What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Apple CarPlay (1 Viewer)

AAABatteries

Footballguy
Have any of you had one of these units installed in a car that didn't come with it originally?  Worth it?  I'm considering getting this for my wife's GMC Acadia for Xmas and was curious if anybody here had done this.

Have any of you had one of these units installed in a car that didn't come with it originally?  Worth it?  I'm considering getting this for my wife's GMC Acadia for Xmas and was curious if anybody here had done this.
I bought a 2018 Camry that just came with their own Entune radio software. However, Toyota decided to offer a free installation of Apple CarPlay after the fact. I was an Android guy at the time but Entune was terrible and really the only thing I didn't like about the car. So, I got the installation and switched to an iPhone. My CarPlay was free, but now I can't imagine not having it. I'd almost certainly pay for it knowing what I know now if I had to. I use it mainly to stream Sirius/XM, Apple Music, podcats, Google Maps/Waze, and a few others.

I bought a 2018 Camry that just came with their own Entune radio software. However, Toyota decided to offer a free installation of Apple CarPlay after the fact. I was an Android guy at the time but Entune was terrible and really the only thing I didn't like about the car. So, I got the installation and switched to an iPhone. My CarPlay was free, but now I can't imagine not having it. I'd almost certainly pay for it knowing what I know now if I had to. I use it mainly to stream Sirius/XM, Apple Music, podcats, Google Maps/Waze, and a few others.
Android Auto is pretty good now also

I'm am android guy (car has botth) but i never use it in my car.   I don't like that you have to plug your phone in.   99% of the time, i just get in, click a button on the headset to switch to media since it defaults to sirius and it just continues playing the same playlist without me having to take my phone out of my pocket.   if that got switched over to bluetooth, i'd certainly use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm am android guy (car has botth) but i never use it in my car.   I don't like that you have to plug your phone in.   99% of the time, i just get in, click a button on the headset to switch to media since it defaults to sirius and it just continues playing the same playlist without me having to take my phone out of my pocket.   if that got switched over to bluetooth, i'd certainly use it.
I don't disagree.  I was speaking only for navigation. If I'm not using navigation I don't use  auto

I don't disagree.  I was speaking only for navigation. If I'm not using navigation I don't use  auto
So in that case, for the OP it would come down to how much you use navigation and whether turn by turn suffices.  That's another thing where I typically just start my route on my phone and just listen to what my lady tells me.   

It does sound like it's wireless enabled now for compatible headsets.   Not something I'd pay to upgrade but something to look forward to in my next new used car which probably won't be for awhile since I just got my latest new used car.   

I know the newer models of GM have android auto available as wireless now. Most of the 22s will have it available.

I bought a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee a couple months ago with CarPlay already integrated..  I don't use it.   :shrug:

Had it in a rental where you had to plug in and loved it.  Navigation, easy voice commands, calls, and music all right there.

Following this as we are looking to put one in our son's car with the bluetooth rather than plug in...to ensure he keeps his phone in his pocket and still has all of his navigation and music right there.  Ive also thought about having it installed in my car as I think I would use it.  Constantly streaming through a bluetooth transmitter when in the car for any longer drives now.

I bought a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee a couple months ago with CarPlay already integrated..  I don't use it.   :shrug:
Imagine CarPlay is an undiscovered moon and your iPhone is your telescope.

Discover, my friend. Be you. 

Had it in a rental where you had to plug in and loved it.  Navigation, easy voice commands, calls, and music all right there.

Following this as we are looking to put one in our son's car with the bluetooth rather than plug in...to ensure he keeps his phone in his pocket and still has all of his navigation and music right there.  Ive also thought about having it installed in my car as I think I would use it.  Constantly streaming through a bluetooth transmitter when in the car for any longer drives now.
Is that one of those transmitters where the transmitter connects to the car stereo via an unused radio station?

Is that one of those transmitters where the transmitter connects to the car stereo via an unused radio station?
The newer cars have to have built in wifi to use the services wirelessly. At least for Android and I think apple. I could be wrong about apple

The newer cars have to have built in wifi to use the services wirelessly. At least for Android and I think apple. I could be wrong about apple
Ah, so its b/c they operate over wifi instead of bluetooth?   That makes sense why I don't have the wireless capability.   I was mentioning the bluetooth transmitter to sho b/c I used to have one of those in my old car.   It did the job, but was annoying as well when traveling greater distances as you had to keep switching frequencies to avoid interference.  I was wondering if that's what he currently has as well.   Now having that bluetooth built into the headset was a game changer for me in my new car.    

Ah, so its b/c they operate over wifi instead of bluetooth?   That makes sense why I don't have the wireless capability.   I was mentioning the bluetooth transmitter to sho b/c I used to have one of those in my old car.   It did the job, but was annoying as well when traveling greater distances as you had to keep switching frequencies to avoid interference.  I was wondering if that's what he currently has as well.   Now having that bluetooth built into the headset was a game changer for me in my new car.    
Correct. At least for Android auto and I think carplay.  Bluetooth still obviously works for streaming/phone calls built in.  I have a transmitter for my old cars for streaming also 

Yeah…the downside of older cars but they work ok.

But the carplay radio installed wouldn’t have to change stations every so often .

Correct. Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth necessary to handle all of the data used by Android Auto or Car play, so it has to go over WiFi. 

This describes my experience exactly, down to the year and make of my car.

My only quibble is that I wish Apple let me customize the CarPlay interface a little more. For example, I like to use the split-screen where the map is on the left half of the screen and Now Playing is on the right. But if I have an upcoming appointment, it squeezes that in on the bottom right and the Now Playing module gets even smaller. As far as I can tell there's no way to change that. 

But overall, that's super minor. I absolutely love CarPlay, especially in comparison to the crappy Entune sytem.

Revisiting this.  But for different reasons than my previous posts.   Older car 2004 CRV finally met its end in an accident.

With the car market what it is and our daughter approaching driving, we settled on an older car that may eventually be our daughter’s.   

Has anyone put in an aftermarket carplay unit they like?   Id prefer wireless to just tell the kids their phone stays in their pocket or  in the little cubby of the car if a charge is needed.

Ive been looking at several units from the typical brand names and others.

Revisiting this.  But for different reasons than my previous posts.   Older car 2004 CRV finally met its end in an accident.

With the car market what it is and our daughter approaching driving, we settled on an older car that may eventually be our daughter’s.   

Has anyone put in an aftermarket carplay unit they like?   Id prefer wireless to just tell the kids their phone stays in their pocket or  in the little cubby of the car if a charge is needed.

Ive been looking at several units from the typical brand names and others.

I put a cheap Amazon double din and back up camera in my sons corolla and the touch screen broke in less than a year. I wish I had got a better head unit but since it was my first time putting one in I went cheap in case I screwed it up. I'll probably replace it soon with something better. Crutchfield has everything to install one with great instructions. I'll probably go with something from them next time.

I put a cheap Amazon double din and back up camera in my sons corolla and the touch screen broke in less than a year. I wish I had got a better head unit but since it was my first time putting one in I went cheap in case I screwed it up. I'll probably replace it soon with something better. Crutchfield has everything to install one with great instructions. I'll probably go with something from them next time.
Yeah I keep looking at some there and deciding if I can handle the install.   Im decently handy and have a friend that im sure could help.  Just want to make sure I don’t just get aggravated by it all then still need to pay someone if I can’t get the  steering wheel controls working right.

I have Apple CarPlay in my '20 Kia.  Love it.  Love it more now that I'm actually using it more.  The only times I was really using it was to 1) play Pandora if I wanted to rock out or 2) if I was going somewhere I didn't know the route (highly unlikely)

But I recently signed up for SiriusXM which I just play through my phone - and hence, through CarPlay.   So now if I'm going anywhere where I'm driving more than 10-15 minutes, I plug the phone into CarPlay to listen to SXM, and it's nice to see the in-progress map going as you drive, too.  Not only that but it alerts you if you have a text (not that I'm looking at them while driving, though).

Anyways... huge fan.

sho nuff said:
Yeah I keep looking at some there and deciding if I can handle the install.   Im decently handy and have a friend that im sure could help.  Just want to make sure I don’t just get aggravated by it all then still need to pay someone if I can’t get the  steering wheel controls working right.
Read the instruction manual on steering wheel controls before you purchase.  The aftermarket head unit I bought involved putting in a steering wheel relay that had to be manually programmed with 2 buttons and a single LED - it was like Morse code without seeing what you input.  I had to take it to someone to fix that part.  This was a few years ago, but car stereo technology moves very slowly. 

Im tempted by some of these larger units out of Asia (yeah mostly China unfortunately) that are basically just android tablets in a way.  The build kits for them to fit the dash are really well done.  All seem to offer decent sound and wireless car play.  The reviews on them seem ok too.  Just not sure im willing to risk it as feels like it would be near obsolete in 2 years 

Users who are viewing this thread