What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are Aliens Visiting Us? (3 Viewers)

The universe is 13.8 billion years old
This is no longer the rock solid theory we all thought. New studies suggest it‘s roughly twice that.
The 13.8 number is still pretty solid. Our model that places the age at this value is pretty strongly backed by a variety of measurement sources and has a lot fewer holes than the new ideas that have been put forth by Rajendra Gupta. I posted in the Physics and Astronomy thread about the Gupta study you are referring to when it hit, but the more I have read on it, the less plausible it seems. Here is a short counterpoint read on it. And another.

Last edited:
I would be interested in their method to travel a few light years, let alone 10's/100's/1000's/...light years, to reach our solar system.
50 years ago people were wondering how you could magically talk to people anywhere in the world remotely.
Cmon now, you know technology just keeps going and going and.........

I would be interested in their method to travel a few light years, let alone 10's/100's/1000's/...light years, to reach our solar system.
50 years ago people were wondering how you could magically talk to people anywhere in the world remotely.
Physics and the speed of light are not technologies.

This is why I think people who believe these camera blobs are aliens just don't have any imagination.

I personally think it's a cruel joke played on today's human race by Earth's dogs living far into the future. Just think how much dogs have progressed in the last x years since the first multicellular organism existed. Sure, right now they still get fooled by that human guy who throws the tennis ball a couple times and then fakes the throw and laughs and laughs when the dog runs after nothing. But as they progress, the dogs start plotting their revenge on those guys. At some point, a disease wipes out humans while the dogs are left unharmed. While they now control the world, they feel robbed of the one thing they had been waiting so patiently for. All the new technology they created - far surpassing that of the humans that were left in the dust - did them no good until Chico Marx, the namesake of his wire terrier ancestor, finally created his time machine. And now they had their chance, using their other technology to fool humans into thinking they're seeing something they are not, always making sure those photos (such primitive technology!) are just blurry enough to keep a group of humans chasing after something that isn't there.
And they are laughing.

I didn't say it was not possible...I am interested in how it is possible.

Last edited:
The universe is 13.8 billion years old and it took another 4 billion or so years for our planets to form. It then took almost 4 billion years from the first single cell organism to evolve into humans. That's a third of the age of the entire universe not even accounting for the time it takes planets to form AND things had to go incredibly lucky during that 4 billion years to not wipe us out and make everything start over again.

The universe is certainly big enough for those conditions to be replicated, but I think the theory that we are the first ones or one of the few first ones in the universe is likely. We're the Sci-Fi trope ancient race of lifeforms that will end up leaving our tech all over the galaxy for later civilizations to find and fight over.

Here are some depressing numbers as far as life out there elsewhere...

TL;DR: From the starting point when Earth became habitable to life, even with life on Earth starting fairly soon after that, it still took 4.4 billion years for the forces of Evolution to do their thing to make intelligent life. Most of the 4.4bln years was single-cell organisms blindly bumping into each other, only in the last billion years or so did they even organize into more complex formations. On the downside, it'll only be another 900 million years until the Earth becomes uninhabitable due to solar activity. The window for complex, intelligent life is very small and we appear to be rather lucky in getting life to start rather soon after oceans formed on this planet.

Technology uses those things.
Perhaps technology can improve on the speed of light.
Kinda like, ya know, a cell phone improved on the time it takes sound to reach someone.

If the speed of sound doesn't change, why can I instantly talk to someone in China using a phone?

The speed of something is relative anyway. Relative to us right now, there are things in the universe moving faster than the speed of light.

Kinda like, ya know, a cell phone improved on the time it takes sound to reach someone.

If the speed of sound doesn't change, why can I instantly talk to someone in China using a phone?

The speed of something is relative anyway. Relative to us right now, there are things in the universe moving faster than the speed of light.
WAT?

One of the fundamental premises of relativity (a well established theory albeit incomplete) is that ALL observers, regardless of reference frame, will measure the speed of light to be exactly the same. It is measured to be a constant value. In truth, the "speed of light" is not really about light at all. It more appropriately could be called the speed of causality. Only massless things are capable of being measured at this speed and light is one of those things. This is not something that is based in technology. It is the very nature of spacetime and relativistic observation that requires this speed limit to exist. Objects with mass can not attain this speed, again regardless of who is measuring.

With regard to your comment about sound, you can talk to someone in China nearly instantaneously because the information is transmitted via microwaves (effectively the same thing as light but outside the range our eyes can see) which travel at the speed of light, as do all forms of electromagnetic radiation. Your phone is the machine that converts the information into sound waves that your ears detect.

WAT?

One of the fundamental premises of relativity (a well established theory albeit incomplete) is that ALL observers, regardless of reference frame, will measure the speed of light to be exactly the same. It is measured to be a constant value. In truth, the "speed of light" is not really about light at all. It more appropriately could be called the speed of causality. Only massless things are capable of being measured at this speed and light is one of those things. This is not something that is based in technology. It is the very nature of spacetime and relativistic observation that requires this speed limit to exist. Objects with mass can not attain this speed, again regardless of who is measuring.

With regard to your comment about sound, you can talk to someone in China nearly instantaneously because the information is transmitted via microwaves (effectively the same thing as light but outside the range our eyes can see) which travel at the speed of light, as do all forms of electromagnetic radiation. Your phone is the machine that converts the information into sound waves that your ears detect.
Thanks for all that.
However, as I said, relative to us right now, there are things in the universe moving faster than the speed of light, for example, as the earth moves away from the sun, the light going the opposite direction is moving at the speed of light plus whatever speed we are moving away from it.

No, we probably don't make the speed of light itself faster. However, sort of like the microwaves of the phone, perhaps there is a technology that will allow things to travel faster than that relative to us.

WAT?

Thanks for all that.
However, as I said, relative to us right now, there are things in the universe moving faster than the speed of light, for example, as the earth moves away from the sun, the light going the opposite direction is moving at the speed of light plus whatever speed we are moving away from it.

No, we probably don't make the speed of light itself faster. However, sort of like the microwaves of the phone, perhaps there is a technology that will allow things to travel faster than that relative to us.
I do not know if you are just trolling at this point or not, but this statement is utterly FALSE and contradictory to any observational, theoretical and experimental evidence in existence.

Are you confusing this with the idea that space itself is capable of expanding at a rate faster than light? That is a different notion than the speed of anything traveling through space.

ETA...I suppose I should add this...light that is moving away from you is never detectable by you and thus cannot be measured by you.

Last edited:

WAT?

Thanks for all that.

I do not know if you are just trolling at this point or not, but this statement is utterly FALSE and contradictory to any observational, theoretical and experimental evidence in existence.

Are you confusing this with the idea that space itself is capable of expanding at a rate faster than light? That is a different notion than the speed of anything traveling through space.

ETA...I suppose I should add this...light that is moving away from you is never detectable by you and thus cannot be measured by you.
Why does it matter if we can measure it? If it's happening, it's happening.

WAT?

Thanks for all that.

Why does it matter if we can measure it? If it's happening, it's happening.
I am going to leave this video here. It goes a little beyond just the question of the speed of light by exploring the bigger idea of special relativity, but the basic idea of the speed of light being constant for all observers is covered along the way in a fairly simple and conceptual manner. I hope it sheds some light on this topic.

See what I did there? ;)

Amazon will pay you 1 million dollars if you catch an alien on your Ring doorbell

The scheme is billed as Ring’s Million Dollar Search for Extraterrestrials. Entrants are encouraged to keep their eyes peeled for any sign of alien life recorded by their Ring doorbell cameras. If a little green being walks into the camera’s purview, then the winner of the best “scientific evidence” will receive $1 million with meteorologist and astrobiologist Jacob Haqq Misrad serving as a judge for the contest. Those who live outside alien country can still enter to win a $500 Amazon gift card by filming their own alien Ring footage using makeup, props, and costumes but let’s face it, that’s the coward’s way out. Submissions are being accepted until November 3.

Heck yes. I am hoping someone stages a little green man stealing an Amazon package.

Interesting convo on the speed of light. What about quantum entanglement? That is, in effect, instantaneous “communication” at faster than the speed of light. Maybe the information isn’t technically traveling, but it points out the possibility of billions of entangled particles transmitting enough information to, say, teleport a person or thing, or at least communicate the instructions to build a person or thing. I’ve heard Brian Green say that this technically possible.

Anything's possible...

Rocky beat Apollo, Clubber & Drago

Tom Cruise went Hyper Sonic

Heck, even ET flew home on a tiny bicycle

Last edited:

Recorded in 2018 over Iraq. Allegedly this thing went into the water, stayed underwater for 17 minutes then came out of the water and shot off at a 45 degree angle.

Jellyfish shaped object with tentacle type appendages and what appears to be scales/armor. Only visible on thermal imaging (not visible with night vision equipment). And appears to CHANGE heat signature during one section of the film.

Recorded in 2018 over Iraq. Allegedly this thing went into the water, stayed underwater for 17 minutes then came out of the water and shot off at a 45 degree angle.

Jellyfish shaped object with tentacle type appendages and what appears to be scales/armor. Only visible on thermal imaging (not visible with night vision equipment). And appears to CHANGE heat signature during one section of the film.
Whoa

There does seem to be a water component to several of these sightings/events. One of the most compelling reported sightings i've seen is the 1994 event over Michigan. Over 300 people reported it, cops saw them and they were tracked on radar by the National Weather service. At some point these things were tracked on radar just hovering over Lake Michigan and a pair of eye witnesses on the beach reported a column of water being pulled up by one. Netflix has "Unsolved Mysteries" that has a good retelling of the event. A lot of recorded evidence and eyewitness accounts.

There have been a few of these "jellyfish" sightings. Here is a video of a cruise ship captain describing the same thing. Her TikTok video is in the first comment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frmOlm8njCQ

Could even be a deflated mylar balloon, although the change of direction once it came in contact with the dogs is interesting.

Creepy and weird but I don't think it is an alien

so you think its..... ?

so you think its..... ?
drone

so you think its..... ?
drone
ok, but it looks identical to the thing in the film and the other film where it went into the ocean then out several minutes later. We have drones that can do that and also change heat signature?

Could even be a deflated mylar balloon, although the change of direction once it came in contact with the dogs is interesting.
Looks like a mylar balloon to me.

Looks like a mylar balloon to me.
That's just what they want you to think, man
I was doom scrolling Reddit last night and they had a military drone operator give his opinion. He said mylar balloon, seen 100's of times, all over the place, they're everywhere, this is nothing, just a spent balloon.

So, yea, for sure, aliens.
Yet our own government has labeled it a UAP? So, yea, for sure, a ballon.

Unacknowledged is kinda old. From 2017, so many have probably already seen it. I hadn't see it until recently and thought it was really good. A lot of stuff in there I had seen before, but thought it was put together well and did a good job of sticking to more "credible" events, witnesses and information than other documentaries I've seen on the subject. There still was some out there conspiracy stuff, like JFK was killed cuz he was digging into UFO projects, and Carl Sagan was a paid plant to discredit UFOs, etc. But overall, thought it had some interesting, credible people talking about what they know.

There have been a lot of stories about UFOs sightings near nuclear facilities, and this movie documents some of those. What was interesting to me was the timeline of Hiroshima (1945) and the increase of sightings and events related to nuclear technology from that point on. One interviewee hypothesized if these are interdimensional beings that a huge nuclear event like Hiroshima could do damage to multiple dimensions as well and these beings might be motivated to keep that from happening.

Users who are viewing this thread