What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Auction strategy question re: handcuffs (1 Viewer)

kento

Footballguy
During an auction draft, let's say you are targetting a backfield (clear-cut starter + clear-cut backup).  In a situation where the winning bidder gets to nominate the next player, would you nominate the starter first and chase the back-up later or try to get the back-up first cheaply?  Anyone have success with either method?

Seems kind of an odd rule... do you have the throw out the first bid on that player, or just nominate him for bids? What if he gets zero bids? Seems kind of odd... you'd at least want a team to nominate a player they want I'd think.

Rules aside, yes I would go for the backup later. If you beat out someone who also wanted that starter, and you immediately go to the backup... that guy might be kind of burned and want to screw you over. As opposed to later when he has his own backfield wrapped up as he's checked out of that backfield and went onto plan B

During an auction draft, let's say you are targetting a backfield (clear-cut starter + clear-cut backup).  In a situation where the winning bidder gets to nominate the next player, would you nominate the starter first and chase the back-up later or try to get the back-up first cheaply?  Anyone have success with either method?
Never did an auction where the winner gets to bid as I've always gone by a specific order.  I myself would wait to get the backup if you really want him.  If you nominate him right away then you're just making it obvious that you want him and others with bid him up.  If you want a shot at getting him cheap I think I'd wait.

I think this comes down to the hype on the handcuff and how your league mates roll.  I know of many owners that don't worry about handcuffs so they wouldn't even try for them early while others use that as a clear strategy so you would have to be more careful.

If you throw out the handcuff early and get him that tips your hand to the rest of the league that you are going to be going after the primary guy so he may get bid up more due to the other owners thinking you will overpay a bit. 

I would rather not worry about handcuffs (unless someone like Henry that could have value on their own) until way late. 

Yeah, it's a little different - we start the bids with the highest scoring player from the previous season, then whoever wins the bid gets to nominate the next player.  If no one else bids then the original bidder wins for that guy and nominates again.

Thanks for the replies, I know this is a very situational dilemma but I'm trying to catch all the various advantages and disadvantages.

In general, I want to nominate guys who I have zero interest in, and will wreck the budget of my opponents.

Nominating your newly obtained Rb's backup will result in overpaying. Enjoy your new RB and sit tight, the longer you wait, the better.

Users who are viewing this thread