What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Band of Brothers (1 Viewer)

Bummer. RIP Malarkey. 

Bronze Star for the Brecourt Manor assault (charging the four German artillery guns). Most time on the front lines of anyone in Easy Company.
I read in Sobel's bio that he won the bronze star.  I'd like to know what he did given the way he was portrayed in the mini-series.  Did you know he tried to commit suicide in 1970?  In 1970, Sobel attempted suicide when he shot himself in the head with a small-caliber pistol. The bullet entered his left temple, passed behind his eyes, and exited out the other side of his head. This severed his optic nerves and left him blind.  He entered a VA assisted living facility in Waukegan, Illinois. He resided there for his last seventeen years until his death due to malnutrition on 30 September 1987.  No services were held for him after his death

Not sure if that has been posted here or not.  This is a video of today's actual sites of Bastogne and attack on Foy.  Very interesting - http://www.joedemadio.com/the-real-band-of-brothers-foxholes-locations-in-foy-bastogne/
For those of you who love the Band of Brothers you will like this video.  The guy doing the video walks through the forest just outside of the town of Foy.  He shows where foxholes were built by Easy Company and talks about the assault on Foy and shows the actual location where it started, not where some thought.  He walks through the town of Foy showing the building where Shifty Powers shot the German sniper and there is a memorial to Easy Company in Foy.  Shows some then-and-now pics too.  Very well made IMO.  It's 13 minutes in length. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the first episode and a half with my 14 y/o son last night.  He seemed very surprised at the paratrooper over Normandy scene.  He didn't understand why they were risking so much.  The challenge for me is gonna be trying to make him understand.  It was such a different time.

Just watched it for the 2nd time. Just as good as the first time.

The realism and detail in it was amazing.

The emotional impact, especially episodes 6-9 was unforgettable.

I'm gonna start this again tonight.  Second favorite show behind the Wire 
These two shows were very close for me. I've seen both countless times. I usually say BOB slightly over the Wire, but I think I'm just swayed by the last few emotional episodes of BOB vs the serial killer plot of the Wire.

These two shows were very close for me. I've seen both countless times. I usually say BOB slightly over the Wire, but I think I'm just swayed by the last few emotional episodes of BOB vs the serial killer plot of the Wire.
There is just so much more with the Wire.  They are both great, but the volume of the Wire makes it the greatest imo

There is just so much more with the Wire.  They are both great, but the volume of the Wire makes it the greatest imo
It would be tough of me to argue against the Wire. I love it so much. I usually call it my favorite series while I call BoB my favorite limited series.

There's a strangely-animated clone on Netflix now called The Liberators.  I watched the first two episodes (of 4) and it hits some of the same beats - if you can handle the animation style, it's worth a watch. 

Tick said:
There's a strangely-animated clone on Netflix now called The Liberators.  I watched the first two episodes (of 4) and it hits some of the same beats - if you can handle the animation style, it's worth a watch. 
Based on the Thunderbirds

Tick said:
Only four episodes.  I watched it the other day.  Funny seeing this thread as I started watching BoB 4-5 days ago second time around. 

The Liberators was a bit too ficticious to me (even though it is at least loosely based on the actual company) in that it has some pretty unrealistic scenes - like a battalion of German SS are feet from their foxholes and after a number of artillery rounds they're all suddenly dead. haha

I forgot how good this show was.  Got locked into the last 3 or 4 episodes and couldn't look away.  Still can't imagine what it must have been like to discover these concentration camps without knowing what Hitler was up to.  

The Spiers run is the apex of the series as well.  Just so bad ###.

This scene always leaves me astonished. Assuming it really went down like that...dude didn't hesitate for a millisecond.  Just sprints out into hell, giant brass ones clanging around as he sprints past the retreating Germans to connect with the other company and cut them off. 

And then he came back. 

Those were men.

This scene always leaves me astonished. Assuming it really went down like that...dude didn't hesitate for a millisecond.  Just sprints out into hell, giant brass ones clanging around as he sprints past the retreating Germans to connect with the other company and cut them off. 

And then he came back. 

Those were men.
I've seen a fair number of videos on Spiers lately and while you can probably take them all with a grain of salt, one thing that stands out amoungst all of them is everyone associated with Spiers believes and supports all the stories about him. Ambrose, while writing BoB, mentioned to **** Winters that there may be a problem with the prisoner execution story, especially if it wasn't true. Winters called Spiers on the spot, asked him if the story was true, Spiers said yes and Winters told Ambrose Spiers wouldn't lie to him about that and so Winters believed him.

As far as the jaunt through Foy to link up with the company on the far side of town, there were a number of witnesses that saw it and corroborated it. Was it as Hollywood as it appeared in the series? Probably not but as for me, I tend to think all the stories about Spiers are true and was, indeed, just a badass.

Just watching this again today.  Was at soccer all weekend so missed most of it.  One of my favorite non Lewis Nixon parts took place on the troop ship to England. 

Joe Toye is lying on a bed, with a huge crowd of soldiers in audience, when he snaps his switch blade out to demonstrate.  Nodding he says...

"Hitler gets one of these right across the windpipe. Roosevelt changes Thanksgiving to Joe Toye Day, and pays me ten Grand a year for the rest of my %@&%ing life!"

-Joe Toye

Another Joe Toye gem...

"Joe Toye: Three day supply of K-rations, chocolate bars, Charms candy, powdered coffee, sugar, matches, compass, bayonet, entrenching tool, ammunition, gas mask, musette bag with ammo, my weapon, my .45, canteen, two cartons of smokes, Hawkins mine, two grenades, smoke grenade, Gammon grenade, TNT, THIS bulls**t, and a pair of nasty skivvies!
Frank Perconte: What’s your point?
Joe Toye: This stuff weighs as much as I do! I still got my ‘chute, my reserve ‘chute, my Mae West, my M1.
Frank Perconte: Where you keeping the brass knuckles?
Joe Toye: I could use some brass knuckles."

Funny thing is, later on in the series, you see him belt a guy wearing brass knuckles. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sand said:
Bradford Freeman, the last member of Easy Company, has just passed at 97.

RIP to a company of true heroes.
I saw that yesterday, RIP warrior.

The 506th was made up of a number of companies, most travelled the same road as Easy and shared the same experiences they just didn't have the benefit of Stephen Ambrose picking them for a book. Not disparaging anything but I say that to say there are still a handful of members of the 506th out there. Very, very few but the one who comes to mind is Pee Wee Martin. Dude is still doing stud things at 101. He has a presence on Facebook as well if you want to discover more about him and his travels, posts lots of pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread