What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone have a good hamburger recipe? (2 Viewers)

Little Worcestershire sauce in the ground beef. Salt, Pepper, Lawry's seasoned salt.
This is correct and what I was coming here to post. I use Tony Chaceri's or however it's spelled instead of Lawry's.

Breadcrumbs are a crime against hamburgers.

I have been using a blend of meat lately. I buy a pound of super lean meat maybe 93/7 and then I buy a pound of 80/20 or less--the more fat the better. Mix them together well. Webber makes a pretty good gourmet hamburger spice if you are in a hurry to add to it. Don't handle them too much or they will fall apart. Make a little indent in the middle to help them cook.

Just be prepared if you are broiling in an oven to have your windows open because there will be smoke from the splattering grease.

I cover my burgers with two fried eggs and some cheese.

Just an aside, my deli sells gourmet patties and I have bought some that had bacon and cheese in them. They always fall apart or burn up. I have never had success with them, but maybe that is just me.
Thoughts on 85/15?

John Bender said:
Lots of good meatloaf recipes in here.
:goodposting:

Mixing onions and seasoning into the ground beef is going to dry out the patty & kill the the natural juiciness of the burger. Pretty much giving you a far less satisfying meatloaf beatloaf sandwich.

I'd recommend treating the meat simply. Form the patties, drizzle some olive oil on and around the patties and add all the seasoning to the outside of the patties. Season with salt, pepper and anything else you like - ancho chili powder is my go-to. Then add all the toppings you want.

Ground sirloin, fatty. Inch thick patties, slightly thinner in the middle. Introduce to some heat above some coals. Flip once. serve. Let folks top them as they wish.

There is nothing you metrosexuals cannot overcomplicate. You are so worried your pleasures are sublime in the eyes of others that you never taste, you never drink deeply, you are not in the moment, you are in the shallow future preparing to blog and to get your pleasure from the responses then. You are reflection, not substance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ground sirloin, fatty. Inch thick patties, slightly thinner in the middle. Introduce to some heat above some coals. Flip once. serve. Let folks top them as they wish.

There is nothing you metrosexuals cannot overcomplicate. You are so worried your pleasures are sublime in the eyes of others that you never taste, you never drink deeply, you are not in the moment, you are in the shallow future preparing to blog and to get your pleasure from the responses then. You are reflection, not substance.
Thank you Ron Swanson

Nice fatty meat dusted in black truffle salt, ground pepper and garlic powder. Cooked over charcoal - high heat. Served on a toasted kaiser roll with stone ground mustard and a slice of red onion.

Update: I ended up overcooking it. :wall: i should have cooked the bacon first. Or maybe i should have kept it simple. :shrug:

next time it will be epic though!

:moneybag:

:lmao:

Can I subscribe to your newsletter?

Should be illegal to serve ground meat or fish (inc canned tuna) without finely-minced shallots in them. My special thing is i make a paste out of anchos, sun-dried tomatoes and garlic to put on almost everything. On burgers, i whip some into good ol Vermont butter, freeze it and put a small patty of frozen chile butter on a burger after i flip it, then cheese once that melts. mmgood

I'm too lazy to use a grill and its usually just for myself so I cook a burger in the pan.   Just salt and pepper on the bugger but what I like to do differently is slice some onions and put them underneath the burger so they're getting steaming underneath the burger while its cooking.  Then when I flip the burger, the onions come along for the ride.   Throw a slice of cheddar on top.  Always come out delicious to me.

On 9/3/2013 at 0:18 AM, Ditkaless Wonders said:

:moneybag:

Can I subscribe to your newsletter?

My sister in law lost her #### a couple weekends ago when I suggested frying our burgers after finding the BBQ out of propane. Driving 20 minutes and back to get a new tank was much more practical :rolleyes:  

:goodposting:

Mixing onions and seasoning into the ground beef is going to dry out the patty & kill the the natural juiciness of the burger. Pretty much giving you a far less satisfying meatloaf beatloaf sandwich.

I'd recommend treating the meat simply. Form the patties, drizzle some olive oil on and around the patties and add all the seasoning to the outside of the patties. Season with salt, pepper and anything else you like - ancho chili powder is my go-to. Then add all the toppings you want.
I got mocked relentlessly for making 'loafburgers' one time.  Lesson learned.

I keep it simple - mix up Worc sauce, garlic (Dorot frozen crushed garlic), and pepper.  Not a fan of added salt since the Worc sauce already has it.

Keep it simple. 80/20 ground chuck, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder -- 6 oz patties with a slight "dimple" or depression in the middle, grill over hot charcoal add cheese of choice. If you want to get fancy, do it with the fixings IMO. Most places, even chain supermarkets, will grind a fresh chuck roast for you if you ask.

My sister in law lost her #### a couple weekends ago when I suggested frying our burgers after finding the BBQ out of propane. Driving 20 minutes and back to get a new tank was much more practical :rolleyes:  
Broiler with foil covered broiler pan on 2nd shelf from the top of the oven is a great emergency backup plan if the Grill isn't an option. If using fatty beef you'll likely want to poke holes in the foil and let some of the grease drain through (will require more cleaning, though). 

Keep it simple. 80/20 ground chuck, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder -- 6 oz patties with a slight "dimple" or depression in the middle, grill over hot charcoal add cheese of choice. If you want to get fancy, do it with the fixings IMO. Most places, even chain supermarkets, will grind a fresh chuck roast for you if you ask.
KISS

80/20 1lb., worchestershire, dijon, Italian bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, diced jalapeños.

i grill the burger and sometimes stuff the center with cheese, rather than top.

i then finely dice some white onions, heat a pat of butter and low temp the onions in the butter for a White Castle taste,

80/20 1lb., worchestershire, dijon, Italian bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, diced jalapeños.

i grill the burger and sometimes stuff the center with cheese, rather than top.

i then finely dice some white onions, heat a pat of butter and low temp the onions in the butter for a White Castle taste,
Couple questions

do you use a standard 9x5 pan, and do you add the ketchup over the meat after it is cooked or 5 mins before pulling from the oven? 

Should be illegal to serve ground meat or fish (inc canned tuna) without finely-minced shallots in them. My special thing is i make a paste out of anchos, sun-dried tomatoes and garlic to put on almost everything. On burgers, i whip some into good ol Vermont butter, freeze it and put a small patty of frozen chile butter on a burger after i flip it, then cheese once that melts. mmgood
Define these, please! Are they two separate things? They sound delicious!!

& Worcester
Woostah? Why would you add a city in Western MA into burgers? ;)

VA703, if I need an easy good burger, I just go to MELT. Done.

Woostah? Why would you add a city in Western MA into burgers? ;)

VA703, if I need an easy good burger, I just go to MELT. Done.
been there when it opened.. was pretty good I need to go back

have you been to that brewery next to wolf furniture.

I love all these, "Keep it simple...add these 465 ingredients" responses.
IMO the basic adds (some combination of Worcestershire, salt, pepper, onion, garlic) give the burger a better flavour than just plain meat in a patty. I get some people think just good ol meat is all you need.

Maybe to take this in a more interesting direction and so it doesn't get bogged down in what should/shouldn't go in a regular burger, we concede that a "standard" burger has some combination of those items. Then a "basic" burger is just meat (maybe salt and pepper). So, that in mind, who's got the "deluxe" outside the basic/standard burger?

IMO the basic adds (some combination of Worcestershire, salt, pepper, onion, garlic) give the burger a better flavour than just plain meat in a patty. I get some people think just good ol meat is all you need.

Maybe to take this in a more interesting direction and so it doesn't get bogged down in what should/shouldn't go in a regular burger, we concede that a "standard" burger has some combination of those items. Then a "basic" burger is just meat (maybe salt and pepper). So, that in mind, who's got the "deluxe" outside the basic/standard burger?
two "standard" burgers with a center pocket stuffed with grilled onions/jalapenos & pepper jack cheese.  topped with spicy ketchup & more jalapenos and onions w/ bacon

My culinary orientation has been mexican since i moved to the desert in the 70s. Now that i'm east w my ol peeps and can't afford to send for the NM green chiles i used to live on (roasting Hatch or Belen peppers on the grill before the burgers go on will give you a great burger topper and make the BEST chile cheese fries in the world, btw), i get my heat by making a paste i put on everything (i'd guess even my wheaties will get the treatment one day). Soak ancho chilies in water, sundried tomatoes in olive oil, peel a buncha garlic and (optional) chop a red serrano or habanero for heat. Throw em in the food processor (save the ancho water and use to thin the mix if necessary) and let it roll. My secret ingredient is to pour in a touch of maple syrup as an evener.

In addition, i let a stick or two of good unsalted butter soften and stir in a bunch of my finished product, roll into a sausage shape and wrap and pop it in the freezer. Then when i dress a pasta or cook a burger or whatever i can slice a round or two off for to do the trick. The fat, garlic, heat, and sun-dried/syrup finish will umami up yo day.

My culinary orientation has been mexican since i moved to the desert in the 70s. Now that i'm east w my ol peeps and can't afford to send for the NM green chiles i used to live on (roasting Hatch or Belen peppers on the grill before the burgers go on will give you a great burger topper and make the BEST chile cheese fries in the world, btw), i get my heat by making a paste i put on everything (i'd guess even my wheaties will get the treatment one day). Soak ancho chilies in water, sundried tomatoes in olive oil, peel a buncha garlic and (optional) chop a red serrano or habanero for heat. Throw em in the food processor (save the ancho water and use to thin the mix if necessary) and let it roll. My secret ingredient is to pour in a touch of maple syrup as an evener.

In addition, i let a stick or two of good unsalted butter soften and stir in a bunch of my finished product, roll into a sausage shape and wrap and pop it in the freezer. Then when i dress a pasta or cook a burger or whatever i can slice a round or two off for to do the trick. The fat, garlic, heat, and sun-dried/syrup finish will umami up yo day.
Just finished selling Hatch Peppers for the season at Wegmans here last week. Should have bought some.

Cast iron skillet.  Buy really good ground beef,  at least 80/20.

Season patties with generous dose of salt & pepper.  Get the skillet really hot,  put a chunk of butter into skillet.  Place burger onto sizzling butter.  Fry the heck out of it, turn, fry the heck out of it, add cheese (I use sharp cheddar, but american comes out pretty damn good.)  Pre-heat the bread.  Place the lid on for a minute or two to let cheese melt, then place the top bun directly onto the cheesy pattie so the cheese fuses with the bread.  Toppings and sauces go on the bottom.  Enjoy.

We have Anaheim peppers here, which are a milder version of the Hatch.  Fantastic flavor so they are great to cook with.  If you want your food hotter you can add other chilis to what you're cooking but the flavor can't be beat.

We have Anaheim peppers here, which are a milder version of the Hatch.  Fantastic flavor so they are great to cook with.  If you want your food hotter you can add other chilis to what you're cooking but the flavor can't be beat.
Better'n what we got here, i'm sure - sun's so poor, even the Anaheims are as much skin as meat - but a New Mexican shudders at the notion of eating Anaheims, even though most NM chiles are closely related. It's the ground - most of the state's peppers have been growing in the same ground for a century or more. It's not unlike grapes. Hatches bake in bad ground and hot sun, Belens have a bit of river mud and are fat and sweet. And then there are the one in the Sangres. Oh, to eat a chile from one of the mountain villages that were still speaking Cervantan Spanish when American society re-discovered them in the 1920s. Quirky - everything from lime to smoke to lychee flavors. Knock you out. When i really cared, i used to make my own varietal ranchero sauces.

Users who are viewing this thread