What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Band of Brothers (2 Viewers)

Bastogne is a worthy day trip stop if you're ever travelling through central Europe. It's one French-speaking region that appreciates America's sacrifices. The museum there really moves.
I have a European trip on my life goals to follow from Normandy to Germany. My wife is not interested, but my father-in-law says he is game. :moneybag:

Was looking for the FBG thread on this show as i just watched it on Blu Ray.

Was hard to find the thread, but i knew the word "Bastogne" would ONLY get me to the correct thread!

Unreal how they portrayed the war, didnt seem Hollywooded up to me at all.

Best episode by far for me was the one where Toye got his leg blown off, damn that was hard to look at.

What ever happened to the Nurse, Doc liked? Was the fact that he found her headwear supposed to imply that she died?

also what about the drunken US soldier who shot another soldier?

Was hard to find the thread, but i knew the word "Bastogne" would ONLY get me to the correct thread!

Best episode by far for me was the one where Toye got his leg blown off, damn that was hard to look at.

What ever happened to the Nurse, Doc liked? Was the fact that he found her headwear supposed to imply that she died?

My favorite was the episode directly after that one when Spiers runs thru enemy territory to get word to his soldiers, and runs runs right back -- 5 minutes later, they're in the church being sung to as the dead soldiers "disappear"...followed by Spiers telling Lipton his unit had a leader the whole time. :confused: Yes, the nurse was implied dead -- no idea on the drunk soldier (assume incarcerated).

My favorite was the episode directly after that one when Spiers runs thru enemy territory to get word to his soldiers, and runs runs right back -- 5 minutes later, they're in the church being sung to as the dead soldiers "disappear"...followed by Spiers telling Lipton his unit had a leader the whole time. ;)

Yes, the nurse was implied dead -- no idea on the drunk soldier (assume incarcerated).
Thanks didnt want to see a hollywood type romance where they meet up after war, so thats OKPS anyone feel the sex scene in the holocaust episode where Speirs walks in on a soldier and some german chick was not really necessary? Dont want to sound like i think its ok for kids to watch blood and gore and not sex, but this is a show 13 year olds should watch IMO to understand the bravery of the soldiers who defended American Freedom, but the sex scene makes it uncomfortable for a parent to show it to young teens.

My favorite was the episode directly after that one when Spiers runs thru enemy territory to get word to his soldiers, and runs runs right back -- 5 minutes later, they're in the church being sung to as the dead soldiers "disappear"...followed by Spiers telling Lipton his unit had a leader the whole time. :thumbdown:

Yes, the nurse was implied dead -- no idea on the drunk soldier (assume incarcerated).
Thanks didnt want to see a hollywood type romance where they meet up after war, so thats OKPS anyone feel the sex scene in the holocaust episode where Speirs walks in on a soldier and some german chick was not really necessary? Dont want to sound like i think its ok for kids to watch blood and gore and not sex, but this is a show 13 year olds should watch IMO to understand the bravery of the soldiers who defended American Freedom, but the sex scene makes it uncomfortable for a parent to show it to young teens.
No

Her name was Renee LeMaire, known as the Angel of Bastogne. She did die, trying to save soldiers trapped in the aid station after a direct hit from a German bomber.Not real clear what happened to the soldier who shot Sergent Grant. He was turned over to the MP's and most lost track of it, didn't care. The portrayal of Spiers during that particular scene was wrong. He didn't lay a hand on the man but probably did save him from GI justice.

PS anyone feel the sex scene in the holocaust episode where Speirs walks in on a soldier and some german chick was not really necessary? Dont want to sound like i think its ok for kids to watch blood and gore and not sex, but this is a show 13 year olds should watch IMO to understand the bravery of the soldiers who defended American Freedom, but the sex scene makes it uncomfortable for a parent to show it to young teens.
Funny you mention that, there were two things in the mini-series that the veterans complained the most about, all the swearing and that sex scene. They all agreed that stuff like that did happen but it was totally unnecessary to the telling of the story and wanted it removed. Int he end Spielberg and Hanks left it in for the younger crowd who they thought would be better able to relate to it. Some of the vets are still mad about that.

Love this piece about Bastogne from wiki

By 21 December, the German forces had surrounded Bastogne, which was defended by the 101st Airborne and Combat Command B of the 10th Armored Division. Conditions inside the perimeter were tough—most of the medical supplies and medical personnel had been captured. Food was scarce, and by December 22 artillery ammunition was restricted to 10 rounds per gun per day. The weather cleared the next day, however, and supplies (primarily ammunition) were dropped over four of the next five days.

Despite determined German attacks, however, the perimeter held. The German commander, Generalleutnant Heinrich Freiherr von Lüttwitz,[19] requested Bastogne's surrender.[20]When General Anthony McAuliffe, acting commander of the 101st, was told, a frustrated McAuliffe responded, "Nuts!" After turning to other pressing issues, his staff reminded him that they should reply to the German demand. One officer (Harry W. O. Kinnard, then a Lieutenant Colonel) recommended that McAuliffe's initial reply would be "tough to beat". Thus McAuliffe wrote on the paper delivered to the Germans: “NUTS!” That reply had to be explained, both to the Germans and to non-American Allies.[21]

Both 2nd Panzer and Panzer Lehr moved forward from Bastogne after December 21, leaving only Panzer Lehr's 901st Regiment to assist the 26th Volksgrenadier Division in attempting to capture the crossroads. The 26th VG received one panzergrenadier regiment from the 15th PzG Division on Christmas Eve for its main assault the next day. Because it lacked sufficient troops and those of the 26th VG Division were near exhaustion, the XLVII Panzer Corps concentrated its assault on several individual locations on the west side of perimeter in sequence rather than launching one simultaneous attack on all sides. The assault, despite initial success by its tanks in penetrating the American line, was defeated and all the tanks destroyed. The next day, December 26, the spearhead of the 4th Armored Division broke through and opened a corridor to Bastogne.

Her name was Renee LeMaire, known as the Angel of Bastogne. She did die, trying to save soldiers trapped in the aid station after a direct hit from a German bomber.Not real clear what happened to the soldier who shot Sergent Grant. He was turned over to the MP's and most lost track of it, didn't care. The portrayal of Spiers during that particular scene was wrong. He didn't lay a hand on the man but probably did save him from GI justice.

PS anyone feel the sex scene in the holocaust episode where Speirs walks in on a soldier and some german chick was not really necessary? Dont want to sound like i think its ok for kids to watch blood and gore and not sex, but this is a show 13 year olds should watch IMO to understand the bravery of the soldiers who defended American Freedom, but the sex scene makes it uncomfortable for a parent to show it to young teens.
Funny you mention that, there were two things in the mini-series that the veterans complained the most about, all the swearing and that sex scene. They all agreed that stuff like that did happen but it was totally unnecessary to the telling of the story and wanted it removed. Int he end Spielberg and Hanks left it in for the younger crowd who they thought would be better able to relate to it. Some of the vets are still mad about that.
Why were the vets mad about it? Did they deny those things happened?

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite was the episode directly after that one when Spiers runs thru enemy territory to get word to his soldiers, and runs runs right back -- 5 minutes later, they're in the church being sung to as the dead soldiers "disappear"...followed by Spiers telling Lipton his unit had a leader the whole time. :lmao:
Me too.

My favorite was the episode directly after that one when Spiers runs thru enemy territory to get word to his soldiers, and runs runs right back -- 5 minutes later, they're in the church being sung to as the dead soldiers "disappear"...followed by Spiers telling Lipton his unit had a leader the whole time. :confused:

I highly doubt 13 year olds haven't seen more graphic sex scenes at this point in their lives.

Anyone ever hear what happened to that series they were supposed to make about the Pacific Theatre of Operations regarding Band of Brothers? There was supposed to be another BoB series, this time in the Pacific. I believe Hanks had a hand in this one as well.

Anyone ever hear what happened to that series they were supposed to make about the Pacific Theatre of Operations regarding Band of Brothers? There was supposed to be another BoB series, this time in the Pacific. I believe Hanks had a hand in this one as well.
According to IMDB its still a go.

My favorite was the episode directly after that one when Spiers runs thru enemy territory to get word to his soldiers, and runs runs right back -- 5 minutes later, they're in the church being sung to as the dead soldiers "disappear"...followed by Spiers telling Lipton his unit had a leader the whole time. :yes:

I highly doubt 13 year olds haven't seen more graphic sex scenes at this point in their lives.
This whole thing cracks me up.Blood OK

Guts OK

The Holocaust OK

Severed Limbs OK

Inept officers OK

Subordination OK

Mental Fatigue/Shell Shock OK

Alcoholism OK

Smoking OK

Sex COVER THEIR EYES!

Funny you mention that, there were two things in the mini-series that the veterans complained the most about, all the swearing and that sex scene. They all agreed that stuff like that did happen but it was totally unnecessary to the telling of the story and wanted it removed. In the end Spielberg and Hanks left it in for the younger crowd who they thought would be better able to relate to it. Some of the vets are still mad about that.
No, reading is fundamental.They didn't feel it added anything to the story other than gratuitous sex.

Some of you may find this page fascinating as I do Link.

Website by Airborne Historian and renowned expert Mark Bando. Link takes you to his "Band Of Brother's" page where he breaks down each episode and critiques the authenticity of each episode. He adds pictures and interviews from the actual soldiers regarding the episodes. Bando does not come from a "negative" angle but an angle for the history buffs like myself. For the most part, Bando praises the mini-series for it's overwhelming accuracy. On the D-Day drop episode critique, he qoutes one of the soldiers stating the American's could see the naval artillery shells passing over them. The soldier stated they looked like "flying Volkswagons" as they passed over them. Insight's like this is what Bando gives you.

My favorite character is Lt. Spears...dude was a mad man. Wikipedia did a pretty good job on their "Band Of Brothers Page". The Wiki link I provided takes you to the main character page where you get historical background on the real characters. Lot's of cool information and some have pictures of the real members.
Thanks for that link, some good reading there.Most his stuff are stupid gripes about where medals and badges were a half an inch off, but some good stuff.

he shares my view that the sex scene was uncalled for, though there was lots of sex with German girls even thouh it was banned, so maybe it was fitting, IDK

This episode made a pretty good attempt to depict the bittersweet mood of near victory in southern Germany in the spring of 1945. It is a study in contrasts. There is the thwarted attempt at forbidden Fraternization by George Luz, contrasted with the brisk sex scene, which surely surprised viewers more than it did Lt Speirs. That scene was probably an embarassment to parents viewing the series with pre-teen children, mainly because it came suddenly and without warning and was very much out of character with the rest of the presentation. But it's not TV, it's HBO, and what would HBO be without at least one gratuitous sex scene?
This is a very VERY good tidbit that disturbed me a bit, but the blog guy clarified it for me
In the scene in which 3 German PWs are herded out of a building to be executed with gunshots to the head beside the road, I hope most of the viewing audience was aware that the executioners were FRENCH SOLDIERS, and NOT American GIs. There was no dialogue to point this out, and the only uniform difference obvious to most viewers, was the French steel helmets.

Funny you mention that, there were two things in the mini-series that the veterans complained the most about, all the swearing and that sex scene. They all agreed that stuff like that did happen but it was totally unnecessary to the telling of the story and wanted it removed. In the end Spielberg and Hanks left it in for the younger crowd who they thought would be better able to relate to it. Some of the vets are still mad about that.
No, reading is fundamental.They didn't feel it added anything to the story other than gratuitous sex.
Ah...I skipped that line apparently.I didn't see it as gratuitous. I saw it as realistic.

According to IMDB its still a go.
Good to know. Seems like that thing has been in the works forever now.
They've been working on it for what seems like forever. There is a tentative release date of February 2010 that I've seen.This is a link to Dale Dye's Warrior's Inc. blog detailing his recaps of episodes he's taping now for the mini-series. Good stuff if you are interested.

Ah...I skipped that line apparently.I didn't see it as gratuitous. I saw it as realistic.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I side with the veterans they were trying to honor by telling their story. No big deal.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I side with the veterans they were trying to honor by telling their story. No big deal.
agree with you 100%Of course in a war where young men havent had contact with a woman for 3 years and now finally they are in a peaceful sort of setting and the woman are willing there was lots of sex going on. BUT it was really uncalled for, at the very least show them sharing a bed to drive the point home, but that scene was a little too heavy for someone who wants to watch it with his family.

My favorite was the episode directly after that one when Spiers runs thru enemy territory to get word to his soldiers, and runs runs right back -- 5 minutes later, they're in the church being sung to as the dead soldiers "disappear"...followed by Spiers telling Lipton his unit had a leader the whole time. :lmao:

Guts OK

The Holocaust OK

Severed Limbs OK

Inept officers OK

Subordination OK

Alcoholism OK

Smoking OK

Sex COVER THEIR EYES!
Again no one is saying a 13 year old hasnt seen sex on screen (or in real life) BUT it does make it uncomfortable for a mom to tell her kid to watch this show knowing a scene like that is in the show.As for violence being ok and not sex, this is a show depicting a war that defined our country, so as a parent i much rather my kid see this violence for a purpose than the violence of the Sopranos

Guts OK

The Holocaust OK

Severed Limbs OK

Inept officers OK

Subordination OK

Alcoholism OK

Smoking OK

Sex COVER THEIR EYES!
Again no one is saying a 13 year old hasnt seen sex on screen (or in real life) BUT it does make it uncomfortable for a mom to tell her kid to watch this show knowing a scene like that is in the show.As for violence being ok and not sex, this is a show depicting a war that defined our country, so as a parent i much rather my kid see this violence for a purpose than the violence of the Sopranos
So once again...sex is wrong but violence is OK.

Guts OK

The Holocaust OK

Severed Limbs OK

Inept officers OK

Subordination OK

Alcoholism OK

Smoking OK

Sex COVER THEIR EYES!
So once again...sex is wrong but violence is OK.
yes. This country was built on violence. Sex is just a pastime, like baseball or gambling.

Here we go again. Every thread, no matter the topic, turns into something like this.....
:tinfoilhat:The whole show is about how power hungry madmen drew the entire world into a war where something like 60-70 million people were killed. Countless atrocities were perpetrated upon civilians from Poland to China to California. The only time nuclear weapons were used in history was during WWII. Some guy gets his ashes hauled and its offensive.

Here we go again. Every thread, no matter the topic, turns into something like this.....
Yeah i knew when i brought that aspect up i would get such comments about blood is ok but sex is not ok.say whatever you want, but any normal parent would prefer their teenage child to watch Saving Private Ryan over American Pie or some sex comedy

Yeah i knew when i brought that aspect up i would get such comments about blood is ok but sex is not ok.say whatever you want, but any normal parent would prefer their teenage child to watch Saving Private Ryan over American Pie or some sex comedy
Not really the same thing.
why not?Of course as a parent you shouldnt want your kids to watch a bloody film like Die hard or rambo or whatever.But true war shows/movies are important and build patriotism towards the country they live in.By adding in a pretty graphic sex scene it will deter the more conservative mom, who would have wanted her kids to see BOB to not show it to them.Thats all i am saying, it WASNT NEEDED in such an epic show. An implication of the sex was all they needed

Not really the same thing.
why not?Of course as a parent you shouldnt want your kids to watch a bloody film like Die hard or rambo or whatever.But true war shows/movies are important and build patriotism towards the country they live in.By adding in a pretty graphic sex scene it will deter the more conservative mom, who would have wanted her kids to see BOB to not show it to them.Thats all i am saying, it WASNT NEEDED in such an epic show. An implication of the sex was all they needed
Agree to disagree, Reverend Mather.

This is a very VERY good tidbit that disturbed me a bit, but the blog guy clarified it for me

In the scene in which 3 German PWs are herded out of a building to be executed with gunshots to the head beside the road, I hope most of the viewing audience was aware that the executioners were FRENCH SOLDIERS, and NOT American GIs. There was no dialogue to point this out, and the only uniform difference obvious to most viewers, was the French steel helmets.
There was a lot of disturbing stuff that happened in the war, and yes, some of it was American soldiers. Saw a documentary recently dealing with what an invasion of Japan would have been like. There were interviews with American vets who had been part of the invasion of Okinawa, and one was talking about how the Japanese prisoners that were taken were executed, with a pistol to the head, unless they were near the front lines and didn't want to reveal their position in which case a knife was used. Not that he was saying they wanted to kill them, but they didn't have anything set up to handle prisoners and couldn't just let them go free.War sucks. :thumbup:

Of course as a parent you shouldnt want your kids to watch a bloody film like Die hard or rambo or whatever.But true war shows/movies are important and build patriotism towards the country they live in.By adding in a pretty graphic sex scene it will deter the more conservative mom, who would have wanted her kids to see BOB to not show it to them.Thats all i am saying, it WASNT NEEDED in such an epic show. An implication of the sex was all they needed
So, war movies should be propaganda in nature and leave the porn to the porn? Sex happened, even in war, and war happens in sex movies too.

I guess it was inevitable the thread turned into this. Too bad.
:goodposting: Why somebody would have to denounce a fine piece of film making because of one sex scene is beyond me.
Boy you probably get wet dreams just thinking of the forum drama you can create.Did i denounce the film? i called it an EPIC show and realistic as can be.I just had a simple opinion which actual 101st members echoed that the sex scene was not needed.Thats all it is, an opinion

I guess it was inevitable the thread turned into this. Too bad.
:confused: Why somebody would have to denounce a fine piece of film making because of one sex scene is beyond me.
Boy you probably get wet dreams just thinking of the forum drama you can create.Did i denounce the film? i called it an EPIC show and realistic as can be.I just had a simple opinion which actual 101st members echoed that the sex scene was not needed.Thats all it is, an opinion
I'm not the one comparing myself to war heroes, guy.

If you get the chance, watch all of the extras where they interview the actual men of Easy Company, follow a reunion, and interview **** Winters. The entire DVD set is so powerful, you have to take it in small doses IMO. I've probably seen them all 5 or 6 times and I never get tired of them. Glad to see you discovered it. :thumbup:
:confused: I bought the series too, but the small doses advice is on target, IMO. It is some heavy stuff seeing the guys recount their actual experiences. I also recommend the book that the series was based on, as it includes more details on many more of the men who were killed - definitely a cautionary tale from Mr. Winters - he doesn't sugar-coat the bad outcomes for a lot of the men who managed to live through the experience, either.

War is incredibly horrible, but what else can you do when a mad man is willing to kill thousands.
No sane person should ever want to go war.My George Orwell quote relates to your question. I know it's been around for a very long time but it came to my attention when I was reading a post by Susan Smith-Finn the daughter of Burr Smith. It's not word-for-word but the gist is the same. In a letter to his daughter he wrote:

"Your observations on the recent violent murders at home are pretty much like mine I think. These are strange times babylove - people are mixed up as never before, and the drug thing makes everything just that more hideous. My life, my income, and therefore your security, are all directly related to violence. I would not have this job, nor be away from home so much if there was not so much hate and violence in the world. It is odd (and sometimes deeply disturbing) to realize that my livelihood is gained from the most basic weakness of mankind - his inability to live in peace with his neighbors. Someday there may be no need for my kind of person - the experts in violence - and the world will be a better place when that day comes. I will be the very first to shout welcome to that happy time, but in the meantime there are tigers in the jungle and the defenseless must be defended - which means killing tigers. I hope you understand baby - I am not really a war-lover or a man of violence - its just that I have been trained for many years in the skills of warfare, and am needed to help other people defend themselves because they are not trained in these terrible skills."

(Letter, 1969, Burr Smith)

Link to the post

Mr. Smith had an incredible story and lead an incredible life. Much like his best friend David Webster he lead a very storied life and died well before his time. The letters contained in that post are pretty awesome.

I need to go back and watch that one. I thought I remembered when I watched it that I thought they looked like Russian soldiers and indeed I thought that was the point of the scene, to show the way the Russians treated captured German troops. It has been awhile though.

I need to go back and watch that one. I thought I remembered when I watched it that I thought they looked like Russian soldiers and indeed I thought that was the point of the scene, to show the way the Russians treated captured German troops. It has been awhile though.
They were French or at least that was the intent as noted only by the helmets they wore. The French were known for playing the heavy like that in liberated areas or where the Germans were giving up en masse. Much like the Russians they didn't believe in taking prisoners or treating the ones they did have very well. I suppose after 4-5 years of oppression you get like that. Remember what happened to the Dutch collaborators during the liberation of Eindhoven. There was a lot of retribution towards the Nazi's after a country was liberated.

They were French or at least that was the intent as noted only by the helmets they wore. The French were known for playing the heavy like that in liberated areas or where the Germans were giving up en masse. Much like the Russians they didn't believe in taking prisoners or treating the ones they did have very well. I suppose after 4-5 years of oppression you get like that. Remember what happened to the Dutch collaborators during the liberation of Eindhoven. There was a lot of retribution towards the Nazi's after a country was liberated.
so you can post here but not in obc chat? noted :popcorn:

beer 30 said:
Loke said:
biggamer3 said:

Yea, makes sense. Guess I just wasn't paying attention, or at least not close enough attention.

Users who are viewing this thread