What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - What do you think? (2 Viewers)

Washington’s Austin Seferian-Jenkins looking forward to the next chapter of his football life

Tight end expected to go in first couple of rounds of NFL draft

By Adam Jude

Seattle Times

Washington tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins is excited about the upcoming NFL draft, and his chance to start fresh helping his new team.

Hobbled by a surprising foot injury in February and humbled by a wave of anonymous criticism, Austin Seferian-Jenkins is healthy again and happy to have the NFL draft kick off this week.

“I’ve been thinking about this moment, really, ever since I picked up a football. It’s a dream to play in the NFL,” Washington’s record-setting tight end said after a workout at UW on Monday afternoon. “This Thursday, Friday — whenever it happens, it’s going to be an amazing moment.”

Seferian-Jenkins is planning a fairly low-key draft party at his childhood home on Fox Island, with family friends and former teammates invited. Of course, he said, he would love to hear his name called in the first round during the prime-time ESPN broadcast Thursday.

“Anxiety, nervousness, excitement — all those come together when you’re talking about where the next chapter of your life is going to be,” Seferian-Jenkins said. “All your hard work comes down to this moment, and I’m just excited to start this new chapter of football.”

It’s hardly been a fairy tale year so far for Seferian-Jenkins. At the NFL combine in February, it was discovered he had a hairline stress fracture in his left foot.

Unknown to him, Seferian-Jenkins had played with the injury for at least part of the 2013 season with the Huskies, and the discovery of the injury prevented him from participating in the combine.

Around the same time, an anonymous scout leveled some harsh criticism of Seferian-Jenkins, calling him “lazy” and “unreliable,” among other things. All this after Seferian-Jenkins had been arrested in March 2013 for driving under the influence, leading some NFL analysts to question his character.

Seferian-Jenkins pleaded guilty to the DUI charge last year and has apologized for the incident.

He also spoke before hundreds of students at Ballard High School in December about the dangers of drinking and driving.

The football questions this year about his work ethic and attitude have served as motivation.

“People are going to say what they want. Everyone has their opinion,” he said Monday. “I mean, I think it’s great. I love it. I actually love when people want to tell me something I’m not. They’ll be sorry whenever they have to play me.”

In three seasons at Washington, Seferian-Jenkins set nearly every school record at his position and last season became the first Husky to win the John Mackey Award, given to the nation’s top tight end. He declared for the draft moments after his junior season had ended in December with the Huskies’ victory in the Fight Hunger Bowl.

The page is finally starting to turn for Seferian-Jenkins, just as the draft approaches. He lost about 20 pounds on his 6-foot-5 frame, down to 262 at the February combine, and his surgically repaired foot is 100 percent healthy.

He said he has not run a timed 40-yard dash for any team, as had been reported recently, but he said he did run in the 4.6-second range during a workout with his trainer earlier this year, before having surgery on his foot.

He recently spent two and a half weeks on the East Coast, visiting with various NFL teams — eight in all.

Many other teams have been calling with last-minute questions, typically to verify contact information in case they want to call him back later this week, with the clock ticking down.

Most analysts project Seferian-Jenkins to be among the first 40 players drafted.

The NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah has him going to Green Bay with the 21st overall selection, which would make Seferian-Jenkins the third Husky in four years to go in the first round (joining Desmond Trufant from 2013, and Jake Locker from 2011).

“First, fourth, fifth, sixth — it doesn’t matter where I go. I’m just very honored that a team would take a chance on me,” he said. “It’s what you do once you get there. I’m ready to play football. Wherever I go, I’m going to make that team, that tight end room, that offense better. Let’s go to the playoffs and win Super Bowls.”

All in good time, perhaps.

And after a rough few months, the good times should begin again for Seferian-Jenkins as early as Thursday night.

not f'ng going to the packers in r1. The Packers defense is swiss cheese. TT will go BPA - so long as it is a NT/ILB, CB or Safety available

Brewtown said:
He said he has not run a timed 40-yard dash for any team, as had been reported recently, but he said he did run in the 4.6-second range during a workout with his trainer earlier this year, before having surgery on his foot.
Interesting.

Rotoworld:

Buccaneers selected Washington TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins with the No. 38 overall pick in the NFL draft
Seferian-Jenkins (6-foot-5 1/2, 262) won the 2013 Mackey Award as the nation's top tight end, finishing his three-year career with 146 catches for 1,840 yards (12.6 YPR) and 21 touchdowns. He missed the Combine due to a stress fracture in his foot, but reportedly ran a 4.56 forty with a 37 1/2-inch vertical in a pre-draft private workout -- mind-boggling measurables at his size. "ASJ" dabbled in basketball early in his UW career, and has long arms (33 3/4"). While his tape suggests Seferian-Jenkins plays closer to 4.7, his red-zone dominance can't be disputed, and he has tools to develop into an impact blocker. He profiles as an NFL mismatch creator and future TE1 in fantasy. The Buccaneers are building a figurative basketball team on offense, with 6-foot-5 wideouts Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans, and 6-foot-6 Seferian-Jenkins at tight end.

cstu said:
Looks like the only fantasy TE's are Ebron and Amaro.
Huh? VJax is 31. Not saying he's done but he's likely on the back end of his prime. Evans is a draft pick. Like ASJ, we have no idea if he'll be a stud or a flop. If ASJ is the goods, he'll do just fine in Tampa.

Also this idea that Lovie Smith has anything to do with it is nonsense. Jeff Tedford runs that offense, not Lovie, or Martz, Turner etc...

Buccaneers draft Austin Seferian-Jenkins at No. 38By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers entered draft weekend with a wildly talented defense, and an offense in need of playmakers. They are fixing that problem with aggression.

Tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins is headed to Tampa as the No. 38 pick of the draft. The versatile threat will join first-round pick Mike Evans to form a fun offensive nucleus alongside Vincent Jackson and Doug Martin.

Seferian-Jenkins was one of our favorite players in the pre-draft process. Unlike Eric Ebron, Seferian-Jenkins is an excellent blocker. He also has good hands and makes a big target in the red zone. (Tampa was dead last in red zone efficiency last year.) He's the most similar tight end to Rob Gronkowski in the draft, and we didn't understand why Ebron was valued so much ahead of him.

The Buccaneers have lacked a quality tight end for the last few years. That shouldn't be a problem anymore.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provides instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Wish height, size, and catch radius meant anything in Madden, I'd be starting a franchise for the hell of it with the Bucs right now.

cstu said:
Looks like the only fantasy TE's are Ebron and Amaro.
Huh? VJax is 31. Not saying he's done but he's likely on the back end of his prime. Evans is a draft pick. Like ASJ, we have no idea if he'll be a stud or a flop. If ASJ is the goods, he'll do just fine in Tampa.

Also this idea that Lovie Smith has anything to do with it is nonsense. Jeff Tedford runs that offense, not Lovie, or Martz, Turner etc...
VJax should still have 3 years left and the Bucs don't have a QB to produce top fantasy numbers from three players.

I expect a Gresham-like career out of him.

It will be interesting to see how teams defend the Bucs in the red zone with three 6'5" targets. If they ever get there of course.

Grahamburn said:
It will be interesting to see how teams defend the Bucs in the red zone with three 6'5" targets. If they ever get there of course.
Don't forget 6'4" Tim Wright.

i don't understand why people worry about a team not having a qb right now. there's another draft next year...and the year after that. if you're projecting a gresham-like career it should be because you don't think ASF is a special player. what if evans bombs? what if they get the #1 pick next year? no one thought the texans were going to be terrible last year. it could happen.

Grahamburn said:
Don't forget 6'4" Tim Wright.
It will be interesting to see what they do with him after signing Myers and drafting ASJ. Wright showed he can be a pretty competent receiver.

I'm really excited to see the growth of ASJ. Glennon appears to be a "TE thrower" as 25% of his yardage and 32% of his TDs went to the TEs. The majority of those yards and TDs went to Wright who was 2nd on the team in receiving yards and TDs. I know many on here believe that McCown will start - and he may next season - but I think Glennon is the future and he played pretty darn well for a rookie, imo.

Aside from Glennon appearing to like throwing to TEs, ASJ is a goal-setter and Mackey award finalist (2012) and winner (2013). ASJ is a hard worker, team player and has high-end athleticism. ASJ is my #1 TE from this 2014 class and I think he will produce early in his career (2nd season). Whoever lands ASJ with pick 12 or later, especially in a TE premium league, is getting outstanding value/upside.

VJax should still have 3 years left and the Bucs don't have a QB to produce top fantasy numbers from three players.

I expect a Gresham-like career out of him.
TEs don't produce the first year. After that, we have no idea what the situation will look like. If he does go on to have a Gresham-like career, it will have nothing to do with the Bucs 2014 roster.

I'm really excited to see the growth of ASJ. Glennon appears to be a "TE thrower" as 25% of his yardage and 32% of his TDs went to the TEs. The majority of those yards and TDs went to Wright who was 2nd on the team in receiving yards and TDs. I know many on here believe that McCown will start - and he may next season - but I think Glennon is the future and he played pretty darn well for a rookie, imo.

Aside from Glennon appearing to like throwing to TEs, ASJ is a goal-setter and Mackey award finalist (2012) and winner (2013). ASJ is a hard worker, team player and has high-end athleticism. ASJ is my #1 TE from this 2014 class and I think he will produce early in his career (2nd season). Whoever lands ASJ with pick 12 or later, especially in a TE premium league, is getting outstanding value/upside.
I agree with this totally. I think he is the #1 TE for fun and love the upside this guy will have. I tried to get into one draft for him after he dropped past your point and got him in the other at 1.16. IN fact in premium TE leagues, I got him as a top 5 pick with higher upside than guys like Carlos Hyde or Jordan Matthews etc.

Rotoworld:

Second-round pick Austin Seferian-Jenkins missed all of Bucs OTAs and minicamp due to the University of Washington's late graduation.

Seferian-Jenkins will therefore be behind Brandon Myers and Tim Wright when training camp starts, though we'd expect him to push for early-season snaps, even if he isn't an every-down player when the season opens. We'll find out more about ASJ's rookie-year outlook in August. For now, he's a lower-end fantasy TE2. Seferian-Jenkins' long-term projection remains as a high-scoring TE1.

Source: buccaneers.com

Jun 23 - 1:05 PM

Rotoworld:

Second-round pick Austin Seferian-Jenkins missed all of Bucs OTAs and minicamp due to the University of Washington's late graduation.

Seferian-Jenkins will therefore be behind Brandon Myers and Tim Wright when training camp starts, though we'd expect him to push for early-season snaps, even if he isn't an every-down player when the season opens. We'll find out more about ASJ's rookie-year outlook in August. For now, he's a lower-end fantasy TE2. Seferian-Jenkins' long-term projection remains as a high-scoring TE1.

He is way behind right now. With Evans and Jackson there is not going to be a lot of passes to go around especially in the redzone where TEs make a lot of their value. This guy has bust written all over him and he has had a foot injury that bothers me. He needs to make the most of training camp to even have a shot at being a factor for the Buccs or for fantasy owners.

Rotoworld:

He is way behind right now. With Evans and Jackson there is not going to be a lot of passes to go around especially in the redzone where TEs make a lot of their value. This guy has bust written all over him and he has had a foot injury that bothers me. He needs to make the most of training camp to even have a shot at being a factor for the Buccs or for fantasy owners.
I don't think he will be a factor this season. There's no reason to rush him into playing, so I think the Bucs will ease him into the game plan. He's un-draftable in re-drafts and taxi squad in dynasty leagues.

All that being said, I don't think he will be a bust at all. Dude won the Mackey award on a down year. He will be the superstar TE from this class but us fantasy geeks will have to wait a few years to see elite production.

He will be the superstar TE from this class but us fantasy geeks will have to wait a few years to see elite production.
The bad part about drafting him in the late 1st is that I don't expect big production his first couple of years and it will be easy to give up on him before he lives up to his potential.

He will be the superstar TE from this class but us fantasy geeks will have to wait a few years to see elite production.
The bad part about drafting him in the late 1st is that I don't expect big production his first couple of years and it will be easy to give up on him before he lives up to his potential.
Yep. Thats why I plan on keeping him on the taxi squad for 3 seasons and hopefully activating him in season 4. Anything sooner is a bonus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

For this season? Jump to conclusions much?

Rotoworld:

For this season? Jump to conclusions much?
I kind of agree to an extent. I'm not sure he'll be a bust, but I'm not sure how many targets he really sees before his rookie contract runs out. I think the talent is there but I see this very similar to Julius Thomas where there's just not going to be enough opportunity for him to really be a factor until his 3rd year. VJax contract is up after the 2016 season, he'll also be almost 35 at that point so it's possible he retires. But with VJax and Evans around unless they get the next Andrew Luck in town I doubt he sees much more than 50-70 targets a season until then.

Then again, I can see a small scenario where Evans becomes the literal next Brandon Marshall/VJax type of guy and the combination of Evans/VJax opens up the middle of the field for ASJ to just dance his way into the end zone consistently. But I think then we're relying on three players (Evans, ASJ and QB) to really succeed instead of just one (ASJ) which means the odds are a lot lower.

I don't expect any TE from this year or really any year to do much if anything in year 1. Good ones in good situations might be good in year 2, and most take to year 3 anyway. So he is a fine choice to me.

I've yet to see the slimmed down version play but the guy I saw last year looks like another Gresham, Pettigrew, Marcedes Lewis type.

I've yet to see the slimmed down version play but the guy I saw last year looks like another Gresham, Pettigrew, Marcedes Lewis type.
Here are some cut ups of a couple of his 2012 games- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWyhk5A3iRA

I think he looks a bit smoother at the lighter weight than what you see in 2013. But not as good as a blocker.

He also had a stress fracture in his foot last season that bothered him all year.

He acknowledged to the Seattle Times on Monday, however, that he was "glad they found it," and that now he'd "finally found out why my foot was hurting all year." http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24460925/nfl-draft-seferian-jenkins-opts-for-surgery-now
I consider Gresham to be a bit better as a receiver than Pettigrew or Lewis. I think ASJ could be similar to Gresham, which in my opinion has been pretty good. He had 64rec 737 yards 5TD in 2012 and over 50 receptions in every season except for 2013 when he only had 46. If ASJ has a career start similar to what Gresham has done I would be pretty happy with that. Considering what Tim Wright did last season, I think there may be some good opportunity for him to possibly do that, depending on what happens with Wright and the rest of the offense, which has a lot of new faces right now.

I've wavered on him a little bit. Think he's a pretty talented guy and likely to become a solid starter.

Lack of explosive plays and widely rumored crappy personality are issues for me.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Buccaneers
Buccaneers TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins (foot) is "confident" he be ready for training camp.
"I feel really good. My foot feels really good," Seferian-Jenkins said "I've been running route, doing all the exercise and workout drills that they've asked me to do. I feel very comfortable." ASJ missed all of Bucs OTAs and minicamp because of Washington's late graduation, so he will likely be behind Brandon Myers and Tim Wright when camp begins. He should push for snaps early, though, and could develop into a red-zone threat as early as this season. Seferian-Jenkins is a TE2 flier in redraft formats.

Source: Tampa Bay Times
Jul 10 - 12:47 PM

will be marcedes lewis-esque for FF.
I would call Marcedes the best case. Seferian-Jenkins will help the Bucs a lot more than us. He's the guy we'll drop when our kicker has a bye. I'd much rather select Richard Rodgers, who at least has decent upside as a receiver in Green Bay's offense.

cloppbeast said:
will be marcedes lewis-esque for FF.
I would call Marcedes the best case. Seferian-Jenkins will help the Bucs a lot more than us. He's the guy we'll drop when our kicker has a bye. I'd much rather select Richard Rodgers, who at least has decent upside as a receiver in Green Bay's offense.
He's got more potential than that but I don't like where he going off the board in rookie drafts (12-14).

Rotoworld:

Pewter Report's Scott Reynolds "would be very surprised" if TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins (foot) isn't ready for the first week of training camp.

Seferian-Jenkins missed OTAs and minicamp due to Washington's late graduation. The time off should have allowed him to fully recover from the foot injury that forced him to sit out the Combine. ASJ doesn't project for many targets in the Bucs' run-based offense, but could be an immediate red-zone contributor. He'll enter camp behind Brandon Myers and Tim Wright. Seferian-Jenkins will push for early-season snaps even if he isn't the Week 1 starter.

Source: Pewter Report

Jul 19 - 6:43 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Lovie Smith said second-round TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins is "behind a lot."

Seferian-Jenkins's surgically-repaired foot is fine, but he's trying to learn the playbook and get into football shape at the same time. His curve has been slowed by the University of Washington's late graduation. Look for ASJ to be a role player in Week 1 before gradually passing Brandon Myers and Tim Wright.

Source: Tampa Tribune

Jul 28 - 12:04 PM

I like him. He probably won't produce much until year two. Like his ADP in rookie drafts right now. Have very little interest in him for '14 redraft.

@MoveTheSticks

Bucs are pumped about ASJ's play in camp. He's picked things up quickly and made a lot of plays. I'm anxious to see more tomorrow.

This guy has some elite TE potential. Kind of a small downgrade for him in the red zone because Evans is in TB and vice versa for Evans. Not sure where he's going in rookie drafts i think mid-late second round. Great value there. If i needed a TE I'd take him as early as 1.10 ish maybe.

Rotoworld:

Bucs OC Jeff Tedford says rookie TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins has been a quick study in camp despite missing spring practices due to the University of Washington's late graduation.
Lovie Smith expressed concern about how far behind ASJ was at the start of training camp, but he's come along fast. "I could tell he was studying when he was away," said Tedford. Seferian-Jenkins should position himself to start Week 1 if he plays well this preseason. He's competing with Brandon Myers to be Tampa Bay's in-line tight end, with Tim Wright in the flex/move position.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

I'm hearing this guy could start as a rookie. Not sure what to expect from him this year but Tampa thinks they got a difference maker at TE now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Buccaneers

The Bucs have used "12" personnel on 32 percent of their preseason snaps, well above the NFL average of 21 percent.

Last year, the Bucs used two-tight end sets less than 10 percent of the time, according to Football Outsiders. The Lovie Smith regime has come in and made the position a priority, drafting Austin Seferian-Jenkins 38th overall and signing Brandon Myers. At 6'5/262 with unique leaping ability, ASJ has a real shot to emerge as the No. 3 target for Josh McCown -- especially in the red zone.

Related: Tim Wright, Luke Stocker, Brandon Myers

Source: Tampa Bay Times

Aug 21 - 8:26 AM
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/bucs-offense-showing-more-of-two-te-package/2193767

Users who are viewing this thread