What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Basement Bars (1 Viewer)

Cliff Clavin

Footballguy
Putting a wet bar in my basement in the coming months and looking for input. From what I've read, standard height is 42", 15-20" bar top and about 36-40" walking space in behind. Sound right?

What do you like about yours? Dislike?

What did you use for counter tops and siding?

Pictures?

Putting a wet bar in my basement in the coming months and looking for input. From what I've read, standard height is 42", 15-20" bar top and about 36-40" walking space in behind. Sound right?What do you like about yours? Dislike?What did you use for counter tops and siding? Pictures?
:blackdot:

:blackdot:

Will be finishing the basement in the next few years. Will look to buy or repurpose one from someone else or a local bar but will probably end up building.

We put one in my basement that people really love. I'll try to get some pics and measurements later. Ours seats 5 in barstools (with backs and arms) comfortably. If the stools weren't there and folks were standing I'd say more like 8 people across. For the top we used granite tiles (like for a floor, but highly polished) and grouted them in. It looks pretty nice and different than what you often see. Beadboard around the area where the seated people's legs hang and side of bar. Mahogany rail.

For the bar top, we did two tiers. One level about two tiles (so roughly 2') deep at the height appropriate for the stools. The second layer is down I'll guess 8" in height and is one tile deep...this is on the "bartender" side. The sink sits here at this height. We also installed cabinets above the bar with a wood ceiling and overhead lights...the wood was stained to match the cabinets, beadboard, rail, etc...all traditional dark cherry type color.

Again, I'll try to get pics later as I feel I'm describing it poorly. Fire up any specific questions and I'll try to answer them...not likely till later though as I'll be leaving shortly and not back for about 5 hours or so.

:blackdot: Will be finishing the basement in the next few years. Will look to buy or repurpose one from someone else or a local bar but will probably end up building.
The building aspect of it looks pretty simple. Build a stub wall (possibly re-enforced if you're going with a heavy counter-top like granite), fix your cabinets to it, then add the top.

I think Godsbrother put a bar in his finished basement recently, he may be able to provide some insight for you

I'm gonna be a bit of a wet blanket here and say make sure you actually want/are going to use this. Everyone wants one but in my experience over 90% of the wet bars I see are unused at best. Just a heads up. Don't let this become like that piece of exercise equipment that makes a great clothes dryer now.

I'm gonna be a bit of a wet blanket here and say make sure you actually want/are going to use this. Everyone wants one but in my experience over 90% of the wet bars I see are unused at best. Just a heads up. Don't let this become like that piece of exercise equipment that makes a great clothes dryer now.
Also in that category is the hot tub

We have enough company over that we'll get enough use out of it. The way our basement is laid out we kind of have a dead spot that can't be used for much else. And if it does become unused, at least my elliptical will have company.

We have enough company over that we'll get enough use out of it. The way our basement is laid out we kind of have a dead spot that can't be used for much else. And if it does become unused, at least my elliptical will have company.
My wife may not agree but IMO the wet bar in our basement and the home gym I put in are the best things I ever did to our home. Every holiday is at our home because of the bar and the setup. This is key because I would rather be at home instead of driving and sitting at my in-laws.

We put one in my basement that people really love. I'll try to get some pics and measurements later. Ours seats 5 in barstools (with backs and arms) comfortably. If the stools weren't there and folks were standing I'd say more like 8 people across. For the top we used granite tiles (like for a floor, but highly polished) and grouted them in. It looks pretty nice and different than what you often see. Beadboard around the area where the seated people's legs hang and side of bar. Mahogany rail. For the bar top, we did two tiers. One level about two tiles (so roughly 2') deep at the height appropriate for the stools. The second layer is down I'll guess 8" in height and is one tile deep...this is on the "bartender" side. The sink sits here at this height. We also installed cabinets above the bar with a wood ceiling and overhead lights...the wood was stained to match the cabinets, beadboard, rail, etc...all traditional dark cherry type color. Again, I'll try to get pics later as I feel I'm describing it poorly. Fire up any specific questions and I'll try to answer them...not likely till later though as I'll be leaving shortly and not back for about 5 hours or so.
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

We put one in my basement that people really love. I'll try to get some pics and measurements later. Ours seats 5 in barstools (with backs and arms) comfortably. If the stools weren't there and folks were standing I'd say more like 8 people across. For the top we used granite tiles (like for a floor, but highly polished) and grouted them in. It looks pretty nice and different than what you often see. Beadboard around the area where the seated people's legs hang and side of bar. Mahogany rail. For the bar top, we did two tiers. One level about two tiles (so roughly 2') deep at the height appropriate for the stools. The second layer is down I'll guess 8" in height and is one tile deep...this is on the "bartender" side. The sink sits here at this height. We also installed cabinets above the bar with a wood ceiling and overhead lights...the wood was stained to match the cabinets, beadboard, rail, etc...all traditional dark cherry type color. Again, I'll try to get pics later as I feel I'm describing it poorly. Fire up any specific questions and I'll try to answer them...not likely till later though as I'll be leaving shortly and not back for about 5 hours or so.
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Sorry, I'm nursing some bruised ribs and forgot about this. Will get to it this AM.

I think Godsbrother put a bar in his finished basement recently, he may be able to provide some insight for you
I had my basement finished last summer/fall. It is a large basement so I had room for a dedicated theater, workout room, bathroom and large bar area.The bar itself is an angled "L" shape that is about 15' in total length. Currently I have 6 stools but I have enough room for another one. It is 42" high with a 22" top and another 5-6" arm rest. The top is a sealed wood but it was done by a custom cabinet maker so I am not sure what he used or how he did it. The only aspect of the basement work that I did was the design and electrical -- everything else was subbed-out.

My favorite features are the 3-tap kegerator, the touch-screen jukebox and the wood bar, top, and bulkhead which look great. I also opted for a brass rail which was a real nice touch over a wood kick box. I skimped a little on the counter top below the bar top. It is a laminate but at first glance looks like granite.

Here are some pics

I had my basement finished last summer/fall. It is a large basement so I had room for a dedicated theater, workout room, bathroom and large bar area.The bar itself is an angled "L" shape that is about 15' in total length. Currently I have 6 stools but I have enough room for another one. It is 42" high with a 22" top and another 5-6" arm rest. The top is a sealed wood but it was done by a custom cabinet maker so I am not sure what he used or how he did it. The only aspect of the basement work that I did was the design and electrical -- everything else was subbed-out.

My favorite features are the 3-tap kegerator, the touch-screen jukebox and the wood bar, top, and bulkhead which look great. I also opted for a brass rail which was a real nice touch over a wood kick box. I skimped a little on the counter top below the bar top. It is a laminate but at first glance looks like granite.

Here are some pics
That thing is a work of art, nice job :thumbup:

Here are some pics
Very nice :thumbup: How did you setup the jukebox? Touch screen monitor with a desktop underneath?

Here are some pics
That thing is a work of art, nice job :thumbup:
Thanks Lumpy. A lifelong dream come true. The best part is I have a lot more ideas for the future so it should keep me busy for years to come. Unfortunately the wife is making me concentrate on other areas of the house right now.

Here are some pics
Very nice :thumbup: How did you setup the jukebox? Touch screen monitor with a desktop underneath?
Touch screen monitor with a little Shuttle PC in a closet. The software I am using is Jukebox Jockey

Mine is definitely more low-rent than Godsbrother's...but it has been getting the job done for us. Here are the pics:

Wine/Liquor rack and overhead cabinets view

Closeup of sink and bar top

Full bar photo

Measurements are as follows:

Bar length - 12'10"

Depth on "customer" side - 2' + 4" rail

Height on "customer" side - 43"

Depth on "bartender" side - 1'

Height on "bartender" side - 36"

Cabinet on rack side - 36" wide

Full rack width - 48"

Cabinets over bar - 25" deep

Cabinets over rear area - 13" deep (this is where the projector is mounted and shoots backwards, so people at barstools have view of screen.

Cut in to fit sink - 6"

Basement also has two rows of seats "behind" bartender area for watching screen. Pics were taken from open area (currently serving as kids' play area) that is entrance to basement from steps. The whole finished area is a reverse capital L. Imagine the tall part as the bar area extending through to theater, with horizontal part as kid's area.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Mine is definitely more low-rent than Godsbrother's...but it has been getting the job done for us. Here are the pics:

Full bar photo

Bar length - 12'10"

Full rack width - 48"

Cabinets over rear area - 13" deep (this is where the projector is mounted and shoots backwards, so people at barstools have view of screen.

Cut in to fit sink - 6"

Basement also has two rows of seats "behind" bartender area for watching screen. Pics were taken from open area (currently serving as kids' play area) that is entrance to basement from steps. The whole finished area is a reverse capital L. Imagine the tall part as the bar area extending through to theater, with horizontal part as kid's area.

Very nice. Custom build? Granite tops or tile? With a hard counter top like granite, is there any worry about breaking glasses?

Those granite tiles do look sharp...
While I can't tell if that is sarcasm or not (I recognize that some people want a full unbroken appearance to their bar top), I have to say it was INSANELY cost effective. These were on sale/clearance at Home Depot when I got them and while I don't remember the price it was silly cheap. Something around $2/sq ft. So with it being roughly 13x3 plus a few extra for cuts it was about 60 tiles total...or about $120 for a granite top. We had seen a bar before like that and thought it was cool...plus since we do a lot of entertaining there we can put hot items on it without worrying about damage for the most part. When it is cleaned and shining it looks pretty nice and we get compliments on it.

Mine is definitely more low-rent than Godsbrother's...but it has been getting the job done for us. Here are
Looks damn nice to me!
:goodposting: Like the column wrap with the trim on the bar.
Thanks to both of you. The column wrap came out much better than we even expected. It kind of ties things together nicely. There is another column in the theater area we also wrapped and it looks good there as well. Another cheap Home Depot product. The mahogany rail was pretty much the only thing that was "expensive" in doing it since I found deals on just about everything else. (By the way, I'm thrifty/cheap.)

Very nice. Custom build? Granite tops or tile?

With a hard counter top like granite, is there any worry about breaking glasses?
It was a custom design (my neighbor does basements and decks) that we worked on together. The cabinets were Yorktown and we did those because my buddy worked for Toll Brothers builders at the time and was able to order them for me at his cost. So while the design was custom, we had some restraints based on what cabinets were available and what I wanted to pay. The top is granite tile from HD, color is ubatuba. That link is 18x18, we used 12x12 for it with a medium grey grout...put in pretty thin to minimize the grout appearance.We've had the bar for about 6 years now, with many beverages consumed there, and not a single glass has been broken.

Yet.

While I can't tell if that is sarcasm or not (I recognize that some people want a full unbroken appearance to their bar top), I have to say it was INSANELY cost effective.
Not sarcasm, I like them! :thumbup: and an extra :thumbup: for the cost effective part, I am all about that.P.S. I have a basement bar build in my future too...

Full bar photo

Bar length - 12'10"

Full rack width - 48"

Cut in to fit sink - 6"

Very nice. Custom build? Granite tops or tile? With a hard counter top like granite, is there any worry about breaking glasses?
Installed granite in our kitchen about 5 years ago. We have broken more glasses that I can count in that span. I went with recycled bowling alley wood for the bartop for this very reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Full bar photo

Bar length - 12'10"

Full rack width - 48"

Cut in to fit sink - 6"

What is the depth of overhang on customer side, where the barstools slide under?

Here are some pics
What is the overhang on your bar? Alos what is the distance between the bar and the wall where you walk behind the bar?

Here are some pics
What is the overhang on your bar? Alos what is the distance between the bar and the wall where you walk behind the bar?
The overhang (or what I was calling the armrest) is 5" or 6" -- is this what you are asking?ETA: On second thought I am suppose you mean the distance from the front of the bar to the front edge of the bar top. I'll have to measure it tonight -- I am thinking it is roughly 18" or so but I could be off.

I'll have to measure the walking space behind the bar tonight and get back to you. It is fine for one person to walk around but a little tight if you have more than one bartender.

Here are some pics
The overhang (or what I was calling the armrest) is 5" or 6" -- is this what you are asking?ETA: On second thought I am suppose you mean the distance from the front of the bar to the front edge of the bar top. I'll have to measure it tonight -- I am thinking it is roughly 18" or so but I could be off.

I'll have to measure the walking space behind the bar tonight and get back to you. It is fine for one person to walk around but a little tight if you have more than one bartender.
If you slid the bar stool under the bar, how far would it go? I think the 6" is what you are saying. That's what I'm wondering about. How did you come up with that number? (How did you decide 6" was a good amount. I'm debating 6-10" for the bar stools to slide under.)

Here are some pics

If you slid the bar stool under the bar, how far would it go? I think the 6" is what you are saying. That's what I'm wondering about. How did you cvome up with that number? (How did you decide 6" was a good amoutn. I'm debating 6-10" for the bar stools to slide under.)
It is definitely more than 6" but I will measure it and get back to on that. The other issue in the stools sliding under the bar is that I have a brass rail on the bottom. If you push the stools in the legs hit the brass rail before the backs of the stools could touch the front edge of the bar.

It is definitely more than 6" but I will measure it and get back to on that. The other issue in the stools sliding under the bar is that I have a brass rail on the bottom. If you push the stools in the legs hit the brass rail before the backs of the stools could touch the front edge of the bar.
That's ok. I'll do the same there but the distance that ones legs go under the bar is what I am most interested. Too short of an overhang and you are too far away from the bar as your knees hit the bar.

That's ok. I'll do the same there but the distance that ones legs go under the bar is what I am most interested. Too short of an overhang and you are too far away from the bar as your knees hit the bar.
This has definitely not been a problem

This has definitely not been a problem
I'm going to guess it's like 10-12" inches then.

i think this is a good posting and applies to almost everything.people spend so much money on stuff they don't need, will most likely rarely use, and could easily get along without.I'm guilty of this. I bought a hot tub... and i used it the first 2-3 years quite a bit, but now it's just kind of there... used on rare occasion at best... i wouldn't miss it if it were gone.i've got plenty of friends with pool tables that say the same thing.I think if people were really honest with themselves in terms of how much they'd really use something before buying it that not very much stuff would get bought.So it's probably better for the overall economy that they don't follow this advice.

i think this is a good posting and applies to almost everything.people spend so much money on stuff they don't need, will most likely rarely use, and could easily get along without.I'm guilty of this. I bought a hot tub... and i used it the first 2-3 years quite a bit, but now it's just kind of there... used on rare occasion at best... i wouldn't miss it if it were gone.i've got plenty of friends with pool tables that say the same thing.I think if people were really honest with themselves in terms of how much they'd really use something before buying it that not very much stuff would get bought.So it's probably better for the overall economy that they don't follow this advice.
This is a good point and I think it depends on your situation. My brother owns and runs a very successful business and is either working 16 hours a day, is out on the golf course or is traveling to his beach house. About 12-15 years ago he had a nice but small basement bar built and a very expensive pool table.When I was working on my basement project last summer he told me he never goes down to his anymore and was wondering why I was going through the time, expense and effort. The difference for me is I am constantly entertaining at my house whereas he never does.Every Thursday night my buddies come over the house for drinks and conversation. During football season everyone comes over to my house to watch the Steelers road games and during the hockey playoffs they are here watching the Penguins (if the Pirates ever get good I am sure they would be over for that). During the year I host a beerfest, burger cookoff, wing challenge and New Years Eve party. In short we are using the hell out of the bar.The home theater is used virtually every night. Once we got a taste of a 110" screen, the 42" in the upstairs family room seems small and the sound system and acoustics in the theater blow away the system I have upstairs. So for us it has turned out to be a good decision, for others it might not have been.

This is a good point and I think it depends on your situation. My brother owns and runs a very successful business and is either working 16 hours a day, is out on the golf course or is traveling to his beach house. About 12-15 years ago he had a nice but small basement bar built and a very expensive pool table.When I was working on my basement project last summer he told me he never goes down to his anymore and was wondering why I was going through the time, expense and effort. The difference for me is I am constantly entertaining at my house whereas he never does.Every Thursday night my buddies come over the house for drinks and conversation. During football season everyone comes over to my house to watch the Steelers road games and during the hockey playoffs they are here watching the Penguins (if the Pirates ever get good I am sure they would be over for that). During the year I host a beerfest, burger cookoff, wing challenge and New Years Eve party. In short we are using the hell out of the bar.The home theater is used virtually every night. Once we got a taste of a 110" screen, the 42" in the upstairs family room seems small and the sound system and acoustics in the theater blow away the system I have upstairs. So for us it has turned out to be a good decision, for others it might not have been.
yours seems like it was a good purchase. I know a lot more people like your brother though (not in terms of success or 16 hour days). It takes someone who really focuses on making it work to make it a success.I do the same thing with my boat.. i try like heck to use it to get my hours in of enjoyment on it.

:lol: Always so pessimistic.

these bars put mine to shame. a buddy and I built my bar, just a simple 9' bar with a slab of granite on top. its not a wet bar but I didn't think I really HAD to have that and was a little limited in the space behind the bar. IIRC, the granite ran me about $800 installed, and the rest of the materials were a couple hundred. Its a nice bar but nowhere near as nice as the ones I see here.

I'd have to measure to be exact but I think I have an 8-10" overhang on the 'customer' side of the bar, with about 3 feet behind it for the bartender.

Users who are viewing this thread