What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (1 Viewer)

So we are redoing the kitchen as I type this. Counters went in on Sat, faucets, water, appliances on Monday. Backsplash yesterday. Grout today. So we are putting the kitchen back together and plug in the little kitchen TV. One of my kids stepped on it and it's gone. Finding another 28 inch TV in a big box store (or any store) is impossible. The wife doesn't want to wait a week for one, so she wants a 24 inch. Ah well, it saves me money. 

Decided to get a couple cheapies that maybe the teen will watch with me.   Bought the 4K player AD linked in the thread, and at Best Buy bought Rogue One for $9 and Spiderman: Homecoming for $15.   I also have Apocalypse Now at home.     Now it's time to write down some titles I don't have at the house for the start of my Christmas list.  I am sure the Hitchcock pack will be on there since I only have Psycho on BR.  

ETA:  I was disappointed to see that only Phantom Thread showed up for PTA movies when I searched for 4Ks.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the market for a couple of new TV's but with one caveat regarding sound. I would prefer to listen to the sound over headphones, preferably BT. Is that a thing with these smart TV's?

I want to put a TV in our loft but don't necessarily want the sound to carry all over the house, hence the headphone requirement. 

I'm in the market for a couple of new TV's but with one caveat regarding sound. I would prefer to listen to the sound over headphones, preferably BT. Is that a thing with these smart TV's?

I want to put a TV in our loft but don't necessarily want the sound to carry all over the house, hence the headphone requirement. 
I use Apple TV and AirPods. Works great. Get Pros if you need sound canceling 

KarmaPolice said:
Decided to get a couple cheapies that maybe the teen will watch with me.   Bought the 4K player AD linked in the thread, and at Best Buy bought Rogue One for $9 and Spiderman: Homecoming for $15.   I also have Apocalypse Now at home.     Now it's time to write down some titles I don't have at the house for the start of my Christmas list.  I am sure the Hitchcock pack will be on there since I only have Psycho on BR.  

ETA:  I was disappointed to see that only Phantom Thread showed up for PTA movies when I searched for 4Ks.  
Yeah I imagine over the next few years we will see a lot of movies make their way to 4K. It’s a very small list right now relatively speaking.

Yeah I imagine over the next few years we will see a lot of movies make their way to 4K. It’s a very small list right now relatively speaking.
4K's are not that expensive. I just bought Full Metal Jacket for $16. The Back to the future trilogy is cheap.
If you don't mind used, Ebay is your friend. Everything I bought from there has been good. We're talking
Matrix trilogy, D Craig Bond collection, Mission Impossible collection, and Star Wars 6-9.

My local shop is bullmoose.com. They have some good stuff. Movies, along with a lot of music.
Free shipping for orders over $35.  

4K's are not that expensive. I just bought Full Metal Jacket for $16. The Back to the future trilogy is cheap.
If you don't mind used, Ebay is your friend. Everything I bought from there has been good. We're talking
Matrix trilogy, D Craig Bond collection, Mission Impossible collection, and Star Wars 6-9.

My local shop is bullmoose.com. They have some good stuff. Movies, along with a lot of music.
Free shipping for orders over $35.  
Yeah and if you shop this time of the year, tons of deals. I just got all 3 John Wicks for about $30 new. The amount and variety of titles available is still pretty limited though. For example, Chinatown, Casablanca, Godfather trilogy, Citizen Kane, Amadeus, LA Confidential, Boogie Nights, etc

New OLED was delivered yesterday and picked up a Panasonic bluray player and will start buying some movies to enjoy on it. Grabbed The Shining for $9.99 and the John Wick movies for $7.99 each from Best Buy. Will pick up a few more tomorrow I'm sure. 

Was getting the lip sync issue again on the LG. Switched the sound to PCM and it appeared to immediately fix the issue. So if anyone has a lip sync only on old commercials or live TV, (i.e. not every channel) it is worth a shot.

New OLED was delivered yesterday and picked up a Panasonic bluray player and will start buying some movies to enjoy on it. Grabbed The Shining for $9.99 and the John Wick movies for $7.99 each from Best Buy. Will pick up a few more tomorrow I'm sure. 
Blu-ray or 4K player?

I haven't bought any 4K Dvds yet. Kind of excited. The only problem is, nothing has been produced in months. You go to the store, and it is nothing but B movies. Got a new sound system, great TV. And notta.

The Xbox X looks fantastic. Wish we had more entertainment during this time.

I haven't bought any 4K Dvds yet. Kind of excited. The only problem is, nothing has been produced in months. You go to the store, and it is nothing but B movies. Got a new sound system, great TV. And notta.

The Xbox X looks fantastic. Wish we had more entertainment during this time.
Yeah it’s all stuff thats getting released for the first one on 4K but isn’t necessarily new. Going to be awhile on that. Netflix has new stuff though. 

Yeah it’s all stuff thats getting released for the first one on 4K but isn’t necessarily new. Going to be awhile on that. Netflix has new stuff though. 

I got that as well. I just don't want to triple up on Dvds. Regular, Blu Ray, 4k. Yet we still are idiots. And probably will.

Was getting the lip sync issue again on the LG. Switched the sound to PCM and it appeared to immediately fix the issue. So if anyone has a lip sync only on old commercials or live TV, (i.e. not every channel) it is worth a shot.
Bleh, edit to add, the fix was temporary. Switching modes fixed it for awhile, then it came back. Very disappointed in the LG OLED. Apparently we'll deal with these audio issues as long as we have this TV.

Bleh, edit to add, the fix was temporary. Switching modes fixed it for awhile, then it came back. Very disappointed in the LG OLED. Apparently we'll deal with these audio issues as long as we have this TV.
I haven't paid attention to this subplot in the thread - I assume you've contacted customer support and all that?  Can you get a replacement TV?

I haven't paid attention to this subplot in the thread - I assume you've contacted customer support and all that?  Can you get a replacement TV?
It's a well known LG issue apparently. Unfortunate the five or six sites I looked at that recommended this TV all failed to mention it. I did sign up for the LG Forum and am still waiting for the "Please confirm your email" email to come through so I can post. I have read that the issue is tied to 2.0 HDMI trying to send signals to 2.1 devices but I don't think that is my issue given it is a TV speaker.

Tried one other thing I saw somewhere. I hard-wired the TV to the router and turned off the wifi connection. Long shot but what the heck.

What I have learned from this is that if you buy ANY LG TV, this may be an issue. It seems wide-spread across their entire inventory.

Any recommendations for an inexpensive soundbar that is acceptable quality? I'm not very picky, but just want something better than the TV speakers. Any great deals today that I should snag?

Any recommendations for an inexpensive soundbar that is acceptable quality? I'm not very picky, but just want something better than the TV speakers. Any great deals today that I should snag?
@nysfl2  - there are a couple on the last page of the Black Friday thread.  I think one looked decent and was sub $100.  

Has anyone used any kind of ambient lighting on your TV?  I was looking at something like thisAmazon link Is this just gimmicky or does it really add to the viewing experience? 
I use it and it does help with the eye strain...also makes colors pop more and just overall looks cool.  I did some pretty good research on it a while back and what's recommended is the white light behind it...the colors are more gimmicky and for just visual effect.

This is what I have.  Specific K value of light for best viewing.

-----

The MediaLight Quad 6500K Bias Lighting System is a professional-grade bias lighting solution that uses the same accurate LEDs as the ones used by professional colourists and editors

https://www.amazon.com/MediaLight-Bias-Lighting-System-Controlled/dp/B06Y2FSYQY

Aaaanndd??? How does it look!? 

It's in my cart and I don't want it to disappear from stock before I hit Submit!

At this point, I'm thinking of waiting for 16k, but this is a pretty good deal.
Gorgeous!  Smash that Check Out button.  You won't regret it.  You'll be the talk of the neighborhood.

Got the tv hooked up last night.  Looks great, but I think I need to tweak with the settings even more.  

Watched Spidey for a bit and it was awesome

Is there a function in the NF or Prime to pop up what is available for 4k? 

Well one good bit of news on the LG TV:

Please note that due to certain circumstances, LG is substituting the LG PL5 portable speaker ($129 approximate retail value) with the LG PL7 portable speaker ($179 approximate retail value).

The promo said it only lasted as long as the PL5 did. But when they ran out, they bumped me to the PL7. Nice.

LOL.  I guess typing in UHD movies is all it took - thanks guys.  Seems like Prime has a little more selection for me, so I will probably start on those.  The Expanse showed up as being in 4k, so I watched an episode of that last night.  

I will say that it is a weird adjustment.  Not sure what it is 100%, but it's almost like it's so real looking it looks more fake?  

LOL.  I guess typing in UHD movies is all it took - thanks guys.  Seems like Prime has a little more selection for me, so I will probably start on those.  The Expanse showed up as being in 4k, so I watched an episode of that last night.  

I will say that it is a weird adjustment.  Not sure what it is 100%, but it's almost like it's so real looking it looks more fake?  
Does the TV have software to smooth Judder? Enabling that will give you the same effect.  

Netflix should auto adjust resolution based on speeds. It will not always say 4k or UHD in the title/box art like Prime.

Sounds like the "soap opera effect". There will be a way to make that go away although I'm not sure what setting, but Payne may have already covered it.

Have you googled the optimal settings for the TV yet? Usually it starts with being on cinema mode and then there are tweaks from there. The soap opera effect thing is motion interplotation or often called motion smoothing. You want it off. Some people like it for sports but it makes filmed TV and movies look fake. It actually adds frames between what’s actually there to smooth the motion out. 

I will have to look into that.  I looked at tge Rtings site for their recs.   The tv has stuff like game mode, night theater, etc.    I guess I didn't play with the jitter or anything 

This tv is making me feel old.  Might have to have one of you youngsters come over and program it for me.  :lol:

Anyway, wtf is the difference for the programs coming through in HDR10, and just regular? I was playing around with the settings and noticed that of the 3-4 things I tried, just The Expanse gave me the HDR theater option, otherwise it was options like day theater, sports, etc.  

Users who are viewing this thread