What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are you mewing? Proper tongue posture (1 Viewer)

Caveman33

Footballguy
Mewing, named after Dr. Mew, centers around the idea that improper tongue posture leads to mouth breathing, weak jawline, sleep apnea, etc. By training their tongue to rest at the roof of their mouth, many people, even fully matured adults, claim to have achieved significant improvement in all these areas. No scientific studies have verified the results. I'm a life long mouth breather with a weak jawline. Not sure about sleep apnea but I do seem to be chronically tired during the day. At various times over the years, I've tried to breathe through my nose and may have had some success during the day but inevitably failed at night. Sometimes I would tape my mouth shut but it rarely held through the night and I abandoned that practice when I suspected it was causing pimples around my mouth.

Is anyone mewing? Success stories?

I listen to Tony Kormheisers podcast and his son, Michael, mentioned that he did the tape thing at night. Said he was terrified he was going to die in his sleep.

There was also a guy on Rogan who had a book about breathing and the importance of breathing using only your nose. That you can retrain yourself and the results are supposed to be amazing for people.

Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art

What does "weak jawline" mean in this context?

Not sure that really answers your question buy thought it was interesting WebMD had an article on it. Synopsis is talk to your dentist or orthodontist before doing this.

Not sure that really answers your question buy thought it was interesting WebMD had an article on it. Synopsis is talk to your dentist or orthodontist before doing this.

• Close your lips.
  • Move your jaw so that your front bottom teeth are just behind your front upper teeth.
  • Cover the roof of your mouth with your tongue.
  • Place the tip of your tongue right behind your front teeth without touching.
Does this seem unnatural for people? It’s very close to what I normally do.

• Close your lips.
  • Move your jaw so that your front bottom teeth are just behind your front upper teeth.

Same here - the instructions felt natural and is what I do but made me very aware of it for about 10 minutes until my mind was distracted by something else. I got to stay out of this thread!

Wait some people rest their tongue at the bottom of their mouth? Didn’t know that
Google estimates that 10-25% of children are mouthbreathers. The number of adults is likely higher as more pick up the habit. It usually develops when people struggle to draw enough air through their nose. Deviated septum, allergies, dried up boogers, there could be many reasons. I had orthodontics for 10 years as a kid. I frequently got canker sores from all the various equipment. With an expander filling up the roof of my mouth, it probably became natural to rest my tongue behind my bottom teeth.

• Close your lips.
I believe our tongue position influences our neck muscles in different ways and this could be the connection to the jawline. A similar, interesting concept is how we have deteriorated as a species. The skulls of our ancestors indicate that nearly all of them had straight teeth and chiseled jaws. I believe it relates to our diet becoming softer and easier to chew. We've devolved into soft-bellied, hideous desk jockeys.

Simply correcting tongue posture and breathing through the nose should not cause any dental issues. Some people engage in hard mewing, where they apply upward pressure with their tongue and there are even balls that they jawzrsize with. I think those practices can lead to problems like TMJ.

I listen to Tony Kormheisers podcast and his son, Michael, mentioned that he did the tape thing at night. Said he was terrified he was going to die in his sleep.

There was also a guy on Rogan who had a book about breathing and the importance of breathing using only your nose. That you can retrain yourself and the results are supposed to be amazing for people.

Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art
The link didn't work for me. I may try taping again. I used to try to only apply the tape to my lips, in order to minimize pimples on the skin, but this usually lead to my mouth breaking free. I often doze off in a seated position in class and when I wake up, my mouth is closed. So sleeping position matters as well. The list of maladies associated with mouth breathing is quite extensive. I should try to fix this.

Sometimes I would tape my mouth shut but it rarely held through the night and I abandoned that practice when I suspected it was causing pimples around my mouth.

Jeez, bro. Just get a CPAP.
That is a decent option for many people. I don't like the idea of becoming reliant upon an unnatural, outside influence. I would also worry about potentially breathing in moldy air. I'm somewhat of a vagabond who fits all of his belongings into two bags so it wouldn't work for me at this time.

Mewing sounds like a load of hooey to me. And messing around with that sort of thing can lead to muscle issues in the jaw.

Consult a competent dentist.

Sometimes I would tape my mouth shut but it rarely held through the night and I abandoned that practice when I suspected it was causing pimples around my mouth.

Jeez, bro. Just get a CPAP.
That is a decent option for many people. I don't like the idea of becoming reliant upon an unnatural, outside influence. I would also worry about potentially breathing in moldy air. I'm somewhat of a vagabond who fits all of his belongings into two bags so it wouldn't work for me at this time.

You don't like the idea of becoming reliant upon an unnatural, outside influence, like...tape?

Users who are viewing this thread