What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Atlanta clinches playoff spot (1 Viewer)

GridironMenace

Footballguy
Can Atlanta's playoff slot change any since they locked up a playoff spot tonight? How much do the starters play against NO especially since they could see them in the playoffs and don't want to give anything away?

If Atlanta wins out and NO loses week 17 Altanta wins the division so they will still play hard tomorrow. Week 17 they won't if they lose tomorrow.

I thought about this too, and I am surprised no one has mentioned it. The thing is, theoretically if they beat the saints then the saints to lose carolina next week and the falcons win, they would be tied for the division (not sure who wins the tiebreaker?) But of course the saints aren't going to lose to the panthers anyway. They still have 5 versus 6 seed implications riding on it but I don't know how much teams care about those. And like you said, there is a very good chance they could be back in New Orleans for round one.

I would think maybe if they get down big they could pull Ryan and co. but even then I dunno.

I thought about this too, and I am surprised no one has mentioned it. The thing is, theoretically if they beat the saints then the saints to lose carolina next week and the falcons win, they would be tied for the division (not sure who wins the tiebreaker?) But of course the saints aren't going to lose to the panthers anyway. They still have 5 versus 6 seed implications riding on it but I don't know how much teams care about those. And like you said, there is a very good chance they could be back in New Orleans for round one.I would think maybe if they get down big they could pull Ryan and co. but even then I dunno.
You never know. Cam Newton can go insane again. Remember the Rams actually beat the Saints this year. Anything is possible. For Atlanta not to play their starters just cuz their chances of winning the division are difficult would be ridiculed by everyone.

I thought about this too, and I am surprised no one has mentioned it. The thing is, theoretically if they beat the saints then the saints to lose carolina next week and the falcons win, they would be tied for the division (not sure who wins the tiebreaker?) But of course the saints aren't going to lose to the panthers anyway. They still have 5 versus 6 seed implications riding on it but I don't know how much teams care about those. And like you said, there is a very good chance they could be back in New Orleans for round one.I would think maybe if they get down big they could pull Ryan and co. but even then I dunno.
You never know. Cam Newton can go insane again. Remember the Rams actually beat the Saints this year. Anything is possible. For Atlanta not to play their starters just cuz their chances of winning the division are difficult would be ridiculed by everyone.
Yeah pretty much. The only thing it could impact though is if the Saints go up huge, they might pull them.

If Atlanta loses tomorrow night, they could end up playing the Saints again in Round 1, which they probably don't want to do (the Cowboys/Giants are a better matchup for them).

Last edited by a moderator:
The only 3 teams who can be 5/6 seeds are all dome teams ... that 5 seed is gonna have to deal with Northeast winter winds and weather at the Meadowlands ... providing the G-Men dispose of The Hand, of course ... :popcorn:

Tomorrow might still be a shootout after all ... can you envision Brees and co. scaling back at all? They only have one gear, and this game still matters.

I don't think teams are going to care much for the difference between 5/6 seeds so I think both Detroit and Atlanta (if they lose) will play like pre-season games next week play starters maybe a quarter and pull them.

Is there that much difference between the 5/6 seeds ? Normally teams don't play to move up from 6 to 5.

I don't think teams are going to care much for the difference between 5/6 seeds so I think both Detroit and Atlanta (if they lose) will play like pre-season games next week play starters maybe a quarter and pull them.Is there that much difference between the 5/6 seeds ? Normally teams don't play to move up from 6 to 5.
Thats how I feel also but some people seem to think it matters. I don't see Detroit or Atlanta risking starters to get to go on the road to either Dallas or NY. Its still the playoffs on the road and its more important to have your starters healthy for that game.

I don't think teams are going to care much for the difference between 5/6 seeds so I think both Detroit and Atlanta (if they lose) will play like pre-season games next week play starters maybe a quarter and pull them.Is there that much difference between the 5/6 seeds ? Normally teams don't play to move up from 6 to 5.
I think this year there is a big difference between 5 and 6 in the NFC, because with the 5 seed you get to play the Giants or Cowboys instead of the Saints. Now if the 49ers are the #3 seed instead of the Saints, then I think it may not matter as much. The 49ers, Giants and Cowboys are all beatable at home. The Saints are not. So as long as the Saints stay the #3 seed, I don't think you want to be the #6 seed.

The difference is going to be playing the Saints or the NFC east champ. Who would you rather play?
:goodposting: big separation from te Saints to the Boys or Giants in my opinion.
Many people now consider the Saints the best team in the league, while the Giants or Cowboys would easily be the worst NFC playoff team. Furthermore, being a 5th seed could mean playing SF instead of GB in the second round. Furthermore, being the 5th seed could mean playing at home in the NFC Championship game. Swartz would be a fool not to want to win. Same for the Falcons.

The difference is going to be playing the Saints or the NFC east champ. Who would you rather play?
:goodposting: big separation from the Saints to the Boys or Giants in my opinion.
Many people now consider the Saints the best team in the league, while the Giants or Cowboys would easily be the worst NFC playoff team. Furthermore, being a 5th seed could mean playing SF instead of GB in the second round. Furthermore, being the 5th seed could mean playing at home in the NFC Championship game. Swartz would be a fool not to want to win. Same for the Falcons.
absolutely. I am not a Herm Edwards fan, but he had it right, "Hello............ you play to win the game!", especially when the potential rewards are so high.

Can Atlanta's playoff slot change any since they locked up a playoff spot tonight? How much do the starters play against NO especially since they could see them in the playoffs and don't want to give anything away?
Atlanta is guaranteed at least the last playoff seed but are not locked in at 6. If Atlanta wins tonight they move past Detroit into the 5th playoff seed.Here are the two Atlanta scenarios win or lose tonight.If Atlanta wins tonight then Atlanta does not rest anyone next week. They will be playing for either the division if NO loses next week or to maintain the 5th playoff seed.If Atlanta loses tonight then they still have a chance to move up to the 5th playoff spot but only if Detroit loses next week.That flex game change really puts a wrench into week 17 and Atlanta FF players. If they had not been flexed Atlanta would have played all out to begin the game.The later game opens up the potential to rest players.If Atlanta loses tonight they will watch the Detroit/GB game next week. If Detroit wins then Atlanta is locked into the 6th seed and can think about resting their players. In that scenario I would guess Turner rests the whole game. Because it is a home game they still play Ryan, Snelling, Gonzalez, White and Julio for one quarter or half a game imo.

'Wombat1 said:
Saints nearly lost to the Panthers before the offense started clicking and the defense already sucked. This may be a high scoring affair and it is by no means a guaranteed win for the Saints. Saints D is in the middle of the pack at best and of course the Panthers will have a hard time stopping Drew.

'Wombat1 said:
Saints nearly lost to the Panthers before the offense started clicking and the defense already sucked. This may be a high scoring affair and it is by no means a guaranteed win for the Saints. Saints D is in the middle of the pack at best and of course the Panthers will have a hard time stopping Drew.
Division doesn't matter now. It's whether or not the Falcons and Lions want to risk injuries to their starters to have the reward of playing the cowboys/giants on the road in the first round.

Users who are viewing this thread