What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

anyone here into fishing? (1 Viewer)

Up and at 'em for the annual trip to Wisconsin. Taking my 12 year old son as a birthday present - he turns 13 in November.

Goal #1 is to get him a muskie. River is dropping and conditions look pretty good.
Mission Accomplished! 

Just got back yesterday. Got there Thursday afternoon about 12:30, and we were on the river by 1:30 that day.  Fished a few deep pools with nightcrawlers to try and catch some nice smallies. We were also looking for suckers we could throw on a muskie rig.

Caught a few nice smallies and some larger suckers, but nothing small enough to put out as bait. We were also casting out muskie lures to see what we could find. I found this beauty - 46.5" on an orange bucktail. We wrapped it up about 6:00 because my brother and nephew were coming in town for the rest of the weekend.

So, as I mentioned before, my 12 year old son was coming up with me for the first time. He really wanted to catch a muskie. My 17 year old nephew was also coming, and he had never caught a muskie. He has actively fished for muskie for 4 years with his buddies at home in north Chicago and also at this same river in Wisconsin. So our goal was to get these two boys a muskie.

We floated the river for 12 hours on Friday. We caught some 10" suckers early and floated with them all day:

Bite 1: nephew had the sucker go down and a muskie on good. Got it to the boat, and all of a sudden it took a turn and headed around the back of the boat. The 80# braid caught a rivet and snapped off the fish.  :censored:    :hot:

Bite 2: son has a sucker out, and all of a sudden it takes a little bump. I stand up and see a 40 incher swimming around this sucker. For 5 freaking minutes it swims around this thing as we get prepared in the boat. Muskie finally just swims off.  :censored:

Bite 3: son is throwing the orange bucktail and hooks up! It's a small one - about 28". Gets it to the boat quickly, but ends up shaking off the lure before we could get the net down. 

Bite 4: same sucker that was on it Bite 2 gets bit - hard this time. Line is running out - son tries to set hook - no hook up.  :censored:

We get done on Friday with no other bites, so neither boy gets their muskie. My uncle, on the other hand, caught a 37" muskie on a 6" perch rapala in the first 5 minutes of the float.

We head out Saturday morning, and we catch two small suckers right off the bat. Nephew has one out and so do we (we are in two boats). About 11:30 my nephew hooks into one while casting an orange bucktail. A few minutes later, it's in the net, and he literally screams with joy - "FINALLY". Ended up being a 43". Nice fish. 

So now we have one more muskie to get - my son. We are talking - I'm in the boat with him and my uncle. So we decide if his sucker goes down we are just going to let him swallow the damn thing. About 45 minutes after my nephew gets his, the sucker gets it. You can always tell - on this one it was more like a slow burn. The sucker starts heading upstream at an even pace. So we know one is there.

The bobber then goes down and stays down. We start the motor and go upstream as my son reels in the slack. We are basically on top of this fish and we tell my son - "Go Time".

He sets the hook with a fury, and this thing is HOOKED. He is hanging on with all his might, but playing this fish perfectly. This kid is a fishing savant, so watching him fight this fish was no surprise to me - I've seen this before with other fish. The fish takes a leap and crashes into the side of the boat - thank god it didn't hit a rivet.

A couple of minutes later, he pulls it around and guides it's head beautifully into the net. I scoop in up and in the boat it goes.

A really healthy 40 incher! (uncle in the background). So in the span of 45 minutes on Saturday, both boys had their first ski's. So awesome.

We spent the next two hours, both boats tied together and floating down the river - the men drinking beer and the boys casting for their second muskies.  :lol:

A great weekend - one of the best I've ever had.  4 landed muskies between the two boats in 2.5 days. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the kids to the beach yesterday, and this means about 1/3 of the time that we are at the beach I am able to surf fish. When I go with the kids I just use whatever bait i catch in my cast net, which is usually 3-5" mullet. This is not the best bait for specs, pompano, redfish, or the other fish I am after and I only managed to land a few sharks yesterday.

I am going to leave the kids at home and go tomorrow after work. I will be using artificials and live shrimp. Hopefully, this helps me land some better fish.

Finally got on the water over the weekend. We worked Tampa Bay between the Gandy and Howard Franklin.

Got some short trout and mangrove snapper. A couple nice macks, a huge lady fish. And ended the day with a 20 inch snook.

Finally got on the water over the weekend. We worked Tampa Bay between the Gandy and Howard Franklin.

Got some short trout and mangrove snapper. A couple nice macks, a huge lady fish. And ended the day with a 20 inch snook.
Did the Lady tailwalk for you?  Fun fish to catch.

In Cabo right now.  Fishing tomorrow.  Dorado are fairly thick and wahoo and yellowtail spotty. I don’t like billfish,  so hoping for a day of dorado jumping out of the water.
Nice! Are you only boat fishing? Supposed to be some great surf fishing in that area. Even roosters from the beach at the right time of year. Tight lines!

Scratchy fishing today.  Couple of smaller dorado.  I go to Loreto a lot and shore fish or fish from a kayak there.  Roosterfish chase my lures a lot but catching them is a different story.  

Excited to do my first Alaska Salmon Trip next summer with three others. Ketchikan. Hoping to bring home two airline boxes. Peak season.

As an aside—Been waiting for months for the freezer I want to come in. We have two but a third is needed, especially if our older one conks out. Freakin’ supply chain.

I’d love to hear experiences and tips on Alaska Salmon fishing. I know @kutta goes annually. 

Excited to do my first Alaska Salmon Trip next summer with three others. Ketchikan. Hoping to bring home two airline boxes. Peak season.

As an aside—Been waiting for months for the freezer I want to come in. We have two but a third is needed, especially if our older one conks out. Freakin’ supply chain.

I’d love to hear experiences and tips on Alaska Salmon fishing. I know @kutta goes annually. 
Awesome! I hope you have a great time!

We fish in Soldotna every year so that’s all I know. I assume you’ll be fishing Kings and Sockeye? The only advice I can give for Kings is make sure to have a good guide, it makes all the difference. There’s not much skill in catching kings, but when you hook one, it’s a huge rush.

Sockeye fishing is all skill and technique. So it’s really important to have a good guide so you can learn correct techniques out of the gate. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and really pay attention. Once you get it - it’s a blast.

There are strict limits when you’re with a guide, but they aren’t really enforced on private property, at least in Soldotna. If possible, try to get a cabin or a place on a river with sockeye: you want a chance to fish on your own at your own pace without a guide if possible. Especially once you get the hang of it. We don’t even use sockeye guides any more, and last year we caught 100 sockeye between the 8 of us.

If you get the chance, make sure to take a day to do a white fishing trip on the ocean. It’s great to come back with lots of different kinds of fish, and not just salmon. We go out of Homer, but that’s probably too far for you guys. 

Plan to be up EARLY (3-4 AM). Plan for lots of different weather (cold, warm, wet), so bring rain gear. Plan for mosquitoes (bring Off). Plan for seasickness even if you never have it (Dramamine). Get a vehicle big enough to carry your group, your luggage, and your fish - we get two large SUVs, but a van is great too.

They will probably have fish processing and packaging there for you. They package it in boxes so you can check it as luggage coming home. Just remember that you will have to get it home somehow,  so have your freezer ready and no small cars to drive you home.

Let me know if you have any questions - it’s the time of a lifetime - you’re going to love it!

Awesome! I hope you have a great time!

We fish in Soldotna every year so that’s all I know. I assume you’ll be fishing Kings and Sockeye? The only advice I can give for Kings is make sure to have a good guide, it makes all the difference. There’s not much skill in catching kings, but when you hook one, it’s a huge rush.

Sockeye fishing is all skill and technique. So it’s really important to have a good guide so you can learn correct techniques out of the gate. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and really pay attention. Once you get it - it’s a blast.

There are strict limits when you’re with a guide, but they aren’t really enforced on private property, at least in Soldotna. If possible, try to get a cabin or a place on a river with sockeye: you want a chance to fish on your own at your own pace without a guide if possible. Especially once you get the hang of it. We don’t even use sockeye guides any more, and last year we caught 100 sockeye between the 8 of us.

If you get the chance, make sure to take a day to do a white fishing trip on the ocean. It’s great to come back with lots of different kinds of fish, and not just salmon. We go out of Homer, but that’s probably too far for you guys. 

Plan to be up EARLY (3-4 AM). Plan for lots of different weather (cold, warm, wet), so bring rain gear. Plan for mosquitoes (bring Off). Plan for seasickness even if you never have it (Dramamine). Get a vehicle big enough to carry your group, your luggage, and your fish - we get two large SUVs, but a van is great too.

They will probably have fish processing and packaging there for you. They package it in boxes so you can check it as luggage coming home. Just remember that you will have to get it home somehow,  so have your freezer ready and no small cars to drive you home.

Let me know if you have any questions - it’s the time of a lifetime - you’re going to love it!
I have done Soldotna. A great time. My advice is to fish for sockeye at night. Start around 10, limit out and then limit out again after midnight. Watch out for grizzlies. We have had a few close encounters. I think it is worth a day to fish offshore.

Got my first snook ever hard to believe I have never caught one. Only have two more on my must catch list Tarpon and Bonefish hopefully I will get those one day,

We went down to Cabbage Key got quite a few reds, snook and Seatrout. Most were slot size but they didn't weight much. I think it was because of the red tide they had a few years back. Guide was really good young guy but he knew what he was doing put us right on the fish. Really knew the water and the history of the area. If your ever down Pine Island way his is Floridaze charters he will put you on the fish.

Cabbage Key was great we stayed for 3 days. If you are ever looking for a unique getaway this fits the bill. No TV or radios in the rooms. Really all there is to do is enjoy nature, fish and drink rum runners or what ever you prefer. I kept a buzz when I wasn't fishing. Restaurant is really good little pricey but excellent. I had Triple Tail in orange sauce was awesome and the Black beans and rice are to die for. Really excellent time I loved it. Also if you like Cheese burgers their cheese burgers are what inspired Jimmy Buffets song cheeseburger in paradise.

Here is my first Snook ever.    https://imgur.com/a/38fmrc6

Went out this morning caught quite a few guys this size. https://imgur.com/a/uCw74mW

But this guy was really fun. Of course I was taking a whizz when he hit. So I quickly stuffed the junk back in the junkyard but I forgot to close the gate so everyone can see my red drawers lol. So my drag is just screaming get em to the boat takes off again drag still screamin ( I love that sound almost better than sex ). So now I have had him to the boat twice and he takes back off get him back to the boat a third time takes off again by this time I knew it wasn't a bass they don't fight that hard. I'm thinking either a big cat or a mud fish. Wasn't either it was a 4 foot long prehistoric looking alligator gar. Man that thing had some teeth in its bill it was a lot of fun catching it. Gotta love fishing or fisting depending what your in to.

https://imgur.com/a/2NuXnOx

Went out this morning caught quite a few guys this size. https://imgur.com/a/uCw74mW

But this guy was really fun. Of course I was taking a whizz when he hit. So I quickly stuffed the junk back in the junkyard but I forgot to close the gate so everyone can see my red drawers lol. So my drag is just screaming get em to the boat takes off again drag still screamin ( I love that sound almost better than sex ). So now I have had him to the boat twice and he takes back off get him back to the boat a third time takes off again by this time I knew it wasn't a bass they don't fight that hard. I'm thinking either a big cat or a mud fish. Wasn't either it was a 4 foot long prehistoric looking alligator gar. Man that thing had some teeth in its bill it was a lot of fun catching it. Gotta love fishing or fisting depending what your in to.

:lol:

This happened to me in Minnesota. Had my dong out when my sucker minnow went under (euphanism?)......

Anyway, stopped midstream and did NOT have time to shove the goods back in, tried to set the hook...and missed.....all the while pee is dribbling down my jeans.

My brothers are rolling laughing and luckily didn't get a pic due to the fact they didn't have a telephoto lens on board....

Awesome pic of the fish.  :thumbup:

:lol:

This happened to me in Minnesota. Had my dong out when my sucker minnow went under (euphanism?)......

Anyway, stopped midstream and did NOT have time to shove the goods back in, tried to set the hook...and missed.....all the while pee is dribbling down my jeans.

My brothers are rolling laughing and luckily didn't get a pic due to the fact they didn't have a telephoto lens on board....

Awesome pic of the fish.  :thumbup:
Hey I just read your post about you and your son. Loved reading that such a great story. You know your son will remember that forever. I can still remember my dad taking me fishing at that age or a little younger like it was yesterday.

I hope someday to make it up North somewhere to catch me one of those guys. Its just I have orange juice for blood so only a few months out of the year I could make it. I'm just jealous we don't have fish like that down here.

rustycolts said:

👊

rustycolts said:

"Fly" fishing!  Very cool to see the gar.

Somebody here has said that they know a great charter in either Crystal River or Homosassa. Give it to me. I just sold our kayaks and the Crosstour that carried them. Gonna use the proceeds for some decent charter fishing. We live very close by. Interested in either inshore grouper or offshore grouper. Also snook but we'll have to wait until Sept to bring some home for dinner.

Somebody here has said that they know a great charter in either Crystal River or Homosassa. Give it to me. I just sold our kayaks and the Crosstour that carried them. Gonna use the proceeds for some decent charter fishing. We live very close by. Interested in either inshore grouper or offshore grouper. Also snook but we'll have to wait until Sept to bring some home for dinner.
I think that was @rustycolts that had posted good east and west coast charters.

Not that size gar...but been seeing way too many of them in the river we fish for trout...freaky with 4 of them swim right past you in crystal clear water...or the big ### sturgeon that swam past 2 weeks ago.   The gar are definitely hurting the trout population currently as the bite has been way different than in previous years.

But had a nice trip to the river yesterday including a spot we have not fished since last year as it had gone a bit cold...water levels made it the best place to go yesterday and it was back to at least being decent.  

I always enjoy time on the Caney Fork....fun and a beautiful place to fish

I’m headed to Michigan soon for some fishing and family time on Hamlin Lake. Been there many times and always lower Hamlin. Do any locals have suggestions for areas or lure choice? Specifically fishing for largemouth. 

Also I moved to Texas about 1.5 years ago and have been itching to get on some lakes. I see O.H. Ivie had several Lunker Share catches. I really want to try Lake Fork. Can you rent a boat on that lake or should I just get a guide? Any other lakes Texans love for bass? 

Fishing on the Kenai in Soldotna is back on this year - we missed last year because of Covid, but this will be our 8th year now. Heading out July 15. I'll be sure to post pics.
please do post pics and a lot of them what do you target there take that to the bank brohan

please do post pics and a lot of them what do you target there take that to the bank brohan
Mainly sockeye. We rent a cabin right on the river and fish sockeye as much as we can. This year we have a silver (coho) trip planned, so we’ll spend a day doing that. We also have one “white fish day” where we drive to Homer and deep sea fish for halibut and ling cod. 
We sometimes will sub a day of kings for the day of silvers.

Needless to say, we usually come home with lots of fish. The last year we fished, all 8 of us brought home 80 lbs of filets each.

are you using spin gear or fly fishing for those bad boys i like the old noodle rod myself take that to the bank brohans 

are you using spin gear or fly fishing for those bad boys i like the old noodle rod myself take that to the bank brohans 
We use heavy fly rods (10 or 12) but it’s definitely not fly fishing. Here’s a description of the method. It takes a while to get good, but we’ve all gotten pretty darn good.

The setup for fishing for sockeye in this area is usually about a 3-to-4-foot leader with a barrel swivel on the top with some weight attached and at the other end either a Russian River fly or some yarn and a hook. The technique is you figure out the right amount of weight to use so you are just barely ticking off the bottom. You cast upstream at about 2 o’ clock and let your hook sink and drift downstream. The fish are facing upstream with their mouths opening to breathe, and the line between your weight and your hook runs through their mouth and when you feel your line stop you set the hook. This pulls the line through their mouths and then the hook sets into the side of their mouth otherwise known as “‘flossing.’ 

https://www.anchoragepress.com/sports_and_outdoors/all-you-need-to-know-about-catching-first-run-sockeye/article_836935a6-8701-11e9-9b09-5fa3561009a8.html

Mainly sockeye. We rent a cabin right on the river and fish sockeye as much as we can. This year we have a silver (coho) trip planned, so we’ll spend a day doing that. We also have one “white fish day” where we drive to Homer and deep sea fish for halibut and ling cod. 
We sometimes will sub a day of kings for the day of silvers.

Needless to say, we usually come home with lots of fish. The last year we fished, all 8 of us brought home 80 lbs of filets each.
Very jealous. I want to get back up there.

Went offshore out of Orange Beach, AL last Tuesday on a company trip for Red Snapper. Got our 11 man limit and pretty much nothing else. I got the 2 biggest fish of the day. I'm holding the biggest one here. What a slob and it nearly wore me out.

https://i.imgur.com/E2kbGBh.jpg
Two people to the left of you...is that Ron Dayne?

To the right of you.....is that Milton from Office Space (and actor who was in Dodge Ball)?

Spent a fair amount of money on fly-fishing gear as it's always been something I wanted to do later in life and now was the time to saddle up.  Went to Colorado.

Snowstorms prevented a few days.  Then got skunked the other days.  Not.  One.  Fish.  LOL.

What was worse, some college kid came down around a spot I was fishing.  I realize it's not the best etiquette or whatever but I really didn't care.  I was in waders and all geared up with like 2K of ####.  He went in there with shorts and a T-shirt, barefoot.  Caught a fish within 15 minutes. 

He had two chicks with him to boot.  The one went upstream while the other sloshed around giggling at trying to net his fish.  She couldn't catch it but it still never came off his line.  Pics ensued while I took 1/2 hour on the bank trying to tie a fly I couldn't see.

Then the guy catches another, bigger one.  Beautiful fish too.  They are doing tik toks of this stuff like they're catching goldfish at the county fair and here I am, Captain Dork who can't even get a fish to rise.

It gets worse.  The other girl around the bend yells for the net.  Yup, she got one too.

I was around there all day and got NADA.  I hike up and out and look back and the girls are now down to their bikinis in the middle of the river, taking pics on the rocks.

All told, still a great day on the water.

Spent a fair amount of money on fly-fishing gear as it's always been something I wanted to do later in life and now was the time to saddle up.  Went to Colorado.

Snowstorms prevented a few days.  Then got skunked the other days.  Not.  One.  Fish.  LOL.

What was worse, some college kid came down around a spot I was fishing.  I realize it's not the best etiquette or whatever but I really didn't care.  I was in waders and all geared up with like 2K of ####.  He went in there with shorts and a T-shirt, barefoot.  Caught a fish within 15 minutes. 

He had two chicks with him to boot.  The one went upstream while the other sloshed around giggling at trying to net his fish.  She couldn't catch it but it still never came off his line.  Pics ensued while I took 1/2 hour on the bank trying to tie a fly I couldn't see.

Then the guy catches another, bigger one.  Beautiful fish too.  They are doing tik toks of this stuff like they're catching goldfish at the county fair and here I am, Captain Dork who can't even get a fish to rise.

It gets worse.  The other girl around the bend yells for the net.  Yup, she got one too.

I was around there all day and got NADA.  I hike up and out and look back and the girls are now down to their bikinis in the middle of the river, taking pics on the rocks.

All told, still a great day on the water.
Should have talked to him. Asked what he was using or doing differently. 

Should have talked to him. Asked what he was using or doing differently. 
Thought about that.  I told him great job and all, they were nice kids, but I couldn't bring myself to find out more.  I was almost done anyway and it felt intrusive to do so -- the three of them were doing their own thing.

BTW, one thing I could not believe he was doing was slapping the water with his line.  It was towards the shore -- not where he'd place the fly adrift -- and he clearly wasn't "fishing" but I've just never seen that before.  When I met up with my friend down river -- a legit fly fisherman -- and told him about it, he had no clue either.

What was that about?  Like he was trying to get a knot out but obviously that wasn't it.  Weird.  Even more reason why I was so confounded by it all.

what time of year was it in when hoppers and terrestrials are on you fish the banks and you want to slap down the fly take that to the bank brohans 

We leave tomorrow for our annual Alaska fishing trip. Arrive in Anchorage tomorrow evening and drive to Soldotna Friday morning. We will fish sockeye from the bank of our cabin for the majority of the trip. Sunday we have our white fish day out on the ocean from Homer. We are passing on Kings this year because it is only catch and release. Some of the guys are going on a float plane to do some sliver fishing, but we did that a few years ago and I like sockeye fishing better so I'm going to stay and catch every damn sockeye in that river.

I'll try to post some pics. So psyched since we missed last year due to Covid.

Fish On!

We leave tomorrow for our annual Alaska fishing trip. Arrive in Anchorage tomorrow evening and drive to Soldotna Friday morning. We will fish sockeye from the bank of our cabin for the majority of the trip. Sunday we have our white fish day out on the ocean from Homer. We are passing on Kings this year because it is only catch and release. Some of the guys are going on a float plane to do some sliver fishing, but we did that a few years ago and I like sockeye fishing better so I'm going to stay and catch every damn sockeye in that river.

I'll try to post some pics. So psyched since we missed last year due to Covid.

Fish On!
That's awesome. The only thing better than actually getting there is the excitement you feel the night before.

Have a great time.  :headbang:

Saw this yesterday, and thought of this thread

FISH DROP: Thousands of fish were dropped from a plane into lakes near Bicknell, Utah July 6. The goal is to restock the lakes, which are only accessible by plane. The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources says, "survival of aerial-stocked fish is incredibly high."

Not quite Sharknado... :oldunsure:

On a plane back from my Alaska fishing trip. Another fantastic time - this was our 8th year going. We have 8 guys that make the trip. Here are the details.

Thursday - arrived in Anchorage and stayed the night in a hotel.

Friday - We headed out for Soldotna at 9 AM. Got to town about noon, had pizza and beers and went to Fred Meyer to get a bunch of groceries and necessities. Checked into the cabins at 4. Headed down to the Kenai river to fish sockeye. Fishing SUCKED. I got one and that was it for the whole group (I took home the “first fish” trophy). The sockeye numbers for the day were 13k which is really bad. We were a bit bummed.

Saturday - The newer guys in the group took a guided sockeye trip on the Kasilof. Four of us stayed back to fish the Kenai outside our cabin. We fished all day and got skunked. The guys on the Kasilof limited out at 6 each so at least we knew sockeye were running somewhere. At this point we had 50 lbs of sockeye filets so we at least knew we were going to have some salmon. Later that night we hit the Kenai again and pulled out a few sockeye - it was good to see them starting to come.

Sunday - Sunday is always white fish day down in Homer. It’s a LONG day (leave at 4 AM and back at 9 PM) but it’s a blast. Long story short here but all 8 of us limited out on halibut, rock fish, and ling cod. After processing we ended up with 270 lbs of white fish. Just an insane day. Our guide Gabe (boat named the Casino) is the best fishing guide I’ve ever seen. We’ve had him for 3 years now and every year we limit out on all three. He’s amazing. We get back to the cabin and throw rods in the Kenai and pull out about 10 sockeye.  Now that’s a good day of fishing.

Monday - 5 guys took a guided silver trip (another long story but they got skunked) and 3 of us stayed back to fish our river. I got 9 sockeye and the other guys got 7 total so we had 16 more. The other guys got back and they were running pretty well. We grabbed a few more.

Tuesday - We leave Wednesday so we have to stop fishing at about 2 PM to get the fish to the processors by 5 PM so it’s frozen to take home Wednesday AM. This was an insane day. The count in the river for the day was over 80k and that’s a fantastic day. We got 27 sockeye between us all in about four hours. There were times when we had six guys fishing and had four fish on at the same time. Craziness.

The final count was we each took home 62 lbs of filets - about 34 lbs of whites and 28 lbs of reds. 

I can’t recommend this trip enough. It’s a trip all of us look forward to all year. Lots of fishing and drinking and late nights and good times. And we get to enjoy it all year eating the fruits of our labors.

The last thing I’ll say is that I never sleep better than I do on this trip. We are so exhausted each night from standing in a cold river and fishing for 12 hours and drinking all day that I crash insanely hard. It’s absolute wonderful.

🎣

On a plane back from my Alaska fishing trip. Another fantastic time - this was our 8th year going. We have 8 guys that make the trip. Here are the details.

Thursday - arrived in Anchorage and stayed the night in a hotel.

Friday - We headed out for Soldotna at 9 AM. Got to town about noon, had pizza and beers and went to Fred Meyer to get a bunch of groceries and necessities. Checked into the cabins at 4. Headed down to the Kenai river to fish sockeye. Fishing SUCKED. I got one and that was it for the whole group (I took home the “first fish” trophy). The sockeye numbers for the day were 13k which is really bad. We were a bit bummed.

Saturday - The newer guys in the group took a guided sockeye trip on the Kasilof. Four of us stayed back to fish the Kenai outside our cabin. We fished all day and got skunked. The guys on the Kasilof limited out at 6 each so at least we knew sockeye were running somewhere. At this point we had 50 lbs of sockeye filets so we at least knew we were going to have some salmon. Later that night we hit the Kenai again and pulled out a few sockeye - it was good to see them starting to come.

Sunday - Sunday is always white fish day down in Homer. It’s a LONG day (leave at 4 AM and back at 9 PM) but it’s a blast. Long story short here but all 8 of us limited out on halibut, rock fish, and ling cod. After processing we ended up with 270 lbs of white fish. Just an insane day. Our guide Gabe (boat named the Casino) is the best fishing guide I’ve ever seen. We’ve had him for 3 years now and every year we limit out on all three. He’s amazing. We get back to the cabin and throw rods in the Kenai and pull out about 10 sockeye.  Now that’s a good day of fishing.

Monday - 5 guys took a guided silver trip (another long story but they got skunked) and 3 of us stayed back to fish our river. I got 9 sockeye and the other guys got 7 total so we had 16 more. The other guys got back and they were running pretty well. We grabbed a few more.

Tuesday - We leave Wednesday so we have to stop fishing at about 2 PM to get the fish to the processors by 5 PM so it’s frozen to take home Wednesday AM. This was an insane day. The count in the river for the day was over 80k and that’s a fantastic day. We got 27 sockeye between us all in about four hours. There were times when we had six guys fishing and had four fish on at the same time. Craziness.

The final count was we each took home 62 lbs of filets - about 34 lbs of whites and 28 lbs of reds. 

I can’t recommend this trip enough. It’s a trip all of us look forward to all year. Lots of fishing and drinking and late nights and good times. And we get to enjoy it all year eating the fruits of our labors.

The last thing I’ll say is that I never sleep better than I do on this trip. We are so exhausted each night from standing in a cold river and fishing for 12 hours and drinking all day that I crash insanely hard. It’s absolute wonderful.

🎣
So jealous. 

Users who are viewing this thread