What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Arizona] Anticipating Denny Green (1 Viewer)

BlueOnion

Footballguy
Green is one of those offensive guys (like Martz) who thinks they are an offensive mastermind, provided they have an ungodly amount of talent on the offensive side of the ball to make their system go.

So if my thinking holds true, I anticipate Denny Green selecting the dynamic, versatile and explosive tight end Vernon Davis in this year's NFL draft. This will give Denny Green an outstanding "car" for Warner to drive. Fitzerald, Boldin and Bryant Johnson at wide receiver, Edgerrin James at running back and Vernon Davis at tight end.

Green is one of those offensive guys (like Martz) who thinks they are an offensive mastermind, provided they have an ungodly amount of talent on the offensive side of the ball to make their system go.

So if my thinking holds true, I anticipate Denny Green selecting the dynamic, versatile and explosive tight end Vernon Davis in this year's NFL draft. This will give Denny Green an outstanding "car" for Warner to drive. Fitzerald, Boldin and Bryant Johnson at wide receiver, Edgerrin James at running back and Vernon Davis at tight end.
No way Vernon Davis is there for Arizona!

So if my thinking holds true, I anticipate Denny Green selecting the dynamic, versatile and explosive tight end Vernon Davis in this year's NFL draft.  This will give Denny Green an outstanding "car" for Warner to drive.  Fitzerald, Boldin and Bryant Johnson at wide receiver, Edgerrin James at running back and Vernon Davis at tight end.
No way Vernon Davis is there for Arizona!
I have been out for a few days and when I left I anticipated Vernon Davis going somewhere between 9 and 12. I guess his value has really started to go up.

Davis will not fall to the Cardinals. No way. He'll most likely go to the 49ers.I like your thinking though. They're red zone offense was, by FAR, the worst in the league last year. He may reach and go for Leonard Pope, but I doubt it. The more likely scenario is drafting someone like Michael Huff or another safety of his choice in the first, and then getting someone like Dominique Byrd, Marcedes Lewis, or Joe Klopfenstein in the second.

His Minnesota teams never had a highly drafted TE?

He should be run out of town if he doesn't improve the O-line or defense this season.

No, his teams never had a blue-chip tightend. This is most likely due to them drafting Randy Moss and wanting to lineup the majority of time with Cris Carter, Jake Reed and Randy Moss. Thus there was no room to get a tightend on the field. If an 'Antonio Gates' was available instead of Randy Moss, I am sure Green would have selected a 'Randy Moss like tightend' instead.But living the history of Denny Green, in 1998 the last thing Minnesota needed was another wide receiver. I honestly thought a blue-chip defensive acquisition would have far more impact on the team.

Honest story:

I was fishing Lake Anna (in Virginia) for walleye and was listening to the draft. As Moss slipped, I feared Denny Green would draft Randy Moss. As the picks got closer, the more I feared the worst. When Detroit picked Terry Fair, I hardly began to pray the Vikings' would not pick Moss when the anouncer began his play-by-play, "Well the Vikings are now on the clock, who do you think they are loo... wait amount, there is quite a commotion and the Vikings are sprinting to draft booth with their pick and the Vikings have selected..."Randy Moss, WR Marshall." Given I was in the middle of the lake, I just let out a scream, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO". :bag:

Moral of the story - Denny Green loves to acquire a hygamagorous amount of offensive talent.

Let us not forget that the Vikes moved up in the second round to select Jim Kleinsasser, although he has been moved around from fullback, to H-Back and back to TE.From Vikings.com: Drafted in the 2nd round (44th overall) of the 1999 NFL draft...Vikings traded picks 59, 73, and 163 to the Steelers in the 1999 Draft in order to acquire Kleinsasser with the 44th pick.

No, his teams never had a blue-chip tightend. This is most likely due to them drafting Randy Moss and wanting to lineup the majority of time with Cris Carter, Jake Reed and Randy Moss. Thus there was no room to get a tightend on the field. If an 'Antonio Gates' was available instead of Randy Moss, I am sure Green would have selected a 'Randy Moss like tightend' instead.But living the history of Denny Green, in 1998 the last thing Minnesota needed was another wide receiver. I honestly thought a blue-chip defensive acquisition would have far more impact on the team.

Honest story:

I was fishing Lake Anna (in Virginia) for walleye and was listening to the draft. As Moss slipped, I feared Denny Green would draft Randy Moss. As the picks got closer, the more I feared the worst. When Detroit picked Terry Fair, I hardly began to pray the Vikings' would not pick Moss when the anouncer began his play-by-play, "Well the Vikings are now on the clock, who do you think they are loo... wait amount, there is quite a commotion and the Vikings are sprinting to draft booth with their pick and the Vikings have selected..."Randy Moss, WR Marshall." Given I was in the middle of the lake, I just let out a scream, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO". :bag:

Moral of the story - Denny Green loves to acquire a hygamagorous amount of offensive talent.
Great story. Sounds like a good way to spend draft day.

Let us not forget that the Vikes moved up in the second round to select Jim Kleinsasser, although he has been moved around from fullback, to H-Back and back to TE.

From Vikings.com: Drafted in the 2nd round (44th overall) of the 1999 NFL draft...Vikings traded picks 59, 73, and 163 to the Steelers in the 1999 Draft in order to acquire Kleinsasser with the 44th pick.
Is that #12 Steve Dills?

Let us not forget that the Vikes moved up in the second round to select Jim Kleinsasser, although he has been moved around from fullback, to H-Back and back to TE.From Vikings.com: Drafted in the 2nd round (44th overall) of the 1999 NFL draft...Vikings traded picks 59, 73, and 163 to the Steelers in the 1999 Draft in order to acquire Kleinsasser with the 44th pick.
If Denny likes blocking TEs, any chance he waits around and grabs someone like Fasano at some point? Edit to add: Not saying Fasano is ever going to be a "Kleinsasser" class blocker, but that's considered more his strength than some of the other TE prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think that he drafts a lineman. Hearing a quote from Edge saying that they have a good nucleus in place (offensively) and that they only need a couple of lineman, makes me beleive that Edge had the same questions about the team that we do and that Green gave him that answer.

Just my .02

Let us not forget that the Vikes moved up in the second round to select Jim Kleinsasser, although he has been moved around from fullback, to H-Back and back to TE.

From Vikings.com:  Drafted in the 2nd round (44th overall) of the 1999 NFL draft...Vikings traded picks 59, 73, and 163 to the Steelers in the 1999 Draft in order to acquire Kleinsasser with the 44th pick.
Is that #12 Steve Dills?
Sean Sallsbury. :) (I had to get rid of C-Pepp.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think that he drafts a lineman. Hearing a quote from Edge saying that they have a good nucleus in place (offensively) and that they only need a couple of lineman, makes me beleive that Edge had the same questions about the team that we do and that Green gave him that answer.

Just my .02
I don't know that Denny EVER drafted an offensive lineman with his first pick. QB, WR, RB, DE, yes. But OL, no.Bryant McKinnie was after he left.

I really think that he drafts a lineman.  Hearing a quote from Edge saying that they have a good nucleus in place (offensively) and that they only need a couple of lineman, makes me beleive that Edge had the same questions about the team that we do and that Green gave him that answer.

Just my .02
I don't know that Denny EVER drafted an offensive lineman with his first pick. QB, WR, RB, DE, yes. But OL, no.Bryant McKinnie was after he left.
Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he won't.Maybe he's learned from his mistakes???

Honest story:

Please tell me you weren't upset with the end result? A future HOF WR with double digit TDs every year?

I really think that he drafts a lineman.  Hearing a quote from Edge saying that they have a good nucleus in place (offensively) and that they only need a couple of lineman, makes me beleive that Edge had the same questions about the team that we do and that Green gave him that answer.

Just my .02
Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he won't.Maybe he's learned from his mistakes???
Perhaps; but you notice that the title of this thread is "Anticipating Denny Green from his years in Minnesota."I was just pointing out what he didn't do in his years in Minnesota.

Users who are viewing this thread