combined.  I don't get it.  

I am out of town for business, so I will miss game 3, but she is planning on playing at this point  ;)

Jaysus said:
yeah... our Game 2 was rough as well.  3 girls cried, including my daughter (who quit softball again as a result).  The worst thing about my daughter crying is that I have no idea why.  It was after both innings she pitched... and she did great pitching both innings.  There were a bunch of walks mixed in there, but she struck out the side both times and only let up 3 runs in two innings combined.  I don't get it.  

I am out of town for business, so I will miss game 3, but she is planning on playing at this point  ;)

We had a girl start crying and it went on for like 2 full innings...

She came off the field and I'm like "whoa what's wrong...... umm.... coach... we got a crier... "

He said yeah, she thought she got hit and deserved 1st. (The ball bounced 2x and nipped her)

So, I analyzed The Tape..... That horrible inning she had... man, 1 simple toss the ball to the catcher for the force would have made the inning a Gem 1 ER

Another hit back to the pitcher should have been an out... 0 er.

This pitcher isn't doing herself any favors.... I should wake her up and make her watch this  :bag:

ETA:

Actually see another play between the P and 3B that should have been hers...

A tough scorer could give the P 3 Errors in this inning.....

I think I have some drills for practice today!!!!!!  Pitcher under Hands.... heck all these kids need to practice a good underhand

BOTTOM LINE.... She pitched well (better than I thought), which in this level means the kids hit you, gotta work on these fielding plays

And.. the Beat goes on.... Another shellacking.

We were without 3 of our best players so we had 3-4 players that can play.... The girl left to play 3rd, while ok and has size, can't throw to 1st fast enough.

Missing our best pitcher (who opts for her travel games instead) and our best catcher.

So besides the reality that a beginning pitcher gets hit hard because they are now able to throw the perfectly hittable pitch, we had no one in the field to make plays

Still having a blast tho....  We're 0-3 but, with a full squad hopeful to take at least 1 game this week!!!!!!

Weird but, we're Never on the Good team.... Our hope is that "Wild Thing" can find some accuracy and we have the best pitcher in the league at some point to rip thru the playoffs.

I'm emotionally stable and at this point, continuing to tell my Girl all she can do it throw strikes, If we have no one to field the hits just brush it off and keep getting those throws in to build experience and strength.....

WOW... What a position for a little girl to sign up to be a Pinata... lol.. She's battling out there though and I like it!!!!!

Also starting to see why playing Up in Talent is something you want to get to fast - to have ppl actually field those hits would be exciting and this might get painful after a while

She did turn a double play while at 1st which was nice too!!!!

Daughter started the first freshman game of the year. Opponent was terrible and if not for my daughters throwing error, she would ave pitched a perfect game. Wasn’t that impressive...I was just happy she didn’t walk anyone the first game out. 

Reaper said:
And.. the Beat goes on.... Another shellacking.

We were without 3 of our best players so we had 3-4 players that can play.... The girl left to play 3rd, while ok and has size, can't throw to 1st fast enough.

Missing our best pitcher (who opts for her travel games instead) and our best catcher.

So besides the reality that a beginning pitcher gets hit hard because they are now able to throw the perfectly hittable pitch, we had no one in the field to make plays

Still having a blast tho....  We're 0-3 but, with a full squad hopeful to take at least 1 game this week!!!!!!

Weird but, we're Never on the Good team.... Our hope is that "Wild Thing" can find some accuracy and we have the best pitcher in the league at some point to rip thru the playoffs.

I'm emotionally stable and at this point, continuing to tell my Girl all she can do it throw strikes, If we have no one to field the hits just brush it off and keep getting those throws in to build experience and strength.....

WOW... What a position for a little girl to sign up to be a Pinata... lol.. She's battling out there though and I like it!!!!!

Also starting to see why playing Up in Talent is something you want to get to fast - to have ppl actually field those hits would be exciting and this might get painful after a while

She did turn a double play while at 1st which was nice too!!!!
I know the feeling, my pitching daughter has been on some turriball teams.  In 12u she pitched a game where her team committed 17 errors.  My personal favorite inning is the three strikeout other team scores five runs on three errors inning. It is the first hurdle to growing into an effective pitcher to know when you are pitching well but the team behind you just isn't fielding.  I  have always told my daughter try to average one strike out an inning and get balls that can be playable.  All you can do as a pitcher.

And to get the point across we have celebrated some losses.  

We had a good Saturday and was rained out Sunday.  I think we could have played but whatever.

We still have too many physical errors on routine plays.   We probably are 2 players short of where we really want/need to be.   Make no mistake our team is pretty decent but on the whole we have some holes.

Side note:  My daughter is trying out for the USSSA 12U Eastern Regional Team friday.  I just hope she has a good tryout as she is still a tad shy and doesn't always have the best tryouts (shy/nerves etc).  She won't stick out as someone who should not be there unless she completely tanks.  She should do ok but don't think she'll make the top 26 of the 100+ coming.  The only reason I even knew about it is another parent approached me and felt like she has a chance so I thought why not.  I'm doing this more for the experience and having her get used to bigger/better tryouts and talent. I hope she proves me wrong :)    I have no delusions that we have to do this to further her career or anything - just something she wanted to try.   If she makes it - AWESOME, if not it's fine.   Its semi money grabby anyway but make no mistake - if she makes the team we are going :)

Freshman team went to 2-0 after a 13-2 win. Daughter pitched fine and went 4-5 at the plate. Unfortunately, the coaches aren’t really into the games. My daughter needs to work on her change up and she said the coach never calls for one. She’ll have to start throwing them without being told. 

Good couple weeks, off the field anyway.  Both daughters will get to play in the all star games at the Sparkler.  Older daughters team had the players vote on their nominees, so cool to be nominated by your teammates.   That should be a lot of fun and a good chance for my older daughter to be seen by some college coaches.  

Also our pitching coach for the younger daughter is trying to put together a team around my younger daughter.  The coach also runs the organization my older daughter plays for.  Already has a coach lined up that has been an eighteen u coach for a different organization the last 4 years.  He wants to put together a team to take up to 18s from 14s.  He has seen her pitch and at least acts like he really wants her.  I hate jumping teams again, but her current team just is a dead end.  bottom third of roster is all c level players and they are the ones that have been on the team the longest. We've got one good coach the rest are ok.  And half the team has to move to 16s, which could be fine but just not a great dynamic on the team.  Like last night they did a scrimmage, daughter was pitching calls a timeout herself asks the team to start talking behind her to get their energy up and focus on the play.  one girl says "Id rather be a whisperer that a yeller." Daughter says "No one can hear you if you don't yell!" Girl walks away from huddle. Got home and daughter was telling us this and she ends by saying "If you are going to have that attitude get off my field!"  I'm like "your field?"  She says "I'm pitching that is my field! Get off if you don't care!" 

Yeah we may need to find and or build a more serious team for her. 

Good couple weeks, off the field anyway.  Both daughters will get to play in the all star games at the Sparkler.  Older daughters team had the players vote on their nominees, so cool to be nominated by your teammates.   That should be a lot of fun and a good chance for my older daughter to be seen by some college coaches.  

Also our pitching coach for the younger daughter is trying to put together a team around my younger daughter.  The coach also runs the organization my older daughter plays for.  Already has a coach lined up that has been an eighteen u coach for a different organization the last 4 years.  He wants to put together a team to take up to 18s from 14s.  He has seen her pitch and at least acts like he really wants her.  I hate jumping teams again, but her current team just is a dead end.  bottom third of roster is all c level players and they are the ones that have been on the team the longest. We've got one good coach the rest are ok.  And half the team has to move to 16s, which could be fine but just not a great dynamic on the team.  Like last night they did a scrimmage, daughter was pitching calls a timeout herself asks the team to start talking behind her to get their energy up and focus on the play.  one girl says "Id rather be a whisperer that a yeller." Daughter says "No one can hear you if you don't yell!" Girl walks away from huddle. Got home and daughter was telling us this and she ends by saying "If you are going to have that attitude get off my field!"  I'm like "your field?"  She says "I'm pitching that is my field! Get off if you don't care!" 

Yeah we may need to find and or build a more serious team for her. 

LOL.... WOW...... 

So has anyone else seen or heard about the bat called the Ghost.  For the life of me cannot remember the maker at the moment, but our coach bought one and my daughter used it last night.  Holy cow there might be something to it.  it is legal for asa tournaments but not usssa tournaments.   I guess the Usssa legal bat comes out June 11th.  $350, maybe an early Christmas gift??

looked it up Easton makes it.

I'm a Demarini guy for now
I have a hand me down DeMarini Cat Osterman that my daughter is allowed to start using once she fixes her swing.  It is jacked up (back elbow too high, bat cocked forward) and she does not want to work on it because she is comfortable... and because she was batting 1.000 through 6 games, but she struck out twice last night against good pitchers because there was just no way she could get the bat around fast enough. 

Anyway, it is borderline too big for her, but she is anxious to use the bat so maybe that will motivate her... plus I let Eva use it the last two games, and Eva hit well with it. I think my daughter is now jealous of Eva :lol:  

My daughter is angling for a new glove. We just bought a new catchers mit and bat now she's saying her glove is to small. It's always something  :rolleyes:

Kraft... said:
My daughter is angling for a new glove. We just bought a new catchers mit and bat now she's saying her glove is to small. It's always something  :rolleyes:
Link to catchers mitt you got her? We're kinda shipping for one now...

Users who are viewing this thread