What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

anyone here into fishing? (3 Viewers)

Saturday was opening day for Trout in PA (the only day I keep 'em). We had about 20 fish on the smoker by noon and proceeded to :mellow: the day away.

Words cant describe my love for this breakfast... everything bagel, cream cheese, fresh smoked trout, capers, diced red onions. :fishing:

I fish in SW LouisianaBest fishing per sq mile in teh US. They also say the Mouth of the mississippi has the most sharks per sq mile because of all the sea life there due to the nutriants coming in from all of the crops.Holy Run On Sentence Batman.We fish for redfish and flounder and trout. Catching 100 trout in a day down here is common, of course you can only keep so many. 20-30 miles offshore some awesome tuna fishing.
Are they the speckeled sea trout?
Yep. "Specks", "reds" and "flatties" ...The Chandelier Islands are (at least were before Katrina) an inshore saltwater fishing paradise ...
I just googled these "flatties" you speak of. I'm pretty sure we don't have them this far south. I was also surprised/disapointed that when you google "flatties" the first page is not full of small boobed women.

Caught my limit of rainbow trout this morning after getting home from work. Nothing like having them smack the #### out of a fly that you've placed perfectly on the water, then fighting them on a nice flyrod. Good times. :thumbdown: Just finished cleaning them. Guess what I'm having for dinner tonight? :hey: :confused:

E Street Brat said:
I fish in SW LouisianaBest fishing per sq mile in teh US. They also say the Mouth of the mississippi has the most sharks per sq mile because of all the sea life there due to the nutriants coming in from all of the crops.Holy Run On Sentence Batman.We fish for redfish and flounder and trout. Catching 100 trout in a day down here is common, of course you can only keep so many. 20-30 miles offshore some awesome tuna fishing.
Yep. "Specks", "reds" and "flatties" ...The Chandelier Islands are (at least were before Katrina) an inshore saltwater fishing paradise ...
I just googled these "flatties" you speak of. I'm pretty sure we don't have them this far south. I was also surprised/disapointed that when you google "flatties" the first page is not full of small boobed women.
"Specks" = Spotted Seatrout, aka Speckled Trout"Reds" = Red Drum, aka Redfish"Flatties" = Southern Flounder, aka in northern parts as "fluke"Chandeleur Islands is/was a chain of small, mostly submerged islands about 20+/- miles due south of Biloxi, MS. Incredible fishing before Katrina. I haven't been since, so I cannot attest to the conditions there now.

Finless said:
N.Y. Shreks said:
Caught my limit of rainbow trout this morning after getting home from work. Nothing like having them smack the #### out of a fly that you've placed perfectly on the water, then fighting them on a nice flyrod. Good times. :clap: Just finished cleaning them. Guess what I'm having for dinner tonight? :D :)
Where are you fishing? I just picked up a new Lamson Velocity. Can't want to try the drag out on this puppy. :banned: to fat rainbows
This was in a lake that the DNR stocks in NE Iowa. The only bad thing is that the lake is rather shallow, and when the water heats up in the summer, the trout die for the most part. But until then, they stock it regularly, including with some fat broods. They are some beautiful fish.BTW, nice reel. :) :bye: Good luck. Tis the season!

Got the boat out for the first time this season (Lake Michigan). Between the three of us we limited out on some nice fat perch (15 total). Also picked up 7 Browns and one Laker. Good times !! :lmao:

"Specks" = Spotted Seatrout, aka Speckled Trout"Reds" = Red Drum, aka Redfish"Flatties" = Southern Flounder, aka in northern parts as "fluke"Chandeleur Islands is/was a chain of small, mostly submerged islands about 20+/- miles due south of Biloxi, MS. Incredible fishing before Katrina. I haven't been since, so I cannot attest to the conditions there now.
Yeah, I think we call the "specks" weakfish up here in NJ.

I'll be up on the San Juan River this coming weekend. This will be only the second time I've got to fish this year and only the second time I'll have ever used my Winston fly rod.

If I get anything 20" or more, I'll post a pic.

Yeah, I think we call the "specks" weakfish up here in NJ.
You may be right. Weakies are also known as trout, but only the shoeby's call them trout. (inside joke).I fish the Delaware bay off the Jersey side. We catch weakies, Striper (striped bass), and flounder mostly. We also catch our fair share of drum fish, blues, croakers. Our season doesnt really start until the beginning of May though. My friend and I bought a 20' Sundance, we fish pretty much every weekend in the summer.Almost time. Cant wait

I sat on the Umpqua River for 6 and half hours yesterday in a brisk wind waiting for the prized Spring Chinook.....it never came. There were five boats within view and not even a bite amongst them all.

It is a little early, but there should have been at least some action.

I guess I should switch over to the easy fish you all are talking about!

Went fishing on a friends boat of the Gulf of Mexico Friday. Was fairly unproductive the first few hours, catching small Whitings and Pompano. Then my buddy lands a 2-3 foot Black Tip Shark. We bleed it and string it off the back of the boat and attract about 10-15 of em within 15 minutes. They were swarming around the boat. Had about 5 different lines snapped by others, but my nephew landed one more before some dolphins showed up and scared em away. We had a shark feast last night, fed about 15 people. GOOD eatin.

Buddy with first catch

Nephew landing his catch

Nephew holding his catch

Dinner was tasty

:mellow:

Went fishing on a friends boat of the Gulf of Mexico Friday. Was fairly unproductive the first few hours, catching small Whitings and Pompano. Then my buddy lands a 2-3 foot Black Tip Shark. We bleed it and string it off the back of the boat and attract about 10-15 of em within 15 minutes. They were swarming around the boat. Had about 5 different lines snapped by others, but my nephew landed one more before some dolphins showed up and scared em away. We had a shark feast last night, fed about 15 people. GOOD eatin.

Buddy with first catch

Nephew landing his catch

Nephew holding his catch

Dinner was tasty

:angry:
Sharks are good eating? :goodposting: I always thought most people just threw them back. Of course, I'm used to the sand sharks caught here in the Delaware Bay. These sand sharks along with oyster crackers and sea robins were considered "trash" fish. We would, however, keep a couple to cut up for bait.

BTW, who's the chick in the last pic? :(

Buddy with first catch

Nephew landing his catch

Nephew holding his catch

Dinner was tasty

:sarcasm:
Sharks are good eating? :sarcasm: I always thought most people just threw them back. Of course, I'm used to the sand sharks caught here in the Delaware Bay. These sand sharks along with oyster crackers and sea robins were considered "trash" fish. We would, however, keep a couple to cut up for bait.

BTW, who's the chick in the last pic? :)
Sharks in the gulf are apparently pretty tasty, at least the opnes we caught. Theyre pretty muh all meat with just a single cartiledge-like bone thingy down the middle. Tastes alot like swordfish, with a similar texture. Rubbed them with olive oil and lemon juice and grilled em like a steak. Fantastic.Oh, and the girl is my buddy's wife.

Saturday was the second opening day for Trout in PA.(we split opening days now) Weather was fairly cold. Was able catch 3 Stocked Rainbows, all about the average size for the stockers, 2 @ 11in and 1 @ 13in. Only fished the morning and was lucky enough to not get caught in the miserable rain that fell during the afternoon. They are now in the freezer waiting for a nice day to throw on the grill.

Buddy with first catch

Nephew landing his catch

Nephew holding his catch

Dinner was tasty

:fishing:
Sharks are good eating? :confused: I always thought most people just threw them back. Of course, I'm used to the sand sharks caught here in the Delaware Bay. These sand sharks along with oyster crackers and sea robins were considered "trash" fish. We would, however, keep a couple to cut up for bait.

BTW, who's the chick in the last pic? :thumbup:
Sharks in the gulf are apparently pretty tasty, at least the opnes we caught. Theyre pretty muh all meat with just a single cartiledge-like bone thingy down the middle. Tastes alot like swordfish, with a similar texture. Rubbed them with olive oil and lemon juice and grilled em like a steak. Fantastic.Oh, and the girl is my buddy's wife.
I throw them (blacktips) back. But I have heard you can eat them. Frankly since I wade I have little interest in handling them and getting them into my donut ...ETA: Really I cut my line. I aint getting my spoon out of that thing's mouth ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Finless said:
I'll be up on the San Juan River this coming weekend. This will be only the second time I've got to fish this year and only the second time I'll have ever used my Winston fly rod.If I get anything 20" or more, I'll post a pic.
No runoff in the San Juan? Let me know because I'll be driving down there. What part?
The runoff was at 700 cfs. I usually like to fish anywhere from Texas hole on up. I'll fish the lower end when the crowds get heavy. They did a lot of improvements down the river which have helped the fishing below the lower flats.They will be raising the flows in May. By the end of May, the flows will be back down to 500 cfs. The fishing was tough last weekend because the lake is turning over and the fish were all eating moss and the river was full of it. Not to mention, the water temperature was as low as it has been in 20 years. Fishing was tough.

Saturday was the second opening day for Trout in PA.(we split opening days now) Weather was fairly cold. Was able catch 3 Stocked Rainbows, all about the average size for the stockers, 2 @ 11in and 1 @ 13in. Only fished the morning and was lucky enough to not get caught in the miserable rain that fell during the afternoon. They are now in the freezer waiting for a nice day to throw on the grill.
What's the deal on the split???

The Gag Grouper bite at the Skyway has been pretty good lately, caught a 21 incher (an inch short of legal) last week, as well as a bunch in the 14-18" range. Still looking for that first keeper.

Those Goliaths get Pretty darn big. A kid caught one off the North Side Skyway pier last Monday, in the 350-400lb range. The Florida record is 680 lbs :confused:

I love fishing. I just got into it this year. I have fished as a kid, but hadn't fished much at all in the past 10 year. I went out bass fishing with a friend of mine about 6 months ago and got hooked, and since then have gone all in. I have a Skeeter 17' bass boat with a 90 horse Yamaha 2 stroke motor. It is an awesome boat.

My favorite lure to fish is rattle traps. My favorite rattle trap to fish is by Yo-zure. I have a collection of about 6 of them. I also have a pretty good collection of Boo Ya Boggie Baits. They are like a cross between a spinner and a jig. I have a good collection of soft plastics too. My favorite soft plastics maker is Gary Yammoto. Senkos are legendary for catching big bass.

I started out getting into fishing in central MA. I rented a condo on Webster Lake in Webster, MA. It had a boat slip and I would go out every weekend. I caught a lot of pickrel, and bass. I just moved to Lakeland, FL. I put my boat at a marina on the Winter Haven Chain of Lakes. I have fished there 2 times now, but haven't caught anything. I went out in the middle of the day, so it has been bad timing both times. I need to get out in the morning.

I had been fishing mostly spinning reels, but recently bought baitcasting reels. I like both, and I am not used to the baitcasters enough to really understand what is better about them. I am just starting to get the feel of them now, but they cast really smotthe. I have been using Quantum reels and St. Croix rods. They both work well for me.

Cool to see fishing fans on the board. Was wondering if there was a thread like this out there and I just found it for the first time. I also saw a few posters in the Lakeland / Tampa Bay FL area. If anyone wants to go fishing on the Chain in Winter Haven, let me know. I am always looking for someone to fish with.

Sup Jason

E Street Brat and myself are also in Lakeland, although Ive never met him. Gonna have to go fishin with him one of these days, as I see he knows how to catch some fish.

Lots of Tampa area guys here too.

Myself, I like saltwater over freshwater. Lots bigger fish, and I get out on the gulf every once in a while. Nuttin better. Conventional reels are better for BIGGER fish, as the rod itself takes most of the weight vs the giudes on a spinning rod, and the conventional reels have WAYYYY more torque than the spinning reels. You can land just about anything with a big enough conventional reel. Myself I prefer spinning setups, but will give conventionals a try once I get a boat (shootin for springtime)

See ya on teh flip side.

Oh yeah, what part of Lakeland you in?? Im right by Sandpiper golf course, North side. I think E Street may be near the mall off of 98 north, also North Side.

Sup JasonE Street Brat and myself are also in Lakeland, although Ive never met him. Gonna have to go fishin with him one of these days, as I see he knows how to catch some fish. Lots of Tampa area guys here too.Myself, I like saltwater over freshwater. Lots bigger fish, and I get out on the gulf every once in a while. Nuttin better. Baitcasting reels are better for BIGGER fish, as the rod itself takes most of the weight vs the giudes on a spinning rod, and the conventional reels have WAYYYY more torque than the spinning reels. You can land just about anything with a big enough baitcasting rod & reel. Myself I prefer spinning setups, but will give conventionals a try once I get a boat (shootin for springtime)See ya on teh flip side.Oh yeah, what part of Lakeland you in?? Im right by Sandpiper golf course, North side. I think E Street may be near the mall off of 98 north, also North Side.
I live in an apartment complex, The Paddock Club, which is also right by Sandpiper on the north side. Right near 5 guys, and Starbucks on 33.I think salwater sounds awesome, but I know nothing about it. I would be up for trying some saltwater fishing. I don't have any saltwater lures, but I have a rod and reel I could use for it. Like I said, I have a Skeeter on the Chain in Winter Haven. I went with a friend of mine from work, but I don't have anyone else I fish with on the regular. I just moved here about a month ago. Send me an email sometime and maybe we can put together a trip.

Sup JasonE Street Brat and myself are also in Lakeland, although Ive never met him. Gonna have to go fishin with him one of these days, as I see he knows how to catch some fish. Lots of Tampa area guys here too.Myself, I like saltwater over freshwater. Lots bigger fish, and I get out on the gulf every once in a while. Nuttin better. Baitcasting reels are better for BIGGER fish, as the rod itself takes most of the weight vs the giudes on a spinning rod, and the conventional reels have WAYYYY more torque than the spinning reels. You can land just about anything with a big enough baitcasting rod & reel. Myself I prefer spinning setups, but will give conventionals a try once I get a boat (shootin for springtime)See ya on teh flip side.Oh yeah, what part of Lakeland you in?? Im right by Sandpiper golf course, North side. I think E Street may be near the mall off of 98 north, also North Side.
I live in an apartment complex, The Paddock Club, which is also right by Sandpiper on the north side. Right near 5 guys, and Starbucks on 33.I think saltwater sounds awesome, but I know nothing about it. I would be up for trying some saltwater fishing. I don't have any saltwater lures, but I have a rod and reel I could use for it. Like I said, I have a Skeeter on the Chain in Winter Haven. I went with a friend of mine from work, but I don't have anyone else I fish with on the regular. I just moved here about a month ago. Send me an email sometime and maybe we can put together a trip.
Dude youre like 1 mile from me, if that. It would take me about 10 minutes to walk to the Paddock Club. Im right off of Corona Del Mar, just north of the McDonalds. Actually just off of Odom and Corona Del Mar. Small world eh?Saltwater is easy and fun --- we use mostly live or cut bait. For BIG fish a conventional is usually recommended, but Ive caught plenty of fish on the piers and in the gulf within 10 miles offshore using a spinning setup. We will definitely have to hook up for some fishing. Once you hook that first Grouper or Bonito, you will wanna go salt fishing again. Ill PM ya when I get some free time after X-mas. Busy busy busy till then.Maybe we can get E Street to come along as well. He does mostly freshwater I think, but Im sure hes open to any type of fishing.

You can’t have a Lakeland cornhole without a fishing trip. Count me in!

I have fished the Winter Haven chain a couple times with some success.

See post 79 on pg 2 for a nice speck my buddy caught out there. We also spent a lot of time out in Saddle Creek Park.

I just took a part time job at the Ice Palace, with every dollar I make going into my boat fund. I like saltwater fishing better, so I’m looking for a flats skiff.

What's the deal on the split???
Sorry I didn't see this back in April. The deal with the split is that the PA Fish Commission decided on 2 opening days in 2007. The SE part of the state (Philly area) had their opening day 2 weeks prior to the traditional PA opening day.

Wow its been a while since this thread was bumped...Up until a couple of weeks ago I hadnt done ANY fishing since early January...Got back to the Skyway piers 4 times in the last few weeks and have been having a blast.

Finally figured out where and how to catch snappers down there. Last 3 trips Ive brought home 6, 8, and 11 keepers. Still looking for my first keeper grouper.

Yesterday was a great day on the water. Caught about 25 snappers (11 keepers), 10-15 groupers (all undersize), a decent white grunt and a few other various fish...at one point about 6pm the bite turned on and I got 6 grouper on 6 consecutive casts within 10-15 minutes. Too bad the biggest was only 18" (22" is legal size). The smallest? a 3" red grouper.

Saw Florida Willdlife Commision come out and bust some guys that had 4 undersize grouper in their cooler. They got nailed with four $200 tickets - one for each fish. He could have fined them $500 per fish but for some reason went easy on em.

Gonna head back out Tuesday the 29th and again next Sunday as long as its not too windy.

Yesterdays catch (keep in mind snapper keeper size is only 10 inches, and all of em in the pic are 10-11")

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5016/catchyn3.jpg

:)

Time for some fried snapper sandwiches and blackened fish tacos!

Finally got around to taking (and passing) the NJ Safe Boating Course which is now mandatory. Just need to get the boat registered and do some musky fishing (PA and north Jersey) before the water gets too warm. I missed out on a lot of fall fishing last year and so far nothing yet this spring.

I used to do a lot of trout fishing. Now the lures I use for musky are bigger than the trout.

Hey WN. Did you catch the Snapper form the pier, or from boat by the pier?
From the pier. Didnt make it out Tuesday but will be out there all day Sunday. Warm water temps + New moon + 4 tide day = good fishin!
I've never been down to the skyway pier. What side are fishing and what kind of bait are you tossing?Ever seen anybody using artificials like "Gulp" Shrimp or something out there?

I only fish the south side pier. The north is too short and I havent had much luck there. The south side pier is alot longer and has alot more structure. Check out these pics of the piers (the black bars in the water are the rockpiles...much easier to see on the south side, and on a good sunny day you can see em from the pier)

SOUTHSIDE SKYWAY PIER

NORTHSIDE SKYWAY PIER

Yeah Ive seen people get fish on artificials out there..I caught a 18" grouper on a rapala xrap a few weeks ago. Alot more poeple are catching grouper on lures lately. Just let the tide take it way out past the rocks and reel it back in. Im not sure about gulp! products..Ive used the artificial strip baits a few times with some success but its hit or miss and they usually dont chew it for long. I fish the side the tide is moving away from - the bay (bridge) on incoming tide, and the gulf side on outgoing. I usually use live pinfish for grouper, and live or cut greenbacks for snapper, macks, bonito, black bass, etc...in cold water, dead baits work well (sardines, mullet, squid, shrimp).

Also gotcha plugs and clark spoons work well for macks and bonito, and occasionally kingfish and bluefish.

Whitebait is easy to castnet there as the top of the water is so thick with em you think you could walk on em.

You oughtta meet us out there one of these weekends, the bite has picked up lately and theres alot of action in the right sports.

Got a couple of nice GAGS Sunday at the pier.

Next Sunday Im goin on a charter in the gulf about 30 miles out...should get some monsters to bring home.

Dentist said:
How do you determine what size of barrell swivels that you need?
I pretty much use 90lb swivels for the pier and inshore, theyre pretty small but pretty stout. I get em in packs of 80 or 100. For offshore Id beef it up a bit, not sure how big but will find out this weekend.eta: the swivel in the pic hanging off the fish on the right isnt mine...that leader was in him when I caught him. My swivels are alot smaller.

Dentist said:
I pretty much use 90lb swivels for the pier and inshore, theyre pretty small but pretty stout. I get em in packs of 80 or 100. For offshore Id beef it up a bit, not sure how big but will find out this weekend.eta: the swivel in the pic hanging off the fish on the right isnt mine...that leader was in him when I caught him. My swivels are alot smaller.
I don't even use one. :goodposting: Inshore I go with 15lb braided line, and tie on a 2/3 foot 20/30lb flurocarbon leader.Hey WN. you goin back to the SSP on Sunday? Let me know if you wanna meet up.

I don't even use one. :lmao: Inshore I go with 15lb braided line, and tie on a 2/3 foot 20/30lb flurocarbon leader.Hey WN. you goin back to the SSP on Sunday? Let me know if you wanna meet up.
Im goin Sat for sure and will Sunday if I can get back to town by morning. The tides and solunars dont look too promising for the weekend but Ill catch somethin.

I don't even use one. :goodposting: Inshore I go with 15lb braided line, and tie on a 2/3 foot 20/30lb flurocarbon leader.Hey WN. you goin back to the SSP on Sunday? Let me know if you wanna meet up.
I havent used braided line yet, but am probably gonna start next weekend...when I do Ill still use a mono leader though, especially for grouper. Plus with areas of the pier being pretty snaggy, Id rather have some mono up top for a bit of stretch and a breaking point when the inevitable snag happens.

Going out to catch some rainbow trout on Saturday morning. Caught a couple that were close to 2 lbs each last weekend.

BUMP

Hey Estreet you been out lately? Plan on goin anytime soon? Kingfish and monster macks (20-30") are on fire at the piers right now...bonitos should show up soon...I havent been in a few weeks, had no luck last trip but might go this wekend

Users who are viewing this thread