What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Avoid Thursday Night Players? (1 Viewer)

chihawk

Footballguy
Last week's game was just brutal for anyone except maybe the defenses. One of the commentators made some statement about the short week pretty much eliminating most of the preparation for the game...a lot of player won't even get any practice time in before the game. I could definitely see that being a problem in getting your players prepared for any specific plays designed for that week's game plan.

It will be interesting to see if that tends to hold true or if last week's game was just an ugly game.

Last week's game was just brutal for anyone except maybe the defenses. One of the commentators made some statement about the short week pretty much eliminating most of the preparation for the game...a lot of player won't even get any practice time in before the game. I could definitely see that being a problem in getting your players prepared for any specific plays designed for that week's game plan.It will be interesting to see if that tends to hold true or if last week's game was just an ugly game.
Same amount of time for offense and defense.

I do agree, offense & Defense do have the same amt of time, but here is one thing to consider:

The offense has to execute, and their main advantage is that they know where the offensive play is going while the defense doesnt.

for a Defense, it's mostly read & react. Dont get me wrong, I know the D will have set plays for a specific offense too and those will be reduced but not to the degree as it would for the offense.

for an offense it is all about execution. Especially when you rely on timing patterns etc. There are some plays where if you execute correctly it likely wouldnt even matter if the Defense knew what the play call was.

So as an offense you are not going to be able to practice as many of those plays designed for a specific defense.

I would say this gives the D a slight advantage. Not sure that this advantage is enough to make me bench my starters, but it is a small advantage nonetheless.

At the end of the day the net result will probably be more sloppy play, more offsides, false starts and time count penalties.

If I were to give anyone a real advantage, I would think it would be for the team with more talent. Prep time & a good game plan can allow a less talented team to keep up with a more talented one. The short week can hinder some of that.

Interesting idea. I've been planning to trot out LaFell tonight but if we're expecting a sloppy slugfest, perhaps he'd be better off riding pine. Great matchup, though...

Cam's first primetime game? Defending Super Bowl champs in the house?

Still think he has a ton of shownoat/ego ... and has had this one circled for quite some time.

BOOM.

I picked up Tynes just because he is playing tonight and gives me more skin in the game. I don't think there's that much to be made of the short week.

Interesting premise. I took a quick look at some stats to see if they show much difference, comparing Thursday games, to Sunday games, to Monday games.

I limited it to weeks 10-16 (the weeks there are Thursday games) so the seasonal weather is equal. I eliminated overtime games because only Sunday had any and so they had extra time to accumulate stats.

Passing yards is team gross passing yards, so like our fantasy passing yards does not have sack yards subtracted as normal team passing stats do.

Passing averages:

Thursday: 223.6ypg, 1.1 TDs, 0.9 Ints, 2.8 times sacked.

Monday: 277.4ypg, 1.7 TDS, 0.9 Ints, 1.7 times sacked.

Sunday: 282.5ypg, 1.4 TDs, 1.0 Ints, 2.0 times sacked.

Rushing averages:

Thursday: 112.9ypg on 27.4 carries with 0.5 TDs.

Monday: 118.8ypg on 26.6 carries with 0.9 TDs.

Sunday: 143.6ypg on 31.4 carries with 1.1 TDs.

Thursday sees a big drop off in passing yards and increase in number of times sacked. Rushing yards and TDs also drop off for Thursday. MNF see rushing yards drop as well.

Then I eyeballed the teams to see if scheduling might be having an effect. Just eyeballing the Thursday vs Monday night I don't see a glaring difference with the bad teams who played. Both have about 20% of the NFl cellar dwellers as participants.

But, the Monday night matchups have a lot higher percentage of the potent passing offenses. Thursday's 18 participating teams contained 5 appearances by top 8 passing offenses, or 29%. Monday night, 7 out of 14 participating teams were top 8 passing offenses. So fully 50% of MNF participants were potent passing offenses. So that would probably be a big contributing factor.

Interesting premise. I took a quick look at some stats to see if they show much difference, comparing Thursday games, to Sunday games, to Monday games.I limited it to weeks 10-16 (the weeks there are Thursday games) so the seasonal weather is equal. I eliminated overtime games because only Sunday had any and so they had extra time to accumulate stats.Passing yards is team gross passing yards, so like our fantasy passing yards does not have sack yards subtracted as normal team passing stats do.Passing averages:Thursday: 223.6ypg, 1.1 TDs, 0.9 Ints, 2.8 times sacked.Monday: 277.4ypg, 1.7 TDS, 0.9 Ints, 1.7 times sacked.Sunday: 282.5ypg, 1.4 TDs, 1.0 Ints, 2.0 times sacked.Rushing averages:Thursday: 112.9ypg on 27.4 carries with 0.5 TDs.Monday: 118.8ypg on 26.6 carries with 0.9 TDs.Sunday: 143.6ypg on 31.4 carries with 1.1 TDs.Thursday sees a big drop off in passing yards and increase in number of times sacked. Rushing yards and TDs also drop off for Thursday. MNF see rushing yards drop as well. Then I eyeballed the teams to see if scheduling might be having an effect. Just eyeballing the Thursday vs Monday night I don't see a glaring difference with the bad teams who played. Both have about 20% of the NFl cellar dwellers as participants.But, the Monday night matchups have a lot higher percentage of the potent passing offenses. Thursday's 18 participating teams contained 5 appearances by top 8 passing offenses, or 29%. Monday night, 7 out of 14 participating teams were top 8 passing offenses. So fully 50% of MNF participants were potent passing offenses. So that would probably be a big contributing factor.
Fantastically :goodposting:Those are some very interesting data.

Thanks Greg for all the info.

The other factor that you wouldn't be able to account for is having Thursday night games at the beginning of the season. I guess it could be a good or a bad thing. Since it's the beginning of the season, the teams have had less time to gel and get all their game specific plays fully practiced (which may be less of a concern later in the season). But the teams are fresher at the beginning of the season, so recovering from Sunday to Thursday shouldn't be as bad as in November/December.

This is the first year we have Thursday night games from the start of the season, so we will just have to wait and see what kind of an impact it will have. Obviously the first week's Thursday game wouldn't really play into this since they had as much time as they wanted to prepare for that one.

Great thread. Intuitively I'd guess all things being equal the offense has the advantage over defense by quite a bit. Last week wwould indicate otherwise, however.

Interesting premise. I took a quick look at some stats to see if they show much difference, comparing Thursday games, to Sunday games, to Monday games.I limited it to weeks 10-16 (the weeks there are Thursday games) so the seasonal weather is equal. I eliminated overtime games because only Sunday had any and so they had extra time to accumulate stats.Passing yards is team gross passing yards, so like our fantasy passing yards does not have sack yards subtracted as normal team passing stats do.Passing averages:Thursday: 223.6ypg, 1.1 TDs, 0.9 Ints, 2.8 times sacked.Monday: 277.4ypg, 1.7 TDS, 0.9 Ints, 1.7 times sacked.Sunday: 282.5ypg, 1.4 TDs, 1.0 Ints, 2.0 times sacked.Rushing averages:Thursday: 112.9ypg on 27.4 carries with 0.5 TDs.Monday: 118.8ypg on 26.6 carries with 0.9 TDs.Sunday: 143.6ypg on 31.4 carries with 1.1 TDs.Thursday sees a big drop off in passing yards and increase in number of times sacked. Rushing yards and TDs also drop off for Thursday. MNF see rushing yards drop as well. Then I eyeballed the teams to see if scheduling might be having an effect. Just eyeballing the Thursday vs Monday night I don't see a glaring difference with the bad teams who played. Both have about 20% of the NFl cellar dwellers as participants.But, the Monday night matchups have a lot higher percentage of the potent passing offenses. Thursday's 18 participating teams contained 5 appearances by top 8 passing offenses, or 29%. Monday night, 7 out of 14 participating teams were top 8 passing offenses. So fully 50% of MNF participants were potent passing offenses. So that would probably be a big contributing factor.
Very well done. Out of curiosity what caused you to look at top 8 vs top 5 or 10?I'd like to see a refresh of this data about midway through the year. What site/tool did you use for this? I'd say this is article worthy.

Very well done. Out of curiosity what caused you to look at top 8 vs top 5 or 10?I'd like to see a refresh of this data about midway through the year. What site/tool did you use for this? I'd say this is article worthy.
I just often tend to think in groups of 8 when I'm trying to group the NFL. That way each group of 8 represents 25% of the NFL. If we expand it to top 10 then Thursdays pick up 2 more top passing offenses (PIT and PHI) and Mondays pick up one more (PIT). So Thursday would be 7 out 18 and Monday would be 8 out of 14.If I really wanted to do this up right... I think I would probably start with each team's average offense output adjusted for opponents, and what each team's defense allows on average adjusted for opponents. And then see how they do on Thursdays vs Mondays vs Sundays again taking their opponent into account.That'll have to wait for offseason though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went ahead and emailed this to my opponent and recommended he bench Eli and Cruz if he wants any chance of beating me this week.

I picked up Tynes and played him right after I read Clifford's comment lol. My opponent started Bennett and is absolutely fuming that Tynes outscored him. I also sat LaFell as a gut shot call, couldn't be happier.

it obv needs to be compared to the teams avg, and the def avg. its far from conclusive.

On Thursday night, only start player whose name's start with an "A"...

...and end with

"ndre Brown" :thumbup:

I hate Thursday games so far. last week I got to watch gb def score 24 puts on me and was a huge part in my loss. this week I got too watch some scrub named Andre brown score 26 on me and puts me in a huge whole...not to mention the games have been horrid to watch...

I hate Thursday games so far. last week I got to watch gb def score 24 puts on me and wasa, huge part in my loss. this week I got too watch done scrub named Andre brown score 26 on me and puts me in a huge whole...not to mention the games have been horrid to watch...
Ah, at least it happened in Week 3 instead of week 14 or 15 when some RB you never knew of comes in and does this to your playoff game.

I hate Thursday games so far. last week I got to watch gb def score 24 puts on me and wasa, huge part in my loss. this week I got too watch done scrub named Andre brown score 26 on me and puts me in a huge whole...not to mention the games have been horrid to watch...
Ah, at least it happened in Week 3 instead of week 14 or 15 when some RB you never knew of comes in and does this to your playoff game.
true. but at this rate I wont make the playoffs. my team is underperforming and I have the most points against by a large margin. not a good combo...

Thanks for breaking this down. Torrey sure played well tonight though! (I think he was getting all of Pitta's targets this week lol)

I noticed a lot of people overvalue thursday night players in fanduel. Probably because they want more incentive to watch the only game of the night.

Perhaps they will have stinkers from time to time, but studs stink it up on Sundays sometimes as well. I started Torrey and Trent with confidence last night and it paid off.

Well, only got 17.6 from Rice, his worst of the year so far, and first time under 20, but, I can live with that. Thursday doesn't scare me any more than Sunday or Monday does.

Users who are viewing this thread