What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arian Foster (1 Viewer)

Ariakis

Footballguy
In Weeks 16/17 against playoff teams starting their starters, Foster had 2 VERY strong games. He plays for an explosive offense that should only get better. Even with Slaton back next season are we seeing the next Rudi Johnson or Fast Willie Parker taken off of the waiver wire and moving into RB1/RB2 dynasty territory?

19-97-1 for a 5.1 average against the Dolphins

20-119-2 for a 5.95 average against the Patriots

Mix in the fact he seems to be a solid receiving threat and I'm loving having him in the dynasty leagus I snagged him in. You would think with his late season success and Slaton moving back into his original role that the team could focus on other needs and not draft an early RB.

I was going to post a thread similar to this. I drafted A Foster at the end of our rookie dynasty draft last year. Took him as a long shot flyer and hoping this is a sign of things to come. I'm still not sold that he will be the Texans' primary RB next year but he's shown a lot of promise these last couple of weeks. Hoping he's shown enough that the Texans decide against looking for another RB next year.

I kept him in 2 dynasty leagues even though the experts say he has no dynasty value.

Dynasty Implications - Week 16 Posted 12/22 by Jeff Tefertiller,Arian Foster got the start this week for the Houston Texans but was benched after fumbling on the team's initial drive of the game. Ryan Moats saw most of the touches after the first series. There is only one thing to glean from this game (and the last few). It is that the Texans do not have faith in any of their backs outside of Steve Slaton and will add a ball carrier in the offseason. Who this is will be determined by the team's view of Slaton's role. There are other dynasty prospects in better situations that are worth rostering. Do not waste the space on Foster, Moats, or Chris Brown.
I wonder how many FBG dynasty owners cut bait on Foster that week? Glad I didn't.

I think you can count on the Texans either drafting or going FA for a RB for next season.

I don't think Foster will be the guy, security problems with the ball will be an issue for him.

In Weeks 16/17 against playoff teams starting their starters
Slow down there, sparky. The Patriots rested 2/3 of their defensive line today, which included their Pro Bowl starting Nose Tackle who is the principle run stuffer. I'm not saying that Foster wasn't impressive but the Pats were most certainly not "starting their starters" in terms of their best run-stopping lineup.

Starters or not, watching Foster push the pile on those last two running plays of the game winning drive was impressive.

I managed to re-add him in 7 of 11 dynasty leagues, after owning him once then impatiently dropping him in most of the leagues. :excited:

Word today is that Kubiak will return, so that's huge for Foster's chances of starting. Slaton will be the CoP and 3rd down guy he was drafted to be, and it looks now, after Foster's successful audition, like he may have the inside track on the early down job. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I managed to re-add him in 7 of 11 dynasty leagues, after owning him once then impatiently dropping him in most of the leagues. :excited:

Word today is that Kubiak will return, so that's huge for Foster's chances of starting. Slaton will be the CoP and 3rd down guy he was drafted to be, and it looks now, after Foster's successful audition, like he may have the inside track on the early down job. Fingers crossed.
assume much? why couldn't foster beat out slaton? or moats? why did it take until week 16 for him to show up? (and, venting, why did he have to pilfer 2 Matt Schaub TD passes I really could have used at the end of the game?) i think there's more of a chance of either slaton or a FA being the starter than foster. i would put it at about 12 percent chance of foster getting the job out of the game in 2009.

I managed to re-add him in 7 of 11 dynasty leagues, after owning him once then impatiently dropping him in most of the leagues. :mellow:

assume much? why couldn't foster beat out slaton? or moats? why did it take until week 16 for him to show up? (and, venting, why did he have to pilfer 2 Matt Schaub TD passes I really could have used at the end of the game?) i think there's more of a chance of either slaton or a FA being the starter than foster. i would put it at about 12 percent chance of foster getting the job out of the game in 2009.
Kubiak has said that Slaton will not be the primary starter. He's not best suited for a heavy workload. I've read that more than once, so I'm not assuming that.It's been made clear by the coaching staff that these last couple games were an audition for next year for Foster. They will bring in someone via FA or the draft, but maybe now they will look to Foster as an option rather than using a high draft pick. He has nothing locked up, but he's entered the equation.

(I edited this post substantially since my annoyance-driven original response. :) )

I managed to re-add him in 7 of 11 dynasty leagues, after owning him once then impatiently dropping him in most of the leagues. :mellow:

Coaches are sometimes slow to change. Look at Charles, Forsett, and Fred Jackson among others. Heck, Miles Austin only got his shot to start due to injury.

I think you can count on the Texans either drafting or going FA for a RB for next season.I don't think Foster will be the guy, security problems with the ball will be an issue for him.
Ball security can be taught. Look at Tiki Barber early in his career. Not saying that Foster is Barber, but it can be done. The question is, can he be a consistent player? He can at least catch the ball a little and must have some power if he's moving the pile. Never having seen him play, I can only go by reports on here and stats which show he's been somewhat competitive when given a full opportunity.

I never saw much from Foster in college that told me he would be a good NFL running back. Maybe a serviceable guy, but not a go-to-guy. I am not so bullish on him and think a lot of thought has to be given to the benefit of a guy late in the year who is young and very fresh. He is running on defenses who have put on a lot of mileage over the last few months and is coming in healthy and rested. I am not sold he can do this from day 1 and keep up this level of productivity.

I managed to re-add him in 7 of 11 dynasty leagues, after owning him once then impatiently dropping him in most of the leagues. :unsure:

Horrible post. Why didn't Schaub beat out Vick in Atlanta?

Houston isn't exactly known for it's stability at RB - especially year to year. I would rather not be the one to spend an early-to-mid round draft pick on a gamble.

Dynasty wise, these are the types of gambles that pay off huge, a la Ryan Grant a few years back. I'm on the Foster bandwagon.

Dynasty wise, these are the types of gambles that pay off huge, a la Ryan Grant a few years back. I'm on the Foster bandwagon.
That's the way I look at it. I spent my 6th round pick in my dynasty league on Arian Foster. If he doesn't pan out it's not like I could have gotten a known commodity at that point. Tons of upside for not a lot of risk.

Houston isn't exactly known for it's stability at RB - especially year to year. I would rather not be the one to spend an early-to-mid round draft pick on a gamble.
very ;) No doubt their be a new flavor at RB in Houston next week.

metoo said:
editor47 said:
Couch Potato said:
I managed to re-add him in 7 of 11 dynasty leagues, after owning him once then impatiently dropping him in most of the leagues. :thumbup:

you really need me to explain the difference here to you?as for looking at what kubiak has said about foster, i went back at rotoworld through the beginning of december and saw NOTHING about 2010 and foster's future. feel free to provide a link to something different. not above admitting i'm wrong.

I was pretty optimistic about Foster after watching him get some action at the end of last season, and play very well. The Texan's pick of Ben Tate has wiped out most of that enthusiasm. I havent seen much of Tate, but he sounds like a similar runner to Foster, which is a terrible indicator for Foster's future.

How are people feeling about his value moving forward? He seems like a borderline drop to me right now based on situation, but my eyes told me differently last year...granted only for a couple of games.

I traded Slaton the the team with the top pick keeping Foster. I pick 9th hopefully Tate will be available.

In a non PPR Tate shouldn't last till 9th. I wouldn't cut Foster just yet though. Very disappointing as my flier dynasty pickup went from gold to bronze but Tate will have to earn his PT I'd think.

In a non PPR Tate shouldn't last till 9th. I wouldn't cut Foster just yet though. Very disappointing as my flier dynasty pickup went from gold to bronze but Tate will have to earn his PT I'd think.
Doubt I'll cut him there should be room on DTS. The team loved Foster last year and that may be worth something -see TJ vs Benson.

I dont see how anyone can say Tate is that much better than Foster. Fosters only problem is fumbles, if he can be cured of that he will be the guy to own.

I dont see how anyone can say Tate is that much better than Foster. Fosters only problem is fumbles, if he can be cured of that he will be the guy to own.
The problem is that Houston thinks he's better. However, Tate seems to have had the same problem as Foster:
Protects the ball with both hands in traffic, but has had some issues with fumbles over his career.

The problem is that Houston thinks he's better. However, Tate seems to have had the same problem as Foster:
Protects the ball with both hands in traffic, but has had some issues with fumbles over his career.
not sure how you can say that you know Houston likes Tate better with any level of certainty at this point.

not sure how you can say that you know Houston likes Tate better with any level of certainty at this point.
I cant see how Houston could think anything else after trading up in the 2nd round to take Tate. They may like Foster but if they were willing to be aggresive in the draft to target a RB with a 2nd pick that tells me they view Tate as an upgrade.I own Foster in a ton of leagues so it would be nice if im wrong. I dont think they will be announcing Tate as the feature RB any time soon, but im guessing they are pulling for him to beat out the competition

I live in Auburn and watched Tate his whole career. Savvy fooball people have been point out out how good Tate was since his freshman season. The odd flux of coaches and insane changes in offense and coordinators have masked his talent. Last year Auburns new coach/coordinator had a decent scheme in place that again allowed Tate to show off his pure football skills. To put it into simple words, Ben Tate is a football player. He extremely tough. Incredibly strong (tied for 1st at combine on bench press), deceptively fast (3rd fastest 40 time only behind Spiller and Best), tremendous lower body power - again look at his combine stats for vertical and broad jump.I expect he will do a lot when given the chance. The only problem I see will be Kubiak. He doesn't like one person to handle the load. While Tate is a fine receiver, I suspect he won't really be used as such.

Also, I don't seem to recall Tate having a fumble problem. If he did, it was not bad enough to be obvious to the fans.

I managed to re-add him in 7 of 11 dynasty leagues, after owning him once then impatiently dropping him in most of the leagues. :goodposting:

you really need me to explain the difference here to you?as for looking at what kubiak has said about foster, i went back at rotoworld through the beginning of december and saw NOTHING about 2010 and foster's future. feel free to provide a link to something different. not above admitting i'm wrong.
I think it's quite simple, both teams had more invested in someone else. They will give the guy with the larger salary more of an chance. What does what I posted have to do with you last paragraph? Never mind, you don't know how to respond to the correct post.

I cant see how Houston could think anything else after trading up in the 2nd round to take Tate. They may like Foster but if they were willing to be aggresive in the draft to target a RB with a 2nd pick that tells me they view Tate as an upgrade.I own Foster in a ton of leagues so it would be nice if im wrong. I dont think they will be announcing Tate as the feature RB any time soon, but im guessing they are pulling for him to beat out the competition
I dunno. I think it's possible that they think they need more than 1 back (they are probably right). They traded up because depth at RB is a big need for them. I think Kubiak is gonna play whoever proves to be the better back. Hopefully, the selection of Tate will light a fire under his ###. We aren't talking about a 1st round RB. As a Foster owner, aren't you happy that it wasn't Mathews? I know I am...

I dunno. I think it's possible that they think they need more than 1 back (they are probably right). They traded up because depth at RB is a big need for them. I think Kubiak is gonna play whoever proves to be the better back. Hopefully, the selection of Tate will light a fire under his ###. We aren't talking about a 1st round RB. As a Foster owner, aren't you happy that it wasn't Mathews? I know I am...
I couldn't agree more. When San Diego moved up for Matthews I did a little jig. Question is, as a Foster owner, do you try and draft Tate as a handcyff or vice versa or are there better options than Tate? Opinions seem very mixed.

I have room to keep Foster on my dynasty and I will because I don't want to get caught up assuming anything. It certainly APPEARS that Tate is in a good position, but lots could happen:

-Injury could push Foster right back up.

-Tate could have ball security issues (not aware that he does now) and we all know that is DOOM to Kubiak's players.

In short, its just too early and we saw that Foster could do the job so i will hold him and, at the least, try to put him and Tate together on a fantasy team (either trading to or for). I think both will have roles that are serviceable in FF and Slayton may be the odd guy out.

Foster being undrafted and Tate being a second rounder (in a deeper draft than 2009) says that the NFL feels Tate is better. Will it play out that way?, not necessarily but I do think Tate's skill set fits Houston's scheme better.

I have room to keep Foster on my dynasty and I will because I don't want to get caught up assuming anything. It certainly APPEARS that Tate is in a good position, but lots could happen:

-Tate could have ball security issues (not aware that he does now) and we all know that is DOOM to Kubiak's players.

In short, its just too early and we saw that Foster could do the job so I will hold him and, at the least, try to put him and Tate together on a fantasy team (either trading to or for). I think both will have roles that are serviceable in FF and Slaton may be the odd guy out.
Even being Slaton owner I find this laughable. People are selling this guy so short right now it is becoming comical.

Slaton has big time NFL skills. In fact he has proven so over his first 2 seasons. Did he put the ball on the gorund last year? Yes....but after hearing of his pinched nerve in his right shoulder I can now understand why he may have lost more fumbles than normal. Also add in the fact that Houstons line was g-d aweful at run blocking last season and you have what looked like a sub par season. But before he went on IR....Slaton was running as a top 12 PPR back. Was he impressive last year? Not all the time. But he showed in quite a few games that he can ball and take it to the house on any play. He is a great pass catcher and has shown he can handle 17-20 carries a game. I think he can win the job outright....but based on what I am reading they drafted Tate in the hopes he can be the lead back....but to say Foster will beat out Slaton is pure comedy...I wathced Foster play. He is no Steve Slaton.

I own Foster in my dynasty league and am drafting at 1.01. Obviously I won't be drafting Tate and he won't be there in round 2. Whoever chooses Tate in round 1, I may try to trade Foster to them for a draft pick. I don't want to give him away though, just have to try and decide what kind of pick he is worth.

In short, its just too early and we saw that Foster could do the job so I will hold him and, at the least, try to put him and Tate together on a fantasy team (either trading to or for). I think both will have roles that are serviceable in FF and Slaton may be the odd guy out.
Even being Slaton owner I find this laughable. People are selling this guy so short right now it is becoming comical.

Slaton has big time NFL skills. In fact he has proven so over his first 2 seasons. Did he put the ball on the gorund last year? Yes....but after hearing of his pinched nerve in his right shoulder I can now understand why he may have lost more fumbles than normal. Also add in the fact that Houstons line was g-d aweful at run blocking last season and you have what looked like a sub par season. But before he went on IR....Slaton was running as a top 12 PPR back. Was he impressive last year? Not all the time. But he showed in quite a few games that he can ball and take it to the house on any play. He is a great pass catcher and has shown he can handle 17-20 carries a game. I think he can win the job outright....but based on what I am reading they drafted Tate in the hopes he can be the lead back....but to say Foster will beat out Slaton is pure comedy...I wathced Foster play. He is no Steve Slaton.
Don't confuse fantasy production with on the field play. There is a reason Houston traded up in the second round Slaton was terrible last year. Period. He was the worst running back on the team.to get a rb. He averaged 3.3 yards per carry on 131 carries and had only 3 touchdowns. To go with those awesome stats, he averaged a fumble every 25 touches (carries + receptions).

Ryan Moats averaged 3.9 ypc and had 4tds.

Chris Brown averaged 3.4 ypc and had 3tds

Foster averaged 4.8 ypc and scored 3 td's. While he only had 54 carries, he carried the load in the final 2 games (both wins) while the team was fighting for a playoff spot. In both of those games, (where he had 19 and 20 carries respectively) he averaged over 5 ypc and scored at least 1 TD.

To ignore the possibility that he is a threat to Slaton seems a bit foolish.

Todem said:
Shutout said:

They traded up to grab a RB in the 2nd round. Now if that's not the opposite of a ringing endorsement of any of their current RBs, I don't know what is. And Slaton played poorly last year overall.

Todem said:
Shutout said:

They traded up to grab a RB in the 2nd round. Now if that's not the opposite of a ringing endorsement of any of their current RBs, I don't know what is. And Slaton played poorly last year overall.
I agree.....Tate is the front runner and will be given the chance to be the lead guy....I just don't see them cutting Slaton (if 100% healthy with no issues which I hear there are none) and keeping Foster over him. I can assure you if Slaton were cut he would scooped up within a day or 2. As bad as he may have looked last season...2008 was no fluke. He has the goods.

Todem said:
Shutout said:

I agree.....Tate is the front runner and will be given the chance to be the lead guy....I just don't see them cutting Slaton (if 100% healthy with no issues which I hear there are none) and keeping Foster over him. I can assure you if Slaton were cut he would scooped up within a day or 2. As bad as he may have looked last season...2008 was no fluke. He has the goods.
I agree here - if Slaton's healthy he will definitely be with the team. He is a much better compliment to Tate than Foster. I think Slaton's value for the most part moving forward will be as the lesser part of a RBBC, but he'll still be relevant.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
I could easily see this being a Tate/Slaton committee with Foster being odd man out and replaced easily.
My thinking as well
Foster not getting drafted had more to do with him being on a terrible Tennessee team with a coach on the way out. He was thought to be an easy second round pick his jr year and he decided to stay for his sr year in hopes of becoming UT's all time leading rusher....hindsight he shoulda left early. I imagine that the Texans might have seen a big drop off after Tate on their board and didn't want to get left with their pants down. I think all three running backs have their own skillset and it will be impossible to figure out who the best one to own will be untill the season starts to play out. I however didn't see anything out of Foster last year that made me think he couldn't handle the job.

From Rotoworld:

Coach Gary Kubiak has been impressed by Arian Foster in OTAs this week.

"(He) went from first year to second year a big jump, just (from) watching him practice," said Kubiak. Foster is taking advantage of rookie Ben Tate's (hamstring) absence. He showed enough late last season to believe he has at least a puncher's chance of starting in Week 1.

I am definitely holding onto this guy. Until Ben Tate or Steve Slaton get onto the field, he really has no competition for carries other than Ryan Moats. Tate is a 2nd tier rookie with hamstring issues already, and Slaton may never be the same again after a pretty awful injury. Foster seems like a great buy-low right now, and someone to target with a late round pick and high upside in all formats IMO.

Slatons neck is held together with screws. Who knows if he'll even play again.

Arian Foster is one of my sleeper picks on the year. I could see an 1100 yd, 10 TD season for literally pennies on what you would pay for anyone else.

I could easily see this being a Tate/Slaton committee with Foster being odd man out and replaced easily.
My thinking as well
Foster not getting drafted had more to do with him being on a terrible Tennessee team with a coach on the way out. He was thought to be an easy second round pick his jr year and he decided to stay for his sr year in hopes of becoming UT's all time leading rusher....hindsight he shoulda left early. I imagine that the Texans might have seen a big drop off after Tate on their board and didn't want to get left with their pants down. I think all three running backs have their own skillset and it will be impossible to figure out who the best one to own will be untill the season starts to play out. I however didn't see anything out of Foster last year that made me think he couldn't handle the job.
I thought he also had fumble issues at UT

Users who are viewing this thread