What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody live in Downtown Austin, TX ? (1 Viewer)

offdee

Footballguy
I have another thread about moving soon. Anybody here presently live (or very recently live) in Austin?

Below are my present notes. Any additional pros and cons?

Would a single guy that makes $120K per yr, no kids, no debt be able to comfortably live in the heart of downtown Austin in a nice/luxury type apartment building? Would want to rent a large 1BR with a den type space for computer desk (work from home). Low $2K per month rent knowing all the extras will bring it around $2,500. Realistic or pipe dream?

- Austin, TX: livable and walkable downtown, great weather, much more than just a college town. Not cowboy Texas, more metropolitan Texas. Beautiful women. Festivals, electronic music and contemporary art. A blend of modern skyscrapers and green outdoors. Likely pretty expensive these days with the influx of California residents. Best spots are West 6th St (more upscale, clubby spots) or East 6th St (the other side of I35, more hip and laid back, kinda Brooklynish. Avoid mid-6th St...too young/Bourbon St party)

Last edited:
I have another thread about moving soon. Anybody here presently live (or very recently live) in Austin?

Below are my present notes. Any additional pros and cons?

Would a single guy that makes $120K per yr, no kids, no debt be able to comfortably live in the heart of downtown Austin in a nice/luxury type apartment building? Would want to rent a large 1BR with a den type space for computer desk (work from home). Low $2K per month rent knowing all the extras will bring it around $2,500. Realistic or pipe dream?

- Austin, TX: livable and walkable downtown, great weather, much more than just a college town. Not cowboy Texas, more metropolitan Texas. Beautiful women. Festivals, electronic music and contemporary art. A blend of modern skyscrapers and green outdoors. Likely pretty expensive these days with the influx of California residents.
If you can afford the real estate, then yeah Austin is great, but if you are dipping down this far south, you should give San Antonio and Houston a look too (#### the rockets!). I'm a big honk for SA, even though I have not lived there during the past 20 years, but it's in my blood. You can pretty much carve out any kind of life you want in any of the big 4 metro areas in TX.

Let me know if your interested in Lubbock. If so, I can channel you some good info from my brother.

I live in Austin. Not downtown - on the East Side. But I know the market pretty well.

Can you get a one bedroom high rise in downtown for under $2500 per month? Its dicey. I would guess not - but there may be some available. If you need help looking, let me know. I can set you up with a broker. You don't necessarily need a broker, but it could help you find some places.

Try HAR.Com. In the search box, put in an Austin zip code, select rentals, and go to town.

https://www.har.com/

Last edited:
My flight attendant friend's reply about Austin. Agree / Disagree?

There are parts of Austin I like and parts I don't like. It is very young and fun and I have a few friends that live there now and love it. I'm not a Texas lover in a general sense so I'm prob not a good person to ask on this one. Rainy St. is cool (used to be cooler before they commercialized it). 6th St is nasty and all underage bars now. It's always humid as F.

I live in Austin. Not downtown - on the East Side. But I know the market pretty well.

Can you get a one bedroom high rise in downtown for under $2500 per month? Its dicey. I would guess not - but there may be some available. If you need help looking, let me know. I can set you up with a broker. You don't necessarily need a broker, but it could help you find some places.

Thanks, really appreciate it. Could you DM me the broker's contact info? I'll reach out to him/her and get their thoughts.

There are parts of Austin I like and parts I don't like. It is very young and fun and I have a few friends that live there now and love it. I'm not a Texas lover in a general sense so I'm prob not a good person to ask on this one. Rainy St. is cool (used to be cooler before they commercialized it). 6th St is nasty and all underage bars now. It's always humid as F.
Was with you until the humid part. It isn’t humid at all. Most of what made Austin cool when I was personally growing up here is slowly dwindling (live music venues, eclectic shops, etc.)

That said, we’re still raising a kid here and like it, but it isn’t the Austin you hear about from back in the day.

Was with you until the humid part. It isn’t humid at all. Most of what made Austin cool when I was personally growing up here is slowly dwindling (live music venues, eclectic shops, etc.)

That said, we’re still raising a kid here and like it, but it isn’t the Austin you hear about from back in the day.
Good to know on the non humid. That’s a definite plus. She’s a flight attendant so does the 1-2 day layover stays so must’ve caught some bad days.

Thanks, really appreciate it. Could you DM me the broker's contact info? I'll reach out to him/her and get their thoughts.

Sure. I’ll do it tomorrow morning.

@Major sent me a link to a good location apartment building to look into. 1BR's start out in the low $3K's per month. Doable, but damn.

Good to know on the non humid. That’s a definite plus. She’s a flight attendant so does the 1-2 day layover stays so must’ve caught some bad days.
We're 200 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, but the predominant wind is from that direction. It can be like a wet blanket, but in general it's only unpleasant if you move here from the desert.

We're 200 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, but the predominant wind is from that direction. It can be like a wet blanket, but in general it's only unpleasant if you move here from the desert.
So, that's kind of what I'm wondering....my top 2 choices are Summerlin, NV (the desert) or Austin, TX. Ultimately both are similar temps year round, but Summerlin just isn't humid correct?

You should visit both places, but IMO Austin and Summerlin aren't comparable culturally. One is clean, planned, upscale, new. The other is more real, a little grittier, and has history.
Yep, and that's exactly what I wanted in my final 2 choices. I'm a fan of both, so want to figure out which one I'd rather live amongst. I'm confident I have it down to the best 2 for me personally and my vibe and interests.

- Summerlin, NV: clean, planned, upscale, new, a low key downtown vibe with a more mature/classy dynamic, but very close proximity to a downtown vibe on steroids if/when I want that experience.

- Austin, TX: real, grittier, history, a younger/hipper dynamic, live amongst the real downtown action when I walk out my front door.

Both have comparable warm weather, beautiful women, great nightlife and in vicinities that traveling to other cool places is quick and easy (Mexico, California, etc).

Cost of living will be cheaper in Summerlin (+ no state income tax), but in Austin you're paying for the convenience of the full big-city downtown experience.

Both sound very appealing to me.

@Major sent me a link to a good location apartment building to look into. 1BR's start out in the low $3K's per month. Doable, but damn.

Yeah, I was just sending you that as a basis point and a good area of downtown. I'm sure a good broker can help you navigate and find better value. And remember, you don't necessarily have to be in prime downtown as there are many cool neighborhoods in Austin.

In terms of Austin v. Summerlin for work, I think ATX is a much better choice for you career wise. Better networking and basically Silicon Valley lite (Silicon Hills). I'm not sure Summerlin offers that.

Austin is more of a dry heat IMO. Not nearly as humid as a place like Houston.

Parts of 6th st are basically Bourbon St. on the weekends but you have several sections. West 6th (more upscale, clubby spots), Dirty 6th (the Bourbon St./young spot) and East 6th on the other side of i-35 (more hip and laid back..reminds me of Brooklyn a bit)

I check the heat index in Austin and Vegas every day during the summer, and wonder why I don't retire there. I still might. The 'feels-like' temperature is lower in Vegas most of the time.

Also, Austin doesn't have to make excuses for its entertainment scene, but Lady Gaga doesn't hang out for weeks either.

Don't know if you're into sports, but here we've got MLS and the Longhorns, and there's nothing else on the horizon. Vegas has the Raiders and the Golden Knights, they're thisclose to getting the A's, and Lebron will wind up in charge of an NBA expansion franchise.

I check the heat index in Austin and Vegas every day during the summer, and wonder why I don't retire there. I still might. The 'feels-like' temperature is lower in Vegas most of the time.

Also, Austin doesn't have to make excuses for its entertainment scene, but Lady Gaga doesn't hang out for weeks either.

Don't know if you're into sports, but here we've got MLS and the Longhorns, and there's nothing else on the horizon. Vegas has the Raiders and the Golden Knights, they're thisclose to getting the A's, and Lebron will wind up in charge of an NBA expansion franchise.
Thanks for this.

So, you live in Austin now and are considering retiring in Vegas due to the better weather? Are you uncomfortable in Austin now?

I'm definitely a sports fan, but not a huge "go to games" guy. But having cool franchises in your area is always fun (Bucks, Packers, Brewers all make it fun around here when they are doing well...it's been a solid run lately)

What is the main airport to fly into closest to Austin? Is it Bergstrom or is that a small airport? I'm trying to find flights and it's not registering on Priceline for some reason.

So, you live in Austin now and are considering retiring in Vegas due to the better weather? Are you uncomfortable in Austin now?
Considering retiring in Vegas because the weather isn't really worse. Also, I spend my vacations on Fremont Street now. I wouldn't say I'm uncomfortable in Austin, because I moved here 43 years ago this month to go to college and never left. LOL.

Bergstrom is the airport, and is relatively new and modern. Southwest dominates here and won't show up on Priceline, but you should find others.

Considering retiring in Vegas because the weather isn't really worse. Also, I spend my vacations on Fremont Street now. I wouldn't say I'm uncomfortable in Austin, because I moved here 43 years ago this month to go to college and never left. LOL.

Bergstrom is the airport, and is relatively new and modern. Southwest dominates here and won't show up on Priceline, but you should find others.
OK good to know about Southwest Airlines. thx

I can vouch for this :lol:

@Major or anybody in the know about downtown Austin these days..

read the above bolded from my flight attendant friend. Know Major suggested 6th St at the best place Downtown to live...but more West 6th St. (upscale, classy) or East 6th St (hip, chill Brooklynish). Is she referring to middle of 6th street or is her overriding "stay away from 6th street the reality now?"

Any other areas downtown or specific streets that would be good to look into live? I do want the downtown experience where I can walk out to cool restaurants and stuff, but want it more calm, classy, cool downtown and definitely don't want it to be a Mardi Gras feel of college drunks.

read the above bolded from my flight attendant friend. Know Major suggested 6th St at the best place Downtown to live...but more West 6th St. (upscale, classy) or East 6th St (hip, chill Brooklynish). Is she referring to middle of 6th street or is her overriding "stay away from 6th street the reality now?"

Any other areas downtown or specific streets that would be good to look into live? I do want the downtown experience where I can walk out to cool restaurants and stuff, but want it more calm, classy, cool downtown and definitely don't want it to be a Mardi Gras feel of college drunks.

If you want to live downtown and staying the range you were looking at, I'd look at:

Also, I would not hesitate to look south of the river (78704) nor East of 35 (78702). The east side is booming and has become a really cool, hip place to live.

No state income tax in TX either. Austin is different now than many of us remember it. For your purposes some of the change might be good. Austin used to be the perfect blend of redneck/hippie/student. Tech has now displaced a lot of the former two categories and the effects are significant. Lots more population, lots more money, but also more opportunity and development. The downtown living is probably better now than it was back in the day but I would avoid the suburbs. But less cool counter-culture and divey spots.

No state income tax in TX either. Austin is different now than many of us remember it. For your purposes some of the change might be good. Austin used to be the perfect blend of redneck/hippie/student. Tech has now displaced a lot of the former two categories and the effects are significant. Lots more population, lots more money, but also more opportunity and development. The downtown living is probably better now than it was back in the day but I would avoid the suburbs. But less cool counter-culture and divey spots.

Was just about to post this. That said, if you're ever looking to own property, the property taxes pretty much make up for the lack of state income tax.

Ah nice, didn't realize there was no state income tax there also. thanks for the info.

If you want to live downtown and staying the range you were looking at, I'd look at:

Also, I would not hesitate to look south of the river (78704) nor East of 35 (78702). The east side is booming and has become a really cool, hip place to live.
This is awesome info, thanks so much.

No, 6th st. would probably be the loudest place to live and not ideal. Most of the high rises I'd prefer are a few blocks off of 6th going toward the river so easy to avoid the riff raff that migrates there on a Saturday night. I wouldn't say West 6th is classy just more preppy and cleaner than Dirty 6th. I'm partial to the calmer east side or south Austin but for someone not familiar with Austin and wants a lot of things to walk to, prime downtown is ideal.

Oh and your friend is probably just talking about "Dirty 6th". When people, not locals say 6th st. that's normally the portion they're referring to.

Last edited:
What is the main airport to fly into closest to Austin? Is it Bergstrom or is that a small airport? I'm trying to find flights and it's not registering on Priceline for some reason.
Bergstrom used to be an air force base. Not small. Austin just moved on in when it was closed.

I suspect the food scene in and around Austin is way better. It sure is in Houston.

Users who are viewing this thread