What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Back ups and spare parts at RB (1 Viewer)

Mr Non Sequitur

Footballguy
Just an inventory and working list with some quick thoughts.

Arizona: Feels like Mendenhall is going to be the starter there and maybe Ryan Williams will be worked in if he can stay healthy. I would say Williams has a lot of speculation or speculative attributes but until he can actually stay on the field there is very little to get excited about. Add in a questionable OL and there is not huge reason to roster this guy in redrafts except that Mendenhall is not likely to get all the touches so we go back to square one.

Atlanta: I like Quizz a lot in 2013. He has a solid RB1 beside him, look for Rodgers to maintain his 3rd down role, something he did very well with last season. Lack of a solid WR3 is going to keep Rodgers on the field. Jackson can't carry the ball much more than 18-20 times a game and I don't believe they will load him up with 300 carries. Quizz should see 10-12 touches a game, he already had about 50 receptions last season so he has a role on this team. I think he makes a solid RB3 in most PPR leagues, will be a flex option on those dreaded bye weeks in the middle of our season. He is being drafted pretty late and I think he has top 25-30 potential in PPR leagues. This is a spare part I want in my toolbox on Sundays.

Baltimore: Bernard Pierce sure looks the part. How long can they keep him to just a handful of touches per game? You likely could never start him even 1 time during the season as long as Ray Rice is healthy. Could Pierce make enough waves to crack the top 30 in a reserve roll? 600 yds, 4 TD on only 125 carries.

Buffalo: Fred Jackson will be 32.5 years old when the season starts. While he doesn't have the wear and tear of many, he seems likely to continue getting hurt as many do when they age at RB. Heart of a lion, love his passion but the wheels have to come off at some time. I'm down on the Bills OL right now as well. Someone will take him and pound their chest in redraft leagues but it won't be me.

Carolina: DeAngelo Williams is 30 years old, looked like he lost a step last season, owners never have any idea what he might do although it usually is a lot of air dip and wind pudding as of late. It's always nice to open this romantic tale at some point in the draft and remember the good times in 2008 but his best days are behind him and the panthers know it too, pay cut was handed down.

Chicago: Michael Bush(29) is always interesting but the new coaching staff scares me some. Bush was 46th last season but mostly he was useless. Owners envisioned a 2 back attack but that did not materialize. Outside of the Matt Forte owners there isn't a lot of to entice most here.

Cincinnati: Depends on what you believe. If we want to say Bernard is the RB2 here to start the season then I say he is one of the juiciest spare parts on the whole list. I expect Bernard to settle into a 12-18 touch weekly effort depending on the match up and how the game is going. If we speak of BJGE as the RB2, I am less interested. If Bernard is your RB3 in the 7th/8th round in a PPR, you just committed grand larceny.

Cleveland Browns: Montario Hardesty is about as big a gap in talent from the RB1 to the RB2 as we have seen so far. He has been admirable in service and spot play but I have no interest in him unless maybe last round and I owned Trent Richardson, even then maybe not.

Dallas: Joseph Randle? Not sure of the pecking order here just yet and the OL continues to underwhelm most of us.

Denver: Check back when we actually have the correct order and also who is actually on the team. Montee Ball starting to look like a clear path to the starting role. Maybe Elway can convince Fox of the need for an every down back who is the bonafide RB1.

Detroit: Reggie Bush is starting. LeShoure or Bell? I am interested because of Bush missing some time here and there. high powered offense, always good to have a spare part from a team that actually can score a lot. Anyone with insight into this please post below.

Green Bay: Franklin is the back up here right? We might need to settle that but I am definitely interested in Franklin if he initially is the RB2 here. I would also have an interest in Lacy if he were not the RB1 but I believe initially they are going to wheel them out in those roles. Starks and Green are not int he picture any more, would look for them to land on other teams.

Houston: Ben Tate is always a hot commodity. In 2011 he had almost 1,000 yards backing up Foster. He is going to leave the Texans I would imagine but that is not going to be in 2013.

Indianapolis: Have we given the starting job to Ballard too soon? Could Donald Brown get int he mix there before it is all said and done? Even if he did manage to become the starter there seems to be little upside to him.

Jacksonville: Justin Forsett will not see the field very often. I actually like Denard Robinson to become some sort of hybrid RB2/Slot WR although the pay off won't be all that much.

Kansas City: Shaun Draughn is battling injuries right now, I am high on Knile Davis and I think he will become the COP back here. I also have never seen Reid really support a 2 back system but if Charles went down we could see one of these guys become an instant pick up. You should at least familiarize yourself with these guys.

Miami Dolphins: This one is interesting. Has Lamar Miller actually been named the starter yet? Daniel Thomas? I don't see much with Thomas so I actually will mention Mike Gillislee as someone you want to follow in camps and just keep an eye on. Doubt highly he would be the starter but one of the other guys goes down and he will see some time pretty quick. He also is a solid pass protector and has good hands which should earn him 3rd down duties quickly/immediately.

Minnesota: What happened to all those touches Toby Gerhart was going to get last season?

New England: Shane Vereen garners a lot of talk. Danny Woodhead is gone, he was a spare part that actually had a role at times on this team.

New Orleans: Mark Ingram is getting a lot of buzz but has he beat out Pierre Thomas yet? Ivory is gone, Ingram is going around RB32 off the board. Thomas catches the ball pretty well and that's why he starts ahead of Ingram IMO, how does that change in 2013?

New York Jets: Mike Goodson will likely settle into the RB2 role here. He was a solid guy in Carolina and many thought he might become a feature back on another team. He struck out in Oakland largely on injury but I expect him to see a significantly bigger role here in New York. I like Ivory to win the job but whoever is the RB2 will likely see some action with an inexperienced RB1 starting.

New York Giants: Andre Brown might come in handy with a lot of folks still skeptical of David Wilson as the full time back. Brown is a decent spare part to have around and if Wilson fumbles a couple times you could see a lot of Brown especially at the goal line where he could easily rack up 8-10 TD but then again he showed us he could do that last year. In TD heavy leagues he is worth a lot more.

Oakland: When does McFadden ever finish an entire season? Rashad Jennings will see the field and even though he was a disappointment last year in Jax I am thinking he might see some significant playing time in Oakland and in the end isn't that one of the things we are looking for in the spare parts section?

Philadelphia: Bryce Brown has the attention of many. I look for the Eagles to run a lot out of the spread. Oregon ran the ball a lot, plenty of touches to go around here. McCoy is the clear starter and winner but Brown is a guy you want to keep away from the McCoy owner if you can. He could see 150-200 touches including receptions where I see something in the neighborhood of 30-40.

Pittsburgh: Dwyer? The running game in Pittsburgh ain't what it used to be.

St Louis: We need a pecking order here but let's assume it comes down to Richardson and Stacy for the RB1 and Pead as the RB2. If it rolls out as Pead in the CoP role then I like him a lot as a possible RB3/RB4 for owners. I see 1 back getting 15+ carries at some point and then a CoP back to bridge the gap and also be there for 3rd down and passing situations. Pead could be a very nice spare part if he advances his game in 2013.

San Diego: Don't forget about Danny Woodhead here. he will be the 3rd down back and see some action in the running game at times as well. Definitely a spare part you can grab and possible plug in for bye weeks. Very little investment needed here.

San Francisco: I am high on LaMichael James. I know Gore is the RB1 but there is room here for a breakout CoP type for 3rd downs and also to get a few carries a game to try and exploit the speed here. I would be interested in James at his ADp of mid teen rounds, I'l be happy to spend an 11th or 12th round pick on him as my RB4 with bigger ideas planned. I think his stock will move up. We can discuss Kendall Hunter and he might still take the Gore role at some point but I see James carving out a role that owners can live with.

Seattle: Love Turbin and Christine but they are not going to see the field much.

Tampa Bay: Mike James? This is what makes Martin so good of a pick, he literally has nothing to steal from him.

Tennessee: Shonn Greene has to be someone you at least take a look at with the improvements they have on the OL. Not likely he beats out Chris Johnson but he could see a few TDs around the goal line if Tennessee ever makes it into the red zone.

Washington: No one is even drafting a back up in Washington, I find that funny on a Mike Shanahan team. I am not a big Alfred Morris fan so I will be keeping an eye on how Roy Helu looks coming back form injury.

Indianapolis: Have we given the starting job to Ballard too soon?
We didn't. His Head Coach did.

Coach Chuck Pagano confirmed that Vick Ballard is "sitting there as the lead guy" in his backfield.
Pagano was quick to add that Donald Brown "looks fantastic" and is a "home run hitter." But for now, the Colts are planning on rolling with Ballard as their feature back and Brown as the change-of-pace option. Both figure to see a bigger role in the passing game as the vertical-minded Bruce Arians is out and the West Coast scheme of Pep Hamilton is in.

Montee Ball could be a nice value in redraft leagues. Moreno is crap and Hillman doesn't look like a starter. Ball isn't great, but he doesn't have to be. This offense can produce a top 10 FF RB on opportunity alone, like Moreno down the stretch last year or Addai on the Colts.

I think Lacy is the best back on the Packers and there's really no reason why he can't rush for 1200 yards next year. The downside is that he isn't a great weapon in the passing game and Green Bay will continue to be a pass-first team.

From a dynasty standpoint, I think there's a minor probability that Stepfan Taylor becomes the starter in Arizona by 2014. Mendy is on a one year deal, Williams has been completely brittle in the NFL, and Ellington is more of a COOP back. For the price of a 3rd-4th round rookie pick, Taylor could potentially give you a small bump like Ballard last year. I think if you lock up the Taylor/Mendy duo you've got a decent shot at RB2 production next season.

I don't like Joseph Randle or Latavius Murray, but anyone behind Murray or McFadden has a chance to get some games as a starter.

I think Bryce Brown could have a bigger role than anticipated. I don't see him being a weekly starting option unless McCoy gets hurt though.

Indianapolis: Have we given the starting job to Ballard too soon?
We didn't. His Head Coach did.

>

Coach Chuck Pagano confirmed that Vick Ballard is "sitting there as the lead guy" in his backfield.
Pagano was quick to add that Donald Brown "looks fantastic" and is a "home run hitter." But for now, the Colts are planning on rolling with Ballard as their feature back and Brown as the change-of-pace option. Both figure to see a bigger role in the passing game as the vertical-minded Bruce Arians is out and the West Coast scheme of Pep Hamilton is in.
As someone who interprets words for a living, I find "he's sitting there as the lead guy" pretty weak, especially given the high praise he goes on to accord Brown. "sitting there" doesn't sound like he is a solid starter. He's sitting there...until he gets hurt? Sitting there until Brown hits a few home runs? How many home runs until Ballard is "sitting there on the bench"? Look, we can parse coach speak all we want but this is hardly a settled line up.

Anyone think Bradshaw could land somewhere on here? Seems like a lot of weak RB2s on teams.
If the Jets are able to get out of the signing bonus paid to Goodson I can see Bradshaw ending up there. Other potential landing spots: Indy, San Diego or Tampa Bay - all have needs for a solid RB2 (or better).

Alex Green...while he does not have a ton of value at this point...is not out of the picture in GB just yet.

Oakland: When does McFadden ever finish an entire season? Rashad Jennings will see the field and even though he was a disappointment last year in Jax I am thinking he might see some significant playing time in Oakland and in the end isn't that one of the things we are looking for in the spare parts section?
101 carries for 280 yards last season? Nineteen catches for a buck-thirty? Pass. Marcel Reece is far and away a better fallback option IMO. He caught 52 balls last year and may be the best after-the-catch runner in the league who's listed as a fullback. He won't be the bell-cow guy even when D-Mac goes down, but he can tote the rock a little bit too.

Seattle: Love Turbin and Christine but they are not going to see the field much.
Don't count Turbin out just yet. With a year of experience under RW3's belt, I think Carroll opens up the passing game a little more this year, and while Lynch will get a few more grabs, Turbin should see an increased role here too. He got 99 touches in 2012 and I'd be very surprised not to see that number increase next season.

Kansas City: Shaun Draughn is battling injuries right now, I am high on Knile Davis and I think he will become the COP back here. I also have never seen Reid really support a 2 back system but if Charles went down we could see one of these guys become an instant pick up. You should at least familiarize yourself with these guys.

So is Cyrus Gray not even worth mentioning?

Some guys that intrigue me for one reason or another:

Ronnie Wingo: size/speed package with good hands and I am not impressed with Quizz

I see the poster above me mentioned Cyrus Gray who I think fits Reid's offense

Dion Lewis for those Hardesty non-believers. Loved what I saw from Lewis albeit in very small doses

Michael Smith in Tampa seems to be well under radar

Surprised to not see more in this thread. Doesn't everyone have a favorite back-up RB?
And the Crabtree injury today should be a loud reminder for folks that things can change on a dime. Some of these names on this list are going to be a part of the mix at different times during the season and you need to be ready for it.

With Boldin gone and no replacement near his skill in sight, we could see more Bernard Pierce than people expect. I could see him getting more carries while Rice gets more catches out of the backfield.

Joseph Randle should start at least a handful of games for the Cowboys behind an improved o-line and supported by a nice passing attack.

Ronnie Hillman or Knowshon Moreno will be in a good position if Montee Ball can't hack it.

If Lynch's DUI causes a suspension Turbin should be a great start could carve out a bigger role anyway with his passing game ability.

Great thread, list and analysis OP.

The cheap spare part rookie RBs I am targeting are typically available in the 3rd round of rookie drafts - Latavius, Taylor and Gillislee, but a couple have started sneaking into the 2nd round of some of my drafts. A couple what-the-heck super-late guys are Burkhead and Kerwynn Williams in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Cheap spare part non-rookie RBs - Bilal Powell and Da'Rel Scott, given Ivory, Goodsen and Brown's historical injury histories.

Anyone think Bradshaw could land somewhere on here? Seems like a lot of weak RB2s on teams.
I saw Murray is already dealing with injuries in the e-mail yesterday. I think Bradshaw and Beanie each land somewhere interesting. I think Dallas would be a great spot for Beanie. It would allow Murray to slide into his more natural role of 3rd down/CoP back which could keep him healthy while Beanie handles the early downs. I still think Bradshaw would be awesome in Indy, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

That was a great breakdown, though. The players I'm most excited about/interested in are (in no particular order):

Pierce - has the talent and offense to thrive. Ray Rice has to be getting worn down, right?

Tate - same reasoning as Pierce, but probably an even more talented runner

D.Brown - contract year, not sold on Ballard

Goodson - if he clears this legal trouble; possibly more talented than Ivory and Ivory can't stay healthy

A.Brown - not ready to blindly jump on the Wilson bandwagon

Also very interested in how things in Mia, Pit, and Den shakeout. Much like Wilson, I'm not sold on Miller. I don't doubt both could be good, but I tend to go the opposite way of mass hype hysteria. As for Pit and Den, it is wise to keep an eye on motivated vets competing with rookies. Both Dwyer and Moreno will be free agents in 2014.

I might snag Gerhart at the end of some redrafts. I am wary of ADP this year. He's got a lot of hard miles and his stock has peaked. That seems to be when catastrophe strikes. The offensive line is solid in Minnesota and Gerhart is a 3 down back. Should ADP go down, I really think he'll produce low end RB1 numbers due to his receptions.

I saw Murray is already dealing with injuries in the e-mail yesterday. I think Bradshaw and Beanie each land somewhere interesting. I think Dallas would be a great spot for Beanie. It would allow Murray to slide into his more natural role of 3rd down/CoP back which could keep him healthy while Beanie handles the early downs. I still think Bradshaw would be awesome in Indy, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

That was a great breakdown, though. The players I'm most excited about/interested in are (in no particular order):

Pierce - has the talent and offense to thrive. Ray Rice has to be getting worn down, right?

Goodson - if he clears this legal trouble; possibly more talented than Ivory and Ivory can't stay healthy

Also very interested in how things in Mia, Pit, and Den shakeout. Much like Wilson, I'm not sold on Miller. I don't doubt both could be good, but I tend to go the opposite way of mass hype hysteria. As for Pit and Den, it is wise to keep an eye on motivated vets competing with rookies. Both Dwyer and Moreno will be free agents in 2014.

I might snag Gerhart at the end of some redrafts. I am wary of ADP this year. He's got a lot of hard miles and his stock has peaked. That seems to be when catastrophe strikes. The offensive line is solid in Minnesota and Gerhart is a 3 down back. Should ADP go down, I really think he'll produce low end RB1 numbers due to his receptions.
Bolded = yeah going agains tthe grain is all fine and dandy, but the guys are backups for a reason, guys like beanie and bradshaw are not on teams yet for a reason. I notice a trend with you on how you always seem to like the Blounts of the world even though a team drafts a Doug Martin.

Bolded = yeah going agains tthe grain is all fine and dandy, but the guys are backups for a reason, guys like beanie and bradshaw are not on teams yet for a reason. I notice a trend with you on how you always seem to like the Blounts of the world even though a team drafts a Doug Martin.
What's the problem? You know what that cost me? I don't remember, but I think probably quite a few wasted 15th round picks. Sure, I didn't draft Martin, but I also didn't draft Jahvid Best a couple years ago. I must admit, I did draft Ingram in one league his rookie year, but I mostly passed on that hype train, although I think he's reach value status now. I've never drafted Felix Jones or DeMarco Murray. All in all, avoiding the SP hysteria has been a good policy. Remember the Beanie Wells hype train after Warner retired? That was a good one.

People who drafted Drew Bees even though his team drafted a Phillip Rivers did ok. Those who drafted DeAngelo Williams did ok even though his team drafted a Jonathan Stewart.

If you want to jump on hype trains, go for it. It will always be easy to find people who agree with you. And you'll have plenty of allies to jump on people who prefer to pass on the hype.

As for the "the guys are backups for a reason"... yes, of course this is true. But your statement implies that you are foolishly assuming all backups are backups solely because they have less talent. In the case of Dwyer, it is pretty well known that he is a backup because he's fat and lazy. Well, this year he's motivated and in shape. Worth a flyer? Possibly.

Couple of situations I'm monitoring, where the 3rd string and lower is unlikely to be rostered in my league.

Chicago - new system, is Bush a fit? If Bush or Forte get hurt, who steps up? Anyone know anything about Armando Allen?

San Diego - McCoy is known for working with what he's got, but long-term, are any of the guys after Mathews and Woodhead going to do much? I picked up Joique Bell, a Harlan Hill trophy winner, last year and he OK with my scoring system. Maybe a H.H. Trophy runner-up (Michael Hill) might make some noise in a year or two.

Don't think either of these situations would be a gold mine, but if your RB depth is poor like mine and have a deep roster, might be worth a shot.

I really like either Taylor or Ellington, the two rookies in AZ. I think that there is a very good chance one of them will get a chance to start at some point this season, and they both have potential to hang onto the job once they get a shot. Mendenhall has never been great and never seemed to recover his burst last year. Williams is injured more than healthy and has yet to do anything in the NFL--I doubt the team would have drafted two rookie RBs if they had faith in Williams.

Jets - probably Powell now, but I don't roster handcuff's with flex upside if called upon

Pats - I like Ridley more this year than I have any Pats RB in I don't know how long, but behind him is a mess. Vereen is logical, but I expect a messy unpredictable time share per usual for the Pats, flex upside. Not bothering.

Dolphins - old regime drafted Daniel Thomas, Gillislee is the handcuff here. Last pick in deep league's only though.

Bills - If I draft Spiller, I want Fred Jackson, but I won't pick him before the last few rounds...if I get sniped I'll wait for him to be dropped then pick him up

Browns - no handcuff here, but watch Dion Lewis, hand picked by new guys, if Richardson goes down he's the only interesting alternative. Could see RB2 upside in this offense.

Bengals - Green-Ellis gets the same treatment from me that Jackson will, although I'm not a huge Bernard fan so it's likely a non-issue

Steelers - ignore, it's probably Dwyer backing up Bell, but Dwyer was too much of a headache when given the job and I don't like Bell enough to draft him in the first place

Ravens - Pierce is a must cuff for Rice owners, I'll go a little early (9th or 10th) to get him too if I must

Texans - I think Kubiak is souring on Tate, the camp battle for the #3 job will be one to watch, like last year I am not bending over backwards to get Tate if I draft Foster and am completely ignornig Tate if I do not draft Foster

Colts - Kerwynn Williams is the interesting backup to watch here, Dammit Donald Brown sucks

Jags - Forsett is the redraft handcuff, but Denard is the long term dart throw and may eat too much into Forsett's workload to make him viable if MJD doesn't suit up, don't see myself drafting MJD so likley a non-issue anyway

Titans - obviously Shonn Greene, but he gets the Fred Jackson/Law Firm treatment from me draft day

Chargers - I'd be very surprised if I draft Mathews in the first place, could see myself picking up Woodhead in deep ppr leagues late

Raiders - definitely monitoring Latavius Murray's camp

Broncos - I think Moreno opens as the starter and how much he yields to Hillman and Ball will depend on how they do, given current prices Hillman is the only one that has my attention, Ball is way over priced right now

Chiefs - Knile Davis is not a good football player, their backup situation may cause me to devalue Charles a couple of notches

Eagles - have to like Bryce Brown here, view him similarly as Pierce

Cowboys - doubt I roster Murray in the first place, so it's a non-issue, but I think Randle's kinda mediocre himself so even if I do get Demarco I still wouldn't look at Randle until the very end

Giants - in order to lock up this running game you may need to use a 2 or 3 and an 8 or even a 7 to do it. This is not a game I'd play walking into a draft. If Wilson falls to the 3rd, maybe, but I'm not pot committing to Brown at that time. If he's there in the 8th or more likely 9th I'll consider him, but I'm not reaching for him.

Packers - prices will adjust throughout offseason, but as of right now Franklin is the only one that has my attention. Most perceive Lacy as the starter, I like Franklin more, and he should be much cheaper. If they're both cheap enough it is a pairing I'll consider though.

Bears - same as last year, if I draft Forte I'm not bending over backwards to get Bush, unlike last year his price should be more appropriate (like Tate) so it makes more sense

Vikings - ignore, Toby has flex upside only imho

Lions - probably only drafting Reggie in ppr, so may be a non issue anyway, 2 years removed from the achilles injury better chance of LeShoure being more mobile and his current price is quite low, could see this pairing

Saints - I like all 3 of them at their current rates, deep enough bench and I'll get all 3

Falcons - Unlike last year, I think Quizz is going to be too expensive, this year's Tate/Bush

Panthers - highly doubt I'm investing in this run game no matter what happens

Bucs - backup has flex upside only if Martin goes down, pass

Seahawks - Michael is the cuff for now, camp will shake things out, but Turbin isn't nearly as skilled as him, last round dart throw imho

49ers - depending on his price I may roll the dice on LMJ with or without Gore

Cardinals - expecting this to be a fluid situation, Ellington really has my attention though, staff is not married to Mendenhall - he's just a universal plan B imho. Williams gets first crack and they want Ellington or Taylor to be plan B, but they feel comfortable falling back on Mendenhall in any event. Definitely a situation I'll be watching in camp.

Rams - I think the pecking order is Stacy-Richardson-Pead come opening day, I'm only interested in the first two

Vereen's my favorite of the bunch. 1) The Pats high-tempo offense means there will be enough touches to make more than one RB fantasy-relevant. So even if Ridley has a terrific season, Vereen could still be a decent Flex option. And if Ridley fumbles, or gets hurt... 2) Vereen gets used in a lot of different way. He gets used as a traditional passing downs back, he gets work at the goalline, and he even gets split out wide sometimes. The Pats love players like that they can move all over the field, and none of the other RBs on the roster have that skill set.

3) Edit: Also there are a ton of questions about the Pats WRs and TEs. So that gives a pass-catching RB even more opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Faust posted in the http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=681740 OTA thread that Hunter is not 100% back, in fact his goal is to try and be ready for camp but that doesn't sound all that great right now. I understand most RBs these days and players in general bounce back form the ACL tear the following season but that is not a hard rule. Lattimore is not going to be ready, Gore is getting older but still solid, the guy I think benefits and has added 10 pounds of muscle this off season is LaMichael James. I love that he is an after thought right now, absolutely a perfect RB3 you can get at an RB4 price and I think he will have a chance to crack the top30 rather easily.

Great OL, young QB who is going to be looking for other options besides Boldin, defense will set up a lot of short fields for the offense, you could do a lot worse once the big names come off the board. I would rather have James over probably 8-10 "starters" from other teams that look more like an RBBC with messy offenses to begin with.

PPR leagues he is an auto start in the flex.

Faust posted in the http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=681740 OTA thread that Hunter is not 100% back, in fact his goal is to try and be ready for camp but that doesn't sound all that great right now. I understand most RBs these days and players in general bounce back form the ACL tear the following season but that is not a hard rule. Lattimore is not going to be ready, Gore is getting older but still solid, the guy I think benefits and has added 10 pounds of muscle this off season is LaMichael James. I love that he is an after thought right now, absolutely a perfect RB3 you can get at an RB4 price and I think he will have a chance to crack the top30 rather easily.

Great OL, young QB who is going to be looking for other options besides Boldin, defense will set up a lot of short fields for the offense, you could do a lot worse once the big names come off the board. I would rather have James over probably 8-10 "starters" from other teams that look more like an RBBC with messy offenses to begin with.

LMJ would be very appealing if I thought he'd get starter's carries if Gore went down or was less effective, but will that happen? I don't know a lot about him, but I thought the perception was that he's just a scat back.

It's worth noting that Hunter is coming off an achilles tear, not ACL. I think that's worse than ACL, but opinions vary.

LMJ would be very appealing if I thought he'd get starter's carries if Gore went down or was less effective, but will that happen? I don't know a lot about him, but I thought the perception was that he's just a scat back.

It's worth noting that Hunter is coming off an achilles tear, not ACL. I think that's worse than ACL, but opinions vary.
You might be right on the achilles. I actually don't think LMJ will ever be a starter, he'll break down if they did but he was electric at Oregon and he finds himself on a very talented team. I see him getting 45-55 catches in this offense plus some carries, PPR will make him more valuable. I could see him being handed 8-10 carries a game plus receptions, maybe 180-200 touches if things went right.

Are you not buying into the Latavius Murray hype? He got some positive press today.

Are you not buying into the Latavius Murray hype? He got some positive press today.
I take a lot of the offseason stuff with a grain of salt.

You might be right on the achilles. I actually don't think LMJ will ever be a starter, he'll break down if they did but he was electric at Oregon and he finds himself on a very talented team. I see him getting 45-55 catches in this offense plus some carries, PPR will make him more valuable. I could see him being handed 8-10 carries a game plus receptions, maybe 180-200 touches if things went right.
I'm not saying it isn't possible, but 180 touches would make him an absolute steal. He's currently RB59 (RB55 in PPR). Last year, only 27 players had 180 touches. Given that offensive line and his skillset, he'd be a decent flex player with just 10 touches a game. You might be onto something here. At the very least, he should be a cheap buy in the subscriber contest...

Rotoworld:

49ers RB Kendall Hunter (Achilles) has resumed cutting at OTAs.
Hunter will be a full eight months removed from his torn left Achilles' when the 49ers hit training camp at the end of July. Running backs have a longer recovery period than other positions because of their need to cut. It's a positive sign that Hunter's been able to do so nearly two months before camp opens.

Source: KFFL.com

The more I am looking into him, the better he sounds. McFadden will be lucky to stay on the field and likely will only start 10-12 games so that means there will be opp. Jennings showed his true value perhaps last season in Jax so why not Murray? In early June when you are trying to figure out who has a chance to come from nowhere.

All these things would have to happen IMO: McFadden is injured(strong possibility), OL really gels and creates holes, QB play from whoever is starting is way over what anyone expected, guys stepping up from the WR and TE positions to take some pressure off the running game, defense sets up sone short fields, AL Davis comes back from the grave. I like Murray more than I did 2-3 days ago after you 1st posted Donny.

Just an inventory and working list with some quick thoughts. Oakland: When does McFadden ever finish an entire season? Rashad Jennings will see the field and even though he was a disappointment last year in Jax I am thinking he might see some significant playing time in Oakland and in the end isn't that one of the things we are looking for in the spare parts section?
The more I am looking into him, the better he sounds. McFadden will be lucky to stay on the field and likely will only start 10-12 games so that means there will be opp. Jennings showed his true value perhaps last season in Jax so why not Murray? In early June when you are trying to figure out who has a chance to come from nowhere. All these things would have to happen IMO: McFadden is injured(strong possibility), OL really gels and creates holes, QB play from whoever is starting is way over what anyone expected, guys stepping up from the WR and TE positions to take some pressure off the running game, defense sets up sone short fields, AL Davis comes back from the grave. I like Murray more than I did 2-3 days ago after you 1st posted Donny.
I'm confused why it would take all that. The guy caught 27 balls last year, so he would be able to fill a void in the passing game if a TE doesn't step up. Moore, Ford, Streater, or Butler will keep that safety honest. There is a lot to like about Murray. At the least, he should be on par with Randle because they are in similar situations. Many RB's perform in less than ideal situations. Look at.what Bryce Brown did last year despite poor QB play, OL play, and being hisnown worst enemy. Why is it impossible for Murray to do something similar with better skills in passing game?

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland mentioned second-year RB Jonas Gray as a potential No. 3 back behind Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas.

"We feel very good about Jonas Gray coming off the knee," Ireland said. "Then Mike Gillislee. There’s youth at the position. There’s special teams value there." A 2012 UDFA out of Notre Dame, Gray missed his first NFL season due to a right ACL tear suffered during his senior year. He's a one-cut power back and perhaps someone to monitor as a deep sleeper for 2013 fantasy football.

Source: Miami Herald Jun 2 - 6:18 PM

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland mentioned second-year RB Jonas Gray as a potential No. 3 back behind Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas."We feel very good about Jonas Gray coming off the knee," Ireland said. "Then Mike Gillislee. There’s youth at the position. There’s special teams value there." A 2012 UDFA out of Notre Dame, Gray missed his first NFL season due to a right ACL tear suffered during his senior year. He's a one-cut power back and perhaps someone to monitor as a deep sleeper for 2013 fantasy football.Source: Miami Herald Jun 2 - 6:18 PM
Gillislee will be the RB2 IMO and Daniel Thomas is fighting for RB3 status with Gray. This situation after Miller is pretty fluid right now.

Rotoworld:

Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer anticipates using a "committee approach" in the backfield.
We'll see. The "committee" term is easy to use in June, when no Rams running back has separated from the pack. That will likely happen in August. Although 2012 change-of-pace back Daryl Richardson has the best history of production, he's probably the least likely to win the lead back job because the Rams fancy Richardson a perimeter runner. Isaiah Pead and rookie Zac Stacy are most likely in direct competition to lead St. Louis in carries.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

The Jets are giving Bilal Powell an opportunity to push Mike Goodson for the third-down back job.
Goodson is the heavy favorite, with beat writer Rich Cimini noting he shows "a burst whenever he gets the ball in his hands." Powell, on the other hand, is painfully sluggish as a runner. He's merely competing for a roster spot.

Source: ESPN New York

Birds 24/7 (Eagles)Running back: McCoy and Brown both figure to see plenty of action in this offense.Behind them, Polk, Felix Jones and undrafted free agent Matthew Tucker will be competing for roster spots. Polk has dropped weight from a year ago and seemed to be ahead of the other two during spring practices.Jones provides versatility and could have a leg up if he can be effective as a returner and stay healthy.Since the Eagles don’t have a fullback on the roster, they could potentially keep four running backs.

Birds 24/7 (Eagles)Running back: McCoy and Brown both figure to see plenty of action in this offense.Behind them, Polk, Felix Jones and undrafted free agent Matthew Tucker will be competing for roster spots. Polk has dropped weight from a year ago and seemed to be ahead of the other two during spring practices.Jones provides versatility and could have a leg up if he can be effective as a returner and stay healthy.Since the Eagles don’t have a fullback on the roster, they could potentially keep four running backs.
Does that make McCoy slightly overvalued right now?

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland mentioned second-year RB Jonas Gray as a potential No. 3 back behind Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas."We feel very good about Jonas Gray coming off the knee," Ireland said. "Then Mike Gillislee. There’s youth at the position. There’s special teams value there." A 2012 UDFA out of Notre Dame, Gray missed his first NFL season due to a right ACL tear suffered during his senior year. He's a one-cut power back and perhaps someone to monitor as a deep sleeper for 2013 fantasy football.Source: Miami Herald Jun 2 - 6:18 PM
Gillislee will be the RB2 IMO and Daniel Thomas is fighting for RB3 status with Gray. This situation after Miller is pretty fluid right now.
What are you basing this on? Sounds like the GM himself puts Thomas as #2 and positions Gray and Gillislee as special teamers fighting for #3.

Does that make McCoy slightly overvalued right now?
I don't think that's a knock on McCoy, but at this point Brown is at least the clear handcuff and could potentially get enough touches to make him fantasy relevant. No one knows yet what their offense will look like, but it appears Brown will be given a chance to contribute. The above blurb also tells us where Jones and Polk stand at the moment.

What are you basing this on? Sounds like the GM himself puts Thomas as #2 and positions Gray and Gillislee as special teamers fighting for #3.
Camps, OTAs, Faust has had some blurbs he posted throughout the off season but Gillislee is very good at pass protection, maybe better than Miller to be honest and he played in a pro style attack and in a lot of formations that carry over. I have to say that Gillislee is a poor man's Montee Ball because the knock on Ball was that he isn't "special". Well Mike isn't really "special" either but he does a lot of things well. I'm actually holding out hope we might have another Tony Nathan like back who can do many things but probably never lead the league in yards or major statistical categories.

Gillislee will be the RB2 by the time camp ends. Thomas is awful. Mike also catches the ball well so I see him with a combo of receiving and pass blocking=instant 3rd down back.

Users who are viewing this thread