What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Athlete Turns Her Back on the Flag During National Anthem (1 Viewer)

The Commish said:
Me too :thumbup:

Of course to the people who cant think outside the construct of "sides" we are liberal commie pinkos simply for the bold. 
Yes, you're all outside the political box because you have free will and are autonomous, man. 

Hint: You're not. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I missed this previously - I think I was serving a TO.

I don’t think anybody who knows me IRL would say I’m more Conservative - an observer would say I’m drastically more liberal but honestly I feel like I’m about the same.  I think both parties are broken, I think most people are good people, I think the Uber rich are ruining things in a lot of ways (as an aside, that was why I liked many of the things Bernie was selling), I think our 2-party system is crap, I think people should be left alone to do whatever they want (in the bedroom, in their places of worship and with their hobbies) as long as it’s not hurting others, I think we are both at the same time one of the greatest countries on earth but also have room to grow and be a leader.

I think Jan. 6th was one of the worst days in our history, I think the rioting was horrible, I think Joe Biden shouldn’t have run for President and I think Trump was easily the worst President of my lifetime.  I think people should get the vaccine and just wear a damn mask, I think we collectively should actually give a damn about the homeless and our vets and immigrants.  I think healthcare shouldn’t be tied to employment and no one should have to worry about getting sick or going bankrupt if they do.

I could go on but my point is - I don’t fit any group classically and I have no interest in being labeled a Conservative or a Liberal.  
This is fantastic.

"I don't want the responsibility of my positions." 

"I cannot be labeled but I want to enact a communist program with communist means, so don't call me a communist." 

That's what the goobledy#### that was posted above leads to, intellectually. 

This is perfect. 
Im glad you approve.  I thought his stance was a good one about where people may sit on the spectrum.  But yes...by all means continue insulting those who may have found it a good post.  

Im glad you approve.  I thought his stance was a good one about where people may sit on the spectrum.  But yes...by all means continue insulting those who may have found it a good post.  
It was a terrible post. 

HIs point was facile. Sorry he "feels" that way about his position along the spectrum. If only we could all self-declare what we really "feel" rather than what we "are." 

Oh, wait, then we could do that with sex, too. Sounds like a Democrat left-wing idea for sure!

It was a terrible post. 

HIs point was facile. Sorry he "feels" that way about his position along the spectrum. If only we could all self-declare what we really "feel" rather than what we "are." 

Oh, wait, then we could do that with sex, too. Sounds like a Democrat left-wing idea for sure!
If your goal is to get this handle axed as well...you are well on your way, congrats.

I have zero interest in a back and forth getting personal.  Have a nice day.

If your goal is to get this handle axed as well...you are well on your way, congrats.

I have zero interest in a back and forth getting personal.  Have a nice day.
There was nothing personal about what I said. It's a disagreement with a statement I found facile. 

I made no personal comments, other than refutation. I didn't call you "facile." I called the argument "facile." There's a difference, one you should know. That you don't know is telling. 

What are you talking about handle? 

Forget this, you're here again while someone engages. I'm not engaging with you. You derail every thread you're in, and you're lucky you're still here. 

Feelings mean ####. You are, politically, what positions you hold. Your political "feelings" have practical import, which means they have to be enacted or funded in some way, which, given your predilection, makes you a man of the left. Lots of people don't "feel" cruel, or selfish, or leftist, or stupid, or whatever as they walk through life, but they are. That's really too bad you don't "feel" like a left-winger. You are. 

The comments that liked your post are telling. They show a basic lack of understanding of the political and how it comes to be.  

HTH. 
Thanks but I’ll pass on your labels.  It doesn’t offend me to be labeled a left-winger as you are trying to do - it’s just wrong.  

I probably should have read ahead before replying - didn’t realize Woodstock was some kind of GekkoLite.  Notebook updated.  

ETA - also, apologies for derailing the OP.  

Thanks but I’ll pass on your labels.  It doesn’t offend me to be labeled a left-winger as you are trying to do - it’s just wrong.  

I didn't try to label you anything. I'm simply pointing out the fallacy of your argument. Your positions will label you for you. 

Now do the four years where you guys accused anyone that didn't lose their mind over Trump
I think this is fair criticism- for my part, I only have really big issues with people who voted for him in the primaries - he never should have come close to the Presidency and those folks really screwed the rest of the country.  Once he was the nominee it was a foregone conclusion millions would vote for him.  I don’t think they should have but I at least understand why they think they needed to. 

This reminds me of a question I had for @The Commish - not to put you on the spot but what is your take on athletes doing this?  I know you have strong opinions on flag usage.

I personally have no issue with it myself.

I really don`t care.   I guess one athlete is very happy to represent her country and another not so much.

What matters is this athlete has won 10 medals and gets less media coverage that another that came in second to last.

Just this morning I asked 5-6 people what they thought about Felix`s accomplishments..they said who?     But 4 of those same people knew who Gwen Berry was.    Media works in strange ways at times.

This reminds me of a question I had for @The Commish - not to put you on the spot but what is your take on athletes doing this?  I know you have strong opinions on flag usage.

I personally have no issue with it myself.
Made a comment to my son as we were watching that i didnt like it....never have. Ive seen people throw flags down to athletes that then pick them up off the ground....drives me nuts

Any time you try and exert pressure or compulsion over your fellow man, as in say, taxation, you're being political. Where you sit along the spectrum of things is no longer up to you but for your declarations about how you plan and how deeply you plan to compel their labor, time, energy, whatever. 

To think this won't get you labeled is indicative of a real problem we have and a fundamental disconnect. It is the first step towards tyranny. Those that do not get that are fools and pie-in-the-sky wishers away of their own complicity in the law and the laws, and their place within it. 

You are indeed pretty much putting yourself out there to be called a commie pinko lefty once you start talking about government health care and making people's labor time subject to the state. 

But this level of abstraction is probably lost here. 
This "inner commie pinko lefty" reply and surrounding discussion belongs in the "inner republican" thread.  And if it gets us commie medicine and we redistribute enough for a UBI then call me whatever you want.  

Bro, you're wearing out my thesaurus.  
I’m kind of using it wrong, really. Just lazy today. Well, technically it might be right, but not perfect. An aphorism is generally a short observation delivered pithily. This isn’t really that. My bad. I’m tired and grumpy to boot. 

woodstock said:
a duck is a duck regardless of how it identifies. This is how budding fascists on the right and commies on the left hide. 
Youre trying way too hard. I guess i should sit back and just watch the show, but its a bit uncomfortable. 

This notion that people ARE "X" because they take a position on a particular political topic is, well, absurd. Politics is but one, and Id even go further and argue very small, part of what makes a person who they are. If one wants to point out that political position "X" is communist or whatever, thats significantly different than labeling a person communist, especially in a forum like this where one has no clue about others outside what is posted.

Laziness breeds these sort of generalizations. I see it often in those who arent really interested in meaningful discussion and just want to argue. 

Youre trying way too hard. I guess i should sit back and just watch the show, but its a bit uncomfortable. 

This notion that people ARE "X" because they take a position on a particular political topic is, well, absurd. Politics is but one, and Id even go further and argue very small, part of what makes a person who they are. If one wants to point out that political position "X" is communist or whatever, thats significantly different than labeling a person communist, especially in a forum like this where one has no clue about others outside what is posted.

Laziness breeds these sort of generalizations. I see it often in those who arent really interested in meaningful discussion and just want to argue. 
Anytime somebody posts that they "feel" a certain way about something, and those "feelings" consistently match up with a political party's positions, it's no accident they get labeled that way. And they should be called that. They generally vote that way, like AAA Batteries supporting third-party candidates from the left or Sanders. He's a lefty, through and through. 

That shouldn't be "trying too hard" or getting you to "watch the show" or anything about not wanting meaningful discussion. "You can't label me, man" is a statement that cuts off discussion about who one really is, actually, because basic human cognition and impulses being the way they are, categorization or taxonomical enterprises are par for the course. You can disavow it all you want, as vehemently as you want, but that's how we operate, and it's the right way to do so, in my opinion.  

He's a left-winger. Too bad for him if it doesn't respect his "individual" thought. His "individual" thought is easily taxonomical. If you're a tool of the ideological battles, then you're just that, a tool of the ideological battles and you're on one side of them. 

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's a duck. 

Sorry. That's not anything earth-shattering, it's a long-held and even clichéd statement and sentiment. Generally, anybody holding positions in conflict with his other positions isn't a free thinker, he's logically inconsistent in his premises or he's just drawing arbitrary lines around arbitrary actions. 

Which is fine. But call it what it is. 

Look, I've been following this board a long time. The only ones decrying this are dyed-in-the-wool lefties like yourself and a few others. You might disavow that and watch the BBC or whatnot, but you're always on the left side of things, for better or worse. 

Just admit what you are and be on with it. 

Just put him on ignore like I did - he has no clue what he’s talking about.

Yes, the old passive-aggressive "put him on ignore list" stated publicly for the person to read. I've long dismissed these "feelings" as really worthy of any serious political comment, so I haven't commented until they've been admitted to just that. "Feelings." 

Okay, Morris

The Commish said:
Made a comment to my son as we were watching that i didnt like it....never have. Ive seen people throw flags down to athletes that then pick them up off the ground....drives me nuts
I’m guessing the KD flag snap didn’t go over well in your house?   :)  

Yes, the old passive-aggressive "put him on ignore list" stated publicly for the person to read. I've long dismissed these "feelings" as really worthy of any serious political comment, so I haven't commented until they've been admitted to just that. "Feelings." 

Okay, Morris
Agreed, why ensure you are in an echo chamber in a forum that is already 90% one way. Don’t get it. 

Agreed, why ensure you are in an echo chamber in a forum that is already 90% one way. Don’t get it. 
I'm not really worried. He can continue unabated and opine declaratively about his "feelings." He says I don't know what I'm talking about. Try a poli sci degree (minor) but with seminar, a law school degree, and five years in D.C. in politics. That's about the level of how much I don't know what I'm talking about. 

That's rich from an Atlantan suburbanite with soccer avatars. That tells you about all you need to know, doesn't it, though? 

Mmm yes. When someone who opines with how he "feels" about things tells you you don't know anything, it's about time to post credentials, I'd say. 

If you had any letters of recommendation to post or anything of merit to post, I'd say go ahead. It's a bad look all around admittedly, but if we must be called know-nothings, then what the heck. It's really the only response other than a body of work already left. Judging my body against others will stand the test of time, I believe. And I saw the mods in here eliminating people calling me "self-satisfied." Welp, as somebody said in an earlier thread, I'll make the most of it. 

Of course I know
That within a month the sleeving snows will come
With cold, selective emphases, with massings
And arbitrary contrasts, rendering things
Deceptively simple, thickening the twigs
To frosty veins, bestowing epaulets
And decorations on every birch and aspen.
And the eye, self-satisfied, will be misled,
Thinking the puzzle solved, supposing at last It can look forth and comprehend the world.
That's when you have to really watch yourself.
So I hope that you won't think me plain ungrateful
For not selecting one of your fine books..

Pardon me for not selecting group consensus here. I'd rather not, actually. 

Change that 20 to 30,
That's more like saying one programs in BASIC because it was en vogue at the time and it's practicable now. If one was ahead of their time, then one just is. One should still know the basics of C+++ if one could program in it back then. 

20 IF X IS "IGNORANT" THEN PRINT "WILLFULLY OBNOXIOUS" ELSE GOTO 30
30 PRINT "I'm out." 

still works in BASIC.

Look, I've been following this board a long time. The only ones decrying this are dyed-in-the-wool lefties like yourself and a few others. You might disavow that and watch the BBC or whatnot, but you're always on the left side of things, for better or worse. 

Just admit what you are and be on with it. 
I agree with much of what you said about political  identity.  That is why I think this belongs in Joe's thread and not here.   However, I don't agree with this.  These guys might have drifted to the left but the aren't "dyed-in-the-wool" lefties.  They certainly bring a lot of conservative sensibilities (i.e. nonsense) along with them that make us "card carrying" guys cringe all the time.   So maybe more like the political equivalent of nouveau riche.      

But then again I have never been in  the "old money" lefty circles that I think have shaped your views of the left either. .

That's more like saying one programs in BASIC because it was en vogue at the time and it's practicable now. If one was ahead of their time, then one just is. One should still know the basics of C+++ if one could program in it back then. 

20 IF X IS "IGNORANT" THEN PRINT "WILLFULLY OBNOXIOUS" ELSE GOTO 30
30 PRINT "I'm out." 

still works in BASIC.
Using C++ in the early 90s wasn't being ahead of my time, it was a way to automate job tasks I didn't want to do.   That job has evolved a bit since then.  So no longer fluent in that.   Think I would need a bit of time to be refresh my 6502 machine language skills also.  Now VBA meant BASIC would remain relatively constant.

But just for you  (using a code converter as it is 2021)

Code:
{
    if (X == "IGNORANT")
        printf("WILLFULLY OBNOXIOUS");
    printf("I'm out.");
}    

But then again I have never been in  the "old money" lefty circles that I think have shaped your views of the left either. .
I've been in the bourgeois bohemian world and the activist academia world, actually. Not old money. That's different than what I've experienced. Growing up around Western Massachusetts with Mount Holyoke, Smith, and Elms College (three radical women's colleges) plus Trinity and Wesleyan in the area I was close to in CT will do that. It shapes politics because I've seen the more radical left for thirty plus years as a youth and adult have their policies, largely enacted through school boards because the populace is too blue collar for actual laws to be changed, come to fruition in curriculum, and therefore, thought. That's the best way to explain my contrarianism. I have no real problem with the non-communist, older Democrats before 1968. It's what came after on the radical fringes that slipped into mainstream political thought that is my main problem. I think the biggest problem began in the early seventies with radical feminism, but that might be for a different time and place. A lot of nasty ideology sprung from it, especially identity and personal meddling of the political into the personal, like we see today. 

It's weird, there are some aspects of the radical left-wing fringe I find allegiance to. I'm glad they broke into the Pentagon and stole the Pentagon Papers. They may have been radical leftists, but kudos to them. I support Edward Snowden. I think he might actually be a hero if he's not a Russian agent. Our government needs some accountability on so many levels left unaccountable, and the right sure as heck isn't checking it. Rand Paul, of all people, was their greatest hope, and look how he turned out. At the national level, it's Ron Wyden (D) doing the heavy lifting on those fronts. That's why its disheartening to see people avoid labels when they're walking in concert with one side. I certainly pick my battles, and there's no side for me to be on politically. I'm adrift. Calling one's self an individualist without the policy bona fides is anathema to what I believe in. 

But back to old money and its influence and where I grew up. David Brooks just wrote a great article about the rise of odious nationalism/Trumpism and the fault of the Bobos in its genesis. As much as many might dislike Brooks, I've found him spot-on from his love of President Obama on through to his diagnosis of the current climate. 

How The Bobos Broke America

Mmm yes. When someone who opines with how he "feels" about things tells you you don't know anything, it's about time to post credentials, I'd say. 

If you had any letters of recommendation to post or anything of merit to post, I'd say go ahead. It's a bad look all around admittedly, but if we must be called know-nothings, then what the heck. It's really the only response other than a body of work already left. Judging my body against others will stand the test of time, I believe. And I saw the mods in here eliminating people calling me "self-satisfied." Welp, as somebody said in an earlier thread, I'll make the most of it. 
This just might be the perfect response. Bravo, good sir. 

This just might be the perfect response. Bravo, good sir. 
Thank you for the compliment. One good turn deserves another, but I don't want to overdo it. Suffice it to say I think your temperament on the boards is exemplary and befits a fine man. So thanks, GB. 

The Commish said:
I dont have an ignore list, but its rather clear it wont go anywhere when the jumping off point is "hey, youre cutting off discussion because you arent letting me label you something you arent"
Apparently it was rock - some weird schtick but whatever.

AAABatteries said:
Sorry I missed this previously - I think I was serving a TO.

I don’t think anybody who knows me IRL would say I’m more Conservative - an observer would say I’m drastically more liberal but honestly I feel like I’m about the same.  I think both parties are broken, I think most people are good people, I think the Uber rich are ruining things in a lot of ways (as an aside, that was why I liked many of the things Bernie was selling), I think our 2-party system is crap, I think people should be left alone to do whatever they want (in the bedroom, in their places of worship and with their hobbies) as long as it’s not hurting others, I think we are both at the same time one of the greatest countries on earth but also have room to grow and be a leader.

I think Jan. 6th was one of the worst days in our history, I think the rioting was horrible, I think Joe Biden shouldn’t have run for President and I think Trump was easily the worst President of my lifetime.  I think people should get the vaccine and just wear a damn mask, I think we collectively should actually give a damn about the homeless and our vets and immigrants.  I think healthcare shouldn’t be tied to employment and no one should have to worry about getting sick or going bankrupt if they do.

I could go on but my point is - I don’t fit any group classically and I have no interest in being labeled a Conservative or a Liberal.  
Thx.  I like the newer version of you better, and you’d definitely say the same about me.

Had to google it since no one noticed her at the actual Olympics…..11th place finish. Do they play the anthem for you with that type of finish? 

Users who are viewing this thread