What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arcade 1up, Pacman, Galaga. (2 Viewers)

The appeal of Arcade1up units is the dedicated control panel and graphics. Even though some of the units have multiple games, the experience of playing the "other" games when the unit's control panel and graphics are not dedicated to it isn't good.

Best example of this is Defender. In order to have all the functions the game of Defender provides the player has to use the buttons from all three Rampage players the control panel is designed for. So not only are the buttons not labeled for Defender, the user has to reach all over the control panel for the right button of the Defender function they want. It's pretty much unplayable unless you play enough to memorize the button mappings and get to the point where you can move your hand to the right button without looking.

Another example is Missile Command is a horizontal monitor game, but Arcade1up has it on a unit with a vertical monitor (because the virtical game centipede has a trackball for Missile Command to use). So the Missile Command game is smushed horizontally with black space above and below vertically. 

Multicades have been around for years. If you want one unit that plays multiple games, then just get a multicade. Some play thousands of games. But here's the thing, when walking up to play one, you scroll to find a game you want to play. Sometimes you scroll, and scroll and scroll, and it's not long before the moment is lost. You felt like playing something, but nothing caught your fancy that THIS is the game you want to play right now. What a lot of Arcade1up owners, who had multicades in the past, have said is that the dedicated artwork of the machine makes them want to play THAT game. And that is the experience they had in the arcades, bowling alleys and pizza shops growing up. Not only do they start playing the game immediately. But they keep playing it, just like they did in their youth. The multicade they owned never made them feel that way, or produced that behavior from them. 

So while I've read a lot of "haven't bought one yet" people saying they want the units to have "more games", I ignore their opinions, as they aren't speaking from experience. Personally I'd prefer if they made each unit only play the game the unit is designed to be. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If we learned anything from all these remade retro game consoles is that the nostalgia factor doesn't overcome the suckiness of most of these games. There's a reason we don't make games like that anymore.

If we learned anything from all these remade retro game consoles is that the nostalgia factor doesn't overcome the suckiness of most of these games. There's a reason we don't make games like that anymore.
My original NES and the games disagree.  Still awesome to play (yes, even when you have to mess with the cartidges).

I'm with you for the most part, but there are still a lot of legit good games.  Other than pinball I've never been much into the arcade-style high score games like Asteroids, Space Invaders, Centipede, etc.

My original NES and the games disagree.  Still awesome to play (yes, even when you have to mess with the cartidges).
If you still have the original system and games then there's no additional cost to you and you don't have to wonder if it's going to be bundled with crappy games. There's actually a lot of charm in 8bit games as a lot of indie developers have adopted that style. But the Paystation Classic hasn't been selling, and for good reason.

It is all about when you played the games. I am a child of the 80s and grew up playing these and ended before ps1/xbox started to rule. Those weird controllers do nothing for me and a console game interface is my dream.

Tapper! Fun game. 
I’m pretty good at Tapper, the best at my local barcade! I’ve gone over a million multiple times, but then the score just resets to zero and it doesn’t count as a high score. There was a real top-10 battle going on for a while. When I first started going to the barcade, the entire top 10 was owned by “GOD” with a high score of 350k. First I took the bottom half of the top-10, then I got 380k. I came back to see he had gotten 450k, and I blew him away with 880k. It took months, but he eventually gets to 854k and then 918k. He probably thinks he accomplished something at this point, but I had already gotten 1.4 million. I can pretty much play Tapper endlessly now. I cross the million mark with 10 lives. It’s just about staying focused and wanting to continue to play past the two-hour mark. So I decided to show GOD who is the man by getting to 999800 and killing myself. Left him a little room to give him something to shoot for. I saw he came back and posted a lower score, so I put up 999825 and killed myself so he knows for sure that I’m just toying with him.

Careful - They end up becoming a nuisance.    Had a bunch of full sizers back in the day.  They lose their appeal after a bit.

I've got three arcades in my basement: an original Ms. Pacman that was modded out with the 64 game jamma board (before I bought it), a former Golden Tee/Silver Strike machine that I fixed up with all custom graphics running a MAME pc, and a completely custom made Milwaukee Brewers arcade with a raspberry pi and a gazillion games (we bring it to Opening Day every year... RBI Baseball tournaments on a Brewers arcade machine while tailgating at Opening Day is as great as it sounds). 

If you're interested in an arcade I would recommend gameroomsolutions.com. I've had really great luck with their customer service, and my brother built a machine from their cabinet kits that puts mine to shame. You can easily run a pre-loaded raspberry pi in it without knowing much about arcades or computers.

To Spock's point above, there is an allure to having the real arcade. I almost pulled the trigger on a sit down Pole Position a few months back, and if I ever find a working Tapper I'm all over it. But I will say that I'm glad I have more games on my Ms Pacman. And the interface of both the MAME and Pi make finding games pretty quick and easy. 

I'll also agree that many of the games are not as good as you remember them, and playing non-arcade games on a joystick isn't the best. But for me I just love that I have them, and there's something about turning them on with their bright marquees and the sound of the intro music/"insert coin" screen... it never gets old for me. 

burger time is also pretty awesome and so is mr do that little guy was just such a happy rapscallion it is hard not to root for him take that to the bank bromigos

I'm with you for the most part, but there are still a lot of legit good games.  Other than pinball I've never been much into the arcade-style high score games like Asteroids, Space Invaders, Centipede, etc.
I found that it was better to just load the 40 or 50 games that I thought I'd like onto the Pi rather than every game available.   Even though many old retro games quickly grow stale after a few plays, the idea of having a greatest hits of arcade, NES, Sega and Atari on one machine does provide something for everyone. 

There are also pre-fab arcade cabinet kits on Etsy that will be higher quality than Arcade 1UP.  The good news is that there are tons of options available nowadays from turnkey arcades to full DIY projects. 

Softballguy said:
I've got three arcades in my basement: an original Ms. Pacman that was modded out with the 64 game jamma board (before I bought it), a former Golden Tee/Silver Strike machine that I fixed up with all custom graphics running a MAME pc, and a completely custom made Milwaukee Brewers arcade with a raspberry pi and a gazillion games (we bring it to Opening Day every year... RBI Baseball tournaments on a Brewers arcade machine while tailgating at Opening Day is as great as it sounds). 

If you're interested in an arcade I would recommend gameroomsolutions.com. I've had really great luck with their customer service, and my brother built a machine from their cabinet kits that puts mine to shame. You can easily run a pre-loaded raspberry pi in it without knowing much about arcades or computers.

To Spock's point above, there is an allure to having the real arcade. I almost pulled the trigger on a sit down Pole Position a few months back, and if I ever find a working Tapper I'm all over it. But I will say that I'm glad I have more games on my Ms Pacman. And the interface of both the MAME and Pi make finding games pretty quick and easy. 

I'll also agree that many of the games are not as good as you remember them, and playing non-arcade games on a joystick isn't the best. But for me I just love that I have them, and there's something about turning them on with their bright marquees and the sound of the intro music/"insert coin" screen... it never gets old for me. 
Awesome!  I haven't worked on or changed mine in ~10 years, so I can't wait to check out your recommendations.

I am a huge Galaga fan and I saw the machine at Walmart. It is small and the riser that you need to buy with it, was almost as expensive as the device itself.  The one there was beat to heck from people playing it. The type of wear included the stickers wearing off and the buttons pretty mashed, so that leads me to believe it isn't quite that durable. 

I would rather build a full on MAME machine and have all the games. My BIL built his for under $750 and it has over 1500 games including Space Ace and Dragons Lair (which are tough to emulate). Finding a case is the hard part, because everyone goes after these things when they become available.  
I was just thinking, for the price of 3 or four of these games you could have all the games. I've never built one, but know someone local who sells them for $1200. I was trying to get him to trade me one for a kamado grill. He wants gas. So wrong on so many levels. 

Softballguy said:

Man, I've seen videos of those virtual pinball cabinets.  The sell kits in your link above.  Man would I love to have one of those.

Just got my arcade from @Chemical X.

Top notch machine.  Great deal.  Moving it was rough but we got it in out of X's upstairs and into mine without any major damage plus a 20 mile drive.  

Works great, working on beating all the X family high scores.  Thanks X!
so, i upsold cav 2 of my cars too.....think he asked if i accept credit cards.

Just got my arcade from @Chemical X.

Top notch machine.  Great deal.  Moving it was rough but we got it in out of X's upstairs and into mine without any major damage plus a 20 mile drive.  

Works great, working on beating all the X family high scores.  Thanks X!
I would love to see some pics.  Enjoy!

I did the same thing, but for a pinball machine. Totally fun. 
Where are you guys getting MAME Roms for these things?  That always seems to be the rub on building your own.  I've been considering it, but can't get any I actually find to work on my Raspberry Pi right now as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread