What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bates Gone (1 Viewer)

You have got to be #######g kidding me. Next to go is Favre now.I am so close to not even rooting for Green Bay anymore. Forget Ted Thompson and forget Mike McCarthy. That was Bates' job and everyone knew that. :X :X

What a setback to GB. The fans will be calling for Thompson's head soon enough.
I already think Thompson and McCarthy are tools. I love the Pack, but I'm not a fan of this admin.

What are the odds that Bates follows Sherman where he goes? They made a decent team this year minus the injuries. I am most definitely not a Thompson fan now.

Bates got jobbed big time. It's understandable why Wayne didn't give him the job over the likes of Nick Saban, but it was a slap to his face to give the Green Bay job to that joker over him.Maybe he'll end up in St. Louis working for Linehan if that's the way they go. They could make a stout combination if you ask me.

Rumors on Pats boards are that Bates is coming on board to be the DC in NE. Will be announced very soon.Personally, as a Pats fan, I'm very happy with this.

The Rams or Bills would be smart to look at him as a HC. Heck, any team with an opening would be. If he doesn't get a HC job, the Texans should offer him HC money to be their DC.

Rumors on Pats boards are that Bates is coming on board to be the DC in NE. Will be announced very soon.

Personally, as a Pats fan, I'm very happy with this.
wow. talk about an unholy alliance of great defensive coaches.

Rumors on Pats boards are that Bates is coming on board to be the DC in NE. Will be announced very soon.

If this happens I will be a new Patriots fan. I like the Packers first and foremost with the Jets as my AFC team but they have fubared everything there too. I am almost in need of a new NFC team... I may have found my AFC team if Bates goes to any AFC team. :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

wow. talk about an unholy alliance of great defensive coaches.
I don't really see how their styles will mesh, but I have to admit that is my nightmare scenario as a Dolphins fan. I want to root for Bates, but I can't do it if he's in the division. That goes double for him joining forces with BB.Getting one of the rumored new defensive coordinators for the Dolphins (Pees, Capers) would salve the wound this would cause quite a bit, though.

There is merit to the Pats jump as Bates has a history with BB from his days in Cleveland.

COACHING BACKGROUND:Year College/Pro Team Position Coached1968 Univ. of Tennessee Graduate Assistant1972 Southern Mississippi Freshman Coach1973 Villanova Offensive Line1974 Villanova Linebackers1975-76 Kansas State Linebackers1977 West Virginia Secondary1978-79 Texas Tech Secondary1980-83 Texas Tech Defensive Coordinator/Secondary1984 San Antonio Gunslingers (USFL) Defensive Coordinator1985 San Antonio Gunslingers (USFL) Head Coach1986 Arizona Outlaws (USFL) Defensive Coordinator1988 Detroit Drive (Arena) Assistant Coach1989 Univ. of Tennessee Linebackers1990 Univ. of Florida Defensive Coordinator/Secondary1991 Cleveland Browns Linebackers1992-93 Cleveland Browns Defensive Ends1994 Atlanta Falcons Defensive Coordinator1995 Cleveland Browns Secondary1996-97 Dallas Cowboys Linebackers1998-99 Dallas Cowboys Asst. Head Coach/Defensive Line2000-04 Miami Dolphins Defensive Coordinator2004 Miami Dolphins Defensive Coordinator/Interim Head Coach (7 gm)2005 Green Bay Packers Defensive Coordinator
Also, I looked up how the Miami D performed under his run, and man, I didn't realize it was so impressive:2000 #32001 #112002 #42003 #32004 #20Also, it was #19 the year before he showed up.

Also, I looked up how the Miami D performed under his run, and man, I didn't realize it was so impressive:

2000 #3

2001 #11

2002 #4

2003 #3

2004 #20

Also, it was #19 the year before he showed up.
There is a reason why every Miami fan I know was pulling for Bates to get that Packers job. He's a hell of a coach, and it would have kept him out of the division.

I'll be pretty well shocked if he doesn't get a head coaching deal somewhere. I think a combination of Jim Bates and Mike Sherman would be filthy, if some team were to go with Bates as HC and Sherman as OC. I agree with the poster who said that Green Bay just got set back a couple of years as a franchise.

I'll be pretty well shocked if he doesn't get a head coaching deal somewhere. I think a combination of Jim Bates and Mike Sherman would be filthy, if some team were to go with Bates as HC and Sherman as OC.

I agree with the poster who said that Green Bay just got set back a couple of years as a franchise.
I'm going to be pretty shocked if Bates does get a HC job. His shot clearly seemed to be Green Bay. He's one of those guys who doesn't fit the image of what owners want in a head coach because he's a little old (see Jim Johnson) and doesn't exactly look the part. It's a pity -- I'd love it if he got a job outside of the ones in the AFC East.

I'll be pretty well shocked if he doesn't get a head coaching deal somewhere. I think a combination of Jim Bates and Mike Sherman would be filthy, if some team were to go with Bates as HC and Sherman as OC.

I agree with the poster who said that Green Bay just got set back a couple of years as a franchise.
That certainly would be odd. A HC now working under his former DC.Though I would actually be surprised to see Bates get a shot as a HC given his age (59?). Its rare for a career coordinator to get his first shot at that age, and was in fact one of the many factors that was cited as to why Romeo Crennel didn't get a chance until just recently.

I just want to make sure I have this right:Mangini is the new coach of the JetsIf Bates did in fact get the Buffalo job, the whole division would be full of BB or BB-connected coaches.That would be something, even if I would hate to see the Bills get somebody that good.

This certainly isn't good news, but it's not the end of the world yet. Let's give McCarthy and whoever he hires at least a year before we denounce the whole administration.

I'll be pretty well shocked if he doesn't get a head coaching deal somewhere.  I think a combination of Jim Bates and Mike Sherman would be filthy, if some team were to go with Bates as HC and Sherman as OC. 

That certainly would be odd. A HC now working under his former DC.Though I would actually be surprised to see Bates get a shot as a HC given his age (59?). Its rare for a career coordinator to get his first shot at that age, and was in fact one of the many factors that was cited as to why Romeo Crennel didn't get a chance until just recently.
The 49ers don't think it is odd, see the Turner thread.

I think bates is hurt that no one considers him HC material, considering what he did with Miami after wanny quit. He was an afterthought in the interview process in Miami, and seems to hae been an afterthought in GB as well.Bates in New England makes little sense to me. He ran a completely different Defensive scheme than what BB runs. Just don't see it as a good marriage. However, Bates may be looking at it as a pedigree to finally get the HC job he wants.

I think we need to look at WHY he has not been considered for head coaching jobs in the past. Sure, he may do fine if given the reigns, but why has he been passed over for the the past 35 years (except a one year stint in the USFL and an interim job with the 'Phins).

I think we need to look at WHY he has not been considered for head coaching jobs in the past. Sure, he may do fine if given the reigns, but why has he been passed over for the the past 35 years (except a one year stint in the USFL and an interim job with the 'Phins).
Truth be told, if it wasn't for Saban, I think bates would be the HC in Miami. He gets passed over because he is an old white guy without the pedigree of the up and comers. THat being said, his players love him and play hard for him, and when he was HC for the phins, the team looked respectable. (3-4 down the stretch with a big monday night win vs. the pats).He is not the "sexy" pick, and has no real liniage that you can refer to (Dungy, BB, Vermiel, or WCO).

Things that frustrate me:1. Listening to Milwaukee sports talk radio, a lot of the players are clearly disappointed that Bates wasn't hired as HC, and that he is now gone. Not a great way for the team to start the offseason.2. McCarthy has primarily coached under losers (Nolan and Haslett -- wow). When Holmgren and his wonder kids came in, us fans sort of had the feeling that we were stealing the best young up-and-coming coaching talent from the best organizations, and that things were on the upswing. I don't have that feeling now, and I don't know anyone else that does, either -- for whatever that is worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have got to be #######g kidding me. Next to go is Favre now.

I am so close to not even rooting for Green Bay anymore. Forget Ted Thompson and forget Mike McCarthy. That was Bates' job and everyone knew that.

:X :X
Why? Because he did a very good job with the defense he is automatically qualified to be head coach?

If this happens I will be a new Patriots fan. I like the Packers first and foremost with the Jets as my AFC team but they have fubared everything there too. I am almost in need of a new NFC team... I may have found my AFC team if Bates goes to any AFC team. :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:
Good...go...the true Packer fans do not need people that would jump ship because a coach did not get the HC job.

Things that frustrate me:

1. Listening to Milwaukee sports talk radio, a lot of the players are clearly disappointed that Bates wasn't hired as HC, and that he is now gone. Not a great way for the team to start the offseason.

2. McCarthy has primarily coached under losers (Nolan and Haslett -- wow). When Holmgren and his wonder kids came in, us fans sort of had the feeling that we were stealing the best young up-and-coming coaching talent from the best organizations, and that things were on the upswing. I don't have that feeling now, and I don't know anyone else that does, either -- for whatever that is worth.
:goodposting:

Have you watched Sherman's offenses...and his playcalling in the past 3 years? Terrible.And just because a coach leaves...how does that automatically set the team back a couple of years?

Jump to conclusions much?

Last edited by a moderator:

That'd be too fast. It could happen but geesh BB and Kraft would have to talk to the guy first.

And just because a coach leaves...how does that automatically set the team back a couple of years?

it often does. I would say "more often than not" but have no stats to back this up.

I hope Buffalo interviews him. If a defensive minded coach could succeed up there, those fans would fall in love.

And just because a coach leaves...how does that automatically set the team back a couple of years?

it often does. I would say "more often than not" but have no stats to back this up.
How much is it going to set back a team that was 4-12?More often than not it is when a string of losses is set there...and the cap situation is all over the place.

What McCarthy and his new staff will have going for him is alot of young players on both sides of the ball, a top 5 draft pick, and plenty of cap space (depending on how Thompson wants to use it).

I'd like to know if Bates was going to leave if he didn't get the HC regardless of who was hired. If so, then I can't feel too badly for the loss. But otherwise I am not impressed with Thompson's first year as GM.

How much is it going to set back a team that was 4-12?
Well that's a real good pointWhat'll they regress to 3-13? 2-14? I didn't think of that

Anybody get the feeling Thompson has little regard for the past 15 years of Packer football and is seeking, perhaps to his detriment, to put his stamp on this team, even if it means really shaking things up for a year or two (and perhaps indefinitely)?A little too much "my way or the highway" so far for my taste...

Anybody get the feeling Thompson has little regard for the past 15 years of Packer football and is seeking, perhaps to his detriment, to put his stamp on this team, even if it means really shaking things up for a year or two (and perhaps indefinitely)?

A little too much "my way or the highway" so far for my taste...
What would you want Thompson to do differently?

Anybody get the feeling Thompson has little regard for the past 15 years of Packer football and is seeking, perhaps to his detriment, to put his stamp on this team, even if it means really shaking things up for a year or two (and perhaps indefinitely)?

How so?How is getting rid of Sherman showing little regard for that history? Or not hiring Bates...

I would have liked for him to keep one of the two guards, either Wahle or Rivera. Maybe even both particularly as there is a lot of cap space now. I am one who thinks Favre still has another few good years left as long as the team commits to supporting him with the right players. Seems like Thompson may be shutting it down a bit early.

I will keep a close eye on his draft this year.

I am one who thinks Favre still has another few good years left as long as the team commits to supporting him with the right players. Seems like Thompson may be shutting it down a bit early.

I will keep a close eye on his draft this year.
Shutting it down? How so?Both Thompson and McCarthy have stated they are not in rebuilding mode and they want Favre back.

How so?How is getting rid of Sherman showing little regard for that history? Or not hiring Bates...
I am only speculating. But I would like to know if Thompson went to Bates and tried to figure out a way to keep Bates while hiring another HC. It doesn't seem like that happend, but I don't know for sure. If it didn't, it's awful management.

This Thompson bashing has got to stop. The guy has only been in GB for a year and it takes time to fix the mess that Sherman left as a GM. Yeah it sucks that Bates left but the fact is he's 59 years old with no head coaching experience, there may be a reason for that. Yeah the Packers defense improved last year but look at their schedule. The defense faced QB's like Orton, Grossman, Harrington twice, Batch, Dilfer, McMahon, Boller, B Johnson twice, Brooks, Vick & Griese. The only really good QB's that Packer defense faced this year were Palmer, Delhomme and Hasselbeck (for a half). I would hope the defense would look good against stiffs like that.We need to give Thompson time. Unfortunately Packer fans are spoiled and expect the playoffs every year. The Packers have had a tremendous run but years of drafting at the end of the first round and really crappy drafts have caught up with them. Let see what happens.

Sure, I wanted Bates to stay as I think the defense took some very good strides this past season...but let us all look beyond just that #1 pass D stat (according to yards) and look at the overall picture...and then tell me if you think Bates should have been HC.Start with the passing yards...GB also had allowed the fewest passing attempts per game...teams were running more on them than throwing...Passing TDs... they gave up 22 passing TDs...pretty poor.Were not good as far as forcing turnovers.Were not that good against the run.I think were last, or near last in the league in red zone scoring percentage against...While they had some sacks...it appeared there was no consistent pass rush ever.And the other thing about yardage stats...it does not take into an account the short field the offense was putting the defense in. While the defense was put in a bad position, they still gave up the points...but it minimized the yardage...skewing that stat a bit.The good...very good on 3rd and 4th down...cut down penalties...the team played with alot more fire...Kampman came on...and Barnett finally broke out as the guy that had drafted in the first round...Some of this just needed to be posted with all the people thinking this team will now just fold because the DC left....

I am one who thinks Favre still has another few good years left as long as the team commits to supporting him with the right players. Seems like Thompson may be shutting it down a bit early.I will keep a close eye on his draft this year.
Shutting it down? How so?Both Thompson and McCarthy have stated they are not in rebuilding mode and they want Favre back.
If either of those guys say otherwise, they will be included as fair game during deer hunting season.

Users who are viewing this thread