What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - What do you think? (1 Viewer)

Thoughts on ASJ now? Seems moving Wright to NE is a vote of confidence that he is going to take over sooner rather than later. No other TE on the roster can threaten in the passing game like he can. I even heard Adam Caplan talking about him on a radio show Monday saying that he was the most impressive player he saw on his camp tour of the Bucs and said that he very much reminded him of Graham when he saw him before others knew about him. I think there are a lot of people sleeping on him and focused on guys like Ebron and Amaro but this kid has the skills and opportunity and is a great keeper imo. What do you expect from him for this season? 400/5-6 reasonable?

I have heard nothing but good things coming out of camp but then I put the tape in and he looks plodding. I drafted him very early in my rookie draft this year but tbh I'm a little concerned. If he is going to be a difference maker offensively he needs to be more explosive than what I've seen so far. I'm crossing my fingers. If he hits he could be the next great TE.........

Thoughts on ASJ now? Seems moving Wright to NE is a vote of confidence that he is going to take over sooner rather than later. No other TE on the roster can threaten in the passing game like he can. I even heard Adam Caplan talking about him on a radio show Monday saying that he was the most impressive player he saw on his camp tour of the Bucs and said that he very much reminded him of Graham when he saw him before others knew about him. I think there are a lot of people sleeping on him and focused on guys like Ebron and Amaro but this kid has the skills and opportunity and is a great keeper imo. What do you expect from him for this season? 400/5-6 reasonable?
Yes, but how do you figure to start those numbers...meaning, one day, he will rip off 7-85-1...how do you pick that week. The way I see it, he is Jace Amaro, except Amaro does not have a V-Jax and Evans to contend with...nor a Martin in the running game. In fact, I see what you project as VERY reasonable, but how do you figure to insert the guy when he inevitably gets 20% of his overall numbers in 1-2 weeks?

Yes, but how do you figure to start those numbers...meaning, one day, he will rip off 7-85-1...how do you pick that week. The way I see it, he is Jace Amaro, except Amaro does not have a V-Jax and Evans to contend with...nor a Martin in the running game. In fact, I see what you project as VERY reasonable, but how do you figure to insert the guy when he inevitably gets 20% of his overall numbers in 1-2 weeks?
True. I guess I see that as his floor for this year and more importantly, a great keeper that will really emerge as a force in 2015. Plus, I actually see VJax and Evans on the outsides as an advantage not a disadvantage and would rather have that than what Amaro is running out there. Ebron probably better. The point is, teams can't focus on the middle between the hashes with that kind of talent outside so it's 1 on 1 with an LB for ASJ and he will win that matchup a lot, particularly in the RZ. His yardage may be pretty low his first year but I wouldn't be shocked if he put up 8+ TDs. 12 VJax/10 Evans/8 ASJ is only 30 total. I think McCown/Glennon can easily put up a combined 30 for Tampa this year so not really reaching imo.

will be marcedes lewis-esque for FF.
Austin Seferian-Jenkins making 'eye-popping plays with regularity'

Buccaneers rookie tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins only has four preseason catches, but in camp he "has made eye-popping plays with regularity," reports CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora. The 6-5, 262-pounder, however, remains behind Brandon Myers on the depth chart.

This guy is gonna be a stud. He is a gamechanger!

Does anyone know the play on which ASJ got hurt? Wondering about whether he is worth holding in redraft. An ankle injury for a big guy like that could be a problem, and if he is missing practice as a rookie TE, that will not be good.

What say you SP?

ASJ has big opportunity (played almost every down week 4) especially with Evans out a few games. He looked good and was targeted often, making some pretty flashy displays including a long catch to put TB in striking distance for the game winner. Obviously a huge red zone target, one would expect a few tds, perhaps as early as this week away vs NO. Should be a garbage time feast. I think he'll be very startable soon given the chaotic TE landscape.

What say you SP?

ASJ has big opportunity (played almost every down week 4) especially with Evans out a few games. He looked good and was targeted often, making some pretty flashy displays including a long catch to put TB in striking distance for the game winner. Obviously a huge red zone target, one would expect a few tds, perhaps as early as this week away vs NO. Should be a garbage time feast. I think he'll be very startable soon given the chaotic TE landscape.
With Evans sidelined he could see more targets. Glennon loved going to Tim Wright last season.

ETA: Glennon definitely has some timing with ASJ also. They hooked up on a nice out route where Glennon rifled a pass toward the sideline before ASJ had even made his break. I think it was on a 2nd and 20? Gain of 19. Huge play in the game and a great throw/catch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be Crazy to roll this guy over Ertz. But I see garbage time point and targets in favor of ASJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
rotoworld
Austin Seferian-Jenkins (foot) is expected to play a significant role in Sunday's game against the Saints.
Coach Lovie Smith reiterated that Seferian-Jenkins suffered no setbacks as he played 71-of-71 snaps in Week 4. He barely practiced all week, but that looks like a case of the training staff managing the rookie's injury. ASJ carries risk as he's likely not 100 percent, but he has tons of upside as an athletic freak operating without Mike Evans (groin) in a potential shootout.

Starting for me this week as Reed sits again and Daniels didn't get it done last week. Hope to catch lightning in a bottle.

Hard to imagine a way that a TE could hurt his team more than ASJ has today. Three balls he should've caught, all hit the turf (one a really, really awful drop) and now a big dumb penalty to take away a big play by another player.

Rotoworld:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Buccaneers

Austin Seferian-Jenkins played on 61-of-64 snaps in Sunday's loss at New Orleans.

It looked like ASJ could have been a big part of the pass game, but he dropped his first two targets and finished with 1-11-0 on three targets. The good news is that the foot doesn't appear to be a major issue. We're not giving up on Seferian-Jenkins as a TE2 with upside as long as Mike Evans (groin) remains sidelined.

Source: profootballfocus.com

Oct 6 - 12:10 PM

Picked him up because of the hype, but thankfully didn't start him (I have Kelce). For those looking for a TE in his stead, how about Ebron from Detroit? It looks like Mega will be out week 6.

Rotoworld:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins caught five passes for 30 yards and one touchdown in

ASJ was targeted nine times. He cashed in from one yard away for his second career touchdown. But also took a dumb penalty by using the football as a prop in his end-zone celebration, costing the team 15 yards. ASJ remains a mid-range TE2 with a much higher ceiling that we likely won't see until 2015.

Nov 9 - 5:47 PM

When i watch him the first thing that jumps out is how big he is. If the Bucs let V-Jax go this could be the Evans/ASJ show. He's got a decent amount of upside moving forward because of the redzone possibilities.

For those who have watched him this year, how does he look? Do you see someone that has a chance to be an elite pass catching tight-end and red-zone threat, and is simply raw and in a bad offense?

Have been watching some as I own him and Evans in dynasty. Seems to be a great blocker and stays on the field virtually 100% of snaps. Big, physical, with adequate speed. Doesn't burn people but with his size and solid leaping ability doesn't really need to. He's already getting targeted plenty and if Bucs get Jameis or a similarly talented QB in the draft he could eventually be a 10+ TD type guy imo.

Does he look a little heavy to anybody else? I would love to see him lose 10-15 pounds. It might help him be more explosive. I could see him being a 10+ TD/year TE in the future as well. He's had some drops this year but his hands looked great in college so hopefully it's just him settling in.

Rotoworld:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Buccaneers

New Bucs OC Dirk Koetter mentioned Austin Seferian-Jenkins when discussing the talent he now has on offense.

It would have been easy heap praise on Mike Evans/Vincent Jackson and gloss over a tight end who posted a meager 21-221-2 line last season. But Koetter, who coached Tony Gonzalez in Atlanta for two seasons, is well aware of the skill set Seferian-Jenkins possesses. This is a 6'5/262 mountain of a man with 4.56 speed, giving the next Bucs' quarterback (likely Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota) a massive catch radius. ASJ is a candidate to take a big step forward as a NFL sophomore.

Source: Pewter Report

Jan 22 - 9:01 AM

Rotoworld:

Pewter Report's Scott Reynolds expects second-year TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins to be a "featured weapon" in the Bucs offense.
New Bucs OC Dirk Koetter has traditionally been successful utilizing tight ends. Mercedes Lewis had his best season as a pro under Koetter in Jacksonville, and Koetter fed the ball to Tony Gonzalez in Atlanta. Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans will soak up their share of targets outside, but Seferian-Jenkins has the frame and athleticism to dominate over the middle. With the tight end position as weak as ever, second-year players like Seferian-Jenkins and Lions TE Eric Ebron could easily be top-ten options in 2015.

Source: Pewter Report
Mar 21 - 10:23 AM

Rotoworld:

The Bucs reportedly believe a healthy Austin Seferian-Jenkins can produce 60 or more catches.
Seferian-Jenkins hobbled his way to just 21 catches as a rookie, but the Bucs aren't worried. They added nothing to their tight end room in free agency and new OC Dirk Koetter has a history of maximizing talent at the position. Seferian-Jenkins should be running free down the middle of the field a ton with Mike Evans/Vincent Jackson soaking up attention, and is a massive red-zone target at 6'5/262. ASJ is a sneaky breakout candidate.

Source: ESPN.com
Apr 2 - 10:59 AM

Rotoworld:

The Bucs reportedly believe a healthy Austin Seferian-Jenkins can produce 60 or more catches.
Seferian-Jenkins hobbled his way to just 21 catches as a rookie, but the Bucs aren't worried. They added nothing to their tight end room in free agency and new OC Dirk Koetter has a history of maximizing talent at the position. Seferian-Jenkins should be running free down the middle of the field a ton with Mike Evans/Vincent Jackson soaking up attention, and is a massive red-zone target at 6'5/262. ASJ is a sneaky breakout candidate.

Source: ESPN.com
Apr 2 - 10:59 AM
Hope so. The wasteland of TE options after the obvious top 4-5 has me begging for some new TE talent and the draft doesn't look too fruitful right now.

The Bucs have some serious receiving weapons and should now have a QB who can get them the ball. I really wish they'd fix their line so we could see what they can do with time to operate.

Users who are viewing this thread