What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Marion Barber Owners Considering Selling? (1 Viewer)

tombonneau

Footballguy
I'm giving pretty serious consideration to trying to shop Barber this week before his bye. His schedule is brutal, esp. the playoffs. While he has managed to put up decent stats the last few weeks, I think we've already benefited from his best games of the year. He might have 1 or 2 more 25+ games in him, but other than that, I think he is destined ford 7-15 point games, which is great but hardly studly.

Has anyone already sold him? What did you get? If you're shopping him, what are you asking for? Just trying to gauge his value.

Also, non-Barber owners, would you consider buying? What would you give up?

I was actually looking to trade him for LenDale & Roddy, thinking I was selling myself a little short, until I saw that Roddy was WR1 in our league! :yes:

I'm a non-Barber owner and from what I've seen, he bends matchups - not the other way around. It's easy to forget how insane good he was when Romo was the QB. Trust me as a non-owner, it sucks being on this side of the fence.

Already did it.

I was looking to move him because of his playoff schedule and was stacked at RB anyway

Traded him and Slaton for ADP And Boldin two weeks ago.

I'm a non-Barber owner and from what I've seen, he bends matchups - not the other way around. It's easy to forget how insane good he was when Romo was the QB. Trust me as a non-owner, it sucks being on this side of the fence.
Yep, Barber is going to be fine. Do not worry about match ups with him, he has done well in big games against 'tough' match ups. He's done just fine with D's showing 0 respect for Brad Johnson and very little daylight.

Yep, Barber is going to be fine. Do not worry about match ups with him, he has done well in big games against 'tough' match ups. He's done just fine with D's showing 0 respect for Brad Johnson and very little daylight.
Barber leads my ppr league in points, 1 over Frank Gore. He's a guy you start everyweek and don't worry about match ups. Especially in PPR leagues. He's on pace for 50+ receptions. I can see Dallas playing the giants tough this week and Barber always plays good against the Gmen. When Romo is back at the helm and the offense is high octane, he'll have some more monster games, but even without Romo he's a top ten back.

After the bye week... when the Cowboys have a healthy Romo.... TO, Roy Williams firmly implanted, Witten, Crayton at #3, Austin in 4 receiver sets as well... it isn't going to matter how good the defense is on the other side. There is no way in hell that they will be able to leave enough men in the box to completely contain Marion Barber.

After the bye week... when the Cowboys have a healthy Romo.... TO, Roy Williams firmly implanted, Witten, Crayton at #3, Austin in 4 receiver sets as well... there's just going to be too much sharing for Barber to remain a top-tier RB.

I dont own nor am considering buying but he was recently traded in my league.

Marion Barber & Michael Pittman 4 Thomas Jones & Matt Forte.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the bye week... when the Cowboys have a healthy Romo.... TO, Roy Williams firmly implanted, Witten, Crayton at #3, Austin in 4 receiver sets as well... there's just going to be too much sharing for Barber to remain a top-tier RB.
If Dallas wants to win games, they will run the ball at least 25 times a game with Barber.

I'm pretty much a lock for the playoffs so I'm trying to trade Barber to a homer straight up for AP because I love those playoff matchups of his.

So... since they will have a better wide receiver set... it will hurt their running game? That is a pretty odd theory. I always thought that it was rather common knowledge that if you have an effective passing attack, it really opens up the running game.

I feel the sharing is going to be going on amongst those WRs/TEs. Marion is still the sole RB. To win football games you have to run the football.

As an mb3 owner, I'm staying put. Once all are healthy, everything will be opened up for him. He's done pretty decent with BJ in, and look what he WAS doing with Romo in. Week 10 bye helps all!

Where is Switz on this one? :shrug:

I feel the sharing is going to be going on amongst those WRs/TEs. Marion is still the sole RB. To win football games you have to run the football.
Seems pretty obvious to me. I think that possibly he was talking about Marion Barber the WR from the practice squad? I didn't even know that they had one.

Really? He's had ONE 100 yard rushing game with Romo this season. He had a fluke 100 yard receiving game with Romo. He had 6 TDs with Romo. He had 2 games with > 3.7YPC (and averaged merely 4.0YPC) :shrug:

Barber's first game with Johnson at QB was actually one of his best this season.

Johnny Ice said:
I believe Felix Jones is expected back after the BYE. Expect him to see a much larger share than he was getting before the injury.

I do not own Barber... but I know that he is second in scoring for RB's in my league.

Johnny Ice said:
I believe Felix Jones is expected back after the BYE. Expect him to see a much larger share than he was getting before the injury.
Barbers games have been solid all along, more so the weeks when Felix was there. Felix getting more carries won't be a bad thing, IMO.

Johnny Ice said:
Other than your Man Love for Felix, what is this expectation based on? You just said yourself Barber had his best game without Romo (and Felix)? I expect they would return to the mix they had early season with the two when the offense was clicking.

Really? He's had ONE 100 yard rushing game with Romo this season. He had a fluke 100 yard receiving game with Romo. He had 6 TDs with Romo. He had 2 games with > 3.7YPC (and averaged merely 4.0YPC) :confused:

Barber's first game with Johnson at QB was actually one of his best this season.
Yes really.I can only go by what the leaderboard tells me. In my league Barber is the 2nd best RB. I'm not inclined to debate you as to why this is.

FWIW I traded Braylon Edwards and Willie Parker for DeAngelo Williams, Donnie Avery, Brandon Lloyd, and a 2009 first round pick in my dynasty, PPR league.
After the bye week... when the Cowboys have a healthy Romo.... TO, Roy Williams firmly implanted, Witten, Crayton at #3, Austin in 4 receiver sets as well... it isn't going to matter how good the defense is on the other side. There is no way in hell that they will be able to leave enough men in the box to completely contain Marion Barber.
And a healthy Felix Jones.. There is also no way he only get 5-7 carries when he's back.I would easily rather have, Westbrook, AD, Gore, Jackson and maybe Lynch.

Johnny Ice said:
Well, if you mean he won't go games without a carry I would agree. However, "larger" is a weird choice of words. How many carries are you expecting Switz? I'll go on record as him getting 3-7carries/game

Really? He's had ONE 100 yard rushing game with Romo this season. He had a fluke 100 yard receiving game with Romo. He had 6 TDs with Romo. He had 2 games with > 3.7YPC (and averaged merely 4.0YPC) :mellow:

I don't get points for YPC. How many games did he have with 100 total yards?But yes his playoff schedule is UGLY I will agree with that.

Offered the LT owner Barber and Avery and he turned it down.

He said I had to add one of my stud WR's (Marshall, AJ, or CJ) + Barber for LT and one of his #2 WR's (Bruce, Moose, etc...)

I said no thanks.

LT owners saw a glimpse of hope last week and LT's price is now sky-high. Last week was the week to acquire LT I'm afraid...

Barber's playoff schedule does look bad, but when Romo comes back, I have confidence the DAL offense will be solid and opposing teams won't be able to load up to stop the run. Barber will be fine.

Really? He's had ONE 100 yard rushing game with Romo this season. He had a fluke 100 yard receiving game with Romo. He had 6 TDs with Romo. He had 2 games with > 3.7YPC (and averaged merely 4.0YPC) :thumbup:

I don't get points for YPC. How many games did he have with 100 total yards?But yes his playoff schedule is UGLY I will agree with that.
:lmao: He's #2 rb in my league too.... How he got there isn't a factor to me.

So as an owner, even with his tough schedule, I think I'm gonna stand pat.

Johnny Ice said:
Well, if you mean he won't go games without a carry I would agree. However, "larger" is a weird choice of words. How many carries are you expecting Switz? I'll go on record as him getting 3-7carries/game
It's really hard to predict how things go when Romo, Witten, and Jones return, with the addition of Roy Williams to the lineup. However, Jones got 10 touches the game before he was injured, he had three in the next game before leaving with an injury, then came back and got another carry before leaving for good. Had he not gotten injured, it's likely he would have had 10 touches again. Interestingly in that game, Jones was - for the first time I noticed - given an entire series as the RB.They may work him in slowly, they may not... but I expect him at some point to be getting 10+ touches per game this season. He's far too explosive to leave off the field, and the coaches have commented on how they want Felix on the field, it's hard to see him return and only see 3-5 or 3-7 touches.

And honestly, when you have a guy averaging 8.9 YPC versus one at 4.0 YPC, you don't think they're going to get him as many touches as they can?

I don't get points for YPC. How many games did he have with 100 total yards?
5 of 8 games with 100 total yards or more.But with 5 of 8 games being below 4.0 YPC, it's easy to see them splitting the load more with Jones when he returns, and when you have a low YPC, you need the attempts to put up the points. I'm not sure how anyone can argue that Barber should get 18-20 touches per game when Jones returns. Now, I was wrong about how quickly they'd work Jones into the system, and I'll probably be wrong about how quickly they'll work him back into the games. But at some point, it's inevitable that Jones takes away enough touches to seriously impact Barber's FF numbers.

5 of 8 games with 100 total yards or more.But with 5 of 8 games being below 4.0 YPC, it's easy to see them splitting the load more with Jones when he returns, and when you have a low YPC, you need the attempts to put up the points. I'm not sure how anyone can argue that Barber should get 18-20 touches per game when Jones returns. Now, I was wrong about how quickly they'd work Jones into the system, and I'll probably be wrong about how quickly they'll work him back into the games. But at some point, it's inevitable that Jones takes away enough touches to seriously impact Barber's FF numbers.
I'd be surprised if Barber didn't get in that range and Felix didn't get 8-10. Just makes the most sense this season.

Owner in one league and not looking to sell.

Looking to buy in a keeper where he is not eligible to be kept next year (I want to win now and wouldn't be giving up too much future). The entire deal is Barber, Witten, and either Coles or Chambers for Johnson, draft pick, and a few not so good WRs. It is being highly considered by the Barber owner as I type.

Splitting the load? No chance. Barber will continue to get about 70-80% of the touches with Jones getting around 8-12 touches per game. Didnt' some around here say that Felix would cut int Barbers #'s at the begining of the year? How's that worked out so far?Games 1-6:Barber: 135 touches (110 rushes/25 receptions) 80.8%Jones: 32 touches (30 rushes/2 receptons) 19.2%

Johnny Ice said:
It's really hard to predict how things go when Romo, Witten, and Jones return, with the addition of Roy Williams to the lineup. However, Jones got 10 touches the game before he was injured, he had three in the next game before leaving with an injury, then came back and got another carry before leaving for good. Had he not gotten injured, it's likely he would have had 10 touches again. Interestingly in that game, Jones was - for the first time I noticed - given an entire series as the RB.They may work him in slowly, they may not... but I expect him at some point to be getting 10+ touches per game this season. He's far too explosive to leave off the field, and the coaches have commented on how they want Felix on the field, it's hard to see him return and only see 3-5 or 3-7 touches.

And honestly, when you have a guy averaging 8.9 YPC versus one at 4.0 YPC, you don't think they're going to get him as many touches as they can?
I don't have any problem with your logic about his effectiveness or how he should be used. However, I still am less then certain it will actually play out like that. Just my opinion.

Owner in one league and not looking to sell.Looking to buy in a keeper where he is not eligible to be kept next year (I want to win now and wouldn't be giving up too much future). The entire deal is Barber, Witten, and either Coles or Chambers for Johnson, draft pick, and a few not so good WRs. It is being highly considered by the Barber owner as I type.
Done deal in keep 3 league (Barber not eligible this year).Get Barber, Witten, Coles, 18th, 21stSend Ch Johnson, Sweed, Steve Smith (giants), 3rd, 8th

Bobcat10 said:
Bobcat10 said:
Owner in one league and not looking to sell.Looking to buy in a keeper where he is not eligible to be kept next year (I want to win now and wouldn't be giving up too much future). The entire deal is Barber, Witten, and either Coles or Chambers for Johnson, draft pick, and a few not so good WRs. It is being highly considered by the Barber owner as I type.
Done deal in keep 3 league (Barber not eligible this year).Get Barber, Witten, Coles, 18th, 21stSend Ch Johnson, Sweed, Steve Smith (giants), 3rd, 8th
Ch Johnson = Chris or Chad?I'm thinking either way you overpaid...

Bobcat10 said:
Bobcat10 said:
Chris.If you knew the all details of the league, I think you'd think differently. For example, only 2 of the 4 keepers (I mis-typed 3 keepers this entire time) can be guys drafted prior to round 10 and I already have Peterson, Romo, and Boldin as eligible keepers this offseason. I'd bore you with the rest...but let me know if you REALLY want to know.

Bobcat10 said:
Bobcat10 said:
Chris.If you knew the all details of the league, I think you'd think differently. For example, only 2 of the 4 keepers (I mis-typed 3 keepers this entire time) can be guys drafted prior to round 10 and I already have Peterson, Romo, and Boldin as eligible keepers this offseason. I'd bore you with the rest...but let me know if you REALLY want to know.
Nah... the way league keeper rules are set up does make a huge difference when trading. At face value I would think you are giving away a better RB and two better draftpicks to get a top TE and an average WR. :shrug: What you are allowed to keep out of that bunch may be the difference maker for you.

Bobcat10 said:
Bobcat10 said:
Owner in one league and not looking to sell.

Looking to buy in a keeper where he is not eligible to be kept next year (I want to win now and wouldn't be giving up too much future). The entire deal is Barber, Witten, and either Coles or Chambers for Johnson, draft pick, and a few not so good WRs. It is being highly considered by the Barber owner as I type.
Done deal in keep 3 league (Barber not eligible this year).Get Barber, Witten, Coles, 18th, 21st

Send Ch Johnson, Sweed, Steve Smith (giants), 3rd, 8th
Chris.If you knew the all details of the league, I think you'd think differently. For example, only 2 of the 4 keepers (I mis-typed 3 keepers this entire time) can be guys drafted prior to round 10 and I already have Peterson, Romo, and Boldin as eligible keepers this offseason.

I'd bore you with the rest...but let me know if you REALLY want to know.
Nah... the way league keeper rules are set up does make a huge difference when trading. At face value I would think you are giving away a better RB and two better draftpicks to get a top TE and an average WR. :D What you are allowed to keep out of that bunch may be the difference maker for you.
You aren't seriously saying that Chris Johnson is the better RB over Barber?

Barber leads my ppr league in points, 1 over Frank Gore. He's a guy you start everyweek and don't worry about match ups. Especially in PPR leagues. He's on pace for 50+ receptions. I can see Dallas playing the giants tough this week and Barber always plays good against the Gmen. When Romo is back at the helm and the offense is high octane, he'll have some more monster games, but even without Romo he's a top ten back.
Not that good.Combined 2 games vs. Giants in 2007:

23 carries

99 yards

1 TD

3 receptions

28 yards

0 TD

Average output per game vs. Giants in 2007:

11.5 carries

49.5 yards

0.5 TD

1.5 catches

14 yards

0 TD

If Barber plays to his 2007 average against the Giants this year, a lot of fantasy owners will be unhappy IMO.

23 carries

99 yards

1 TD

3 receptions

28 yards

0 TD

11.5 carries

49.5 yards

0.5 TD

1.5 catches

14 yards

0 TD

If Barber plays to his 2007 average against the Giants this year, a lot of fantasy owners will be unhappy IMO.
I will be real disappointed if he plays like he did in the playoff game.

Hmmm....more rushing yards, higher YPC, only 1 less TD rushing...Barber is more used in the passing game... but as runningbacks, Johnson looks betterOh.. and Johnson has played 1 fewer game....

Hmmm....more rushing yards, higher YPC, only 1 less TD rushing...Barber is more used in the passing game... but as runningbacks, Johnson looks betterOh.. and Johnson has played 1 fewer game....
The league is PPR and has bonuses for 100/150/200 yds.Barber = 183ptsJohnson = 132pts, minus one gamePPR also makes getting Witten and Coles that much better...and it is a start 4 WR and 1 TE league. :goodposting:

So you think that anyone will trade Barber straight up for Johnson? Somehow I don't see it.

23 carries

99 yards

1 TD

3 receptions

28 yards

0 TD

11.5 carries

49.5 yards

0.5 TD

1.5 catches

14 yards

0 TD

Downontheupside said:

23 carries

99 yards

1 TD

3 receptions

28 yards

0 TD

11.5 carries

49.5 yards

0.5 TD

1.5 catches

14 yards

0 TD

In three games last year Barber had 265 total yards and 2 TDS. I'd say that's pretty solid against one of the best defensive units. Lets not forget Barber was still splitting carries in two of those games. He ran all over the Gmen when the giants D was at its best in the playoffs and when Barber got 20+ carries and the carrying the load like he is now. 23 carries for 99 yards 1 td

3 catches for 28

Forget about combined, that sounds just about right for sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread